• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• manaliveits105

• Japan Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Seymour M Hersh

On 08/10/2021 at 22:04, robroy1874 said:

And each month China builds a new coal fired power station which will emit more than the total UK emissions. Where's Greetin Thunderberg on that one?

Yep.    Most fuelled by Australian coal - a country which is suffering heightened wildflres and droughts, but which doesn't seem to care.

Someone posted a  map of the world a day or 2 back with a circle drawn on it around China, India etc - to illustrate that it contains more than half the world's population.

Juts look at the size of their biggest cities -

Top 50 of the Largest Cities in Mainland China by Population of Urban Area
Rank City Province Latest Estimate[4] 2010 Census[5]
1 Shanghai#~ 26,917,322 20,217,748
2 Beijing# 20,381,745 16,704,306
3 Chongqing# 15,773,658 6,263,790
4 Tianjin#~ 13,552,359 9,583,277
5 Guangzhou#*~ Guangdong 13,238,590 10,641,408
6 Shenzhen Guangdong 12,313,714 10,358,381
7 Chengdu#* Sichuan 9,104,865 7,791,692
8 Nanjing* Jiangsu 9,314,685 5,827,888
9 Wuhan#* Hubei 8,346,205 7,541,527
10 Xi'an#* Shaanxi 7,948,032 5,403,052
11 Hangzhou* Zhejiang 7,603,271 5,849,537
12 Dongguan Guangdong 7,402,305 7,271,322
13 Foshan Guangdong 7,313,711 6,771,895
14 Shenyang* Liaoning 7,191,333 5,718,232
15 Harbin* Heilongjiang 6,360,991 4,596,313
16 Qingdao~ Shandong 5,597,028 4,556,077
17 Dalian~ Liaoning 5,587,814 3,902,467
18 Jinan* Shandong 5,330,573 3,641,562

Салатные палочки

Accommodation prices in some hotels and B&B's in Glasgow up 2000% during COP26. They're now asking people in the local areas to put people up for free. So while the hotels make a fortune, you get your jewellery stolen. 

On 09/10/2021 at 06:44, The Real Maroonblood said:

Having it in kid on Scotland’s capital is a disgrace.

😕

It's not, it's in Glasgow, the biggest city. Where the M8 is chock full every day. Embarrassing and Perfect for Cop26. Edinburgh has a festival, which is embarrassing, so when it's talentless, cringe26 👍 . ⚖️ 

Oh and London is Scotland's capital for now. Unfortunately.

Edited by ri Alban

On 07/10/2021 at 09:49, Boy Daniel said:

I heard an unverified story that Cop26 have spent thousands on electric cars to ferry delegate to and from the venue. Only trouble is where they are parked there are no electric chargers so they have hire a diesel generator to charge them! 

Just saw that on facebook. Apparently the Scottish Government has spent £2m on 20 Tesla cars and Gleneagles doesn't have charging points and all the ones on route don't fit these models so they are being powered by a big feck off diesel generator.

No idea if this is true or not but it does seem very much like something the SG would do 😄

I can't wait for the paggers between the Glesga polis, extinction rebellion, and insulate Britain, then throw in the Green Brigade, and the Govan goose steppers, and it should make for riveting viewing🤣🤣🤣

19 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Accommodation prices in some hotels and B&B's in Glasgow up 2000% during COP26. They're now asking people in the local areas to put people up for free. So while the hotels make a fortune, you get your jewellery stolen. 

You can choose to rent it out if you wish. A friend's neighbours in the New Gorbals are renting out their two-bedroom flat for a fortnight - for £17,000!

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I can't wait for the paggers between the Glesga polis, extinction rebellion, and insulate Britain, then throw in the Green Brigade, and the Govan goose steppers, and it should make for riveting viewing🤣🤣🤣

it's not just the Glasgow militia, they're being shipped in by the hundred from forces all over the UK, particularly the Met who don't ***** about. 

On 07/10/2021 at 12:41, Seymour M Hersh said:

Quite why any politician would give this troubled young person the time of day escapes me. Her latest rant about the UK being responsible for climate change because we had the temerity to be ingenious enough to have the industrial revolution which improved millions of lives etc etc etc just shows how troubled she is. Her parents need locking up for allowing/assisting this abuse to happen to her.

image.jpeg.d8c56b0a620a6f0124062321d85d4c3e.jpeg

Is it in Glasgow at the request of those who want change, or those who don't?

"Without changes, the whole world will look like this"

Or 

"If this is the world, is it really worth preserving? Fire up the power stations!"

Edited by Taffin

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just saw that on facebook. Apparently the Scottish Government has spent £2m on 20 Tesla cars and Gleneagles doesn't have charging points and all the ones on route don't fit these models so they are being powered by a big feck off diesel generator.

No idea if this is true or not but it does seem very much like something the SG would do 😄

You can fit an electric car PowerPoint onto any local 240v electrical source for about £800 and fitted in a few hours so, if this insight has been picked up it will be quickly rectified. 

Psychedelicropcircle
13 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Type 2 (Tesla) plug ins are everywhere even between gleneagles & glesga…. Whether  they happen to be working, well that’s another matter!

20 hours ago, jonesy said:

I think Humza is going to pedal-power the dynamo generator.

Until he falls off. 

Does he have his cycling proficiency license though?

Just now, jonesy said:

Well, he is total helmet, so that’s a start.

He's actually so incompetent he is hilarious.

Every time he's on the telly the Benny Hill theme tune springs to mind. A total arsehole.

Is it true that China is not attending? Perhaps not Russia either? Expect an infographic showing how much of the problem is not debating a solution. 

18 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Is it true that China is not attending? Perhaps not Russia either? Expect an infographic showing how much of the problem is not debating a solution. 

No figureheads but, as in all these things, it's the delegation who do all the work while the leaders pose for photos and generally talk shite !

The Chinese and Russians will be there in numbers.

The Mighty Thor

I read this morning that Johnson and Sunak are at odds with each other over the costs of dealing with climate change. 

Sunak is aligning himself with the ERG/Tory hard right who believe climate change is bollocks and that the Tory donors and sponsors must be protected at all costs. 

Rather than worry about the cost of doing something they should worry about the cost of doing nothing. 

When does this actually go ahead. I try to keep up with current affairs. But Elementary is better viewing. And I've seen it before.

Apparently On Thursday, it was announced all rail staff will strike from 00:01 on Monday 1 November until 23:59 on Friday 12 November.

This will affect anyone wishing to travel to Tynecastle by train for Dundee Utd game on 6th November 

With all the nutter groups on the go looking for any excuse to cause chaos or have a riot I am glad I don't live in Glasgow. I think this could be car crash tv and a disaster waiting to happen. You wonder if some terrorists will fancy the opportunity also. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Has Greta be brought out a perfume range yet ?

Don't know about perfume but she maybe wants to try this (whatever it is). 

th-3.jpeg

John Gentleman
On 11/10/2021 at 03:26, Lone Striker said:

Yep.    Most fuelled by Australian coal - a country which is suffering heightened wildflres and droughts, but which doesn't seem to care.

Someone posted a  map of the world a day or 2 back with a circle drawn on it around China, India etc - to illustrate that it contains more than half the world's population.

Juts look at the size of their biggest cities -

Top 50 of the Largest Cities in Mainland China by Population of Urban Area
Rank City Province Latest Estimate[4] 2010 Census[5]
1 Shanghai#~ 26,917,322 20,217,748
2 Beijing# 20,381,745 16,704,306
3 Chongqing# 15,773,658 6,263,790
4 Tianjin#~ 13,552,359 9,583,277
5 Guangzhou#*~ Guangdong 13,238,590 10,641,408
6 Shenzhen Guangdong 12,313,714 10,358,381
7 Chengdu#* Sichuan 9,104,865 7,791,692
8 Nanjing* Jiangsu 9,314,685 5,827,888
9 Wuhan#* Hubei 8,346,205 7,541,527
10 Xi'an#* Shaanxi 7,948,032 5,403,052
11 Hangzhou* Zhejiang 7,603,271 5,849,537
12 Dongguan Guangdong 7,402,305 7,271,322
13 Foshan Guangdong 7,313,711 6,771,895
14 Shenyang* Liaoning 7,191,333 5,718,232
15 Harbin* Heilongjiang 6,360,991 4,596,313
16 Qingdao~ Shandong 5,597,028 4,556,077
17 Dalian~ Liaoning 5,587,814 3,902,467
18 Jinan* Shandong 5,330,573 3,641,562

Wrong. Australia has been in China's bad boy books for a couple of years now and coal imports were one of the first casualties, though they have been releasing Aussie coal from 'storage' in the last few weeks due to their energy crisis. At one point there were 70+ ships full of Aussie coal stranded off the Chinese coast due to their sudden and arbitrary ban on imports. Eventually, they were diverted to South Korea and Japan amongst other countries in the region.
All coal is clarty, but there are degrees of clartiness. China's current strategy of upping their own production of low grade thermal and buying more from India and Indonesia (also low grade) is a spectacular own goal. This shit is exremely low in kJ/g (energy) value and therefore emits huge quantities of carbon emissions compared to even low-grade Aussie thermal coal. 
Xi's probably avoiding COP to save face as he'd get it in the ear. One of the cultural 'norms' of east Asian peoples is to 'save face' at any cost and that's exactly what he's doing.
All coal (eventually) will go the way of the dodo, but to get there you start by getting rid of the dirtiest stuff first.

Back of the Bus

The “what about China?” Argument is an interesting one. 

If you were to throw out everything you own either entirely or partially manufactured in China you’d most likely be sitting naked on an orange box posting to kickback via letter. 

19 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Wrong. Australia has been in China's bad boy books for a couple of years now and coal imports were one of the first casualties, though they have been releasing Aussie coal from 'storage' in the last few weeks due to their energy crisis. At one point there were 70+ ships full of Aussie coal stranded off the Chinese coast due to their sudden and arbitrary ban on imports. Eventually, they were diverted to South Korea and Japan amongst other countries in the region.
All coal is clarty, but there are degrees of clartiness. China's current strategy of upping their own production of low grade thermal and buying more from India and Indonesia (also low grade) is a spectacular own goal. This shit is exremely low in kJ/g (energy) value and therefore emits huge quantities of carbon emissions compared to even low-grade Aussie thermal coal. 
Xi's probably avoiding COP to save face as he'd get it in the ear. One of the cultural 'norms' of east Asian peoples is to 'save face' at any cost and that's exactly what he's doing.
All coal (eventually) will go the way of the dodo, but to get there you start by getting rid of the dirtiest stuff first.

Didn't know about the recent downturn in Australian coal exports to China, John - thanks for pointing it out.   Is Australia being successful in finding other markets for its coal ?      Unfortunately, demand is what  drives unclean activities -  whether its coal or just shipping consumer goods & raw materials across the world.   

5 hours ago, Back of the Bus said:

If you were to throw out everything you own either entirely or partially manufactured in China you’d most likely be sitting naked on an orange box posting to kickback via letter. 

Indeed so.   The economic model which the West has followed for over 50 years (outsourcing various types of manufacturing to China, Japan  & India)  has  helped these countries economies greatly - but the "cost" to the environment & climate was been ignored until recently.   Now we're all in a right pickle. 😕

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Didn't know about the recent downturn in Australian coal exports to China, John - thanks for pointing it out.   Is Australia being successful in finding other markets for its coal ?      Unfortunately, demand is what  drives unclean activities -  whether its coal or just shipping consumer goods & raw materials across the world. 

Yes and no. Bituminous (thermal) coal is struggling (or was until the global energy crisis emerged) but when you get up to metallurgical (coking) grades there wasn't any problem finding other markets. 
The thermal market has become a pass-the-parcel game. China is now importing from India, which leaves India itself short. Guess who's filling the gap? Australia!
We're living in strange times.....

I don't own anything from China, not even a component. :jambobanana:

Just kidding, my further posts will be in the post . :( Fecking Motorola is Chinese now. I just got rid of huawei. :vangry:

Edited by ri Alban

highlandjambo3
20 hours ago, Back of the Bus said:

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't own anything from China, not even a component. :jambobanana:

Just kidding, my further posts will be in the post . :( Fecking Motorola is Chinese now. I just got rid of huawei. :vangry:

When I did my portable appliance training course, one thing I found out to my surprise:

The Chinese have been very clever (deceitful) in making and selling their products abroad.  When you see the CE logo on an electrical item you assume it’s the European mark of quality assurance…..sometimes it is but, mostly it’s not now.

Pictures posted below show CE Euro logo and C E (Chinese Engineering) logo with the letters C E on the Chinese logo slightly further apart…….the second plug picture was the very first thing that came to hand just now, my I Phone charger, you can clearly see C E made in China displayed.

Now, a challenge for you, go and check any random electrical item you can find close to hand, whether your at home or at work.  Try and find an item with C E that is not made in China, tv, fridge, hoover, iron etc……

Reply to this message with “China” or “Europe” so everyone can see the vast amount of kit from China that surrounds us.

218BF4B5-68FA-499E-8B24-1C34C00EE6DE.gif

30FCBF22-6080-4E67-ABAE-2C9CF402EB02.jpeg

highlandjambo3
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

When I did my portable appliance training course, one thing I found out to my surprise:

The Chinese have been very clever (deceitful) in making and selling their products abroad.  When you see the CE logo on an electrical item you assume it’s the European mark of quality assurance…..sometimes it is but, mostly it’s not now.

Pictures posted below show CE Euro logo and C E (Chinese Engineering) logo with the letters C E on the Chinese logo slightly further apart…….the second plug picture was the very first thing that came to hand just now, my I Phone charger, you can clearly see C E made in China displayed.

Now, a challenge for you, go and check any random electrical item you can find close to hand, whether your at home or at work.  Try and find an item with C E that is not made in China, tv, fridge, hoover, iron etc……

Reply to this message with “China” or “Europe” so everyone can see the vast amount of kit from China that surrounds us.

Sorry…..

Euro has a space

China is closer together 

3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Just bought a new Makita DMR112. It's made in China. :rofl:Along with the Toshiba microwave,  Shark hoover, hisense and the rest of ma stuff. 

Who makes Nissan Leafs, I just bought an electric one of them.

highlandjambo3
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just bought a new Makita DMR112. It's made in China. :rofl:Along with the Toshiba microwave,  Shark hoover, hisense and the rest of ma stuff. 

Who makes Nissan Leafs, I just bought an electric one of them.

Told you……it’s actually quite difficult to find the European C E now………and China are not attending the COP that’s why we’re all goosed.

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Told you……it’s actually quite difficult to find the European C E now………and China are not attending the COP that’s why we’re all goosed.

They've stuck a UK next to the CE on ma microwave. Fecking sneaky *******s.

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

They've stuck a UK next to the CE on ma microwave. Fecking sneaky *******s.

See now that you know this……you’ll be checking all sorts 😂

Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

See now that you know this……you’ll be checking all sorts 😂

Just looked up the Nissan Leaf. It's made in England. That'll last long 😢 :D

Jeffros Furios

On my morning walk along the canal I bumped into about 20 pilgrims who had started thier trek  from Poland and were obviously going to to Glasgow .

Good people but they did have a problem understanding anything I said (wait until they encounter weegies)

Anyway that's today's irrelevant  story 😀

It's just nuts IMO. A complete waste of money ( which could be used to help the environment ), all the upheaval, security issues ect. Why not have the conference over Zoom or some other media.....maybe I'm Being to simplistic but the whole thing is a farce. Thank goodness I don't live in and around Glasgow at this time.

Just seeing some more reports of that filthy lot "insulate Britain" causing issues down south, so are they planning to show face around this cop26 to cause even more disruption?

Салатные палочки
On 17/10/2021 at 17:24, 1971fozzy said:

Apparently On Thursday, it was announced all rail staff will strike from 00:01 on Monday 1 November until 23:59 on Friday 12 November.

This will affect anyone wishing to travel to Tynecastle by train for Dundee Utd game on 6th November 

Can't see that going ahead. They'll resolve it before Friday. 

On 14/10/2021 at 13:55, Darren said:

You can choose to rent it out if you wish. A friend's neighbours in the New Gorbals are renting out their two-bedroom flat for a fortnight - for £17,000!

I like this. 😎

On 18/10/2021 at 20:23, Beni said:

Good news for anyone who has Greta Thunberg singing Rick Astley on their 2021 bingo card. 

Oh God love her...acting her age and enjoying herself although culturally 34 years out of date now 

manaliveits105

Nippoleon still trying to be relevant at COP26 I see 

Nicola Sturgeon has called for "credible action, not face-saving slogans" to come from next week's COP26 summit in Glasgow.

The talks have been billed as the "last best chance" to limit the rise in the earth's temperature to 1.5C.

In a speech ahead of the conference, the first minister said concrete action is needed to "keep 1.5 alive".

The UK government said the first minister would play an "important role" at COP26.

It has insisted the summit must "stick with the goal" of limiting temperature rises to 1.5C.

Ms Sturgeon said the conference can lead the world into a "green revolution" and that Scotland can act as a bridge between large and small nations.

And she said her government would set out details later this week about how it would "catch up" with its own emissions reduction targets, having "fallen short" of its last three annual milestones.:greggy:

She said: "Governments at all levels have a responsibility and Scotland is determined to play our full part.

In her speech to an audience of young people and students in Glasgow, the first minister called for a "significant uplift in ambition" from world leaders - particularly those of the "biggest emitting countries" - to act to limit global temperature increases and deliver a fair financial package for developing countries.

She said: "We take seriously the responsibility of all governments - at all levels - to show ambition, and to galvanise action. If we do that, we can all contribute towards a successful summit.

"I have said that small countries can lead the way in this, and they can, but in the coming days, it is the countries which emit the most, who most need to step up. They need to make ambitious pledges to achieve net zero. And those pledges must be backed by credible actions."

"The idea of 'keeping 1.5 alive', cannot simply be a face-saving slogan. It must be real. And there must be progress in Glasgow which makes that outcome more likely."

Ms Sturgeon also encouraged national governments to match the ambition of cities, regions and state governments, and she said her government would "help those around the negotiating table to hear from activists in the developed world and from the global South".

"Our ability to do that depends on our own climate credibility - Scotland cannot urge other countries to set and meet ambitious targets if we fail to do that ourselves."

Scotlands ain Greta so she is definettly