Gerrard to Newcastle?

troy

42 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You can’t just jump straight to the top, Need to build the club, get to mid table consitently, then top 7 once there can look for better manager and players .. 

Correct. A few posters earlier in the thread were predicting all kinds of nonsense. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

55 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Struggling to attract a top manager ...

Emery Is about to reject the chance to join Newcastle and stay with Villarreal on Radio 1 this morning. 

The guy has won like 5 Europa Leagues. It looks like the owners are already struggling to find someone. I would not be surprised if they turned to Eddie Howe. I can see them getting relegated this season and that would put back the new owners plans and idea about 2/3 years. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

You can’t just jump straight to the top, Need to build the club, get to mid table consitently, then top 7 once there can look for better manager and players .. 

When Conte joined Tottenham, they commented how he took Chelsea from 10th to winning in his first season.

I'd agree though that the realistic plan should be:-

2021/22 - Not be relegated

2022/23 - Top half

2023/24 - Qualifying for Europe

2024/25 - Targetting top 4

With the reported money they will be accessing, this should be an achievable target

5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

When Conte joined Tottenham, they commented how he took Chelsea from 10th to winning in his first season.

2022/23 - Top half

With the reported money they will be accessing, this should be an achievable target

Is that no Steven Glass's target ? 😂

IveSeenTheLight
11 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Is that no Steven Glass's target ? 😂

We've not had the results our play has deserved and are only 6 points behind third.

We'll still be targeting 3rd place ;)

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

We've not had the results our play has deserved and are only 6 points behind third.

In what games? 

14 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

2022/23 - Top half

Chelsea are a London club though and I think those clubs have an easier time of it attracting talent. Think they will be needing to build steadily rather than going for top talent right away. Howe did really well at Bournemouth and was always fighting a losing battle. He likely won't get them to Champions League football but he could definitely be the one to kickstart their project and make them competitive over the next 3 years. If they do go down, he's been there and done it before to get them back up and could help facilitate a better kind of rebuild - young hungry players who can then be added to following promotion. 

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, OTT said:

Chelsea are a London club though and I think those clubs have an easier time of it attracting talent. Think they will be needing to build steadily rather than going for top talent right away. Howe did really well at Bournemouth and was always fighting a losing battle. He likely won't get them to Champions League football but he could definitely be the one to kickstart their project and make them competitive over the next 3 years. If they do go down, he's been there and done it before to get them back up and could help facilitate a better kind of rebuild - young hungry players who can then be added to following promotion. 

I just referenced Conte as someone who did manage to take Chelsea from maybe a false low position of 10th to not just be competing but to win the league

I do agree that Newcastle need a longer term stability and sustained progress.

Its still a huge challenge if they are saved from relegation this year to be competing for Europe in 2 years.

Remember though, Leicester went from saving relegation to league champions in one season and their not a London club, but agree that was exceptional

25 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

You don't have much understanding of football.

Saturday second half especially is how to play football. Aberdeen weren't playing football up till then. Some weird slow motion performance art. At least they have changed it giving themselves a chance now with a decent squad.

Forever Hearts
29 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

St Johnstone, Motherwell, St Mirren, Ross County. 

Maybe Motherwell, but even then you still lost 2-0. The rest you probably got what you deserved, although the sending off at St Mirren obviously changes the game. 

2 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Emery Is about to reject the chance to join Newcastle and stay with Villarreal on Radio 1 this morning. 

The guy has won like 5 Europa Leagues. It looks like the owners are already struggling to find someone. I would not be surprised if they turned to Eddie Howe. I can see them getting relegated this season and that would put back the new owners plans and idea about 2/3 years. 

Just shows, giving them bucket loads of cash still doesn't make them an attractive proposition.

It's still Newcastle after all :lol:

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just shows, giving them bucket loads of cash still doesn't make them an attractive proposition.

It's still Newcastle after all :lol:

They could be in serious trouble if they don't start winning and Leeds,Burnley,Watford,Villa keep getting points. I would love to see Newcastle go down would be funny to see. They get rid of Ashley think they will win the EPL over night and end up in the championship. 

9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

They could be in serious trouble if they don't start winning and Leeds,Burnley,Watford,Villa keep getting points. I would love to see Newcastle go down would be funny to see. They get rid of Ashley think they will win the EPL over night and end up in the championship. 

I hear you 😂

IveSeenTheLight
36 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Maybe Motherwell, but even then you still lost 2-0. The rest you probably got what you deserved, although the sending off at St Mirren obviously changes the game. 

Never min.

The soft sending off changed the St Mirren game, so that's maybe the only one where the end result ultimately was reserved.

The others we totally dominated and lost stupid silly goals from the oppositions only attacks.

We are a team in transition that has a new manager, new style of play, new players to bed in, 5 defenders all injured.

Were starting to get the results we deserver and as a result, I'm expecting more points in the second round of fixtures and get closer to that 3rd spot 

IveSeenTheLight
53 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You don't have much understanding of football.

:rofl:

54 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Saturday second half especially is how to play football. Aberdeen weren't playing football up till then. Some weird slow motion performance art. At least they have changed it giving themselves a chance now with a decent squad.

Yes, it was a cautious start to the game, not unexpected given we have 5 defenders out and playing midfielders in defence. The first half both teams effectively cancelled each other out, albeit we created slightly more chances.

Hearts usually come out of the blocks full pelt as they did at Tynecastle, but it didn't turn out that way. Only Devlin seemed to be trying to impress any urgency in your team. 

Second have as you say we dominated, but I don't think it was outwith the realm for Hearts to counter our formation change. Neilson just didn't do it

IveSeenTheLight

Anyway, back on topic.

It'll be interesting to see who Newcastle appoint. I can see it being a short term and then change managers as Man City did until they were more attractive to the top quality managers

Forever Hearts
19 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Never min.

The soft sending off changed the St Mirren game, so that's maybe the only one where the end result ultimately was reserved.

The others we totally dominated and lost stupid silly goals from the oppositions only attacks.

We are a team in transition that has a new manager, new style of play, new players to bed in, 5 defenders all injured.

Were starting to get the results we deserver and as a result, I'm expecting more points in the second round of fixtures and get closer to that 3rd spot 

You had three shots on target against St Johnstone and got booed off the park at full-time. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

If you want to go down that route then we are probably around at least 6-8 points behind what we have "deserved" 

Football doesn't work like that though 

20 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Aberdeen been shit all season, they beat us and suddenly he's back all over our forum.

Away and piss off.

This.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

You had three shots on target against St Johnstone and got booed off the park at full-time. 

We dominated the St Johnstone game and whilst we had struggled to create from open play, we didn't deserve to lose to the single shot they had on a counter attack.

We've got Watkins in to support Ramirez though and that will help with the creativity

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

If you want to go down that route then we are probably around at least 6-8 points behind what we have "deserved" 

Football doesn't work like that though 

Fair enough, but I still expect us to have a better return of results in the 2nd round of fixtures that we had in the first.

49 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Aberdeen been shit all season, they beat us and suddenly he's back all over our forum.

Away and piss off.

I've regularly posted on here and generally moreso around games or to respond to questions asked. Exception was when I had a wee holiday

anyway, I'm surprised that it is taking Newcastle so long to appoint a replacement

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Anyway, back on topic.

It'll be interesting to see who Newcastle appoint. I can see it being a short term and then change managers as Man City did until they were more attractive to the top quality managers

I thought Howe would be considered but there is reports this morning the Norwich manager could face the sack and Howe is fav to get that job.  I think no manager currently employed will leave to go to Newcastle. Unless its maybe a manager in the Championship but even that If they went for Scott Parker from Bournemouth I don't think he would leave. Newcastle are in a very strange position at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I thought Howe would be considered but there is reports this morning the Norwich manager could face the sack and Howe is fav to get that job.  I think no manager currently employed will leave to go to Newcastle. Unless its maybe a manager in the Championship but even that If they went for Scott Parker from Bournemouth I don't think he would leave. Newcastle are in a very strange position at the moment. 

Possibly an extreme example but they will potentially end up in the market that the newly rich European clubs are in where they employ lots of the mercenary type players and managers due to location and historical lack of success. The top players and managers want the big clubs in good cities. Liverpool and Man City get away with it due to being cities with football heritage, Newcastle as a club won’t have that perception of it. 

IveSeenTheLight
6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I agree, they need that interim manager like Man city had with Hughes before they went for Pellegrini and Mancini before finally getting Pep.

I can see Howe going there, but is he the right man to save them from relegation and get them into the top half / challenging for Europe.

They're also linked with Fonseca, who could also be that interim manager, but he lacks the knowledge of English football that Howe will have.

Surely they need to get resolved sooner than later. Tottenham sacked Nuno and had Conte in the next day

Forever Hearts
42 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

We dominated the St Johnstone game and whilst we had struggled to create from open play, we didn't deserve to lose to the single shot they had on a counter attack.

We've got Watkins in to support Ramirez though and that will help with the creativity

By dominated do you mean had the most possession? Should that not be a given at home to St Johnstone? 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

By dominated do you mean had the most possession? Should that not be a given at home to St Johnstone? 

We were beaten 1-0 in that game, but our play didn't merit a defeat.

That was my point and although early days we didn;t get the results our play warranted, we appear to have turned a corner and I'm feeling far more confident that with the improvement we have made, the fact that we are getting our better attacking players back and have been able to cover our defensive injuries, including losing the most promising right back in Scottish football).

6 points from 3rd  is not unsurmountable and I'm hoping its down to 4 come Saturday evening and the international break

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

That was my point and although early days we didn;t get the results our play warranted, we appear to have turned a corner and I'm feeling far more confident that with the improvement we have made, the fact that we are getting our better attacking players back and have been able to cover our defensive injuries, including losing the most promising right back in Scottish football).

6 points from 3rd  is not unsurmountable and I'm hoping its down to 4 come Saturday evening and the international break

You beat 10 dustbins (Gordon is excused) by the odd goal last week, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. 

27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Possibly an extreme example but they will potentially end up in the market that the newly rich European clubs are in where they employ lots of the mercenary type players and managers due to location and historical lack of success. The top players and managers want the big clubs in good cities. Liverpool and Man City get away with it due to being cities with football heritage, Newcastle as a club won’t have that perception of it. 

Not sure if the owners have a plan going forward.

City got lucky getting Tevez,Barry,Silva and Toure in a couple of seasons.

A great ground that they rent and a brilliant plan to take the club forward.

Newcastle have none of those by the looks of it.

Edited by benny

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

You beat 10 dustbins (Gordon is excused) by the odd goal last week, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. 

I thought Devlin was very good for you first half.

Certainly I was glad that Boyce wasn't playing as he would have given us a much tougher time

Time will tell though, one game at a time and hoping we get a good result against Motherwell

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, benny said:

Not sure if the owners have a plan going forward.

City got lucky getting Tevez,Barry,Silva and Toure in a couple of seasons.

A great ground that they rent and a brilliant plan to take the club forward.

Newcastle have none of those by the looks of it.

Surely Newcastle have a decent ground and a fantastic support.

I have heard that the ground does need updating though.

They've got to be thinking that things will be better than they were under Mike Ashley

2 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Never min.

I think you'll find that generally team's losing "stupid silly goals" tend to lose and are certainly not deserving of success.

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Another one turned them down, go for it Stevie 😆

If I was the owners and wanted to build a team and was happy to give a blank cheque book, and would pay millions to get a manager out their contract I would be paying whatever Leicester City and Rodgers wanted wage wise. He is the best British manager at the moment. 

Jambo in Bathgate
42 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Newcastle would be better going down to Championship and building from there. They are not from a fashionable city like the Manchester and London clubs. It’s difficult to attract top players and managers until they have a track record of success in home competitions.

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, sirwalter said:

I think you'll find that generally team's losing "stupid silly goals" tend to lose and are certainly not deserving of success.

Yep that was an issue, I accept that. Not helped with our defensive injuries and keeper confidence issues.

Combined with our lack of creativity from open play (most of our goals were coming from free-kicks or corners, it resulted in us not getting the points we should have gathered from our domination of the games.

Both appear to have been addressed, with injured players coming back improving our midfield to attack link and an improvement defensively.

The first round of results are what they were, we were poor and behind where we wanted to be. The signs are good that we will fair better and hope that does indeed come to fruition

16 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Interesting how your results have improved since "the most promising right back in Scottish football" disappeared from the team sheet. 

1 minute ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Newcastle would be better going down to Championship and building from there. They are not from a fashionable city like the Manchester and London clubs. It’s difficult to attract top players and managers until they have a track record of success in home competitions.

They go on about why would players want to live in Newcastle. Why don't the relocate to Edinburgh no far for them 😂 Could get to Newcastle quicker than players would form London or Manchester all be it helicopters would be in use. 

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, sirwalter said:

Interesting how your results have improved since "the most promising right back in Scottish football" disappeared from the team sheet. 

He was not to blame though.

Our "silly lost goals" was a result of our struggling to get the central defenders set up and our keeper having a loss of confidence. We've had a number of injuries in there and different players in position resulting in not having a settled side and a partnership that understood each other.

That appears to have improved.

As for Ramsay at RB, he's set up 8/9 goals from his terrific deliveries into the box.

Is there a better RB that's been more creative?

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If I was the owners and wanted to build a team and was happy to give a blank cheque book, and would pay millions to get a manager out their contract I would be paying whatever Leicester City and Rodgers wanted wage wise. He is the best British manager at the moment. 

It seems he might not want to go there though, who knows. 
The club is a mess on the pitch just now. 

Jambo in Bathgate
7 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

They go on about why would players want to live in Newcastle. Why don't the relocate to Edinburgh no far for them 😂 Could get to Newcastle quicker than players would form London or Manchester all be it helicopters would be in use. 

😄

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Fashionable or not the weather in Manchester and the lack of diverse food outlets has been cited by many foreign players and managers who have played there, luckily for them their wages make up for an disadvantages. 

6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Not such a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. With the amount these gadgies get paid, four of 'em could pay for a 'copter out of their hair product and bling budgets.

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

He was not to blame though.

Our "silly lost goals" was a result of our struggling to get the central defenders set up and our keeper having a loss of confidence. We've had a number of injuries in there and different players in position resulting in not having a settled side and a partnership that understood each other.

That appears to have improved.

As for Ramsay at RB, he's set up 8/9 goals from his terrific deliveries into the box.

Is there a better RB that's been more creative?

His defending has been pretty abysmal. I strongly suspect he has been "rested".

Jambo in Bathgate
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fashionable or not the weather in Manchester and the lack of diverse food outlets has been cited by many foreign players and managers who have played there, luckily for them their wages make up for an disadvantages. 

They are very close to Cheshire as is Liverpool. Most of the players live there. Can’t think of a similar area close to Newcastle. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, sirwalter said:

His defending has been pretty abysmal. I strongly suspect he has been "rested".

Clearly suffered a thigh strain when setting up the goal against Hibs. Came off a couple of minutes later

Already had tape on the muscle to support during the game.

I "strongly suspect" he'll be back in as soon as he has recovered from the injury

10 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Not such a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. With the amount these gadgies get paid, four of 'em could pay for a 'copter out of their hair product and bling budgets.

A mate of mine is a Newcastle fan and thinks Mbappe and Haaland will eventually be playing for Newcastle in years to come. He said he wouldn't be arsed if Newcastle had a training base in London and the team flew up to Newcastle on a match day but had there HQ in London to attract a better player . 

3 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Anyway, back on topic.

This is the quandary, pretty much everyone knows how it works now. You come in and start to build, get better players in, start to build a squad capable of top 4 but the get sacked and a top level manager comes in and takes the team to the next level

Chelsea did it with Jose, City did it with Pep, PSG tried it with Pochettino 

The next guy in will get fired before he gets a chance to push for glory and will be forever remembered as the guy who got millions but won nothing