Gerrard to Newcastle?

troy

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Be somewhere like Watford. 

The Rangers job is hardly an indication of ability. 

So he won a two horse race with a huge warchest. 

Robbie Neilson would have won things with that backing. 

I'm gonna say arsenal after they finish about 8th again. 

Maybe Southampton or the, likes. 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

Doubt Gerrard would fancy getting chopped up and put in bin bags if he wrote slightly critical things about the owners in the programme notes. 

Captain Canada

The press are saying Eddie Howe or Gerrard but I think they need a much bigger name with a track record of winning trophies consistently. 

Despite all the money being talked about, it will be a tough job between now and next summer. They have a poor squad and top players aren't usually available in January. 

I can understand their fans getting excited but I reckon they're still in for a tough season. 

1 minute ago, Captain Canada said:

The press are saying Eddie Howe or Gerrard but I think they need a much bigger name with a track record of winning trophies consistently. 

Despite all the money being talked about, it will be a tough job between now and next summer. They have a poor squad and *top players aren't usually available in January. 

I can understand their fans getting excited but I reckon they're still in for a tough season. 

*I don't think that will be a problem, with the money they now have.

They just need to avoid relegation. Imagine they’ll be a fair bit to spend come January to try and get away from the relegation zone. 

I think Gerrard might be a good shout actually. Lampard did a decent job too. I don’t think they’re immediately going to be able to go away and get a top tier manager right away. 

Certainly going to be interesting to see how it develops.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Midloth_Iain said:

In the run up to a Rangers v Hearts game, this is the headline we need to see ....

😂😉

Woke up this morning and was annoyed it was only a dream but the result was Rangers 1 Hearts 5. 1-1 at Half Time then 2 quick fire goals for Hearts in the 2nd half finished off with 2 late ones and everyone saying we have laid down a marker and are serious contenders now !

10 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I could see them chucking silly money for Conte 

This, give Conte money and he’ll deliver titles

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

They just need to avoid relegation. Imagine they’ll be a fair bit to spend come January to try and get away from the relegation zone. 

I think Gerrard might be a good shout actually. Lampard did a decent job too. I don’t think they’re immediately going to be able to go away and get a top tier manager right away. 

Certainly going to be interesting to see how it develops.

Fair bit to spend is an understatement, without selling anyone or increasing revenue by a penny they can spend almost £200m before they get close to FFP limits

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Frankly I don't give a shit about Gerrard.

He’s done ok with rangers but it wouldn’t be a massive loss to them if he left. 

Easily replaceable imo

59 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Fair bit to spend is an understatement, without selling anyone or increasing revenue by a penny they can spend almost £200m before they get close to FFP limits

Yes

What does that get you. 2 players including wages. No one top class. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes

What does that get you. 2 players including wages. No one top class. 

Yes but that's just the £200m losses they can incur, they could easily spend way more than that. It's not just the PIF that money can come from, take the involvement of the Reuben brothers or PCP in the deal, money into Newcastle could easily be funnelled in through sponsorship. Not hard to imagine SJP becoming the MetroBank/Barclays Arena for a few hundred million over the next 5 years.

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yes but that's just the £200m losses they can incur, they could easily spend way more than that. It's not just the PIF that money can come from, take the involvement of the Reuben brothers or PCP in the deal, money into Newcastle could easily be funnelled in through sponsorship. Not hard to imagine SJP becoming the MetroBank/Barclays Arena for a few hundred million over the next 5 years.

Yes. Good point. Man City is the template.

I think they'll do this gradually. Just a few players to begin with. Get all the sponsorships and developments in place. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes. Good point. Man City is the template.

I think they'll do this gradually. Just a few players to begin with. Get all the sponsorships and developments in place. 

This will be key to it all, SJP's advertising space has been 90% sports direct for years 

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Antonio Conte would be a much smarter hire for the Sauds.  

Some record as a manager

ManagerEdit

Bari[17]

Juventus[17]

Chelsea

Inter Milan

12 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I could see them chucking silly money for Conte 

That’s what I thought when it was announced and tbf it’s probably the best shout of getting a winning team.

Gerrard is miles away from that level and wouldn’t show any ambition IMO.

Plus as others have mentioned due to his stature as a player I think Liverpool will replace Klopp with Gerrard out of sentiment when he decides to move on. 

Fort Vallance
14 hours ago, Largo said:

It worked for Brendan Rodgers 

Rogers had already managed a big club before he went to Celtic.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

What about taking Andy Cole and Ashley Cole to Newcastle as a management duo?

Taking the coles back to Newcastle?

Fort Vallance
4 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

What about taking Andy Cole and Ashley Cole to Newcastle as a management 

Clever.

Forever Hearts
25 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Underrated post.😂

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Frankly I don't give a shit about Gerrard.

Same and I was a massive Liverpool fans and he was one of my fav players growing up!

Fed up seeing him swaggering about with the Sean Dyche jacket on. Once he leaves Rangers it will change again 😂

Edited by Stu_HMFC

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s the perfect fit, and surely he would like to get out of there. 

I think most folk are thinking it will be Conte or Jose and millions is going to be spent right away like Chelsea and City did. 

I have a feeling they will try go the British route and appoint Gerrard or Howe. I would not be surprised if Howe gets the job and this is the reason he rejected Celtic, He has been told the job will be his once the takeover is complete like Budge done with Robbie and Levein had them in place before the take over was complete.  

Also Imagine if Gerrard left Rangers who would they go for , Would the do a Celtic and appoint someone outside the Uk no one really knows off ? 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Scottish rags cannot see past the OF so if they hear someone has loads of money and this takeover is the big story in football then then it must be either the Celtic or Rangers manager that they would seek out, because who's going to read about Newcastle in Glasgow otherwise? - Ange ain't doing so well so it has to be Gerrard. 

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I think most folk are thinking it will be Conte or Jose and millions is going to be spent right away like Chelsea and City did. 

I have a feeling they will try go the British route and appoint Gerrard or Howe. I would not be surprised if Howe gets the job and this is the reason he rejected Celtic, He has been told the job will be his once the takeover is complete like Budge done with Robbie and Levein had them in place before the take over was complete.  

Also Imagine if Gerrard left Rangers who would they go for , Would the do a Celtic and appoint someone outside the Uk no one really knows off ? 

If and to me it is a big IF. The Sevconians would go for McInnes or even Barry Ferguson.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If and to me it is a big IF. The Sevconians would go for McInnes or even Barry Ferguson.

For me Lampard Would be a shout. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

In the run up to a Rangers v Hearts game, this is the headline we need to see ....

😂😉

Exactly 👍

Hagar the Horrible

They should go for Lennon,

They suddenly think they are Real, PSG or a City  and can just get anybody, already talking about Pep,

Bruce is still there

I think their level is Bruce ffs

The Old Tolbooth
14 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

They will go for a bigger name and someone with a better managerial CV than Gerrard. Apparently putting £250m into the team.

There is talk of Klopp speaking to Barca so Gerrard to Liverpool may be an option. 

Not a chance on both counts, Klopp isn't leaving Liverpool before his contract expires, and Gerrard is nowhere near good enough for Liverpool as a manager. 

As for Newcastle, Gerrard won't even be flickering their radar, they'll now be looking at the likes of a Pep, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel etc, Klopp would be a great fit there to be honest, he's a bonkers as the Geordies are and they would love him like the Liverpool fans do, I hope it doesn't happen though and pretty sure it won't as Klopp wants a tilt at being the Germany manager one day. 

13 minutes ago, benny said:

If they get Lampard or Gerrard the new owners are off to a shite start with their appointments.

Man City chose Mark Hughes.

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Del Boy will be a shout for them . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard to Newcastle?
Forever Hearts
14 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Del Boy will be a shout for them . 

He really won't be. And as for the Alloa manager? 😂

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

He really won't be. And as for the Alloa manager? 😂

That's as far as he will go as a manager 😂

First manager to get this money will be a disaster at Newcastle imo

Fair enough they can sign whoever they want but they currently need about 15 top quality players to be in with a shout and once they sign these players they will still take some time to get used to each other and some will be flops. 

Seymour M Hersh

You could see them going for SG. His profile is still massive (almost all of it from his playing days) so the fans would be on board with it. He has just had a good season at sevco and will have been seen to have built that rather than inheriting it. He tries to get his team to play a Klopp style of football and the geordies like that open style. 

You can also see them going for a huge name to make a statement but who would it be and could they persuade whomever to leave their current club. Certainly they are now able to throw ridiculous salaries at potential managers. 

At least talk of Gerrard might cause a little unsettling moments at hunbrox high would make a change from the press linking our better players with them in the build up to games. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Yeah all sounds plausible. 

16 hours ago, steve123 said:

Nope because Newcastle if they are sensible will appoint one of their own or somebody neutral.

One of their own ? There isn’t a manager born in England even who could make a decent fist of that job. They will go BIG and FOREIGN 

As for Gerrard, his name is already on a brass plate for the Liverpool job as soon as Klopp leaves. Come to think about it, Newcastle and Klopp would be a dream fit for them.

Edited by JimmyCant

6 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

😂😉

PMSL, too funny. No doubt we'll get treated to Beni for Rangers next week!

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

One of their own ? There isn’t a manager born in England even who could make a decent fist of that job. They will go BIG and FOREIGN 

As for Gerrard, his name is already on a brass plate for the Liverpool job as soon as Klopp leaves. Come to think about it, Newcastle and Klopp would be a dream fit for them.

Can’t see Klopp working for these owners. 

August Landmesser
4 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

:isee:

I'm hoping the current situation stays the same, tbh.

Ange and Slippy at the OF until the season's end improves our chances, such as they are, of going all the way.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I might have had a few beverages when I typed that 😂

What I was getting at is Gerrard is Liverpool through and through and I think the Newcastle owners will be wanting to put their stamp on it with a manager that gets the fans onside straight away and shows they mean business.

Edited by steve123