Newcastle United

The Old Tolbooth

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Given the human rights abuses and crimes committed by states associated with other major football teams, Man City, PSG, Inter Milan to name but a few I’m not clear why this one is different.

are we just picking a choosing what violations and crimes are acceptable and which are not. Where is that line?

im not defending this, I don’t like it / it shouldn’t be allow but some staggering hypocrisy and double standards being applied. 

:spoton:

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Unknown user

So every thread you open, you get slapped about with ads about the subject. Phone full of Newcastle merchandise, atm. It's happened on a number of threads.Or is it just me. 

I won't be opening a certain thread in the shed. Just in case the devil appears on my phone .

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

But how relevant are trophies that were won before most of the fans were even born?

So all the trophies Hearts greats like Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Cumming and Mackay won are pretty much irrelevant because they were won before most of us were born? 

15 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

That’s easy. We won’t sell our souls.

Kickback is for our souls.

Just reading through this thread for the first time and I swear I hope this post has had the recognition it deserves 🤣🤣👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

highlandjambo3
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So every thread you open, you get slapped about with ads about the subject. Phone full of Newcastle merchandise, atm. It's happened on a number of threads.Or is it just me. 

I won't be opening a certain thread in the shed. Just in case the devil appears on my phone .

You wont be looking in the mirror either then? 😂

10 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Their supporters trust seems happy enough :(

Some of the replies are quite funny

("The Royal Penis is clean your Highness")

but seriously what a nauseating response. I take it their FoH equivalent, the 1892 pledge will be wound up now.

The thing about it that raises the biggest suspicion is, why Newcastle?

For the sort of money this group have, they could have had just about anyone.

11 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Their supporters trust seems happy enough :(

Basically a more polite version of the “please may I have your shirt” signs. 

Anyone who watches the English prem or champions league cannot slate this takeover. It's all about money and was only a matter of time before the Saudis got involved. To suggest the Premier league should block it when the various governments around the world aren't doing much about it is daft. 

I've never met a Newcastle supporter that has demanded titles. All they want is to compete and to not expect relegation every season. Already this season its looking bleak on the pitch and we're only a handful of games in. 

The buzz in the city will be pretty obvious over the next few days and weeks. Looking forward to it. 

Not sure about the Saudi owners personal dealings in anything but they seem to be absolutely minted and I for one am happy for the long suffering magpie fans,they deserve it after being so shit for a very long time, hope it works out for them.

highlandjambo3

Am I right in saying that it wasn’t that long ago their fans trust/supporters club etc were applauding us for out fan ownership model and muted something similar…………

Guess that’s out the window now with WONGS signs flashing before their very eyes.  Not sure how I would be taking this if it was us.  

Big question, it’s certainly not a money making adventure so what is it?  Bragging rights of owning an English premiership club as well as a few super yachts/race horses.  How many Saudis could point to Newcastle on a UK map?  

I think I’d be quietly optimistic.  An interesting watch.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I didn't say that.  But plenty on here repeatedly say what a release 1998 was, because they had actually SEEN hearts win a trophy, not just read about it.

Big clubs win trophies. Newcastle stopped winning trophies over 60 years ago.  But the North East media still treat them as a massive club, that was my point.

Small clubs don't get sold for £300 million

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Am I right in saying that it wasn’t that long ago their fans trust/supporters club etc were applauding us for out fan ownership model and muted something similar…………

Guess that’s out the window now with WONGS signs flashing before their very eyes.  Not sure how I would be taking this if it was us.  

Big question, it’s certainly not a money making adventure so what is it?  Bragging rights of owning an English premiership club as well as a few super yachts/race horses.  How many Saudis could point to Newcastle on a UK map?  

Actually, how many Geordies could point to Newcastle on a map 😂😂

QUESTION: What’s the difference between a kangaroo and a kangaroot?

one is an Australian marsupial………the other is a Geordie stuck in a lift

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good luck to them. Their fans would appreciate a bit of success, unlike other clubs down there.

correct, can’t see Jose/Conte or whoever ends up in charge having to come out and ask the toon fans to pitch up for champions league games!

Forever Hearts
24 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I didn't say that.  But plenty on here repeatedly say what a release 1998 was, because they had actually SEEN hearts win a trophy, not just read about it.

Big clubs win trophies. Newcastle stopped winning trophies over 60 years ago.  But the North East media still treat them as a massive club, that was my point.

I've only seen Hearts win three trophies in 45 years of supporting them. Are we a big club despite massively under achieving when it comes to trophies? 

14 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

It could easily become a money making exercise, fat Mike had them running at a £38m profit despite being utterly toxic in terms of outside sponsorship, the Saudis will easily increase turnover, something Ashley has failed to do since around 2007

18 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Would be a bold move by FoH to turn down that kind of investment. They could even pay to finish off the trams as well 😮

highlandjambo3
4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

It could easily become a money making exercise, fat Mike had them running at a £38m profit despite being utterly toxic in terms of outside sponsorship, the Saudis will easily increase turnover, something Ashley has failed to do since around 2007

Yes but Ashley put nowt into the pot…….Saudis will be expected to WONGA out very quickly and, as I eluded to, don’t think the Saudis are in this to make dosh……..win the premiership within 5 years?  

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

But how relevant are trophies that were won before most of the fans were even born?

Every Hearts Trophy won is a crucial part of the club and its glorious history. You're wrong on this point for sure.

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Three more than Newcastle then.  Of course Hearts are a big club - a huge club in fact.  Why would that be in doubt?

Because we don't win a lot of trophies? Were Manchester United a small club when they went 26 years without winning the league? 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

No. But if they had gone 60+ years, then perhaps.

Again, it seems to be you deciding the timescale for when trophy wins are relevant. 

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

You have summarised, in one short sentence, everything that is wrong with modern football.

I've summarised that Newcastle are a big club. Maybe not in terms of winning trophies recently but I think Wigan fans will concede they are not a big club just because they won the FA cup.

The clubs that win trophies now, on a regular basis all have serious money to achieve that.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

OK then, fair enough.

Sunderland have been English champions 6 times, but Newcastle only 4.  Which is the bigger club?

Not a case of who is bigger. Both are big clubs

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

OK then, fair enough.

Sunderland have been English champions 6 times, but Newcastle only 4.  Which is the bigger club?

I'd honestly say there's not much in it with those two. Sunderland are a far bigger club (potentially) than people realise. 

AlphonseCapone

Who gives a ****. I'm a Hearts and Scottish football fan. Maybe wake me up when English football finally collapses. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

But Newcastle dominate the regional media, and always do, even when they are doing poorly.

I've not wanted to make my contribution to this thread about the relative sizes of clubs, so apologies for that.  It's just that, unless another club actually achieves something, the focus is always on Newcastle regardless.

I understand that Newcastle are currently in the Premier League, but there have been plenty of times over the last 50+ years when they have been utterly ordinary.  Despite this, they still hogged the regional limelight.  I would have thought that Hearts fans especially, frustrated at the constant Glasgow bias, would understand this.

We have our regional news on STV now so a bit better

It's still Reporting Glasgow on the BBC though

32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes but Ashley put nowt into the pot…….Saudis will be expected to WONGA out very quickly and, as I eluded to, don’t think the Saudis are in this to make dosh……..win the premiership within 5 years?  

That was my point, Ashley put no money in yet the club still turned a profit despite revenues (especially sponsorship) not increasing since something like 2007 due to Mike Ashley being toxic in that space due to things like naming SJP the Sports direct arena for a pittance. If you take a club that is already profitable and then apply a 14 year catchup in things like sponsorship revenues then it substantially reduces the amount of money that needs to be ploughed into Newcastle. Yes there will be an initial injection of cash but that is somewhat paid back by increased prize money (going from their current 19th to say 10th would increase that prize money by around £40m this season alone). 

Don't get me wrong, the Saudis may not care a jot about losing 5/600m from owning Newcastle if it helps sports wash their country however they could organically grow Newcastle without incurring huge losses. Time will tell which way they go.

I wonder if the Sauds will secure the £300m paid as mortgage debt and start paying themselves a £20m annual dividend like the Glazer shithouses. That would take the smile of these mag fans.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Not sure about the Saudi owners personal dealings in anything but they seem to be absolutely minted and I for one am happy for the long suffering magpie fans,they deserve it after being so shit for a very long time, hope it works out for them.

Always had a soft spot for Newcastle, being closer to Edinburgh than any other premiership team,

hope this all works out well for the club, their fans deserve a wee bit success.

I'm not a fan of what the EPL has become with all the artificial investment.  If it's going to happen to any club then Newcastle would probably be the place that the fan base would most appreciate it.  I used to be a massive fan of English and Champions League football but never watch it these days.  

I have to say the appeal of foreign billionnaires trying to outspend one another is not high for me.

The sooner this league implodes the better.  And, oh it will.  Of that I am sure.

22 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do we not deserve some? We quite like football as well but miss out on £millions because of geography. 

Absolutely 👍

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Who gives a ****. I'm a Hearts and Scottish football fan. Maybe wake me up when English football finally collapses. 

I think this sums it up for most in this country.  

They have sold their souls and hope the clubs rot in deepest darkest hell.

In a way it will benefit all of football, if they're going to spend billions then that money will make it's way down the food chain, when someone buy Hickey for £30M then some cash will make it's way to us (from the guy that thought Patterson would be sold for £30M (don't be holding your oxygen).

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I think this sums it up for most in this country.  

They have sold their souls and hope the clubs rot in deepest darkest hell.

The club's money grabbers sold the club's souls to broadcasters in 1992.

The real game changer though was Mr Abramovich

Jeffros Furios

I hope none of the morally outraged don't vote Labour or Conservative who supply arms to the Saudis to bomb Yemen 

or will watch the Qatar World Cup ? 

Theses also plenty other sports drenched in the blood of  other equally repulsive regimes .

But im sure if some Sheik bought Hearts our moral compass would go out the window 😀

I have little time for Ann Budge as many will know but I am eternally grateful for her steadying our financial ship.  The importance of healthy manageable accounts is vital.  These clubs will liquidate in the near future, we need to make sure we still stand proud for centuries to come.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I hope none of the morally outraged don't vote Labour or Conservative who supply arms to the Saudis to bomb Yemen 

Theses also plenty other sports drenched in the blood of  other equally repulsive regimes .

But im sure if some Sheik bought Hearts our moral compass would go out the window 😀

You only have to look at the Fruit Pastille hats when Vlad took over

Psychedelicropcircle
3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

No the sheik would be disappointed as I’m not for selling😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏

Just now, cheetah said:

Looking forward to the new Saudi restaurants in the toon. 

I'd rather eat dog shit than eat Halal.

8 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It's a fair point. Overall I think this is good especially to invest in area creating jobs and modernising facilities, and also to improve competition.

But equally everyone is entitled to their views and to do something about that. If I don't like for example women activists being imprisoned and tortured or the totally unnecessary war in Yemen causing the greatest of suffering just because the west hates Iran then I'm entitled to do so. 

Are people saying no one should complain about Saudi Arabia (backed wholeheartedly by the UK) now. That is certainly a big reason for this takeover.

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, i8hibsh said:

I'd rather eat dog shit than eat Halal.

I would rather you ate dogshit too, as a plant based man nothing I eat there will be halal.

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

No the sheik would be disappointed as I’m not for selling😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏

Even if he offered you a 120ft yacht in Monaco :kirk:

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I would rather you ate dogshit too, as a plant based man nothing I eat there will be halal.

If you're vegetarian everything you eat is halal

1 minute ago, cheetah said:

Not that I would expect anything less from clutural and religious beliefs from the dark ages but the preperation of halal meat is nothing short of barbarism.