Gerrard to Newcastle?

troy

Imo Gerrard could be a good coach and has done reasonably well for Rangers but he's very much part of a team at Rangers and their success hasn't been solely down to him. I think Michael Beale is their tactics guy, McAllister brings a lot of experience and Ross Wilson & their analysts and scouts are the main recruiters. I think it is very early for Gerrard to be taking what you'd now consider to be a top job and he will more than likely fall flat on his face like Lampard did at Chelsea. 

I think this Newcastle job is more suited to an experienced coach like Conte, Ancelloti, Brenda Rodgers etc... Who ken their onions and understand the pressure of bringing immediate success to a club because I'd imagine that's what their new owners will want. If they are looking at Gerrard then it will be a more long term approach and it might take him 3-5 years before they see a return. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

HeartsandonlyHearts
20 hours ago, Largo said:

Not a chance, stay at Ibrox it's a safe passage to Anfield .

Winning anything in Scotland with an @$$ cheek is not a safe passage to Anfield or any other real force in England.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

PMSL, too funny. No doubt we'll get treated to Beni for Rangers next week!

Be Beni for Bewcastle. 

New Geordie  gaffer Stevie G to raid Hearts in £35m bid for Beni as he makes the midfield dynamo his now target. 

10 hours ago, Ribble said:

Fair bit to spend is an understatement, without selling anyone or increasing revenue by a penny they can spend almost £200m before they get close to FFP limits

Whilst ridiculous money, £200m isn't going to get you many (high range) players in today's EPL market.

Not sure why everyone thinks Newcastle will get a top manager and players straight away. Convincing these guys to ply their trade, and live near the North East, isn't going to be an easy sell to start with. Not saying there's not nice place to live nearby, but it's hardly as enticing as living in London. Think it will be a good few years before Newcastle are seen as a big deal and attracting top top top players and managers. 

Newcastle will still have a serious chance of been Ng relegated this season, so I think they will struggle to bring in a long term manager at present.

Shanks said no
20 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Gerrard probably an ideal candidate. Probably too early for them to go for a conte with how poor the squad is now and no European football

This

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Whilst ridiculous money, £200m isn't going to get you many (high range) players in today's EPL market.

Not sure why everyone thinks Newcastle will get a top manager and players straight away. Convincing these guys to ply their trade, and live near the North East, isn't going to be an easy sell to start with. Not saying there's not nice place to live nearby, but it's hardly as enticing as living in London. Think it will be a good few years before Newcastle are seen as a big deal and attracting top top top players and managers. 

I think it will be a 2/3 year project as well. 

If not they'll be over paying fir transfers and wages by a ridiculous amount that will hamper them as the grow. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Newcastle will still have a serious chance of been Ng relegated this season, so I think they will struggle to bring in a long term manager at present.

Only one man for the job this season until  they rebuild next season. 

Sam_Allardyce_in_shades.jpg

1 hour ago, Fraggle said:

Manchester ain’t exactly a great place to live or Liverpool and they are possibly the top  3 in country. 
Money talks don’t think the area has anything to do with it these days maybe in the 90s but not now. 

Chelsea exempt the best players do not live in London 

16 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Manchester ain’t exactly a great place to live or Liverpool and they are possibly the top  3 in country. 
Money talks don’t think the area has anything to do with it these days maybe in the 90s but not now. 

Chester seems to be the place of choice.

There are some great apartments toin Machester for rent.I would imagine Liverpool is the same.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Only one man for the job this season until  they rebuild next season. 

Sam_Allardyce_in_shades.jpg

LOL would be hilarious if they did it

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

Correct, London isn’t all that anymore for players, no longer the days of top players living the champagne lifestyle with penthouse flats and vip areas of nightclubs, more mansions inside gated communities with a nearby golf course 

13 hours ago, Ribble said:

Yes but that's just the £200m losses they can incur, they could easily spend way more than that. It's not just the PIF that money can come from, take the involvement of the Reuben brothers or PCP in the deal, money into Newcastle could easily be funnelled in through sponsorship. Not hard to imagine SJP becoming the MetroBank/Barclays Arena for a few hundred million over the next 5 years.

Also, is FFP not spread over a 3 year period?  If they haven't been spending significant amounts for the last couple of seasons, then they might be able to spend a lot more, when losses are averaged over 3 seasons.  Apologies if that was already factored into your £200m figure.

2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Most of the Manchester and Liverpool players end up living in Cheshire, which is a nice part of the country.  I'm not sure if there is an equivalent area in the North East, maybe somewhere in County Durham.

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, benny said:

Chester seems to be the place of choice.

There are some great apartments toin Machester for rent.I would imagine Liverpool is the same.

I think it’s Cheshire rather than Chester (Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, these sort of places ), although maybe it’s  changed more recently. Nothing wrong with Manchester either.  

I'll throw Pochettino into the hat.  Potter at Brighton also doing well this season.

Think it needs someone who knows the EPL.

There's been some good names mentioned but I don't think Gerrard will get it

Boyces beard

If Gerrard was to move on sooner rather than later, i could see Frank Lampard ending up at Castle Grayskull to try and appease the erse cheeks fan base.

Maroon Sailor
45 minutes ago, Pete McGee said:

I'll throw Pochettino into the hat.  Potter at Brighton also doing well this season.

Potter could be destined for bigger things. He's had Brighton playing some good football since he took over there and this season they are getting the results as well

HartleyLegend3

Hope he goes. Takes some of their better players with him. He knows how broke they are and what price they will have to accept.  

Maybe even slags rangers off in the press for being a hate filled club living off debt. 

Hopefully they replace him with hand ball Barry and he's utter mince.  

Edited by HartleyLegend3

August Landmesser
10 hours ago, RobNox said:

Most of the Manchester and Liverpool players end up living in Cheshire, which is a nice part of the country.  I'm not sure if there is an equivalent area in the North East, maybe somewhere in County Durham.

Apparently lots of players up there live in Ponteland, a nice town just outside Newcastle.

It has a Waitrose and lots of shops selling cushions and candles and the like.

Shanks said no
7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Apparently lots of players up there live in Ponteland, a nice town just outside Newcastle.

It has a Waitrose and lots of shops selling cushions and candles and the like.

Its also only a couple of miles from the airport. 

Residents with NUFC links include Alan Shearer, Peter Beardsley, Steven Taylor, George Hall, Phil Barton and Terry McDermott.

Darras Hall Is the estate in Ponteland where you will find the money. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Pete McGee said:

He'd do well at Newcastle. 

Fits in with their philisophy of getting lots of plaudits for attacking flair  but winning **** all. 

Perfect fit. 

11 hours ago, Ribble said:

Correct, London isn’t all that anymore for players, no longer the days of top players living the champagne lifestyle with penthouse flats and vip areas of nightclubs, more mansions inside gated communities with a nearby golf course 

i think Tierney was saying he’s seen nothing of London since moving south. Just trains, plays, travels to games and goes home to rest. 

19 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

One of their own ? There isn’t a manager born in England even who could make a decent fist of that job. They will go BIG and FOREIGN 

As for Gerrard, his name is already on a brass plate for the Liverpool job as soon as Klopp leaves. Come to think about it, Newcastle and Klopp would be a dream fit for them.

There isn't a manager born in England who has won their top league since it was renamed.

The English crow about how much better their leagues are compared with ours but, when you look at their successful clubs you will find

- none has an English manager,

- they are littered with good foreign/costly players

- they are funded with foreign money which enables a player to earn more in a week than the Prime Minister (as First Lord of the Treasury) earns in a year - not to mention TV money. 

The only thing English is the geography.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There isn't a manager born in England who has won their top league since it was renamed.

The English crow about how much better their leagues are compared with ours but, when you look at their successful clubs you will find

- they are funded with foreign money which enables a player to earn more in a week than the Prime Minister (as First Lord of the Treasury) earns in a year - not to mention TV money. 

Yep and ironically Newcastle have a lot of English born players and English coaching staff

That's all about to change

Edited by Maroon Sailor

41 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Its also only a couple of miles from the airport. 

Easy escape :lol:

Maroon Sailor

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard is "intrigued" by the Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle United as former Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers is being considered to take over with present boss Steve Bruce expecting to be replaced. (Glasgow Evening Times)

AllyjamboDerbyshire
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I have enjoyed pointing that out to all my Scottish football deriding friends and acquaintances down here in Derbyshire for nearly 15 years now. The look on their faces when they realise that they have no counter argument is quite pleasing.

In the English Premiership, English owner, English manager and mainly English players means mainly relegation battles with mid table finishes classed as a successful season.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yep and ironically Newcastle have a lot of English born players and English coaching staff

That's all about to change

IMO their two best players are Almiron and Saint-Maximin, neither of whom is English.

47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Roberto Martinez current bookies favourite

Co-incidentally, or maybe not, the current first team coach is Graeme Jones who was asst manager to Martinez with the Belgian national team.

17 hours ago, NB GIN said:

True, but it did take City a couple of years to convince the bigger names to come play for them and stay near by. I think the area still plays a part, maybe not as much, but a big name player will want to look at what the city and county can offer (travel links, opulence, etc.) Manchester is going through a pretty large scale gentrification and Liverpool has had similar but maybe not as large scale. Neither really compares with London if you are looking for a certain lifestyle and easy transport links to the rest of the world. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He'd do well at Newcastle. 

Fits in with their philisophy of getting lots of plaudits for attacking flair  but winning **** all. 

Perfect fit. 

Ouch! 😂 To be fair, there's no guarantees with anyone.

I'll watch with interest. Kind of hope they build something good there and add another team into the mix who might be able to challenge for honours.

For the Scots/English born only banter champions. Only two scots started for Hearts against Motherwell last week. We're a better team for it.

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

For the Scots/English born only banter champions. Only two scots started for Hearts against Motherwell last week. We're a better team for it.

Sorry three if Halkett was playing.

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Potter could be destined for bigger things. He's had Brighton playing some good football since he took over there and this season they are getting the results as well

Spot on. Hopefully he gets the chance to manage a bigger club. 

portobellojambo1

I suspect Gerrard is just one of many names being linked with the Newcastle job. It always happens when a management job becomes available. I don't honestly think Newcastle will have any problem attracting whichever manager they eventually choose, or have problems in terms of players looking to relocate to the area. Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs tend to find that players and managers either locate to the likes of Formby, North West of Liverpool, or Cheshire. There are a number of posher/affluent areas around Newcastle, either to the West, Hexham and Corbridge or North West, the likes of Ponteland and Darras Hall, for example.

Personally if given the choice of spending say a week away I'd much prefer to do so in the Newcastle area rather than the London area, for example. Much nicer and friendlier people in the North East than in the London area.

Do I think it will be Gerrard that ends up going there, probably not, I suspect his dream job would be at Liverpool, but it will depend on how long Klopp plans on staying there.

Edited by portobellojambo1

2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I suspect Gerrard is just one of many names being linked with the Newcastle job. It always happens when a management job becomes available. I don't honestly think Newcastle will have any problem attracting whichever manager they eventually choose, or have problems in terms of players looking to relocate to the area. Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs tend to find that players and managers either locate to the likes of Formby, North West of Liverpool, or Cheshire. There ar a number of affluent areas around Newcastle, either to the West, Hexham and Corbridge or Norht West West, the likes of Ponteland and Darras Hall.

Personally if given the choice of spending say a week away I'd much prefer to do so in the Newcastle area rather than the London area, for example. Much nicer and friendlier people in the North East than in the London area.

Do I think it will be Gerrard that ends up going there, probably not, I suspect his dream job would be at Liverpool, but it will depend on how long Klopp plans on staying there.

😂 Newcastle is far and away the most racist, bigoted, violent place I've lived in the UK nd I've lived in a few sewers.

23 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Sorry three if Halkett was playing.

wrong, it was 4

gordon, halkett, kingsley and mckay and two of the three subs used (halliday and mackay-stevens) are scottish

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

wrong, it was 4

gordon, halkett, kingsley and mckay and two of the three subs used (halliday and mackay-stevens) are scottish

OK Mr Obtuse. The point is we now have a Squad from all over the world and I think that's a good thing. What about you?

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

😂 Newcastle is far and away the most racist, bigoted, violent place I've lived in the UK nd I've lived in a few sewers.

Have you been to Livingston? 

26 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Most geordie folk I've met are exactly the opposite

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Have you been to Livingston? 

Fat aye but racist ,bigoted and violent?

21 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Be Beni for Bewcastle. 

New Geordie  gaffer Stevie G to raid Hearts in £35m bid for Beni as he makes the midfield dynamo his now target. 

Can you not get a new hobby?

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, Ribble said:

Aye but imagine being from Africa or south America 

New York, Paris, London, Madrid, Milan.

.....Newcastle 

They'll do well, by that I  mean probabily have to overpay to attract plays particularly at the start. 

Savage talked about Edinburgh as a great asset when attracting players. 

Newcastle will have the opposite dilemma. 

Chelsea, Barca, inter, psg are after a player.... Newcastle isn't hitting the radar unless they overspend even more than they already will be planning to.

The Chinese clubs attract players this way. 

Edited by Smith's right boot