Pandora Papers leak!

hearts151

I think they'll be several familar names appearing in the news over the next few days.

As for Tony Blair, just goes to prove that no matter the colour of rosette they wear they're all the same, liars, cheats, conmen/women, quick to callout the other side for sleaze when they are doing the same/similar things themselves.

SwindonJambo
27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think they'll be several familar names appearing in the news over the next few days.

As for Tony Blair, just goes to prove that no matter the colour of rosette they wear they're all the same, liars, cheats, conmen/women, quick to callout the other side for sleaze when they are doing the same/similar things themselves.

So do I. I expect David Cameron to feature prominently, as he did in the Panama papers. Probably that pos JRM a good bet too. Unfortunately the very wealthiest are very mobile, and have use of the best lawyers and accountants, to put them in the strongest position to conceal their wealth abroad to dodge tax.

There will probably be a few well thought of public figures sweating in their shoes as their dirty laundry gets exposed.

These people would all still be wealthy anyway  without resorting to concealing their wealth. The capacity of the human species for greed is limitless.

Same thing will happen as happened after the last few leaks.

Shite all.

Those that can afford to hire the services of accountants, shell companies and offshore enablers will continue to avoid paying trillions in tax, while the working population are ground further into the dirt.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nailed it. 

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Same thing will happen as happened after the last few leaks.

Shite all.

Those that can afford to hire the services of accountants, shell companies and offshore enablers will continue to avoid paying trillions in tax, while the working population are ground further into the dirt.

Correct - nothing will ever change until the rich stop getting richer. 

Footballfirst

It must be possible to avoid some of the abuses by offshore companies.

Create a law that requires all UK properties to be "owned" by a UK resident, or a UK based company, i.e. no offshore ownership. If a foreign national or company wishes to own property in the UK, then they need to set up a UK company or subsidiary to own the property.

Similarly with multinational companies, they should be required to create a UK subsidiary, through which all their income and expenditure incurred by its UK operations must be channeled.

Edited by Footballfirst

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Create a law that require all properties to be "owned" by a UK resident, or a UK based company, i.e. no offshore ownership. If a foreign national or company wishes to own property in the UK, then they need to set up a UK company or subsidiary to own the property.

Similarly with multinational companies, they should be required to create a UK subsidiary, through which all their income and expenditure incurred within the UK must be channeled.

Agreed.

If you want to live or trade in the UK , you pay your taxes here given  your making money off the backs of the UK/getting the benefits of living  in the UK that UK residents pay their taxes to provide. 

If not, do one. 

There's no need to listen to any more nonsense about "the rich will just  go and take their money with them" given  many stayed here but exported their money decades ago. 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Whilst generally i agree with the sentiment that there are many across the political spectrum who preach one thing whilst doing another.

What i always thought about Blair was that he was decent at the point he achieved the highest office in the land and gradually was given access to a lot of beneficial financial opportunities. I just didn't think he exploited them whilst in office where as the current government have no hesitancy in blurring the lines between politics and personal gain. 

22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Create a law that requires all UK properties to be "owned" by a UK resident, or a UK based company, i.e. no offshore ownership. If a foreign national or company wishes to own property in the UK, then they need to set up a UK company or subsidiary to own the property.

Similarly with multinational companies, they should be required to create a UK subsidiary, through which all their income and expenditure incurred by its UK operations must be channeled.

Yes, the EU is currently trying to lead a global crack down on offshore tax havens.

Brexit may or may not have had something to do with that (considering that A LOT of these offshore tax havens are remnants of the British Empire)

Lone Striker
27 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that requirement already exists for multinational companies opening or owning a  subsidiary company in the UK.  However there are clever business arrangements  which can minimise profits in one (high tax) country and maximise it in another (low tax) country.      Belgium & Ireland were the favoured low-tax countries when I worked for a multi-national company.     

Just seen @Cade post - highly ironic if the EU are feeling aggrieved !!!

Edited by Lone Striker

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

We can but dream. There isn't a vaguely electable politician in the land who would go down such a route, sadly.

I thought Corbyn would've been a good choice, not surprising the establishment went out to destroy his character :ninja:

44 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's a good shout tbh..

We can't have foreign lorry drivers.. but our property and land.. nae bother that's okay.

Thinking more about it.. that Blair method is definitely be the norm in that world.

The narrative if the conservatives et Al will be "we want to encourage (legitimate) investment from overseas. Coming here and investing their money in the UK"

But what are they investing other than paying council tax that any owner will have to pay?

I bet that 80%+ of these houses and apartments in London etc have been own my the same offshore company for years and decades to come... But the owner of these companies have changed hands dozens of times bringing absolutely no benefit to the UK other than the odd maintenance work and just ends up being a load of houses that lie empty all year round that would actually be quite useful to people who live and work in London.

Blair's probably right in that at least that house has been brought back into UK ownership.. he's probably alluding to the fact most don't and are done the way he 'had to' (load of shite.. why would the selling company give a **** how someone bought the property off them).

2 minutes ago, hearts151 said:

That's a good shout tbh..

We can't have foreign lorry drivers.. but our property and land.. nae bother that's okay.

Is what Tony Blair has done illegal - or is it just being “tax efficient”?

I wonder how many people on here try to minimise the amount of tax they pay.

4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Is what Tony Blair has done illegal - or is it just being “tax efficient”?

I wonder how many people on here try to minimise the amount of tax they pay.

I think he used a loophole so its not technically illegal.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, kila said:

I thought Corbyn would've been a good choice, not surprising the establishment went out to destroy his character :ninja:

The greatest Prime minister we never had 

SwindonJambo
39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think he used a loophole so its not technically illegal.

I think we'll find that all or most used loopholes so though immoral, not illegal. There will be a public outcry, some individuals will be exposed as hypocrites, but, alas just like the MPs' expenses scandal of 2009, absolutely nothing will change.

The London property market is overinflated by billions of foreign bent bread sloshing around in it via loopholes with much of it unoccupied. It would be no bad thing if the while thing went breasts vertical at some point to make it more affordable.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

2 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

FTFY👍

It is sickening that the only Labour leader in my lifetime and a man that was massively respect at one time was always nothing more than another money man and a corporate shill. He's a truly awful man. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It is sickening that the only Labour leader in my lifetime and a man that was massively respect at one time was always nothing more than another money man and a corporate shill. He's a truly awful man. 

When he first got elected as an mp, the Tories at the time used to call him the young Conservative.

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

When he first got elected as an mp, the Tories at the time used to call him the young Conservative.

They were right. If only John Smith hadn't snuffed it and Blair would probably be some used to be back bencher. 

SwindonJambo
19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They were right. If only John Smith hadn't snuffed it and Blair would probably be some used to be back bencher. 

He was shadow Home Secretary when Smith died. I expect he would have been a cabinet minister if Smith had survived and won an election. Gordon Brown was shadow chancellor under both Smith and Blair before getting the actual Chancellor gig. 

And the massed media gather to throw attention on something done by a labour PM from 14 years ago to divert from the current bunch of crooks in power. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

And the massed media gather to throw attention on something done by a labour PM from 14 years ago to divert from the current bunch of crooks in power. 

The current bunch of crooks are only in power,  till the next bunch of crooks takeover.

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Yes, the EU is currently trying to lead a global crack down on offshore tax havens.

Brexit may or may not have had something to do with that (considering that A LOT of these offshore tax havens are remnants of the British Empire)

Let's not pretend that the EU is some sort of morally just, High tax imposing, anti-capitalist state.

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

His old man was the tory councillor for sedgefield.  Him getting into politics was nothing but what was in it for him and his family.   Him and his wife had already done s deal.  First one to win a seat goes for it and the other stays in lawn

Look at the money made on that Bristol property as soon as he became prime minister.   Nothing but a very greedy family.

People can critises Gordon brown for how good or bad he was while in office but he was genuine. 

In the first year of leaving office, Blair made well over 10 million on the lecture tour and kept it.  Brown made approximately 1 million in the first year and gave it all away.

Blair is worse than Thatcher as you know what you were getting with her

He was just sleekit bastsrd.

Don’t see the issue here. Whatever our current level of wealth is surely everyone would use the means within that level to pay as little tax as legally allowed. Personally think it’s stupid idealistic notion to think that wealthy people shouldn’t use the rules in place just because they have a bit money. Stinks of extreme left wing jealousy. 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

I wouldn't worry as I'd bet there will be plenty of Tory's or Tory donors in these lists as well, whose names will come out this week.

34 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Don’t see the issue here. Whatever our current level of wealth is surely everyone would use the means within that level to pay as little tax as legally allowed. Personally think it’s stupid idealistic notion to think that wealthy people shouldn’t use the rules in place just because they have a bit money. Stinks of extreme left wing jealousy. 

The issue is that working and middle class people don't have access to the tax avoidance schemes that ultra wealthy people use. This results in poorer people paying tax on a higher percentage of their income. Expecting people that have done well financially to pay the same percentage as people that are less well off isn't jealousy.

2 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The issue is that working and middle class people don't have access to the tax avoidance schemes that ultra wealthy people use. This results in poorer people paying tax on a higher percentage of their income. Expecting people that have done well financially to pay the same percentage as people that are less well off isn't jealousy.

I think a lot of the time jealousy is exactly what it is. Wealth/high earners pay a ridiculous amount of tax. I get some people don’t like it but more wealth gives you more choices in life. It feels like you can do well life and get all the rewards this brings except wealth. Stick in at school and get a good job, a pat on the back. Work hard and get promoted/better job, pay on the back. Start your own business and be successful, pat on the back. All these things earn rewards as you go through life. As soon as you start to get wealthy it is frowned upon. Tax paid before real wealth is eye watering. 

People at the very bottom ripping the pish and the people at the very top ripping the pish.

Then you have Joe Shmoe, shmucks like me in the middle paying more for both the *****.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

People at the very bottom ripping the pish and the people at the very top ripping the pish.

Then you have Joe Shmoe, shmucks like me in the middle paying more for both the *****.

Didums ... ☹️☹️☹️

Those lucky ***** at the bottom have it easy eh? 

Another one to add to the list of attention seeking posts of I8. 

It’s a long list.

maroonlegions
15 hours ago, jonesy said:

Powerful people in positions of authority are corrupt and have dodgy financial dealings? Really? Shocking. 

Shocking is a weak word to use in regards to highly influential individuals committing CRIMES and getting  off with  it for years.   

Me or you  committing these crimes and  would be  a lengthy time of porridge. 

I would use the term insidious.

Trust and follow the leaders eh????

87468432_1108872592815362_994255847800438784_n.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

Just now, Tynieman said:

Didums ... ☹️☹️☹️

Those lucky ***** at the bottom have it easy eh? 

Another one to add to the list of attention seeking posts of I8. 

It’s a long list.

Like the many that contribute **** all financially to society and take so much?  You are damn ****ing straight I have a problem with that.  

I assume in your blinkered little mind you don't think people at the bottom take the piss too?

I'm sick of it all tbh, the parasitical wasters at the bottom and the fraudulent leeches at the very top.

Every day all I hear about are prices going up, bills being raised, billionaires getting special treatment and no good scoundrels at the bottom living off our hard work.

I just seem to constantly be funding ‘causes’ I have no wish to fund.  From paying well over my share for the environment, a scam global hoax, refugees, tax dodging billionaires, an education system that is based more on woke indoctrination and propaganda than teaching free thought and fact, a police system that is failing and a ****ing health service I’m advised that instead of it protecting me I am to protect it.

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, kila said:

The anti semetic stuff stank to high heaven for me.  
The media billionaires ensure we get the PM’s they want. 
We’re constantly stitched up. 

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

5892BD56-77FA-4EF9-99AB-C97863FADCA7.jpeg

Slightly slimmer face than him but generally not far off

:gok:

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Like the many that contribute **** all financially to society and take so much?  You are damn ****ing straight I have a problem with that.  

I assume in your blinkered little mind you don't think people at the bottom take the piss too?

I'm sick of it all tbh, the parasitical wasters at the bottom and the fraudulent leeches at the very top.

Every day all I hear about are prices going up, bills being raised, billionaires getting special treatment and no good scoundrels at the bottom living off our hard work.

I just seem to constantly be funding ‘causes’ I have no wish to fund.  From paying well over my share for the environment, a scam global hoax, refugees, tax dodging billionaires, an education system that is based more on woke indoctrination and propaganda than teaching free thought and fact, a police system that is failing and a ****ing health service I’m advised that instead of it protecting me I am to protect it.

And my taxes unfortunately contribute towards your health and security.

I guess we all have something we can complain about.

2 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

3 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

Btw - as of 2017 the lowest spent was on the unemployed. 

The middle class (such as family tax credits, housing benefits paid to

landlords etc) was second behind pensions.

But don’t let that get in the way of your idiotic post.

Guess you have to do something just now that the “Robbie oot” thread isn’t popular just now eh.

15 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

My taxes go towards my health and security!

12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

And mine, thanks for that. 👍

Edited by Awbdy Oot

12 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that’s not how taxes work.

Jeez, now some might think you speak absolute nonsense!