Potential month shutdown next season

Clerry Jambo

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Why would the Scottish leagues need to close down for a world cup? We will not qualify so the league should continue. 

Closing down for a month will play havoc with fixtures once winter bites after the new year.

It is all about TV money to ensure that fans tune in to magnificent games such as Bulgaria vs Papua New Guinea...

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Start playing football in the summer. Stupid playing in the winter.

This.

December and February is bloody miserable. Freezing, wet, windy, most pitches are awful, football sometimes looks like a war of attrition instead of the beautiful game.

Summer football. Yes its often windy and rainy in the summer but at least you don't have to dress up in hill climbing gear!

What's wrong with people? Scared to change in case you might enjoy it?

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

This.

December and February is bloody miserable. Freezing, wet, windy, most pitches are awful, football sometimes looks like a war of attrition instead of the beautiful game.

Summer football. Yes its often windy and rainy in the summer but at least you don't have to dress up in hill climbing gear!

What's wrong with people? Scared to change in case you might enjoy it?

As already said though, the close season these days is no more than a month or so. We play football most of the summer, be it domestic cup( LC ) or Euro qualifiers. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Why would the Scottish leagues need to close down for a world cup? We will not qualify so the league should continue. 

Closing down for a month will play havoc with fixtures once winter bites after the new year.

Because the uglies will have players away, everything revolves around them 🤦🏽

17 minutes ago, Boab said:

As already said though, the close season these days is no more than a month or so. We play football most of the summer, be it domestic cup( LC ) or Euro qualifiers. 

Just close for the six or seven weeks from January through February. That’s when the worst of the weather is. The domestic cups can get shuffled round to start at the beginning of March with the leagues shortly after that. 

Edited by GinRummy

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Just close for the six or seven weeks from January through February. That’s when the worst of the weather is. The domestic cups can get shuffled round to start at the beginning of March with the leagues shortly after that. 

It’s already going to shut down for three weeks in January. Which I disagree with, for the record. Between that and International breaks, it only shunts more games to midweek, inconveniencing many supporters.

Hagar the Horrible

Take the chance to test switching to a summer league, it could be a license to print money playing over the summer, with a 2 week break for the Trades.  It would be the only sport worth watching on the telly.

The only down side is Doncatser would get us a crap deal

1 minute ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Take the chance to test switching to a summer league, it could be a license to print money playing over the summer, with a 2 week break for the Trades.  It would be the only sport worth watching on the telly.

With him involved we'd probably get the worst summers on record.

And it would be that sleekit, Celtic back pocket residing, fecker's fault.

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

There you go again, trolling as usual, you actually remind me of an old poster called Beats who was banned permanently for trolling consistently, I'm guessing the rules have changed these days? Not once have I blocked a poster on here, but you're very close as you're actually insufferable, I genuinely don't know how you get away with so much. It's really not a difficult point I was making, and I wasn't comparing it to the WC, but then you knew that.... 

It's a valid point for another discussion ( about the various continental tournaments and their impact of their  scheduling on European leagues ), but the answer to why European  Leagues will stop for the World cup but they currently do not stop for the African competition is right there in front of you. It's right there- It really is.

You are hardly a clean poster yourself, very quick to fire off insults and such so you can away and sit in the comer with your preaching pish.

Trolling is a banning offence, so is calling folk a prick so folk in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.👍

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a valid point for another discussion ( about the various continental tournaments and their impact of their  scheduling on European leagues ), but the answer to why European  Leagues will stop for the World cup but they currently do not stop for the African competition is right there in front of you. It's right there- It really is.

You are hardly a clean poster yourself, very quick to fire off insults and such so you can away and sit in the comer with your preaching pish.

Trolling is a banning offence, so is calling folk a prick so folk in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.👍

Bore off son... 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Yip, big opportunity there.

It would also help sides prepare better for their  Euro qualifiers and you could lose some of the mid week games further on so the break over the winter does not need to be increased. 

It's a pretty obvious move for me tbh.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, big opportunity there.

It would also help sides prepare better for their  Euro qualifiers and you could lose some of the mid week games further on so the break over the winter does not need to be increased. 

It's a pretty obvious move for me tbh.

That doesn’t make sense, Tosh.

We already play all year round apart from June and three weeks in January. 
If we played all of June, there would still be as many midweek games, even with, say, a month off in Jan. 

1 hour ago, Boab said:

It’s already going to shut down for three weeks in January. Which I disagree with, for the record. Between that and International breaks, it only shunts more games to midweek, inconveniencing many supporters.

Well no. Start the season in March finish it in December. Why would there be more midweeks. The season starts in august and finishes in may now, with a winter shut down and midweek fixtures because of weather postponements. 

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Well no. Start the season in March finish it in December. Why would there be more midweeks. The season starts in august and finishes in may now, with a winter shut down and midweek fixtures because of weather postponements. 

No, half the midweek games now are because of International weekends. Which is what the thread is about really, not weather.

Take the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign. Starts in March 2023 and runs till March 2024. 
There would be as many midweeks to accommodate those games.

Then you need to factor in the possibility, slim maybe, of a Scottish team progressing in Europe after the New year and playing those games during our shutdown ?

Sorry, doesn’t add up to me.

Also the season starts early July, not August. 

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

No, half the midweek games now are because of International weekends. Which is what the thread is about really, not weather.

Take the Euro 2024 qualifying campaign. Starts in March 2023 and runs till March 2024. 

Then you need to factor in the possibility, slim maybe, of a Scottish team progressing in Europe after the New year and playing those games during our shutdown ?

My comment which you replied to wasn’t about international weekends it was about the weather. By your own workings out we play football most of the year anyway so the only difference is we get to play more of it in better weather. I think playing sport in better weather, fewer cancellations because of weather and encourage more fans to attend shouldn’t just be dismissed. If there would be ‘as many’ midweeks now as with a season not including January or February it stands to reason there would be even more under the current set up because every season there are games cancelled because of poor weather. 

Edited by GinRummy

13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

My comment which you replied to wasn’t about international weekends it was about the weather. By your own workings out we play football most of the year anyway so the only difference is we get to play more of it in better weather. I think playing sport in better weather, fewer cancellations because of weather and encourage more fans to attend shouldn’t just be dismissed. If there would be ‘as many’ midweeks now as with a season not including January or February it stands to reason there would be even more under the current set up because every season there are games cancelled because of poor weather. 

I hear what you’re saying re. the weather. If we were to shut down Jan and Feb then things like the SC would need to be re-structured to suit. 
Doable, yes, but can we predict a decent December when the competitions would be at their finale ?

Anyway, I’ve ranted enough. Playing Internationals midweek never harmed anyone in the past and would mean more Saturdays for domestic competition.

👍

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Boab said:

There wouldn't be more tho, could also have the midweek games early  in the summer  time  as opposed to winter months so it's nicer, warmer, safer to travel and again more opportunities for TV as the fan boy league is shut down. 

Makes perfect sense to me and to several other leagues that do this. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I'm not as opposed to summer football as I used to be but with your proposal we would need to have a summer shutdown every 2 years for the World Cup/Euros, which would presumably necessitate more midweek matches.

3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

This could be the best compromise. Would stop us going into crucial Europa League qualifiers having only played a couple of friendlies against Forfar and the like.

Defo. We should start our league on the 1st of July and end in May. Our worst months are January and February. As you say, it would probably help our sides in Euro Qualifiers as they'd be match sharp and ready. 

2 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I'm not as opposed to summer football as I used to be but with your proposal we would need to have a summer shutdown every 2 years for the World Cup/Euros, which would presumably necessitate more midweek matches.

Precisely.

There would be more.

Even the qualifying for the next Euros have two June dates at weekends.

8 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I never really thought about that tbh. If I’m putting my cards on the table, by far the biggest factor for me personally, is the cold weather. It may sound daft but I’m sure I’m not alone. Sitting on a plastic seat in the middle of February is just stupid if an alternative can be found. Not really sure how I sidetracked it onto midweeks. Middle of June, glorious summer Wednesday night sounds good to me. 

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I never really thought about that tbh. If I’m putting my cards on the table, by far the biggest factor for me personally, is the cold weather. It may sound daft but I’m sure I’m not alone. Sitting on a plastic seat in the middle of February is just stupid if an alternative can be found. Not really sure how I sidetracked it onto midweeks. Middle of June, glorious summer Wednesday night sounds good to me. 

All fair 

For me it's getting the league up and running earlier so our clubs are match ready in Europe, also the chance to have 4/5 weeks on TV without the fan boy league in operation would only be good for interest.

The euros and wc's may cause a problem but lots of other leagues manage so it's not as if we  need to think too much, just copy what another country does.

We don't do that well tho, we always try to reinvent the well, over complicate things and generally make an arse of it.

Part time teams will probably moan due to school holidays or some shite and **** it anyway.

Edited by Smith's right boot

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair 

For me it's getting the league up and running earlier so our clubs are match ready in Europe, also the chance to have 4/5 weeks on TV without the fan boy league in operation would only be good for interest.

The euros and wc's may cause a problem but lots of other leagues manage so it's not as if we  need to think too much, just copy what another country does.

We don't do that well tho, we always try to reinvent the well, over complicate things and generally make an arse of it.

Part time teams will probably moan due to school holidays or some shite and **** it anyway.

You hit on one of the most baffling things there. The reluctance to change. Regardless, if it’s league reconstruction, summer football, spl tv or whatever. There is a determination in our game to cling tightly to what we have. 

Naisys Tackle
8 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Start playing football in the summer. Stupid playing in the winter.

This.

It should be the platform needed to change the football dates.  Starting earlier gives clubs better chances in Europe tae. 

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You hit on one of the most baffling things there. The reluctance to change. Regardless, if it’s league reconstruction, summer football, spl tv or whatever. There is a determination in our game to cling tightly to what we have. 

Yip. 

Strange. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair 

Class post Smithy. 

bringonthesevco

The break could work in our favour , we’ll have played a lot of games - remember we’ve got Champions League games to add into the schedule for next season 😉