Pandora Papers leak!

hearts151

22 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that’s not how taxes work.

Jeez, now some might think you speak absolute nonsense!

I am very clued up on how taxes 'work' laddie.  

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

😂😂😂

No worries “laddie”.

Edited by Tynieman

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Is your real name Ralph Garnett? 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Like the many that contribute **** all financially to society and take so much?  You are damn ****ing straight I have a problem with that.  

I assume in your blinkered little mind you don't think people at the bottom take the piss too?

I'm sick of it all tbh, the parasitical wasters at the bottom and the fraudulent leeches at the very top.

Every day all I hear about are prices going up, bills being raised, billionaires getting special treatment and no good scoundrels at the bottom living off our hard work.

I just seem to constantly be funding ‘causes’ I have no wish to fund.  From paying well over my share for the environment, a scam global hoax, refugees, tax dodging billionaires, an education system that is based more on woke indoctrination and propaganda than teaching free thought and fact, a police system that is failing and a ****ing health service I’m advised that instead of it protecting me I am to protect it.

How odd that you appear to have placed yourself in the morally upright category, with everyone else in the "utter scum" category. :laugh: 

The UK has one of the mist complex tax systems in the world.

And that's totally be design, so they those that can afford to take advantage of the various exemptions and loopholes can do so legally.

If every loophole was closed and if all the various subsidies were stopped and if the system was simplified then everybody would be forced to pay their dues.

This would actually mean LOWER taxes for everyone, as untold billions would not be evaporating offshore.

The folk in the middle get squeezed for every penny because the rich refuse to pay anything.

Then the rich tell you to blame the poor.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

And that's totally be design, so they those that can afford to take advantage of the various exemptions and loopholes can do so legally.

If every loophole was closed and if all the various subsidies were stopped and if the system was simplified then everybody would be forced to pay their dues.

This would actually mean LOWER taxes for everyone, as untold billions would not be evaporating offshore.

The folk in the middle get squeezed for every penny because the rich refuse to pay anything.

Then the rich tell you to blame the poor.

I'm certainly not defending the 1% as indeed they do not pay what they should but it would be amiss to suggest they refuse to pay anything or contribute anything.

The elite rich in the United Kingdom account for over 25% of all tax revenue in the country.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Actually it doesn't. Now France, Italy and Belgium they apparently do. 

6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm certainly not defending the 1% as indeed they do not pay what they should but it would be amiss to suggest they refuse to pay anything or contribute anything.

The elite rich in the United Kingdom account for over 25% of all tax revenue in the country.

Sorry mate but considering the richest 1% of the UK own nearly a quarter of all household wealth then accounting for only 25% of the tax revenue is pathetic.

That doesn’t even touch the surface of what they truly earn either. If they paid what they were meant to be paying this country would be minted.  

Edited by AlimOzturk

28 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sorry mate but considering the richest 1% of the UK own nearly a quarter of all household wealth then accounting for only 25% of the tax revenue is pathetic.

That doesn’t even touch the surface of what they truly earn either. If they paid what they were meant to be paying this country would be minted.  

I agree AO. They don't pay nearly enough. I was just saying they do contribute, albeit nowhere near the figure it should be.

Edited by i8hibsh

I have to be balanced though. You have the leeches at the very top taking the piss but you also have so many people at the bottom taking the piss. To me there is not much difference. I'm obviously excluding those at the bottom who have been dealt the toughest of hands but there are many people at the bottom who are literally living a free life at our expense. At least the ***** at the top throw a few coins in the hat.

Savage Vince
10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Like the many that contribute **** all financially to society and take so much?  You are damn ****ing straight I have a problem with that.  

I assume in your blinkered little mind you don't think people at the bottom take the piss too?

I'm sick of it all tbh, the parasitical wasters at the bottom and the fraudulent leeches at the very top.

Every day all I hear about are prices going up, bills being raised, billionaires getting special treatment and no good scoundrels at the bottom living off our hard work.

I just seem to constantly be funding ‘causes’ I have no wish to fund.  From paying well over my share for the environment, a scam global hoax, refugees, tax dodging billionaires, an education system that is based more on woke indoctrination and propaganda than teaching free thought and fact, a police system that is failing and a ****ing health service I’m advised that instead of it protecting me I am to protect it.

Nurse! 

Regards the property tax dodges my mother was an estate agent and still has contacts in it, it's rife that foreigners (Mainly Chinese apparently) buy houses (new builds in particular) with suitcases of cash in and around Edinburgh. The conveyancing lawyer is supposed to verify the legality regards money laundering and tax evasion etc but it's wide open to abuse. Don't expect the SNP to do anything about it anytime soon.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Regards the property tax dodges my mother was an estate agent and still has contacts in it, it's rife that foreigners (Mainly Chinese apparently) buy houses (new builds in particularwith suitcases of cash in and around Edinburgh. The conveyancing lawyer is supposed to verify the legality regards money laundering and tax evasion etc but it's wide open to abuse. Don't expect the SNP to do anything about it anytime soon.

:rofl:

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Savage Vince
On 03/10/2021 at 20:54, jonesy said:

We can but dream. There isn't a vaguely electable politician in the land who would go down such a route, sadly.

Patrick Harvie wouldn't. ♥️

I forgot to add they sell these properties relatively quickly with the money going straight into the system all cleaned up. So turn up at the estate agent with a suitcase of cash (400-500k) and six months later that money is in a bank account and property sold for profit. This is part of why young people can't afford a 1 bedroom flat in Edinburgh.

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

I forgot to add they sell these properties relatively quickly with the money going straight into the system all cleaned up. So turn up at the estate agent with a suitcase of cash (400-500k) and six months later that money is in a bank account and property sold for profit. This is part of why young people can't afford a 1 bedroom flat in Edinburgh.

Have you ever tried depositing a large quantity of cash in a bank? It isn’t easy and many questions are asked about where it came from etc. and I’m talking about £5k not £500k. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Have you ever tried depositing a large quantity of cash in a bank? It isn’t easy and many questions are asked about where it came from etc. and I’m talking about £5k not £500k. 

But in these instances It's going in via a solicitor that says all tickety boo. It's supposedly already been screened for criminal proceeds and its source and imo it hasn't been. This is just what I've heard from my ex state agent mother who still meets colleagues in the trade. Houses are being bought with suitcases of cash in Edinburgh and being sold on within six months of purchase. It is not illegal if the solicitors involved don't red flag it. 

Edited by JackLadd

On 03/10/2021 at 20:29, Footballfirst said:

It must be possible to avoid some of the abuses by offshore companies.

Create a law that requires all UK properties to be "owned" by a UK resident, or a UK based company, i.e. no offshore ownership. If a foreign national or company wishes to own property in the UK, then they need to set up a UK company or subsidiary to own the property.

Similarly with multinational companies, they should be required to create a UK subsidiary, through which all their income and expenditure incurred by its UK operations must be channeled.

I would vote for that (unless it was a tory policy, they can sook ma boaby)

8 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Still not enough!

They hide that much of it that we (the working plebs) shouldnt pay any tax on about the first £25K of our salaries if they paid their proper share! But no, because of them, there’s phrases like “the working poor” and “donate here for your local foodbank”. 

Oh look, theres a 180foot superyacht. Isnt it lovely!

Footballfirst

Tax avoidance/evasion on an industrial scale probably started in the 1970s, when there was a top rate of 83% and an investment income surcharge of 15% making the marginal rate 98%.

At that point there was a huge desire to avoid taxes, as for every £1 you hid from the taxman you were saving yourself 98p.

Thatcher came in and reduced the top rates, making the benefit of avoiding tax less of a benefit, meaning that people weren't quite as inclined to avoid paying tax.  However, Thatcher's policies created the divisions of an elite and an underclass making it acceptable for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Roll forward another 20 years and the elite wasn't prepared to even accept moderate taxation, but embarked on avoidance of tax by exploiting every loophole, in many cases aided and abetted by the tax havens which offered secrecy along with low tax. 

Modern governments are now puppets of the elite and have no desire to close the loopholes as it is the same elite and global companies that drive policy, to their own personal benefit and the detriment of any fair or caring society. 

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Still not enough!

They hide that much of it that we (the working plebs) shouldnt pay any tax on about the first £25K of our salaries if they paid their proper share! But no, because of them, there’s phrases like “the working poor” and “donate here for your local foodbank”. 

Oh look, theres a 180foot superyacht. Isnt it lovely!

I'm on the side of the little guy and as I have said the 1% don't pay enough but as for superyachts and foodbanks sometimes people deserve to be super rich and sometimes people deserve to be poor. By this I mean some people through hard work, genius talent and drive deserve a superyacht and some people through the absolute opposite of this deserve to have **** all. Not all super rich and poor stories are down to greed, government and injustice. 

Do you disagree with people being able to have superyachts? Do you think Ronaldo and Loic Damour should drive the same Peugeot? My position is Ronaldo deserves every penny he gets - he should just pay more tax than Loic Damour.

I will also say that tax rates are about where I'd like them in this country, kinda fair for all, my major issue is the super wealthy sending their money offshore into comfortable and convenient tax havens. The money should stay here, on this island. I also have a major issues with your Starbucks, Amazons etc going through hoops and assault courses everyday just to side swipe tax and constantly have the magnifying glass out looking for all available loopholes. Your employees pay their shit, you do the same!

Put an end to the loopholes! It is tax, you are not exempt. Pay it, shut the **** up, be decent and crack on. No one likes it I am sure, I pay what I should and these ***** should do the same.

8 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Tax avoidance/evasion on an industrial scale probably started in the 1970s, when there was a top rate of 83% and an investment income surcharge of 15% making the marginal rate 98%.

At that point there was a huge desire to avoid taxes, as for every £1 you hid from the taxman you were saving yourself 98p.

Thatcher came in and reduced the top rates, making the benefit of avoiding tax less of a benefit, meaning that people weren't quite as inclined to avoid paying tax.  However, Thatcher's policies created the divisions of an elite and an underclass making it acceptable for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Roll forward another 20 years and the elite wasn't prepared to even accept moderate taxation, but embarked on avoidance of tax by exploiting every loophole, in many cases aided and abetted by the tax havens which offered secrecy along with low tax. 

Modern governments are now puppets of the elite and have no desire to close the loopholes as it is the same elite and global companies that drive policy, to their own personal benefit and the detriment of any fair or caring society. 

Well said.

The last paragraph especially so.

When the society is seen to be uncaring and unfair, some will consider why they need to follow rules.

Loopholes which make no sense.

It’s a slippery slope !

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I will also say that tax rates are about where I'd like them in this country, kinda fair for all, my major issue is the super wealthy sending their money offshore into comfortable and convenient tax havens. The money should stay here, on this island. I also have a major issues with your Starbucks, Amazons etc going through hoops and assault courses everyday just to side swipe tax and constantly have the magnifying glass out looking for all available loopholes. Your employees pay their shit, you do the same!

Put an end to the loopholes! It is tax, you are not exempt. Pay it, shut the **** up, be decent and crack on. No one likes it I am sure, I pay what I should and these ***** should do the same.

Your average  worker who works for Starbucks, Amazon etc pays more tax percentage wise on their wages than they do on their profits. 

That can't be right. 

Edited by Auldbenches

9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Your average  worker who works for Starbucks, Amazon etc pays more tax percentage wise on their wages than they do on their profits. 

That can't be right. 

Starbucks and such like companies are utter *****, almost the entire lot of them are at it.

Small businesses are at it too which can’t be overlooked but on such a small scale.  For example you still see cash only kebab shops that do not accept card.  They will give the excuse that they can’t afford the merchant fees (even though it is the buyer who will likely pay them) – they do this to avoid the paper trail.  They wont put in the books all sales and pocket cash at end of the night.  It is the oldest trick in the book.  I know for a fact some Chinese take aways still do this.

Of course, this is a drop in the ocean compared to the big multi nationals but cheating the system is cheating the system and should be punished. I’m P.A.Y.E – I do it all right and I expect everyone else to.

Tax is a ***** but we should all pay our dues.

Byyy The Light
22 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Starbucks and such like companies are utter *****, almost the entire lot of them are at it.

Small businesses are at it too which can’t be overlooked but on such a small scale.  For example you still see cash only kebab shops that do not accept card.  They will give the excuse that they can’t afford the merchant fees (even though it is the buyer who will likely pay them) – they do this to avoid the paper trail.  They wont put in the books all sales and pocket cash at end of the night.  It is the oldest trick in the book.  I know for a fact some Chinese take aways still do this.

Of course, this is a drop in the ocean compared to the big multi nationals but cheating the system is cheating the system and should be punished. I’m P.A.Y.E – I do it all right and I expect everyone else to.

Of course they are.  They are slaves to the stock market and big finance.  Even if a CEO had the balls to change the way they pay tax, they'd be out on their arse pronto.  The shareholders wouldn't have it.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Maybe the small businesses are happy to try and get away with it because they don't see the government going after Amazon etc.

Not saying that creates the culture, but maybe they would worry more about doing it if they saw that the Amazons etc were no longer allowed to do it and the general attitude towards businesses and tax had changed.

That post the other day saying property only being owned by uk registered companies would also help.  I suppose that would impact on those in this country that play the same game elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm on the side of the little guy and as I have said the 1% don't pay enough but as for superyachts and foodbanks sometimes people deserve to be super rich and sometimes people deserve to be poor. By this I mean some people through hard work, genius talent and drive deserve a superyacht and some people through the absolute opposite of this deserve to have **** all. Not all super rich and poor stories are down to greed, government and injustice. 

Do you disagree with people being able to have superyachts? Do you think Ronaldo and Loic Damour should drive the same Peugeot? My position is Ronaldo deserves every penny he gets - he should just pay more tax than Loic Damour.

Ronaldo is not the wealth I am talking about. Its the Billionaires. 
You dont become that wealthy without being a complete ****!

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

:verysmug:

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

:verysmug:

Konrad von Carstein
23 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Regards the property tax dodges my mother was an estate agent and still has contacts in it, it's rife that foreigners (Mainly Chinese apparently) buy houses (new builds in particular) with suitcases of cash in and around Edinburgh. The conveyancing lawyer is supposed to verify the legality regards money laundering and tax evasion etc but it's wide open to abuse. Don't expect the SNP to do anything about it anytime soon.

:jj_facepalm:

:qqb006:

On 05/10/2021 at 03:04, i8hibsh said:

My position is Ronaldo deserves every penny he gets - he should just pay more tax than Loic Damour.

Going a bit off topic here but, I do have some issues with the products that Ronaldo advertises. I don't believe for one second that he puts KFC and Herbalife into his system outside of occasions where he is being paid so he shouldn't be promoting that crap to kids.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

8 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Going a bit off topic here but, I do have some issues with the products that Ronaldo advertises. I don't believe for one second that he puts KFC and Herbalife into his system outside of occasions where he is being paid so he shouldn't be promoting that crap to kids.

He was quick enough to move the bottles of Coca Cola out of shot at the European championship press conference. Got to keep on brand at all times. 

On 03/10/2021 at 20:29, Footballfirst said:

It must be possible to avoid some of the abuses by offshore companies.

Create a law that requires all UK properties to be "owned" by a UK resident, or a UK based company, i.e. no offshore ownership. If a foreign national or company wishes to own property in the UK, then they need to set up a UK company or subsidiary to own the property.

Similarly with multinational companies, they should be required to create a UK subsidiary, through which all their income and expenditure incurred by its UK operations must be channeled.

could just ban residential properties being held in trust or in a company/SPV. another though off the top of my head - if owned by a company treated as a business premises and subject to business rates rather than council tax...

17 hours ago, Tazio said:

He was quick enough to move the bottles of Coca Cola out of shot at the European championship press conference. Got to keep on brand at all times. 

Don't think it was anything to do with keeping on brand, he just doesn't think people should be having sugary drinks.