• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Bazzas right boot

• Mr Elwood P

• Forever Hearts

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why? He’s won one league title in a two horse race. Do folk actually rate him outside the Daily Record, Sportscene bubble. 

It worked for Brendan Rodgers 

I hope he stays because he's being found out this season. Don't rate Sevco at all for the budget as Malmo and Sparta have proved.

He’s pissed off at Rangers - no money in the summer transfer window. I think he will be off as soon as something interesting comes along. Newcastle Utd ……possibly!

A_A wehatethehibs

Good luck to him. And good luck to them, IMO it sends the right message from the new owners coming into the game, going for a young ambitious English manager who’s managed a big British club. And you don’t get much more premier league knowledge and experience than Steven Gerrard. From his point of view it’s not an offer that could be turned down, with the backing that’s going to come in. 

All round, be happy to see this as hopefully wheels totally come off for Rangers with Hearts to go there and win to set the cat among the pigeons. Craig Levein to take over Rangers to the end of the season, good shout for them. Good experience knows the league. 

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Nope because Newcastle if they are sensible will appoint one of their own or somebody neutral.

Like who? 

Will be surprised if Gerrard goes to Newcastle. Too much of a risk of a relegation ruining his reputation down south. Even with money to spend in January. 

Not sure Newcastle will go for Gerrard either. Much more likely to go for an experienced Premiership/top level European coach - a big name manager to head up their project.

8 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Nope because Newcastle if they are sensible will appoint one of their own or somebody neutral.

Benitez or Shearer? 

Rocky jamboa

They will go for a bigger name and someone with a better managerial CV than Gerrard. Apparently putting £250m into the team.

There is talk of Klopp speaking to Barca so Gerrard to Liverpool may be an option. 

Gerrard probably an ideal candidate. Probably too early for them to go for a conte with how poor the squad is now and no European football

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, troy said:

As headline says ,thoughts folks ? 

The level of Saudi wealth involved in this deal means they can get any manager in world football. Why on earth would they take a risk with Gerrard?

6 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

They will go for a bigger name and someone with a better managerial CV than Gerrard. Apparently putting £250m into the team.

There is talk of Klopp speaking to Barca so Gerrard to Liverpool may be an option. 

Why would any top manager go to Barcelona.

They'll get a huge name with a huge budget, although they need someone now to steady the ship and make sure they don't get relegated. Not sure the top names will want that responsibility. Bruce out within days I'd guess.

Anyway, even if hes not going to Newcastle, be nice for the red top comics to unsetlle them for a change prior to our meeting through there. 

Hope theres some truth in it though. 

(If its not true, can we tip off the Sun & Daily Record anyway…to stir some shite up?)

Edited by Pans Jambo

John Findlay

New Newcastle owners. Right who do we think the fans would prefer.

Antonio Conte

Zinedine Zidane

Steven Gerrard?

Every Geordie said. Steven Gerrard..............not.

Have You Heard

Bit risky for Newcastle and Gerrard. He's had one consistent season that had a lot of mitigating circumstances with fans being locked out etc, and for Gerrard aye there will be money there but it depends how it's spent.

Rocky jamboa

I wonder if they'd look to bring Keegan back? Been out of football for a while but would be a popular appointment with the fans. 

1 minute ago, Paulp74 said:

I wonder if they'd look to bring Keegan back? Been out of football for a while but would be a popular appointment with the fans. 

Struggle to find ex Newcastle managerial candidates with any credibility. 

Joey Barton, Jonathan Woodgate, Stuart Pierce, maybe Scott Parker. Obviously Shearer. 

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, benny said:

Why would any top manager go to Barcelona.

He said before he likes to go to teams that are in somewhat of nerd but ambitious. 

Dortmund and Liverpool kind of show this. 

He'd need assurances that financially Theresa plan tho. 

I can see him there. 

He'd go there or a Madrid, can't see him at r Madrid. 

Newcastle should go for Simone. 

Bazzas right boot

I rate Gerrard. 

Think he builds to  a style and has done well with rangers. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I rate Gerrard. 

Think he builds to  a style and has done well with rangers. 

44m player wage bill. 1 trophy in 3 years. 

Edited by JackLadd

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

44m player wage bill. 1 trophy in 3 years. 

I think he builds tho. 

Constant improvement and had some cracking results and performances in Europe. 

That wage bill is a good bit lower than Celtic's as well, you could argue he done well to beat  a team with a far larger wage to the league. 

No one looking at him will bother too much about cup performances in Scotland. 

They'll look at him bettering celtic in the league and European games imo. 

He'll also go to the Premiershio at some point I reckon, just a matter of what time and what club. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

They’ll get whoever they want, and the first appointment will be a statement of intent.

If it’s Gerrard then that's hillarious 

If it’s Thomas Tuchel then football is fecked as they’re just going to spend billions each year

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

They’ll get whoever they want, and the first appointment will be a statement of intent.

If it’s Gerrard then that's hillarious 

If it’s Thomas Tuchel then football is fecked as they’re just going to spend billions each year

Stendel. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think he builds tho. 

That wage bill is a good bit lower than Celtic's as well, you could argue he done well to beat  a team with a far larger wage to the league. 

No one looking at him will bother too much about cup performances in. Scotland. 

He'll also go to the Premiershio at some point I reckon, just a matter of what time and what club. 

I wouldn't say far larger 44m vs 59m. Add the Lennon/Lawwell clown show into the mix and that bridges the salary gap and more. I doubt he'd last beyond 4 months in the EPL myself unless it's Liverpool as they'd keep him longer given hero status. Liverpool is the only club I'd go to if him for that reason alone. He's no Jurgen btw.  

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I wouldn't say far larger 44m vs 59m. Add the Lennon/Lawwell clown show into the mix and that bridges the salary gap and more. I doubt he'd last beyond 4 months in the EPL myself unless it's Liverpool as they'd keep him longer given hero status. Liverpool is the only club I'd go to if him for that reason alone. He's no Jurgen btw.  

It's a Fair chunk larger, about a third. 

He's no Jurgen, for sure but I like him, think he's a good manager and I think he'll manage and have a chance in the EPL soon. 

No idea how he'll do there tho. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Pre-takeover, yeah I'd say that's a shout. But I'd imagine the Saudi's will want someone a bit better than Gerrard.

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

He's no Jurgen, for sure but I like him, think he's a good manager and I think he'll manage and have a chance in the EPL soon. 

No idea how he'll do there tho. 

An upgrade on the Hat and Pedro I'll give you. 

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think he builds tho. 

No one looking at him will bother too much about cup performances in Scotland. 

Be somewhere like Watford. 

The Rangers job is hardly an indication of ability. 

So he won a two horse race with a huge warchest. 

Robbie Neilson would have won things with that backing. 

I couldn't really care less who Newcastle end up with but if it means unsettling Sevco for the next 10 days or so then I'll be delighted if Gerrard's name stays in the frame.

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 hour ago, steve123 said:

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Like who? 

Jossy Blair?

image.jpeg.d6a88dab0e4cf091ad6a6116a3452ad4.jpeg

• davemclaren changed the title to Gerrard to Newcastle?