Soapy’s brother Harry

paul cook

Just had a wee look at some international line ups for tonight and seen him starting for Australia.

Never knew there was a joint nationality, only caught me by surprise as John has been getting touted for a Scottish call up

StevenNaismith

Their mum is Australian. Harry has matured into a quality centre back, would be first choice for Scotland at the moment if he hadn’t chosen to play for the socceroos.

Harry originally represented Scotland at youth level & was then touted for Australia u23s followed by the first team in 2019.Theur Dad used to play for Brechin City.

Kind of makes sense that the brothers may have agreed that they would not compete for same position at international level...

Why did he decide to opt for Aus? Obviously he had the option to, but was it a lack of confidence in his own abiliy to make it or the total opposite? Prior to Clarke we'd been a shambles for a long time.. 

Parttimer1874
46 minutes ago, paul cook said:

Just had a wee look at some international line ups for tonight and seen him starting for Australia.

Never knew there was a joint nationality, only caught me by surprise as John has been getting touted for a Scottish call up

John is capped 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Why did he decide to opt for Aus? Obviously he had the option to, but was it a lack of confidence in his own abiliy to make it or the total opposite? Prior to Clarke we'd been a shambles for a long time.. 

Australia are 32 in the current world rankings and Scotland are 45 so maybe he was ambitious. Shame we won't get to see them play together for Scotland. Wonder what Cammy Devlin makes of it! 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Their mum is Australian. Harry has matured into a quality centre back, would be first choice for Scotland at the moment if he hadn’t chosen to play for the socceroos.

Imho he is not a quality centre back. He is only, if that, half the footballer his brother John is. Far more an athlete than footballer.

I watched the Stoke v Watford game the other day and before it they were bigging him up big time. He was decent but we've got the really good one. 👍

StevenNaismith
46 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Imho he is not a quality centre back. He is only, if that, half the footballer his brother John is. Far more an athlete than footballer.

You’ll need to point out the part where I said he was a better footballer than John? I’ve worked in youth football for the best part of 30 years and the improvement in Harry is remarkable. If you’d asked me 6 years ago I’d have said no chance of him playing higher than lower leagues in Scotland and now there’s EPL teams sniffing around him.

Currently captain I believe, of Stoke City. The fans seem to love him.

@gnasher75 good point tbf about ambition too. Australia have a much better chance of qualifying for World Cups than Scotland I'd say. Can't fault the lad for that.

Edited by Locky

38 minutes ago, Locky said:

@gnasher75 good point tbf about ambition too. Australia have a much better chance of qualifying for World Cups than Scotland I'd say. Can't fault the lad for that.

A lot of that is because their geographical region is filled with utter dross that San Marino would fancy their chances against.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

A lot of that is because their geographical region is filled with utter dross that San Marino would fancy their chances against.

Not gonna argue that, but irrespective, the fact remains that Harry Souttar is far more likely to play in a World Cup than John.

jambo-in-furness

Seemingly Aston Villa want Harry Souttar and plan to move for him in the January window, will have to be a good offer,  contracted until summer 2025.

36 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Asia isn't that easy. Easier than Europe but San Marino would get violated. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Soapy’s brother Harry
stirlingshirejambo
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Obviously partly because of his ability but mainly because of the league he plays in he will go for well in excess of £20m if he goes to Villa or Spurs as being touted. 
irrespective of who’s better there is no danger even under a long contract we’d ever get even close to that for John

John Findlay
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

You’ll need to point out the part where I said he was a better footballer than John? I’ve worked in youth football for the best part of 30 years and the improvement in Harry is remarkable. If you’d asked me 6 years ago I’d have said no chance of him playing higher than lower leagues in Scotland and now there’s EPL teams sniffing around him.

You didn't I disagreed with you assessment, I said his brother is the better footballer. 

I still disagree with you assessment.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You didn't I disagreed with you assessment, I said his brother is the better footballer. 

There’s more to Harry than just being big and strong, he brings the ball out of defence (reminds me of Dave MacPherson) and is a decent passer of the ball as well. 

The two of them playing together would be outrageous. John just needs some luck and I’m sure his qualities will be more widely known then. 

Was at Ross Co on loan a few years back and didn't really look the part TBH. Good on him tho. Could be a missed opportunity for Scotland

12 hours ago, Locky said:

The Welsh Pirlo is captain of Stoke City Joe Allen 

StevenNaismith
6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You can disagree all you like. Bookmark this for when Harry goes to the EPL for upwards of £10M in the next year.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, StevenNaismith said:

You can disagree all you like. Bookmark this for when Harry goes to the EPL for upwards of £10M in the next year.

Could go for £20M and I still wouldn't rate him.

StevenNaismith
Just now, John Findlay said:

Could go for £20M and I still wouldn't rate him.

Try watching him. He’s improved beyond belief.

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Try watching him. He’s improved beyond belief.

I do my partner lives a 20 minutes walk from the Bet365.

StevenNaismith
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I do my partner lives a 20 minutes walk from the Bet365.

Well you clearly don’t know much about football if you can’t see how good he has become. All the best as I’m popping you on ignore 👍🏻

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Well you clearly don’t know much about football if you can’t see how good he has become. All the best as I’m popping you on ignore 👍🏻

Thank god for that.

SuperstarSteve

I’m sure levein hinted that it was ridiculous Scotland wouldn’t select Souttar for a call up and it’s likely Souttar will decide to play for Australia instead. 

Souttar was in the next Scotland squad 😂

John Gentleman
On 08/10/2021 at 07:51, John Findlay said:

Agree with every word.

On 08/10/2021 at 00:08, frankblack said:

You do realise that they left the Oceania Football Confederation for the Asian Football Confederation a good few years ago now (2006). Their opposition isn't that dross.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

You do realise that they left the Oceania Football Confederation for the Asian Football Confederation a good few years ago now (2006). Their opposition isn't that dross.

I'll admit I wasn't aware of that.  The likes of Japan and South Korea are strong, but beyond that I'm struggling to name anyone.

Compared to Europe there are only a couple of decent sides in Asia.  Most of the sides that get to the latter stages or win the World Cups are European with the others being the South American countries.  I'd put Asia behind Africa in terms of strength at football.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

tbf they moved there because it was an easier route to the world cup as the oceania area winners had to have a playoff with the south american area to make the finals.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

tbf they moved there because it was an easier route to the world cup as the oceania area winners had to have a playoff with the south american area to make the finals.

True, but I'm sure the fact they would also have better opposition in the qualifiers must have contributed to their decision too.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

True, but I'm sure the fact they would also have better opposition in the qualifiers must have contributed to their decision too.

yep, i've just had a look at how the asian qualifying works and 4 teams qualify automatically and a 5th goes into a playoff with another area. 

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'll admit I wasn't aware of that.  The likes of Japan and South Korea are strong, but beyond that I'm struggling to name anyone.

Compared to Europe there are only a couple of decent sides in Asia.  Most of the sides that get to the latter stages or win the World Cups are European with the others being the South American countries.  I'd put Asia behind Africa in terms of strength at football.

It's probably much of a muchness, currently. According to the FIFA rankings, the Asian and African countries ahead of Scotland at the moment are Iran (22), Tunisia (25), Japan (26), Algeria (30), Australia (32), Morocco (33), Nigeria (34), South Korea (36), Qatar (43). I don't think any of them will be high achievers in the finals though (much like us :)).

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yep, i've just had a look at how the asian qualifying works and 4 teams qualify automatically and a 5th goes into a playoff with another area. 

A no-brainer for Australian then, as you say. I suppose it does seem a bit unfair according to the rankings that Asia should be allowed so many teams compared to Europe and South America, but FIFA have to encourage the rest of the world to develop on a footballing basis, without leaning too heavily towards "positive discrimination", and I think they do a reasonable job of it.

queensferryjambo
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

It's probably much of a muchness, currently. According to the FIFA rankings, the Asian and African countries ahead of Scotland at the moment are Iran (22), Tunisia (25), Japan (26), Algeria (30), Australia (32), Morocco (33), Nigeria (34), South Korea (36), Qatar (43). I don't think any of them will be high achievers in the finals though (much like us :)).

Totally agree, although I think Japan have been decent for a while now, they have been to the last 6 world cups and have qualified from their group stages on 3 of those occasions (which sadly Scotland have never done :( )

They were pretty unlucky not to have knocked Belgium out the last world cup when they went 2-0 up on them.

Hopefully Scotland can qualify for this world cup and get out the group stages this time :) 

On 07/10/2021 at 19:58, paul cook said:

Struggled to cope against Japan today. Though not alone and wasn't him who scored the winning own goal. 

I think many people in Scotland just aren't aware of how good football in other parts of the world really is.

This century we have played against three of the teams in Asian qualifying (in friendlies).  Australia twice at home, Japan twice away and S Korea once away.  We have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 3.  Iran and Saudi Arabia (two teams we have played in the past and drawn with both) are top of their respective groups.

The top half dozen countries in Asia are very good quality.  I think we'd struggle to qualify (but we'd probably make it every so often).

3 hours ago, Sydney said:

I think many people in Scotland just aren't aware of how good football in other parts of the world really is.

This century we have played against three of the teams in Asian qualifying (in friendlies).  Australia twice at home, Japan twice away and S Korea once away.  We have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 3.  Iran and Saudi Arabia (two teams we have played in the past and drawn with both) are top of their respective groups.

The top half dozen countries in Asia are very good quality.  I think we'd struggle to qualify (but we'd probably make it every so often).

Aye, but Scotland are hardly a bench mark for top international teams, are we?