Newcastle United

The Old Tolbooth

2 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Nor are they murderous thugs (the last time I checked).

A regrettable omission on my part.  

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Unknown user

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

as opposed to the scumbags who dismember journalists?

I was thinking more of a Saudi cousin of Vlad.

Take your point, though, AL.

The truth is very few Newcastle fans will care how or where the money came from. They'll turn up on match day and get behind their team like every other supporter up and down the country. I guess you will get bitter fans from other clubs taking the moral high ground, but they are bitter for a reason. They wish it was their club that was that wealthy.

Edited by Section N Rules

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Are they not making a profit?

Obviously I know the issues their fans have with them but he could have left them in League One if he was truly incompetent. 

Ashley is making a profit, that's what he does. He wouldn't leave the club in league one either because the value of the club would have dropped like a stone.

Nobody is paying him £300 million for a league one club.

He used Newcastle United as a platform for his other business interests.

Leicester City are a example of how a club outwith the top 4 can be run.

Newcastle United need to get a proper structure in place, better recruitment and owners that have ambition but not throwing money at it like confetti at a wedding.

Ashley neglected the club from the bottom to the top with no vision or aspirations for future onfield success - just drifting along season after season.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, Boyces beard said:

First signing will probably be Harry Kane

First sign will probably be for the new stadium name.

Investment in the area and the club is a good thing.

The Saudis are a bit on trial too. The whole links in Britain to crime and abuse is bad enough anyway. It could place pressure for some positive change to fulfill their ownership credentials.

At least its another thing that makes Abramovich seem more like a good guy. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Are you a Sunderland fan by any chance ?

Can't understand why this takeover would upset a Hearts fan so much ! 

Hearts supporter. Don't know why anyone would support takeover of any club by regime such as Saudi Arabia.

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ashley is making a profit, that's what he does. He wouldn't leave the club in league one either because the value of the club would have dropped like a stone.

Nobody is paying him £300 million for a league one club.

He used Newcastle United as a platform for his other business interests.

Leicester City are a example of how a club outwith the top 4 can be run.

Newcastle United need to get a proper structure in place, better recruitment and owners that have ambition but not throwing money at it like confetti at a wedding.

Ashley neglected the club from the bottom to the top with no vision or aspirations for future onfield success - just drifting along season after season.

Are you a Newcastle supporter? You seem to hate Ashley an awful lot for a hearts fan.

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Saudis are a bit on trial too. The whole links in Britain to crime and abuse is bad enough anyway. It could place pressure for some positive change to fulfill their ownership credentials.

Abramovich isn't a good guy by any stretch. Mixed up with Putin and corrupt as can be.

Saudis don't care what we think. They won't change.

Watt-Zeefuik

I hate what Man City has turned into but if you're  a neutral if you can watch the QPR AguerrOOOOO game and see the 60 year old men sitting on the pitch after the match openly sobbing from joy and not feel a little happy for them WTF do you watch football for?

Newcastle's fans have loyally followed a club with terrible ownership for years, and if they get a moment in the sun, I'm happy for them. The trend is terrible for football (whether it's Saudi or American or Scot gazillionaires treating clubs as shiny baubles) but so long as that's the name of the game, I can't begrudge them a little slice of the pie.

In the meantime I'll be proud that our club has money getting pumped into it by thousands of us. Long may it continue.

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are you a Newcastle supporter? You seem to hate Ashley an awful lot for a hearts fan.

I've no time for people like him. Same with Lord Sugar and the West Ham lot who would sell their Grannys if it meant making a personal profit despite not needing the money.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

45 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Nice one, Dave.   

We'd have to navigate that discussion with care though - is  it racist or judgemental  to reject a Saudi billionaire, but ok to accept a European or American one  ? Stuff like that...

With a mega-wealthy guy already on our board..... and fans happily donating £1.5m per year too ..... is the thought of  an approach from a dodgy foreign billionaire really worth considering ?  

I mentioned Saudi as it is topical. The domicile/origin of any owner does tend to come into it, like it or not. 

I do agree it’s not a current issue…but nothing stands still. 

The reality is a majority of the fans will not care about the human rights record of the country itself

They should but they will put that to one side and try to justify the takeover

Having said that putting the takeover to one side the same group invest heavily around the world including Disney, Uber, Facebook, Boeing, Bank of America and even Live Nation............hardly anything said about these investments and it shows the public power football has.

We can also look at other club owners and the realities of life in those states where little has been said or done.

So do we hope the investment is the start of change for the country and in a way will drive improvements for the population and women especially or do we just see it as another country looking to improve its public face in the world ?

I am not sure but care needs to be taken and can we really expect football to be the moral guardians for world wide opinion

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've no time for people like him. Same with Lord Sugar and the West Ham lot who would sell their Grannys if it meant making a personal profit despite not needing the money.

Yeah, cause the rulers of Saudi Arabia are really nice guys.

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I understand that view but in practice it rarely happens. Look at Qatar, one of the arguments for them getting 2022 World Cup is that the scrutiny of having a World Cup would mean that Qatar would be forced to change. Except it didn't, they just denied everything, covered everything up and look to keep the right people happy and throw all the PR to say everything is fine. FIFA gave them what they wanted so there was no incentive to change.

Saudi Arabia will do the same.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

So, a Saudi billionaire offers to buy out FoH and make us the biggest and most successful club in Scotland….discuss. 

What is there to discuss? I'll help them to decorate the beheading and oppression lounge.

Just now, Smithee said:

What is there to discuss? I'll help them to decorate the beheading and oppression lounge.

Newcastle will become the first club to ban heading during a match

Just now, CJGJ said:

Deal done it seems and Ashley has sold the club

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yeah, cause the rulers of Saudi Arabia are really nice guys.

Well that's Ashley for you

Kerching is the only sound he wants to hear

Good luck to them, for the same reason I sympathise with Man City fans.  They had it shite for years and stuck with them through thick and thin so deserve a few years in the sun.  

Naisys Tackle
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

These guys are basically the richest aren't they?

You don't get much richer on the planet. 

16 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Brilliant!  An element of lightheartedness enters this discussion.

The Future's Maroon

Going by their statement they seem to have history in Newcastle and already in talks with the Council about improving it….with their money, it could turn out a very nice city to live!

5 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Going by their statement they seem to have history in Newcastle and already in talks with the Council about improving it….with their money, it could turn out a very nice city to live!

The lassies would need to start covering up though 

Won't be long until Steve Bruce gets his pay off

Then we look at Conte, Zidane and even Gerrard never mind a few others who will jump at the chance to take over

That is the first major decision they need to get right

January will bring with it a demand for new signings but the top level moves might not take place until summer of 2022 onwards......they need to survive this season first and of course with a few decent signings that will happen.

I've no doubt all the infrastructure changes will also move from planning to reality such as ground improvements, training ground, academy etc

Even with all the money it will take a short period of time to really turn things around and a little bit of patience will be required but lets not kid ourselves they will be given it

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Of course,

it was obvious.

Living in Newcastle for the past 30 years, big things are going to happen here.

the muss-use of fair play rules will mean serious investment in the city.

what’s the bets the rugby falcons will be part of a Newcastle sporting club along with the eagles basketball team!

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Is that not this new lot x1000000?

Just left Old George in central Newcastle fair to say the toon is delighted in Ashley's departure. What they get in terms of ethics backing or performance, right now they do not give a shit. They wanted rid of MA and finally it's happened. Interestingly and might be guid for us next Sat is a lot are calling for Gerrard as toon manager.. they'll still be shite mind..

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never seen any uproar about the Saudi owner of Sheffield United

true, but thats because he is a Saudi prince and not a Private investment fund controlled and owned by Saudi Arabia. Doesn't mean he doesn't deserve scrutiny and criticism but they are very different things from what is being criticised with Newcastle. 

Thank **** we're fan owned.

Anyway, look forward to seeing how Steve Bruce spends the considerable warchest coming his way.

Ahem, no wonder he won't be resigning, nice pay off coming his way.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is that not this new lot x1000000?

This lot appear to have a plan that doesn't just involve the football club. The whole City of Newcastle Upon Tyne could prosper with their investment

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/pif-pcp-capital-partners-and-rb-sports-media-acquire-newcastle-united-football-club/

2 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Only if you include all of the Lothians which have 3 top level football teams not just the one.

It's the same difference (Edinburgh and Newcastle metropolitan populations) and the football team is irrelevant to the actual conversation. 

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Newcastle already dominate the North East media in the same way that the Old Firm dominate Scottish media.  This is despite them not winning a trophy this century, or even on colour TV.

I'm glad I'm working late, local teatime news must be insufferable.

They're the only EPL club in the North East and the biggest club in the North East, who would you expect to dominate the media? 🤔

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never seen any uproar about the Saudi owner of Sheffield United

This is the ruling family though. The head of state. 

ColinSmith1255

I lived in Newcastle from 1989 - 1998.

I watched them home and away and had some great times. I am sad to see where the takeover money is coming from but would love to see the fans have a decent team to watch.

An admission, I was at Wembley not Parkhead for the 1998 cup finals. They were played on the same day.😡

Only Hearts now.

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, Section N Rules said:

The truth is very few Newcastle fans will care how or where the money came from. They'll turn up on match day and get behind their team like every other supporter up and down the country. I guess you will get bitter fans from other clubs taking the moral high ground, but they are bitter for a reason. They wish it was their club that was that wealthy.

Ridiculous comment. Personally I’m delighted that we’re not owned by a bunch of murderous scum that deny basic rights left right and center. If that makes me a “bitter” that’s absolutely fine by me.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This lot appear to have a plan that doesn't just involve the football club. The whole City of Newcastle Upon Tyne could prosper with their investment

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/pif-pcp-capital-partners-and-rb-sports-media-acquire-newcastle-united-football-club/

If only US hadn't put troops in Saudi Arabia. Bin Laden might have done this 20 years ago. 

6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It looks like it's about to finally happen and these new Saudi owners have more than 10 times the wealth of Sheikh Mansour at Man City, and it also looks like Newcastle fans will get the success their fans crave fairly soon, I wonder if they'll lure Pep into the mix as well as this will be another blank cheque book job opportunity for him, and I reckon he'd jump at the chance. 

Any Toon fans on here? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this

Thanks 

My favourite English team

I hope it all goes well.

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Australis said:

My favourite English team

I hope it all goes well.

My favourite English team too.

They can go screw themselves after this.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Break this down, wow.

5 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Newcastle are my English team but I’ve hardly watched them of late. 

For the size of club they are they have been underperforming for some time. 

I know some ‘real’ toon fans are not happy with the owners and their baggage. 

However as the EPL has been such a financial farce I’m happy with it. If anything I’m going all in, bring it on. 

Same here. I’ve got half a dozen mates down there and up until the last few years, went down regularly. It’s a truly great club with proper football fans. Quite a lot of them will be wary of this and whatever happens the club will never be like it was ever again. Quite a few don’t think that’s a good thing but I’m sure they’ll get on board and at the same time try an retain as much that is good about the club whilst accepting some of the plastic that’s no doubt coming their way. Shame really that it’s the only real way to get success now.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

My favourite English team too.

They can go screw themselves after this.

Ashley could have sold to someone else but the greedy barsteward wouldn't drop his price.

The EPL is nuts. Football Manager in a nutshell. Sad in my opinion. Selling to Saudi Arabians - Jesus wept.

Hope it goes well for the toon army but I’d be very uncomfortable and would not want that for Hearts. Thank god we are away from that side of it now.

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If only US hadn't put troops in Saudi Arabia. Bin Laden might have done this 20 years ago. 

Bin Laden was an Arsenal fan.