Newcastle United

The Old Tolbooth

The Old Tolbooth

It looks like it's about to finally happen and these new Saudi owners have more than 10 times the wealth of Sheikh Mansour at Man City, and it also looks like Newcastle fans will get the success their fans crave fairly soon, I wonder if they'll lure Pep into the mix as well as this will be another blank cheque book job opportunity for him, and I reckon he'd jump at the chance. 

Any Toon fans on here? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this

Thanks 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Malinga the Swinga

• Unknown user

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

It’s really obscene. 

Perhaps but if any fans deserve a bit of success they do. 

Same could be said for Sunderland. 

They love their football in that area. 

First singing Cammy Devlin 25M with a 30% sell on clause. 

Bruce will be the first to go. Might bring someone else in until the summer then that's when it will become silly will get in a new manager probs Jose from Roma and a blank cheque book. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

I detest what English football has become. 

It's become non English football 

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

We'll see if the likes of Mbappe and Haaland want to live in the toon

If they had any sense they'd build a training ground near London and fly in for games! 

Good luck to them.

A lot of competition for the silverware down there but I'd imagine a funded Newcastle will get a share.

Exciting times for their fans. 50k a home game, unswerving loyalty, despite many kicks in the teeth.

I'd be thrilled If a Saudi bought 49% of Hearts. Although knowing our luck we'd get the eccentric nutter.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The location of Newcastle has always been a problem for the club.  Even in the 90s during Keegan's reign it was a big thing to get the likes of Cole, Lee, Ferdinand and Warren Barton to move there. I don't think they would have moved if it wasn't for Keegan.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Салатные палочки

I get that they'll be desperate for success and silverware. But IMO doing it while spending billions along the way takes the shine off it completely for me. Newcastle fans are true football fans of a massive (in terms of size, fan base etc) club. Man City, PSG etc are just play things these days. Fake clubs with fake fanboi supporters. Newcastle are anything but. 

Hagar the Horrible
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Why?    Just showing loyalty does not equal success.  They are going to have to pay $40m for a £10m player. and if you are just a £10m player with all things being equal, you would rather play for Palace or Fulham rather than move to the NE.

So to get players equal to Chelsea or Citeh, they will have to pay a lot more for a bench warmer at those clubs.  They wont get a Van Dyke or a Mo Salah.   They might get John McGinn but paying him £100k a week more than at Villa, wont turn him into Messi.  They could get Bale though, but its a bit far from Welsh Wales.  Pogba will be a curse.

I still maintain If Keegan bought a half decent defence, instead of wasting £20m on Shearer when they already had, Cole, Beardsley, Ginnola, Gilespie  and they Hibsed it mig time

Sorry they are just not fashionable nor desireable

13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Do we not deserve some? We quite like football as well but miss out on £millions because of geography. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

I get that they'll be desperate for success and silverware. But IMO doing it while spending billions along the way takes the shine off it completely for me. Newcastle fans are true football fans of a massive (in terms of size, fan base etc) club. Man City, PSG etc are just play things these days. Fake clubs with fake fanboi supporters. Newcastle are anything but. 

Think these owners want to do things gradually. Getting Newcastle United to be competitive and good to watch again is the first step.

2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

ask Man City fns how they feel

the older ones feel they deseve it having stuck by them through thick and thin.

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

ask Man City fns how they feel

the older ones feel they deseve it having stuck by them through thick and thin.

They'll be the same ones pissed off at the young ones standing with their cameras out the whole game probably. 

13 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I detest what English football has become. 

Gave up on Chelsea then.

Sad times 😭😭😭

9 hours ago, luckydug said:

Crap club/fans. Funny old world.....!

SuperstarSteve

10x the wealth of city.
Madness but the premier league just got one more team who will challenge at the top end of the table making it even more competitive.

Phil D. Corners

Newcastle are my English team but I’ve hardly watched them of late. 

For the size of club they are they have been underperforming for some time. 

I know some ‘real’ toon fans are not happy with the owners and their baggage. 

However as the EPL has been such a financial farce I’m happy with it. If anything I’m going all in, bring it on. 

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The location of Newcastle has always been a problem for the club.  Even in the 90s during Keegan's reign it was a big thing to get the likes of Cole, Lee, Ferdinand and Warren Barton to move there. I don't think they would have moved if it wasn't for Keegan.

I’ve always thought this about the location.

Imagine your a young foreign lad that both Newcastle and Spurs are after.

Same offer on the table, wages/signing on fee etc.

The bright lights will win it.

Having said that nowadays Newcastle is a good city to live in. All these old industrial areas/cities have spruced up and got their act together.

Another thing I like about them & Sunderland is the huge loyal support they have with very little success in living memory.

No chance the uglies would have the support they have if it wasn’t for the fact they win all the time and bigotry of course.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I was born on Tyneside so have a soft spot for Newcastle United. Disgusted that Saudi Arabia will be getting its hands on the club, given the Saudi’s appalling human rights record.

Took Man City 4 years to win the league.

Though they had the Thai owners beforehand with Sven Goran Eriksson manager. Although the squad was comparable to Newcastle's now.

Hectormasson
27 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Very well put 👏👏

John Findlay
29 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I disagree with regards to Man City. They won silverware in the very late 60s and early to Mid 70s. Beating Newcastle 2-1 in the 1976 league cup final. Newcastle's last trophy was in 1969 the old intercity FAIRS Cup.

Their last domestic trophy was the FA Cup in 1955 I believe.

Newcastle are my English team, the mrs is a geordie so grew to like the club and try get to a few games a season. Im glad Ashley is selling up and the money available to the club will be insane. I just hope St James park doesn't become full of tourists and loses it atmosphere and passion.

32 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They’ve also got the problem that the players would be expected to put over SA in interviews, which the players know could blow up on them. (If say another journalist gets murdered the week after they’ve said Saudi is the greatest place on earth.)

1 minute ago, JCR said:

They’ve also got the problem that the players would be expected to put over SA in interviews, which the players know could blow up on them. (If say another journalist gets murdered the week after they’ve said Saudi is the greatest place on earth.)

That would be brushed under a very large carpet.

The Saudis are our pals, don’t ye know !

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Newcastle are my English team, the mrs is a geordie so grew to like the club and try get to a few games a season. Im glad Ashley is selling up and the money available to the club will be insane. I just hope St James park doesn't become full of tourists and loses it atmosphere and passion.

That could be a problem but it lost it's atmosphere when Ashley ripped the heart and soul out the club.

A club like Newcastle United with it's fanbase should not just be happy to finish 17th in the Premier League and forfeit the domestic cup competitions.

50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Live in London and helicopter up . Rafa done that from Liverpool so did Owen. 

11 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Time for them to build the Gallowgate like the other stand behind the goal. Don't think the can really do anything with the stand over from the main with the houses behind it would look class if all 4 sides were joined. 

Wonder when football will find its way back to the working class, touristy, that’s what the greatest game on the planet has become.

jamboinglasgow

Feels a real monkeys paw type deal for Newcastle fans, they get rid of Ashley and get lots of money, but they are selling their soul for a state with a horrible human rights record to use them as a tool for PR to whitewash their human rights. Its the same with Man City and PSG but an even worse state owner.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

Wonder when football will find its way back to the working class, touristy, that’s what the greatest game on the planet has become.

That's what clubs have become. When I was a kid you could go round any ground just by knocking on the front door and ask to have a walk around the pitch.

Now it's stadium tours

51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Interesting right enough.

My MD used to be an EPL linesman and got blamed for big Sam Allardyce getting the sack from Newcastle.

He met big Sam when he moved to Blackburn the following season and thought he was going to give him a black eye in the Ref's changing room. Turns out he gave him a huge hug and said it was brilliant because his wife hated staying anywhere near Newcastle and they bought a Spanish holiday villa with his golden handshake money he got when he was "invited to leave"....he ended up naming the villa 'St James's Park' :lol:

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's what clubs have become. When I was a kid you could go round any ground just by knocking on the front door and ask to have a walk around the pitch.

Now it's stadium tours

Maybe just the way I’m feeling today MS, just find it all a bit  sad 😞 

Not a Newcastle fan as such, but do go to games with my mate who is. Actually going to the game at home to Spurs next Sunday and there'll be a real buzz about the place.

Overwhelmingly positive news for most Toon fans but will be interesting to see how it pans out. Ashley needs to go and that goes without saying, but I really hope they don't sell their soul with this deal. St James Park might not have the most certain future. Not really much scope to expand it further, and with Newcastle already a sell-out club most weeks, it's surely only a matter of time before the Saudi's want a bigger stadium to capitalise on new fans and more corporate areas.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, jamboozy said:

Maybe just the way I’m feeling today MS, just find it all a bit  sad 😞 

I feel the same about how football has gone away from the working class.

I watch the Big Match Revisited on ITV 4 to remind me when it was a proper game with homegrown talent

11 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Time for them to build the Gallowgate like the other stand behind the goal. Don't think the can really do anything with the stand over from the main with the houses behind it would look class if all 4 sides were joined. 

Yeah the side with the Strawberry Corner is pretty condemned to ever improving. There's a listed building behind it I'm sure so no chance of expanding. The Gallowgate end I think could be expanded but I'm not sure if it could quite go the side of the other 2 stands. Think there's certain work arounds, but they all come with pretty high costs with no drastic improvement on capacity.

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

FFP rules will ensure they don't overspend past their income, yeah right.

Interestingly it looks like they benefit from Ashley getting a profit from Newcastle last 3 seasons where it allows new owners to spend over £100m. Tweet below explains (ignore them calling Tyneside, Tynecastle.)