• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

The Old Tolbooth
31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You only have to look at the incumbent managers at Manchester United and Arsenal to see how difficult it will be for Newcastle United to attract a ‘top manager’. All Pep’s other clubs he’s inherited an incredible nucleus of a team. Newcastle have literally nothing to work with …

That's a fair point mate, I'd love to see what Pep could do with a project though, especially one without endless money to spend, and as for Ole Gunnar Fraudster, Man Utd's reluctance to spend big on a proper manager has set them back years and cost them millions. 

As for Newcastle, I reckon someone like Brendan Rodgers would the sort of guy who could relish this type of set up and take them forward. 

5 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Good point 

Don’t think there is come to think off it 

Darres Hall is where the high flyers live, or at least it was when I lived there (Newcastle not Darres Hall😊

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You only have to look at the incumbent managers at Manchester United and Arsenal to see how difficult it will be for Newcastle United to attract a ‘top manager’. All Pep’s other clubs he’s inherited an incredible nucleus of a team. Newcastle have literally nothing to work with …

Yip, it will be a 2/3 year plan. Something like - 

1st year - stay up. 

2nd year European football 

3rd year push the top 4

Not gonna happen over night, they might employ a Gerrard or Howe type just now and change it in 2 or 3 years. 

Klopp or the likes  ain't jumping over to  Newcastle next week tho. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's a fair point mate, I'd love to see what Pep could do with a project though, especially one without endless money to spend, and as for Ole Gunnar Fraudster, Man Utd's reluctance to spend big on a proper manager has set them back years and cost them millions. 

As for Newcastle, I reckon someone like Brendan Rodgers would the sort of guy who could relish this type of set up and take them forward. 

Rogers to Newcastle and Gérrard to Leicester wouldn't be too far fetched. 

A_A wehatethehibs
12 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Why would the now richest club in the EPL go

for Gerrard?

Because of the message, it’d be positive PR appointing a young, ambitious, famous Englishman to kick off their new era. There’s only 2 English manager’s in the whole league. Gerrard is a world famous Premier League icon I think at times Scottish fans do forget that. And he has won himself a good chunk of credit as a manager. New young manager, new era type thing. I think the move would make a certain amount of sense to me, but with the likes of Conte in the frame I’d find it hard to see past him tbqh 

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Because of the message, it’d be positive PR appointing a young, ambitious, famous Englishman to kick off their new era. There’s only 2 English manager’s in the whole league. Gerrard is a world famous Premier League icon I think at times Scottish fans do forget that. And he has won himself a good chunk of credit as a manager. New young manager, new era type thing. I think the move would make a certain amount of sense to me, but with the likes of Conte in the frame I’d find it hard to see past him tbqh 

There’s only 2 English manager’s in the whole league.

Pedant alert. There are four at the moment. Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Dean Smith and Graham Potter.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Cheile said:

There’s only 2 English manager’s in the whole league.

Pedant alert. There are four at the moment. Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Dean Smith and Graham Potter.

I forgot about Potter tbf but Bruce… going on the assumption he’s as good as sacked as this thread is about replacing him :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Pap said:

Who are Rangers playing this weekend?

Its just the Weedgie media unsettling him and Rangers before their big game.

Makes a half pleasant change though eh?

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Yeah I think Rodgers could be an interesting appointment for them. I think Lucien Favre would be an interesting one too.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Potter would be a good fit for Newcastle. No point in going for chequebook managers at this stage.

Whether it’s Potter, Dyche, Rodgers or whoever they go for as long as it’s an existing EPL manager that frees up a likely spot for Gerard to move to. His days at Ibrox are numbered I think. He needs to prove himself at EPL level soon if he is to replace Klopp who won’t be at Liverpool for more than another couple of years at most. 

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Whether it’s Potter, Dyche, Rodgers or whoever they go for as long as it’s an existing EPL manager that frees up a likely spot for Gerard to move to. His days at Ibrox are numbered I think. He needs to prove himself at EPL level soon if he is to replace Klopp who won’t be at Liverpool for more than another couple of years at most. 

Thinking about that, Gerrard to Brighton might be a better step and path for him

Edited by Maroon Sailor

4 hours ago, XB52 said:

Darres Hall is where the high flyers live, or at least it was when I lived there (Newcastle not Darres Hall😊

Do you mean Darras Hall?

HeartsandonlyHearts

Gerard to Liverpool?

As a Liverpool legend and known name, probably no one bigger in the last 15/20 years. As the man to replace Klopp? Not even nearly good enough right now. Nothing he’s done in Scotland with Newco will have Liverpool fans excited. As an ex player and as good as he was with Liverpool he’s perfect. As a new manager from a $#tty league? He’ll get eaten alive. He’ll be fine with player respect as he’s close to have being as good as any of them. First premier league management job in England. Just don’t see it happening. Not sure he’ll ever be Liverpool boss. JMO.

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Gerard to Liverpool?

As a Liverpool legend and known name, probably no one bigger in the last 15/20 years. As the man to replace Klopp? Not even nearly good enough right now. Nothing he’s done in Scotland with Newco will have Liverpool fans excited. As an ex player and as good as he was with Liverpool he’s perfect. As a new manager from a $#tty league? He’ll get eaten alive. He’ll be fine with player respect as he’s close to have being as good as any of them. First premier league management job in England. Just don’t see it happening. Not sure he’ll ever be Liverpool boss. JMO.

Both part of Fenway Sports. 

One day he will be. 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Thinking about that, Gerrard to Brighton might be a better step and path for him

Agreed, but just as far from family and home as Glasgow is. 

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Gerard to Liverpool?

That’s why I suggested he needs something like Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley etc first so that Liverpool isn’t his first EPL job. 

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, Pap said:

Who are Rangers playing this weekend?

Its just the Weedgie media unsettling him and Rangers before their big game.

Next they'll be trying to link Morelos with a big money move 😀

On 11/10/2021 at 11:28, Mr Elwood P said:

Chelsea have had nearly every top manager going for years 

Man Utd have had loads of top managers you have lost me here I am afraid 

Money talks they will have zero problem attracting a top manager 

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Chelsea have had nearly every top manager going for years 

Man Utd have had loads of top managers you have lost me here I am afraid 

Money talks they will have zero problem attracting a top manager 

Nobody mentioned Chelsea? 

The point was that Arsenal have Arteta and Man U have Ole, Spurs have taken a punt on Nuno who appeared to have Wolves in decline. If these clubs can’t attract a ‘top manager’ why will Newcastle?

By ‘top manager’ we’re talking Pep or Klopp level …

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The point was that Arsenal have Arteta and Man U have Ole, Spurs have taken a punt on Nuno who appeared to have Wolves in decline. If these clubs can’t attract a ‘top manager’ why will Newcastle?

“Why will Newcastle?”

320bn…that’s why.

Forever Hearts
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Bit harsh saying Nuno had Wolves in decline. He gave them their highest finish in years and got them into Europe.  

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Bit harsh saying Nuno had Wolves in decline. He gave them their highest finish in years and got them into Europe.  

Then went into decline, no?

Forever Hearts
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Then went into decline, no?

Slipped down the table a bit certainly, but they were still in a far better position than they were before Nuno took over. 

Maroon Sailor
19 minutes ago, benny said:

So what top manager will go there.

None just now

They'll wait for someone else to do the donkey work

Newcastle fans hated Ashley. It started off because he was a Tory and then they didn't want to identify with someone who treated his staff badly. Then they booed him and his son during a game and the relationship was soured for good.

Now they've sold their soul to the devil and welcome the anticipated success at any cost. We had a taste of this sort of thing with Romanov, but at least he drew the line before public beheading, and women jailed for being rape victims. 

Success at any cost......!

21 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Newcastle fans hated Ashley. It started off because he was a Tory and then they didn't want to identify with someone who treated his staff badly. Then they booed him and his son during a game and the relationship was soured for good.

Now they've sold their soul to the devil and welcome the anticipated success at any cost. We had a taste of this sort of thing with Romanov, but at least he drew the line before public beheading, and women jailed for being rape victims. 

There’s also the small matter of Ashley buying them cheap as they were teetering on the edge of administration after Freddy Shepherd made a mes of things. It cost him well over £100m in reality so not so cheap. 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

There’s also the small matter of Ashley buying them cheap as they were teetering on the edge of administration after Freddy Shepherd made a mes of things. It cost him well over £100m in reality so not so cheap. 

👍

Ashley is a profit seeking scavenger, picking over the scraps left behind by parasites like Philip Green. I don't think the Geordies have upgraded any though by taking Saudi gold. Personally hope they struggle. 

Newcastle would be a much better project for Gerrard to take on as his next step than somewhere like Brighton or Burnley.

Loads of cash and basically no expectation other than moving to the right end of the table next season (after being able to chuck plenty of wonga at it in January to keep them up) versus a battle against relegation with a tiny budget compared with the rest of the league?

It would be an easier job than the one he took on at Rangers.

Maroon Sailor
11 hours ago, Section Q said:

FS

Newcastle didn't sell anything to the devil !

Mike Ashley sold THEM to the devil

Edited by Maroon Sailor

On 11/10/2021 at 11:28, Mr Elwood P said:

If you take the Spurs example Conte, Lopetegeu (sp), Fonseca, Gattuso and Ten hag were all ahead of Nuno but either Spurs wouldn't pay out their contracts or their transfer budget wasn't upto the managers expectations, neither of those things will be an issue at Newcastle. I agree that they won't get a Klopp or Pep but a big name manager, certainly bigger than Gerrard isn't out of the question.  

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Darren said:

Newcastle would be a much better project for Gerrard to take on as his next step than somewhere like Brighton or Burnley.

Loads of cash and basically no expectation other than moving to the right end of the table next season (after being able to chuck plenty of wonga at it in January to keep them up) versus a battle against relegation with a tiny budget compared with the rest of the league?

It would be an easier job than the one he took on at Rangers.

I tend to agree and if they want to go native (English), he's as good a shout as any. 

These types have no qualms about changing things when they want to either, even if it seems a tad unfair. 

If Gerrard kept them up and finished top 8/10 next season, although that seems good progress to most they wouldn't hesitate to bring someone else in to take them " to the next level". 

Gerrard as manager with shearer as dof or some sort is exactly what they might think is needed to get things kick started right now. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I tend to agree and if they want to go native (English), he's as good a shout as any. 

These types have no qualms about changing things when they want to either, even if it seems a tad unfair. 

If Gerrard kept them up and finished top 8/10 next season, although that seems good progress to most they wouldn't hesitate to bring someone else in to take them " to the next level". 

Gerrard as manager with shearer as dof or some sort is exactly what they might think is needed to get things kick started right now. 

It's all about perception for Gerrard. There's a strong suggestion he's 'just' a figurehead at Rangers - McAllister apparently does the bulk of the coaching.

Newcastle is a great fit for him on his journey to the Liverpool job - it's a job that would be extremely difficult to fail in. Provided he kept them up this season, he'd get the next season. If he managed to get them top 8, say, as a minimum, then he can say he's achieved that target. If he does better, he might stay on for a year. If he gets punted, he can move on with his reputation intact. The quality of players they'll be able to buy should ensure that. Year out then take over at Liverpool.

If someone like Dyche or Potter gets the Newcastle job (unlikely, IMO, they'll want a name but might keep their powder dry on the show-stopper for a year or two) and he takes over at either Burnley or Brighton and relegates them, Liverpool job is done for a decade and he has to fight his way back up again. Far too risky.

I can see it happening and hope it does. Unless Newcastle do something mental like appointing Shearer as manager again. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Darren said:

It's all about perception for Gerrard. There's a strong suggestion he's 'just' a figurehead at Rangers - McAllister apparently does the bulk of the coaching.

Newcastle is a great fit for him on his journey to the Liverpool job - it's a job that would be extremely difficult to fail in. Provided he kept them up this season, he'd get the next season. If he managed to get them top 8, say, as a minimum, then he can say he's achieved that target. If he does better, he might stay on for a year. If he gets punted, he can move on with his reputation intact. The quality of players they'll be able to buy should ensure that. Year out then take over at Liverpool.

If someone like Dyche or Potter gets the Newcastle job (unlikely, IMO, they'll want a name but might keep their powder dry on the show-stopper for a year or two) and he takes over at either Burnley or Brighton and relegates them, Liverpool job is done for a decade and he has to fight his way back up again. Far too risky.

I can see it happening and hope it does. Unless Newcastle do something mental like appointing Shearer as manager again. 

I agree, or the could go all out, offer stupid money for a big name. 

I'd go with your rhetoric, but who knows? 

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

If you take the Spurs example Conte, Lopetegeu (sp), Fonseca, Gattuso and Ten hag were all ahead of Nuno but either Spurs wouldn't pay out their contracts or their transfer budget wasn't upto the managers expectations, neither of those things will be an issue at Newcastle. I agree that they won't get a Klopp or Pep but a big name manager, certainly bigger than Gerrard isn't out of the question.  

They will definitely be able to attract some very good players and managers but I don’t think they will get the very top level of either.

20 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Why do you choose Arsenal as an example 

You should base your opinion on a relevant example for example Man City.

There are more top managers than klopp and pep the Chelsea one for example. 
Money talks 

Newcastle with the backing will without doubt be up there in a few years it’s an absolute certainty.

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

They will definitely be able to attract some very good players and managers but I don’t think they will get the very top level of either.

The Newcastle owners have ten times the wealth of Manchester City's owners. Newcastle will win the Premiership within five years. 

49 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The Newcastle owners have ten times the wealth of Manchester City's owners. Newcastle will win the Premiership within five years. 

Nah they really won’t.

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

Why do you choose Arsenal as an example 

You should base your opinion on a relevant example for example Man City.

There are more top managers than klopp and pep the Chelsea one for example. 
Money talks 

Newcastle with the backing will without doubt be up there in a few years it’s an absolute certainty.

It is a relevant example, if you understand the point being made!

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Why not? 

Just my opinion. I think they’ll struggle to win the Premiership the same

way PSG and City have struggled to win the Champions League. Just my thoughts on the matter. Newcastle could genuinely still get relegated which would set the project back even further. They don’t have a single ‘top 4’ player, an incredible amount of work to be undertaken. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Just my opinion. I think they’ll struggle to win the Premiership the same

way PSG and City have struggled to win the Champions League. Just my thoughts on the matter. Newcastle could genuinely still get relegated which would set the project back even further. They don’t have a single ‘top 4’ player, an incredible amount of work to be undertaken. 

If they're in genuine relegation trouble come January they have the money to buy top players to keep them safe. 

20 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

If they're in genuine relegation trouble come January they have the money to buy top players to keep them safe. 

A massive assumption that the money will be spent correctly. Three of the biggest transfer fees in football history were paid by Barcelona for Dembele, Greizmann and Countinho. Look at the absolute state of them now!