Jimmy Greaves & Henry Smith segment - On The Ball - 1983

Skippy Doodle

Салатные палочки

:laugh: brilliant.

How do you keep hold of a clip for so many years? 

Skippy Doodle
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

:laugh: brilliant.

How do you keep hold of a clip for so many years? 

just been converted over from VHS earlier today - part of a collection that a fellow Jambo had

Henry used to have a few jars and play pool every Sunday afternoon in the Forrester’s rugby club. As a young boy I used to stand and watch him with awe. I’d be watching him on the Saturday at Tynecastle and then here he was standing just a few metres away playing pool. I reckon I’d still stand and watch him with awe these days. One of my favourite goalkeepers of all time as he was of my era.

For the record I even admired John Brough before him.  Think I must’ve been a frustrated goalkeeper 

1 minute ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Henry used to have a few jars and play pool every Sunday afternoon in the Forrester’s rugby club. As a young boy I used to stand and watch him with awe. I’d be watching him on the Saturday at Tynecastle and then here he was standing just a few metres away playing pool. I reckon I’d still stand and watch him with awe these days. One of my favourite goalkeepers of all time as he was of my era.

For the record I even admired John Brough before him.  Think I must’ve been a frustrated goalkeeper 

was talking to Broughie today 

Remember it well.

Mentioned it a few times on JKB and it was great to see it again after all these years. 

Loved Henry.

7 hours ago, cookieboy said:

was talking to Broughie today 

He used to train our amateur team as his brother in law was the captain. Then we’d all go out for a beer afterwards. 

Spoke to him in the Gorgie suite about two years ago. Wouldn’t have recognised him if I’d walked past him on the street as he’s changed so much since his playing days.  Now working as a janitor at George Heriots school. 

9 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I played cricket against Henry for Forrester Rugby Club a few times in a pub league, he played for sandy bells or illicit still, can never remember which.

12 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

What's the chat here, is it Greaves jokingly doubting Smith is Scottish because he was so good? 

Yip. 

The White Cockade

Henry Henry give us a wave

Henry give us a wave

Probably the biggest character in my 50 years watching Hearts

and a brilliant goalkeeper

2 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

What's the chat here, is it Greaves jokingly doubting Smith is Scottish because he was so good? 

That was part of the banter. 

Greavsie used to joke about Scottish goalkeepers being hopeless. 

Fxxx the SPFL
34 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Henry Henry give us a wave

Henry give us a wave

Probably the biggest character in my 50 years watching Hearts

and a brilliant goalkeeper

or as opposition fans used to shout Henry Henry drop the ball think that came about after the semi final against the smellies at Hampdump when we were leading one nil with about ten minutes to go and McGhee scored two when Henry did drop the ball but he could have been barged if my memory is correct. Did McPherson not score from about forty yards a big lob that bounced over pakkie bonner

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

40 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

or as opposition fans used to shout Henry Henry drop the ball think that came about after the semi final against the smellies at Hampdump when we were leading one nil with about ten minutes to go and McGhee scored two when Henry did drop the ball but he could have been barged if my memory is correct. Did McPherson not score from about forty yards a big lob that bounced over pakkie bonner

That was a crushing defeat that day. 

The Wrinkly Ninja
44 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Wrong perm..

It was Whittaker.

been here before
3 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

My recollection is that Greaves doubted his Scottish credentials as he was good and had what Greaves considered to be an 'English' name.

Skippy Doodle
23 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Was it really 1983? I only ask as I had it in my head it was a couple of years later.

Yeah we had drawn at Parkhead 1-1 the week before. Think Henry saved a penalty

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Skippy Doodle said:

Yeah we had drawn at Parkhead 1-1 the week before. Think Henry saved a penalty

I think I may have been down the Falklands at the time.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Wrong perm..

It was Whittaker.

Whittaker so it was think the wind caught it.

Naisys Tackle
18 hours ago, cookieboy said:

Henry winked at me last Saturday when he came out the Gorgie Suite after half time as i belted out Henry Henry Henry Henry 

Super Henry.  My first Hearts hero. 

John Findlay
4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

He dropped the one that lead to the equaliser. The winner McGee elbowed him as,clear as day in the face, but as it was a,weedgie team in the Weedge he got away with it. Was a blatant foul.

Fxxx the SPFL
24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He dropped the one that lead to the equaliser. The winner McGee elbowed him as,clear as day in the face, but as it was a,weedgie team in the Weedge he got away with it. Was a blatant foul.

Yep John remember it now

5 hours ago, luckydug said:

That was part of the banter. 

Greavsie used to joke about Scottish goalkeepers being hopeless. 

But always managed to do it in a way that didn’t cause offence.  Loved Greavsie, he was a gem.  

38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I remember thinking ‘at least we got a replay’ after the equaliser. 🤔

Remnants of Standards

Remember thinking Hearts were back on the map if national TV was giving us airtime at the time. As an aside, my life hit a peak around then after Jimmy Greaves (or some ghostwriter) announced me as the 10 quid winner in Shoot magazine for Letter of the Week.  Think i was moaning about the amount of live football on TV in the mid-80s and how it would damage the game ultimately. How very prescient of my teenage self.

FERRY HEARTS

Henry drinks in my local boozer occasionally! Quiet guy who likes a wee punt on the puggy! Fond memories watching him in 80s apart from a penalty miss from him in a Cup tie at Dens  ( better keeper than striker 

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Was it really 1983? I only ask as I had it in my head it was a couple of years later.

I think 88. Wrongly!

Edited by Riccarton3

2 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Henry drinks in my local boozer occasionally! Quiet guy who likes a wee punt on the puggy! Fond memories watching him in 80s apart from a penalty miss from him in a Cup tie at Dens  ( better keeper than striker 

Was that not his last game for Hearts? He hit that pen like he was playing in his slippers. 😕

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Was that not his last game for Hearts? He hit that pen like he was playing in his slippers. 😕

Last competitive game. 1995.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I remember thinking ‘at least we got a replay’ after the equaliser. 🤔

That was the worst I felt after a game since Dens in 86.

FERRY HEARTS
21 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

No sure Dave but had a gut feeling when he strutted up ( the trophy wasn’t going to be ours !   Not sure if whole team had taken and it was down to keepers ?   Remember our support being peeved off 

FERRY HEARTS

Remember scoring a hatrick of pens against him in the local Gala day beat the keeper ! Thinking now I should have wound him up about that Dens miss😁 Great servant to club 🇱🇻

16 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

No sure Dave but had a gut feeling when he strutted up ( the trophy wasn’t going to be ours !   Not sure if whole team had taken and it was down to keepers ?   Remember our support being peeved off 

Can’t remember. It was a long drive home though. 😕

FERRY HEARTS
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Can’t remember. It was a long drive home though. 😕

Has been a few times from that shitehole 😬🥲

Bazzas right boot
50 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Nah, he saved the previous one then went all radge and thought he could hit the winner, iirc, he picked the ball up to hit the next one, surreal. 

Hit the moon then we got knocked out. 

The lc is just full of horror stories Tbh. 

That was about the same time as a 2-4  St Johnstone ( 2 nil up) and a 0-1 Falkirk, Eddie may last minute goal. 

Horrendous stuff in the lc as per. 

I was at all them, at least the Dundee game was a cracker. 

Iirc Dundee had a couple of decent players and weren't bad. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I might be misremembering this, but I don’t think he even took a proper run up for the penalty?

2 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

But always managed to do it in a way that didn’t cause offence.  Loved Greavsie, he was a gem.  

Greavsie totally got rivalry. A bit of piss taking but nothing too serious, and take it in the same spirit as you dish it out. Like you, I loved him. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I might be misremembering this, but I don’t think he even took a proper run up for the penalty?

Nah, he saved theirs, got all excited then ****ed up ours. 

He must have been on the bingo that night. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
32 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Found it. 22 seconds in… 

Love Henry anyway, of course!