Newcastle United

The Old Tolbooth

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They aren't powerless though, they could stop going but they won't because their so called love for Newcastle over rules sense of what is right and wrong.

I know they could stop going.  Why should a fan who has watched them for decades stop going through guilt when it's the powers that be who should be doing more. 

It is nasty money they are now being funded by but why should the ones least involved in the political stuff pay the price by giving up the team they've supported for decades?

Blame lies elsewhere not the fans. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Unknown user

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You seem bitter about Newcastle fans and the club.

Any reason why if that's the case ?

They sum up English football. Club who have achieved **** all for 50 years believe they deserve to be back where they belong, because they get decent crowds.

They won't find it themselves though, they expect somebody to pump money in, regardless of where it comes from.

We did it ourselves and own our club. They are soulless corporate wannabees.

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

I know they could stop going.  Why should a fan who has watched them for decades stop going through guilt when it's the powers that be who should be doing more. 

It is nasty money they are now being funded by but why should the ones least involved in the political stuff pay the price by giving up the team they've supported for decades?

Blame lies elsewhere not the fans. 

The problem is though that Newcastle fan groups were actively trying to get the Premier League to push through the takeover after it was stopped by the Premier League ruling. Your hardly blameless and guilt free if you are campaigning for the Saudi government to takeover your club.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They sum up English football. Club who have achieved **** all for 50 years believe they deserve to be back where they belong, because they get decent crowds.

They won't find it themselves though, they expect somebody to pump money in, regardless of where it comes from.

We did it ourselves and own our club. They are soulless corporate wannabees.

Name one successful club that hasn't had money pumped in to it ?

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

The problem is though that Newcastle fan groups were actively trying to get the Premier League to push through the takeover after it was stopped by the Premier League ruling. Your hardly blameless and guilt free if you are campaigning for the Saudi government to takeover your club.

But they deserve it apparently. Argument seems to be entirely 'We want it cause others have it and it's just not fair.'

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I get that they'll be desperate for success and silverware. But IMO doing it while spending billions along the way takes the shine off it completely for me. Newcastle fans are true football fans of a massive (in terms of size, fan base etc) club. Man City, PSG etc are just play things these days. Fake clubs with fake fanboi supporters. Newcastle are anything but. 

Man City aren’t a fake club anymore so than Utd Chelsea Liverpool Spurs Arsenal etc City have a long standing history in English football and a loyal fan base, same as all these other clubs with rich owners. I hate all that English football has become but it’s just lazy to say City are somehow less of a club than the rest because they have (until today) the richest owners.

We as Hearts fans welcomed James Anderson’s money hoping it got us closer to the OF if another James Anderson type with unlimited wealth walked through the doors of Tynie tomorrow and invested enough to win us the league would you still support this theory of a fake club?

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

That's a different slant on it and they know what they were campaigning to get rid of Ashley with.

How many of us won't watch any Qatar world cup games even though we know about the construction deaths? 

Strachan was right about no morals in football.

Newcastle is half the size of Edinburgh in population and area. If we were playing in England, we'd most likely be a plastic club for plastic fans. That League will go pop one day when the original fans of these clubs will be priced out of supporting them and they will be nothing but a legacy of a franchise playing in some globetrotter league in Asian and America. 

Edited by Cruyff

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Name one successful club that hasn't had money pumped in to it ?

I suppose it's where the money is coming from.  Even Leicester had good thai backing when they became better.   No club does it without it now except us...

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

But they deserve it apparently. Argument seems to be entirely 'We want it cause others have it and it's just not fair.'

Yup. Newcastle deserves better owners, they deserve owners who will put money into the club and let them push more of their potential.

But this takeover isn't that, this is about getting owners who skew the transfer market for smaller clubs, who undermine much of football (just like Man City and PSG.)

To be fair to Newcastle fans, I understand why they feel targeted with all the flack for this takeover when Man City are the same, but doesn't mean they cant face criticism.  And to be fair there are Newcastle fans who feel sickened about their club with this takeover.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Newcastle is half the size of Edinburgh in population and area. If we were playing in England, we'd most likely be a plastic club for plastic fans. That League will go pop one day when the original fans of these clubs will be priced out of supporting them and they will be nothing but a legacy of a franchise playing in some globetrotter league in Asian and America. 

Hope so.

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

There are literally no reasons to like Saudi Arabia as a country.  Not one.

For once I agree with you. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Because you can't

It's all about money

Nope, about pride in your club, it's history and tradition. Newcastle sold theirs to a murderous state, who are hiding behind shell investment fund because they know they can't pass any owners test if they front up as themselves. Where's the pride in that.

Just now, davemclaren said:

So, a Saudi billionaire offers to buy out FoH and make us the biggest and most successful club in Scotland….discuss. 

They would not want the women's team - they can GTF!

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nope, about pride in your club, it's history and tradition. Newcastle sold theirs to a murderous state, who are hiding behind shell investment fund because they know they can't pass any owners test if they front up as themselves. Where's the pride in that.

Not sure what all that has to do with the fans.

The fans want rid of Ashley - who he sells to is not their doing

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So, a Saudi billionaire offers to buy out FoH and make us the biggest and most successful club in Scotland….discuss. 

Nope, no chance. Never again. Would never meet the percentage required to go through.

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No thanks. 

Салатные палочки
12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Man City aren’t a fake club anymore so than Utd Chelsea Liverpool Spurs Arsenal etc City have a long standing history in English football and a loyal fan base, same as all these other clubs with rich owners. I hate all that English football has become but it’s just lazy to say City are somehow less of a club than the rest because they have (until today) the richest owners.

We as Hearts fans welcomed James Anderson’s money hoping it got us closer to the OF if another James Anderson type with unlimited wealth walked through the doors of Tynie tomorrow and invested enough to win us the league would you still support this theory of a fake club?

I used City as an example really. I'm aware they are as much of a club as Chelsea or Man United. My point is what they have all become. They as much a football club as they are a tourist attraction. They have all sold their soul to men or groups who don't give a shiney shite about their fans or their history. 

If we won the league by out-spending every other team, would it feel as much of an achievement as it would if we did it under normal circumstance? For me it wouldn't and the reason for that is it doesn't seem honest to me. I know Hearts aren't going to regularly win trophy's and that's what makes it all the sweeter when we do. I can't imagine winning the FA or League Cup even register's as special for any City, United or Chelsea fan these days. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

I used City as an example really. I'm aware they are as much of a club as Chelsea or Man United. My point is what they have all become. They as much a football club as they are a tourist attraction. They have all sold their soul to men or groups who don't give a shiney shite about their fans or their history. 

If we won the league by out-spending every other team, would it feel as much of an achievement as it would if we did it under normal circumstance? For me it wouldn't and the reason for that is it doesn't seem honest to me. I know Hearts aren't going to regularly win trophy's and that's what makes it all the sweeter when we do. I can't imagine winning the FA or League Cup even register's as special for any City, United or Chelsea fan these days. 

City fans are quite funny. They boo CL music, don't  turn up to CL games, pretend to be outraged by Superleague, yet are happy to see their state sponsored team spend £100m on one player.

They want to be the old Man City but they crossed over to being another corporate club.

Malinga the Swinga
26 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Newcastle upon Tyne is substantially bigger than Edinburgh though. They could be local club, but are obsessed with chasing money. Would be nice to see them doing a Derby or better still, a Bury.

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

I detest what English football has become. 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's become non English football 

Both of the above, but it's being going on a very long time. 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The location of Newcastle has always been a problem for the club.  Even in the 90s during Keegan's reign it was a big thing to get the likes of Cole, Lee, Ferdinand and Warren Barton to move there. I don't think they would have moved if it wasn't for Keegan.

Money talks though. The same would be true if the arse-cheeks ever made it to English football (they won't) but most of these pampered football players want to be seen about the big nightclubs and restaurants in the big cities. I think even Manchester is a bit of a stretch for some of them

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Never.

Especially with the work FOH put in to get us where we are now.

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, martoon said:

Good luck to them.

A lot of competition for the silverware down there but I'd imagine a funded Newcastle will get a share.

Exciting times for their fans. 50k a home game, unswerving loyalty, despite many kicks in the teeth.

I'd be thrilled If a Saudi bought 49% of Hearts. Although knowing our luck we'd get the eccentric nutter.

as opposed to the scumbags who dismember journalists?

upgotheheads
24 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What does it profit a man if he gains the world and loses his soul. 

Mark 8.36

Kalamazoo Jambo
26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s easy. We won’t sell our souls.

Kickback is for our souls.

22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I understand your point. But I hope everyone here has been consistent had has boycotted petrol,Shell and BP forecourts,  Boeing aircraft, Disney, Facebook, Uber, EA video games etc. 

They funded 9/11 and brutally murdered a journalist but morals and standing up for what you believe are in short supply these days. 

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Newcastle upon Tyne is substantially bigger than Edinburgh though. They could be local club, but are obsessed with chasing money. Would be nice to see them doing a Derby or better still, a Bury.

Nope. 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are you a Sunderland fan by any chance ?

Can't understand why this takeover would upset a Hearts fan so much ! 

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Probably deserves its own thread Dave?

Aren't Sky viewing  figures very healthy in Scotland ? 

Maybe nobody has the Sports packages 😉

Auld Reekin'
19 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:fonzie:

22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nope. 

Population of Edinburgh is greater than Newcastle BUT the population of the metropolitan area of Newcastle (809,000) is almost double that of the Edinburgh equivalent.

28 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Took me a wee while to get that. 😄

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

Population of Edinburgh is greater than Newcastle BUT the population of the metropolitan area of Newcastle (809,000) is almost double that of the Edinburgh equivalent.

Metropolitan population of Edinburgh is 901,455. 

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

Halal the Lads

👏😂Underrated post IMHO

“We’re only here to not drink beer and cut the hands off wummin!”😞

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Metropolitan population of Edinburgh is 901,455. 

Only if you include all of the Lothians which have 3 top level football teams not just the one.

The richest, yet most soulless league in the world. 
I think Newcastle are in for a few

Romanov-esque seasons! 

Good luck to the supporters, as we know only to well -they’ll take the brunt of it. 

Edited by Mister Dee

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

D40A8972-1C3A-4E3F-BA27-608EF09B9193.jpeg

This just looks so completely wrong. Not as wrong as when he went to Dundee, but still wrong.

There's a potential element of hypocrisy here but an extremely minor one.  I'm sure the vast majority of us wouldn't touch the Saudi money with a bargepole.  I certainly wouldn't.

On the other hand, we have celebrated large contributions from anonymous benefactors.

The obvious difference is the scale and the fact that our benefactors aren't our owners. 

Personally, I wouldn't swap FoH as owners for anything.

Newcastle won't be winning trophies, they'll be buying them.  Just like Chelsea, Man City and others.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Nice one, Dave.   

We'd have to navigate that discussion with care though - is  it racist or judgemental  to reject a Saudi billionaire, but ok to accept a European or American one  ? Stuff like that...

With a mega-wealthy guy already on our board..... and fans happily donating £1.5m per year too ..... is the thought of  an approach from a dodgy foreign billionaire really worth considering ?  

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

The obvious difference is the scale and the fact that our benefactors aren't our owners. 

Nor are they murderous thugs (the last time I checked).

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

His crime was not being able to run a football club. 

Are they not making a profit?

Obviously I know the issues their fans have with them but he could have left them in League One if he was truly incompetent.