Potential month shutdown next season

Clerry Jambo

Carl Fredrickson

Why would the Scottish leagues need to close down for a world cup? We will not qualify so the league should continue. 

Closing down for a month will play havoc with fixtures once winter bites after the new year.

August Landmesser

Scotland won't be qualifying, so let us play on.

Although, it might affect our squad a lot with the amount of World Cup Stars lured to the club by the prospect of Champions League medals!

Absolute nonsense. In reality, out of the entire league how many players will be at the world cup? 7 or 8 at the absolute most. Shambles.

Could it be so that the higher echelons of the SPFL and SFA can get their all expenses trips to the world cup, of course it would be in the interests of progressing Scottish Football :vrface:

Malinga the Swinga

On the positive side, players will get break from champions League group games as well as their league games.

They will be rested for last 16 knock out games

I'm sure FIFA will dictate no top league football during the World Cup.

So whether we qualify or not is probably irrelevant. More than likely has to be done.

I don't see any reference to the rationale for doing this (although it is a BBC article)

will the EPL also shut down for a month? 

The Old Tolbooth

The only clubs this will affect is the Old Firm, and it just wouldn't be right if we inconvenienced them in any way now would it :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, H2 said:

Could it be so that the higher echelons of the SPFL and SFA can get their all expenses trips to the world cup, of course it would be in the interests of progressing Scottish Football :vrface:

"Fact finding mission" was the traditional description.

Probably called something unfathomable and ludicrously pompous nowadays.

Berra than you

Folk won't be so against this if Scotland do qualify. 2 months without Craig Gordon?? No thanks. 

Stupid decision in the first place for FIFA to host it there and at that time of year mind. Folk wanting summer football, whilst it makes sense for a county like ours to do weather wise, it will never happen due to transfer windows.

Das Viertel Hearts
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Start playing football in the summer. Stupid playing in the winter.

Big crowds... outdoor life ... fresh air...commercially a winner.  No brainer.

Harry Potter
47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No chance of Scotland qualifying, and better to have a shutdown in January or February when the weather is shit.

Always find February the coldest month.  shutdown then.

A_A wehatethehibs

I don’t see why we should be changing our season based on a decision that’s been made with no consultation to clubs, based entirely on bribery and corruption at FIFA. 

Continue with the league while the fraudulently awarded World Cup is on.

I hope the top European leagues do the same. Fair enough, the top international boys will be away with national teams but the show goes on and 11s will get out out and fans will get to see their clubs as usual, the fixture list gets fulfilled as usual. 

Even if Scotland qualify, we’ll all still watch the Scotland games, theres only about 5 SPL players in the squad anyway. 

Ainsley Harriott
52 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Joke decision by fifa to host it there in the first place. 

Utter farce. 

They awarded it then realised afterwards that part of the world is very hot in summer. Clearly some nice bribes 

I disagree. Plenty of other stuff to be doing on a summer Saturday afternoon. Imagine two-three months of the Scottish winter with not even the football to keep you entertained!

Bazzas right boot

With the European start dates for our clubs it would make sense. 

We'd also have an opportunity of more TV games as sky doesn't have the English league to frap themselves over. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Craig_ said:

I disagree. Plenty of other stuff to be doing on a summer Saturday afternoon. Imagine two-three months of the Scottish winter with not even the football to keep you entertained!

Yep. I like the idea of summer football in theory but this payoff is too much. Footballs the thing that makes winter bearable at times, especially in the build up to a certain game which should always be played on New Year’s Day not any other day. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

They awarded it then realised afterwards that part of the world is very hot in summer. Clearly some nice bribes 

Aye, the heat in June suprised them. 

Absolute farce. 

It's like hosting it on the moon then after agreeing it realising there's no atmosphere to breathe in. 

Mere details.... 

5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

If it's too cold I just don't bother going tbh. Will be even more tempting this winter with being able to stream on ST.

26 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I don't see any reference to the rationale for doing this (although it is a BBC article)

Edited by Mikey1874

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

If it's too cold I just don't bother going tbh. Will be even more tempting this winter with being able to stream on ST.

Aye , easy to get some beers in and book the ppv, 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

With the European start dates for our clubs it would make sense. 

We'd also have an opportunity of more TV games as sky doesn't have the English league to frap themselves over. 

Good point about tv. I'd love them to change it tbh.

It’s as corrupt as the day is long.

A way of looking at it, however, is it’s like two International breaks put together. A pain in the arse but that’s what is is. 
Of course, it makes a mockery of domestic leagues. A team could come out flying at the start of next season then have to abruptly stop for a month. Bad enough right now. Would have preferred to be going to Ibrox this Saturday but the powers that be, in cahoots with their sponsors, have scuppered that.

The World Cup has been a football tourist’s game for years now. A shadow of what it was. 

I quite like the novelty of a winter world cup.  I don't think the SFA would have much say in the matter tbh. Secondly, we share a similar climate to Denmark who start their season in June or July then play up until Christmas or New Year before going on a Winter Break and  finishing their season in May, as we do. Having summer football would not have avoided a fixture clash with this world cup. Although I do agree we should begin our season much earlier than we currently do. 

Edited by Cruyff

Wait till there is a World Cup every 2 years.

That proposal has qualifiers being played over a whole month eg October with leagues shutting down then too.

The Old Tolbooth

You don't see leagues shutting down when the African Cup of Nations is on, they just get on with it,  just saying... 

John Findlay

Despite numerous footballers earning fortunes nowadays, they are still human beings. They are not automons, the more you make them play the more they will get injured and turn stale. They do need downtime too.

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I agree with this.  We need football through the winter to keep us entertained, there's plenty of other stuff to due during the summer 🏏

Thinking about it, football already finishes in about the 3rd week of May and starts back up in July.  So we already have summer football, with only a short break in late May and June.

Yip, for countries like us, it’s only a short break. UEFA have done a number on us regarding Euro competitions. Big countries go right into groups, starting in Sept, with four teams right into groups, which is a disgrace in itself, while other teams, who have won their leagues, have to play numerous games just to have an outside chance of playing against the big guns.

It’s a racket, plain and simple. 
Hope this Qatar debacle is a disaster. 

49 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wuss! 😕

The issue is not the break, or even the corruption involved in awarding this WC. The real issue is the number of people who died building the stadiums and infra structure. It should be taken away from them for that disgraceful example of modern day slavery. Fucj FIFA...

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The issue is not the break, or even the corruption involved in awarding this WC. The real issue is the number of people who died building the stadiums and infra structure. It should be taken away from them for that disgraceful example of modern day slavery. Fucj FIFA...

Hypocrisy is staggering !

Hardly a surprise, the South American countries have had to do this for decades with their leagues - usually they have an opening (apertura) and closing league (clausura) with one game against everyone in each part. That helps them work around any international competition. It also allows a play-off style of the two winners for the overall championship.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

Of course it will, most of their clubs will have at least a couple of players at it, and the bigger clubs will probably have about half their squads at it!

FarmerTweedy
32 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

You don't see leagues shutting down when the African Cup of Nations is on, they just get on with it,  just saying... 

Hardly the same thing, is it?

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Hardly the same thing, is it?

Not far off, African players make up the nucleus of quite a few sides and are missing for 2 months to play at Afcon, there's 24 teams participate, the upcoming World Cup will have 32 teams which isn't that many more players, but will be diluted because it's all over the planet. 

Take Liverpool as an example, they'll lose Salah, Mane, and Keita for Afcon which could easily put an end to their chances of winning the league, but none of these nations might qualify for the World Cup, City and Chelsea will be heavily affected also as I'm sure many more clubs throughout Europe will be. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I quite like the novelty of a winter world cup.  I don't think the SFA would have much say in the matter tbh. Secondly, we share a similar climate to Denmark who start their season in June or July then play up until Christmas or New Year before going on a Winter Break and  finishing their season in May, as we do. Having summer football would not have avoided a fixture clash with this world cup. Although I do agree we should begin our season much earlier than we currently do. 

This could be the best compromise. Would stop us going into crucial Europa League qualifiers having only played a couple of friendlies against Forfar and the like.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

World Cup..... 

The clue is right there 🙃

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Not far off, African players make up the nucleus of quite a few sides and are missing for 2 months to play at Afcon, there's 24 teams participate, the upcoming World Cup will have 32 teams which isn't that many more players, but will be diluted because it's all over the planet. 

Take Liverpool as an example, they'll lose Salah, Mane, and Keita for Afcon which could easily put an end to their chances of winning the league, but none of these nations might qualify for the World Cup, City and Chelsea will be heavily affected also as I'm sure many more clubs throughout Europe will be. 

You being serious? 

A club can sign players not from Africa, clubs know the risks of they do tho. 

You can't sign players not from the world.