Female officials

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

For the first time ( For England) , an All female official team is to be in charge.

Andorra v Engerlund men's qualifier. 

Maybe this is an idea for Scotland- get rid of the west coast owned mafia that officiates at the moment. 

Open up the "type" that we tend to get up here. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

For the first time ( For England) , an All female official team is to be in charge.

Maybe this is an idea for Scotland- get rid of the west coast owned mafia that officiates at the moment. 

Not a problem if they are good enough and not from the Lanarkshire FA. 

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We need more and better officials regardless of their gender. 

This. Couldn’t care less as long as they can do the job well. 

Something needs to give with the current refereeing set up. I’m sick of the blatant bias and fact all of them are from Glasgow or the greater Glasgow area. The odds/ probability are so slim that it doesn’t make sense. What was Leveins stat, 1 Edinburgh ref for the Scottish cup final in 100+ years? I’m going into our next game against the huns just waiting on how we’re going to get cheated. It’s woeful how predictable it is. 

nothing to see here folks 😑

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Who in their right mind would want to be a ref? I did a few under 9s and 12s and the parents were mental. Never again

Aye, my m8 done it. 

**** doing it, get abuse for giving up your time or in Brazil melted in the heed. 

The Treasurer

A difficult job which the authorities and the media don't make any easier. 

Male, female, trans, I don't care. If they can do the job without bias, they will improve the game 

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Who in their right mind would want to be a ref? I did a few under 9s and 12s and the parents were mental. Never again

They’ve been talking about it on Talksport a lot this week. Some of the stories are incredible and certain parents and coaches should be banned. 

Could only be an improvement - our officials are far too keen to be the focal point of the game and "assert their authority". No surprise that they are all ministers, teachers or policemen. They'd be bouncers in another life...

When you are in the sht anything at all is an improvement...

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can't be worse than the men who often have a bad week!

Its purely down to ability.

I am all for any gender as long as they are the best for the job.

What we don't want is fast tracked females in place purely on an equality stunt by the SFA. 

What I will say is the standard of refereeing at the top level is absolutely excellent at the moment imo - the euros were superbly reffed and the italy v Spain game last night as well.

Scotland, not so much.  So if they're there's anyone out there who can improve it, get them in.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

What I will say is the standard of refereeing at the top level is absolutely excellent at the moment imo - the euros were superbly reffed and the italy v Spain game last night as well.

Scotland, not so much.  So if they're there's anyone out there who can improve it, get them in.

The euros was in general brilliantly officiated. 

The most noticeable thing was the amount they let go,  not every missed tackle was a booking. 

Good advantage played as well. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Something needs to give with the current refereeing set up. I’m sick of the blatant bias and fact all of them are from Glasgow or the greater Glasgow area. The odds/ probability are so slim that it doesn’t make sense. What was Leveins stat, 1 Edinburgh ref for the Scottish cup final in 100+ years? I’m going into our next game against the huns just waiting on how we’re going to get cheated. It’s woeful how predictable it is. 

Problem is if we did get female refs/liners they would no doubt come from Celtic/Rangers minded  families.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

What we don't want is fast tracked females in place purely on an equality stunt by the SFA. 

Agreed! Merit is the way to go - always.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

Agreed! Merit is the way to go - always.

Remove the barriers first and then merit.

Looks like that’s what they are doing in England TBF

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Why not? Auld Mary next door could officiate better than half the SFA shite ive witnessed these last few decades. 

She would struggle with the offside laws though!

(If you are a “woke” arsehole the last comment was a joke). 

I'm sure their men would rather they kept the house tidy and made sure their dinner was ready, for when they came home from work .

Priorities!

And stick to netball or that thing they call women's football.

I don’t have a problem with it at all and think it’s something that should’ve happened long ago.  Will only become an issue if they go down the road of ‘we must have 50/50 male/female refs, we must have X amount of black refs, all irrespective of ability’

As long as we don’t start prioritising what genitals or colour of skin you have ahead of your actual ability. 

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

I don’t have a problem with it at all and think it’s something that should’ve happened long ago.  Will only become an issue if they go down the road of ‘we must have 50/50 male/female refs, we must have X amount of black refs, all irrespective of ability’

As long as we don’t start prioritising what genitals or colour of skin you have ahead of your actual ability. 

Pretty much what I said earlier.

However, you have touched on black referees. Since Uriah Rennie retired a good few years ago, I can't say that I have noticed any in English football since.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pretty much what I said earlier.

However, you have touched on black referees. Since Uriah Rennie retired a good few years ago, I can't say that I have noticed any in English football since.

Black people take enough abuse, without becoming a ref.

Captain Canada

I know many won't agree but I think the standard of refereeing in Scotland has improved a fair bit in recent years. Obviously with a couple of notable exceptions. 

Admittedly, it was coming from a very low starting point but some progress has been made. 

As others have said, the abuse referees get at all levels of the game doesn't make it an attractive proposition for men or women to get involved in. 

I once saw the mum of a 12 year old get sent off to the car park by an amateur referee as she was dishing out some horrible abuse to him from the side of the pitch. 

At the time, we were told that our kids could be banned from playing if they or we were abusive to refs. 

There's something not right about spending a Sunday morning screaming obscenities at someone who's giving up their time for £20 or whatever they get per game now. 

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was going to include this.

Who is to blame? 

FAs as it is taken as part of the game.

Dissent by players is not dealt properly.

Abusive language is not dealt with properly.

Abuse from supporters is not dealt with properly. 

Referees need to cut their teeth at grass roots level and this is where the above is needs sorted.

The game does not exist without Referees.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Reminds me of a joke. 

Stay with me... 

Chris Rock-

When talking about motor bikes, he says very few black folk have them, have you ever seen a black motorcyclist?

( remember, this is in America) 

Rambles on about racial issues - a bit tongue in cheek then says.. 

None of that is the reason , black folk already have enough ways to die. 😱😂

I've never seen a black Baker 🤷‍♂️

That has always been a curiosity of mine. 

Good to see the amazing man that is William Stewart giving his thumbs up to this on twitter…oh wait no my mistake , it was “oh ffs” they shouldnt be on a par with men he said.

****ing mental… if they are good enough they deserve to be there. 

15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, my m8 done it. 

**** doing it, get abuse for giving up your time or in Brazil melted in the heed. 

My auld man did it, many years ago mind. Even back then the parents were mental. One parent even took all the kids home after he booked one of them :laugh:

16 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Remove the barriers first and then merit.

Looks like that’s what they are doing in England TBF

Have we not had female linesmen before or am I imagining it? Maybe that's in England.

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm all for it, fitness and ability should be the only factors.

I think England is a bit ahead of Scotland on this, although I don't have the stats.  On the Newcastle thread there was a comment about the increasing number of Muslim players in England.  I wonder whether any of these players might have problems accepting the authority of a woman?

Probably considering they see them as property - and if they do, they can piss off. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
35 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Have we not had female linesmen before or am I imagining it? Maybe that's in England.

We may have.

I was responding to the comment that it should be down to merit. That's not nearly enough IMO and I was just making the point that there remain many many barriers to women's full participation, including attitudes for example. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I don't understand, how do you spot fouls and hand out cards without a pair of testicles?

I kid, of course. This shouldn't even be news but I guess it is so let's have the news and have it become the norm.

3 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Aye. Morag & Kylie.

48 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I don't understand, how do you spot fouls and hand out cards without a pair of testicles?

I kid, of course. This shouldn't even be news but I guess it is so let's have the news and have it become the norm.

👏

On 07/10/2021 at 15:53, OTT said:

I learnt an interesting fact recently that in the last 10 years there hasn’t been a men’s fifa listed referee from Edinburgh. Yet before that every four years Edinburgh were producing quite a few fifa or category one refs

5 minutes ago, jambocall51 said:

I learnt an interesting fact recently that in the last 10 years there hasn’t been a men’s fifa listed referee from Edinburgh. Yet before that every four years Edinburgh were producing quite a few fifa or category one refs

Really? I'd love to know what the reason is. Also, is it not then fair to say that whoever heads up Edinburghs referees is therefore doing a bad job and should stand down? Because if they're not doing a bad job then there should be a referee in there, and if not, why not?

Edit: Really believe these are questions that should be getting asked by Journos. 

Edited by OTT

3 hours ago, JJ93 said:

We have had at least one.

Peter Hetherington was either player or coach at the time.

He gave her the hilarious "stay in the hoose and make yir man's tea next time"

Needless to say, Scottish media only see ia as funny.

Howard Webb is definitely in favour of them...

Howard Webb reveals how dinner with Bibi Steinhaus led to him leaving his wife | Daily Mail Online

Like most proper football fans, I couldn't care less about the ref's gender or background as long as they have a good game and apply a fair and sensible head to proceedings without making it all about them.

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really? I'd love to know what the reason is. Also, is it not then fair to say that whoever heads up Edinburghs referees is therefore doing a bad job and should stand down? Because if they're not doing a bad job then there should be a referee in there, and if not, why not?

Edit: Really believe these are questions that should be getting asked by Journos. 

I believe that the heads of refereeing in Edinburgh are doing everything they can in terms of development of referees. I don’t quite know why they are not getting picked. Perhaps Edinburgh don’t have a good enough batch at this moment in time. 100% journos should ask these questions to the sfa, it’s quite embarrassing that the capital city don’t have a fifa listed referee 

I used to work with that Gavin Duncan (now a ref) and he said the problem is that the West is so dominant when it comes to fast tracking referees rather than the East being rubbish. 

It would probably cost the same for the whole officiating team of women, as it does for a usual ref. Cost cutting.