Newcastle United

The Old Tolbooth

Maroon Sailor
Just now, fast_blood said:

Has he not only been relegated as a manager once? 

Yep due to Aston Villa getting away with a clear goal against them v Sheffield Utd. The night goal line technology failed

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Unknown user

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Yep due to Aston Villa getting away with a clear goal against them v Sheffield Utd. The night goal line technology failed

Oh aye, I forgot about that happening. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The new owners will learn by their mistakes.

I think he's a sensible appointment. No point going for a chequebook manager at this stage.

The whole football structure needs revamping from top to bottom. 

Steady as it goes.

What he done with Bournemouth was incredible. They were on the brink of liquidation.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

JimboJambo1874
On 08/10/2021 at 00:20, Maroon Sailor said:

The location of Newcastle has always been a problem for the club.  Even in the 90s during Keegan's reign it was a big thing to get the likes of Cole, Lee, Ferdinand and Warren Barton to move there. I don't think they would have moved if it wasn't for Keegan.

It must be a factor. As we all know, footballers these days make huge money. When they're not playing, they want to get out and about and enjoy their free time. Newcastle is great for a lads weekend away. When you're earning millions though, you want to in London or Manchester. Liverpool is a draw because of the stature of the club, which if frankly enormous. 

JimboJambo1874
29 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Disagree here, he’s a great manager. Wheels fell off a bit the last 18 months to be fair but the amount of time he was at Bournemouth - with the way inflation went in football with his new signings - was it really a surprise? New challenge for him, he’s an intelligent guy who lives and breathes the game. Will keep them up easy and push on next season IMO. 

He's untested at this level but he deserves the chance. He does appear capable and he did well at a club with a very small budget. We'll know soon enough. Newcastle aren't going to suddenly set the world on fire. If he hasn't achieved after a couple of seasons, they'll make a change. Newcastle fans have to be realistic though. It's a long term transition, from struggling to avoid relegation to challenging for honours.

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The game was first game back after covid, so about 8 games still to play afterwards. One game alone doesn't cause relegation unless it's the final game.

Who is to say Sheffield United would held onto the result that day. Incident was 42nd minute.

Its a moot point.

52 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What he done with Bournemouth was incredible. They were on the brink of liquidation.

They are owned by Russian oligarch by the way.

I would much more give plaudits to Sean Dyche for keeping Burnley up the last 8 years.

It will be an interesting watch, some coaches don't adapt to bigger ego players, will Howe cope?

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The game was first game back after covid, so about 8 games still to play afterwards. One game alone doesn't cause relegation unless it's the final game.

Who is to say Sheffield United would held onto the result that day. Incident was 42nd minute.

Its a moot point.

Moot enough for you to bump your gums about it though

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

They are owned by Russian oligarch by the way.

I would much more give plaudits to Sean Dyche for keeping Burnley up the last 8 years.

It will be an interesting watch, some coaches don't adapt to bigger ego players, will Howe cope?

Aye it had nothing to do with Eddie Howe getting them to the Premier League after keeping their football league status.

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Moot enough for you to bump your gums about it though

I'm not looking for an argument MS, just discussion. I like your posts. Well not this one obviously.:whistling:

I just don't go with teams got relegated because an incident a game. If the incident happened in the last game, then its a valid point. 

Another thread has old chestnut of Robbie being responsible for Hibs winning the cup.

It's bollocks.

Anyway, truce.

I don't want to banned from another thread:lol:

Edited by Tommy Brown

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm not looking for an argument MS, just discussion. I like your posts. Well not this one obviously.:whistling:

I just go with teams got relegated because an incident a game. If the incident happened in the last game, then its a valid point. 

Another thread has old chestnut of Robbie being responsible for Hibs winning the cup.

It's bollocks.

Anyway, truce.

I don't want to banned from another thread:lol:

I think I said on the thread at the time that the disallowed goal for Sheffield Utd could be the difference between Villa staying up and being relegated.

The only time goal line technology has failed and it had serious implications as to who stayed up and who went down at the end of the season.

Look at that late equaliser from McStay in the first game of the 85/86 season - how crucial did that turn out to be.

There are moments in every season that are defining and not just in the last game.

I remember Liverpool snatching a win at Villa and I thought then they would go on to win the league.

Leicester winning 3-0 at Man City another defining moment in 2016

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I don't think an Eddie Howe team has the battling qualities Newcastle are going to require this season.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is sacked within 3 months.

Forever Hearts
13 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

No. Wrong appointment and shows the lack of football knowledge from Staveley and that consortium. 

They'll get it right eventually they're too rich not to but this is a mis-step. 

Howe has multiple relegations under his belt, it doesn't bode well, but it's football so you never know. I think celtic dodged a bullet though.

Can you list these multiple relegations? 

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Is that really an upgrade over Steve Bruce???

Diddy club.

Interesting appointment. An upgrade on Bruce, yes, but not quite the sort of manager they would have been hoping for I'll bet. He'll get some money to spend and will no doubt spend it quite sensibly, and I reckon they'll bring in a couple of cut-price ex-PL players, or guys who haven't really made the cut at Man City / Man Utd etc, or who are doing well at smaller clubs and looking to double their money somewhere else...

Coutinho, Van De Beek, Isak, Bale, Zaha, Bissouma, Lerma, etc are the sort of players who I'd be looking at as a starting point. 

Edited by Batistuta87

16 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Disagree here, he’s a great manager. Wheels fell off a bit the last 18 months to be fair but the amount of time he was at Bournemouth - with the way inflation went in football with his new signings - was it really a surprise? New challenge for him, he’s an intelligent guy who lives and breathes the game. Will keep them up easy and push on next season IMO. 

Weren't they in the fourth tier when he took over? I think he's a great manager myself

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Weren't they in the fourth tier when he took over? I think he's a great manager myself

I like managers who have served their apprenticeship at a lower level. The fact he got a club like Bournemouth in the EPL speaks volumes for him.

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I find this guy a tad annoying now.  His impressions are good but his material is absolutely chronic.  If he is going to continue this he needs to get in proper writers.

On 16/10/2021 at 10:41, Forever Hearts said:

It is farcical. Liverpool finished in 4th place, thirty points behind the winners Arsenal in 2004. They got a place in the Champions League for that wonderful achievement and ended up winning it.🙄

Perhaps the worst example of that, is AC Milan were initially banned from the CL due to Calciopoli scandal in 2006, appealed and were allowed back in, and then won it in 2007.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
8 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Can you list these multiple relegations? 

My bad. He's only relegated Bournemouth! I've perhaps been a bit harsh on him. However I didn't think he did spectacularly well at Burnley...

I think he has his own style of attacking play and is a hard worker but with the money Newcastle now have I imagined they'd be able to afford a manager with a better record in terms of achieving what they need to now which is avoiding relegation.  

Let's see how he does then. 

Forever Hearts
1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

My bad. He's only relegated Bournemouth! I've perhaps been a bit harsh on him. However I didn't think he did spectacularly well at Burnley...

I think he has his own style of attacking play and is a hard worker but with the money Newcastle now have I imagined they'd be able to afford a manager with a better record in terms of achieving what they need to now which is avoiding relegation.  

You missed the bit where he took Bournemouth from the bottom tier to the top tier and kept them there on a far inferior budget to the rest of the league. 

20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The funniest thing about that entire bit is "Eddie Howe resigns as Newcastle United manager after watching 1 training session".

Chronic with the sound on. 

1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Really depends on where the owners see the club after the turn of the year, Howe maybe isn’t the choice you’d make if you think you will be fighting relegation come the last couple of weeks of the season but could be exactly what they need if they plan to spend big in January and expect to be well clear of the relegation zone come may!

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211206_185450.jpg

Hmmmm

Have a few thoughts on this , the sign etc. Rectum.

My thoughts are the shed area. Can only dream of such a covering in one of the corners at Tynie.

Only real choice is the Gorgie Mcleod Street corner.

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211207_171135.thumb.jpg.84ac9a4b52945f80d3d15bb8110f7bbb.jpg

20211207_171142.thumb.jpg.60a00b0bcd46448203e92f67106b03b8.jpg

Shit Direct all gone

From the stands maybe but you can still see it down the bottom right in that picture. 

Maroon Sailor
58 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

From the stands maybe but you can still see it down the bottom right in that picture. 

Some workie will kick that in

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Has to be said the mags and isis United are possibly the most delusional set of supporters in England. They remind me of Aberdeen supporters up here. They me be the richest club in the world but in reality what big superstars are honestly going to rock up a sid James Park and the North East of England. I can just see this whole takeover becoming a mess and more disappoint. 

18 minutes ago, COACH 13 said:

Has to be said the mags and isis United are possibly the most delusional set of supporters in England. They remind me of Aberdeen supporters up here. They me be the richest club in the world but in reality what big superstars are honestly going to rock up a sid James Park and the North East of England. I can just see this whole takeover becoming a mess and more disappoint. 

Mackem?

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, COACH 13 said:

Spoken like a true Mackem 🤣

• 1 month later...

I thought this would be to do with the Sports Direct advertising being taken down. (Discussed previously on the Derby County thread).