Have you turned the heating on yet?

Greedy Jambo

No,  but browsing for layering options.  The annual consideration and rejection of purchasing a Canada Goose coat will begin.  Will opt for a shit padded jacket at a quarter of the price.

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Just buy it, you’ll end up buying jackets to that value in long run anyway. It’s clearly annual pilgrimage for you. Think of it as an investment piece, 

I have one, parka, and it good (not as warm as I hoped but I’m a cold blooded soul) however, I will concede haven’t bought or thought about another ‘heavy’ winter jacket since. Defo go for one of the more classic style, stay away from the trend jackets as you will regret it. 

Ohh heating is on last couple of days. Whilst underfloor heating been on in bathrooms for over a month now, **** walking on cold floor.

I’m not a fan of the climate in this country. The dark nights don’t help the situation either. 

Maybe.  Not sure I can be at ease with dropping that kind of money on something that will live in the loft for 7 or 8 months.  Oh hello Mr Berghaus / other over-rated pap brand.

Kind of along these lines - I moved house in January.  It’s not that big but it’s on 3 floors. Gas central heating.  It’s also got one of those ‘smart’ thermometers that you can control with your phone. (It’s too ****ing smart for me.)

Weird thing is the radiators on the top level sometimes work fine, other times not at all.  Stone cold.  They are turned on, they don’t need bled.  It’s not just the one, it’s all of them and they are stone cold, definitely no hot water going through them at all.

The other radiators work fine when the heating is on.

Any ideas?

(Incidentally there’s a shower room on the top floor and there’s always hot water for it and the sink)

Edited by FWJ

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not enough water to fill up to the third floor? :D

It’s weird that sometimes they do work and when they don’t they really don’t.  I’ve checked at the pipe going into them and it’s not even tepid.

Could there be two ‘circuits’? 
(Easy seen I’m not a plumber!)

Lone Striker
36 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Kind of along these lines - I moved house in January.  It’s not that big but it’s on 3 floors. Gas central heating.  It’s also got one of those ‘smart’ thermometers that you can control with your phone. (It’s too ****ing smart for me.)

Weird thing is the radiators on the top level sometimes work fine, other times not at all.  Stone cold.  They are turned on, they don’t need bled.  It’s not just the one, it’s all of them and they are stone cold, definitely no hot water going through them at all.

Any ideas?

(Incidentally there’s a shower room on the top floor and there’s always hot water for it and the sink)

Maybe your water pressure (coming out the boiler) is variable.   When its low, the water isn't making it up to your top floor ?  Is there a pressure gauge visible on your boiler ?   Or maybe  the pump sometimes just decides to take it easy  ?    Is the water for your shower heated by the same gas-fired boiler ? Or is it an electric shower ?

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Pfft, I have drawing rooms to heat.

Real men have drawing rooms 

Post some of your drawings on here, so that we can decide how real you actually are 😃

Still needing the air-con here during the day. Just.

It is starting to get a wee bit chilly in the early hours though.

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe your water pressure (coming out the boiler) is variable.   When its low, the water isn't making it up to your top floor ?  Is there a pressure gauge visible on your boiler ?   Or maybe  the pump sometimes just decides to take it easy  ?    Is the water for your shower heated by the same gas-fired boiler ? Or is it an electric shower ?

Yup, the shower (and hot water tap in the sink) are off the gas boiler.

Hadn’t thought about the water pressure TBH.  It’s the fact that when they don’t work they completely don’t work that I don’t understand.  I’ve been putting it off over the summer but I’ll just need to bite the bullet and get it looked at.  (£££)

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Still needing the air-con here during the day. Just.

It is starting to get a wee bit chilly in the early hours though.

Dick 😀

Lone Striker
42 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m actually a bot from a Russian troll farm. 

Artistic pursuits are done in the studio, not one of the drawing rooms. They are for entertainment 😃

Well its your choice obviously  🧐 .....  but when dining rooms are for dining and bathrooms are for bathing, it seems wrong not to at least do some drawing in a drawing room.       Quite impressed with your multi-functional approach though   😄

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Wife has been warned. Heating goes on no earlier than Nov 1st, and even then, there will be days it’s off. Not to save money, but just hate having it on unless it’s genuinely cold. 

No real man has the heating on in September

Forgot to change the page on the calendar?

Lone Striker

Talking of how to keep warm .......... has anyone purchased a fleece jacket recently ?    The zip on mine has kicked the bucket, so I trawled through various websites looking for a mid-weight replacement  - feck me, some places like Cotswold are charging £150 for a fleece !!        

Is there now a shortage of fleeces too ?    Another thing to blame Brexit for ........   :wallbash:       

😄

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Talking of how to keep warm .......... has anyone purchased a fleece jacket recently ?    The zip on mine has kicked the bucket, so I trawled through various websites looking for a mid-weight replacement  - feck me, some places like Cotswold are charging £150 for a fleece !!        

Is there now a shortage of fleeces too ?    Another thing to blame Brexit for ........   :wallbash:       

😄

Depends what kind you're looking for but I picked up a North Face pullover fleece for £65 earlier in the year and it does the trick. 

Jamstomorrow

The darker nights are a kind of bonus.   I put a lamp on and use the bulb for both necessary illumination and warmth.  Sorted!

To early to be talking about long slide tackles and hot chocolate yet?

Been nippy in the mornings. Getting harder to drag myself out of bed from the warmth of the covers. 

Had it on for 30 minutes this morning, just to take the chill off, probably won't be on again until tomorrow morning (if it's cold).

Got a Nest thermostat so it decides when it needs to go on. It obviously never turned itself in June to August but I was informed when I was at work on 29th that it went on for a wee bit at night. Don't think it's been on since 

Seymour M Hersh

December. 

Unless it get's chilly tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

😄

check go outdoors, they have things like this. not the most stylish

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15999922/brasher-mens-rydal-ii-fleece-jacket-15999922

JudyJudyJudy

Yes ! I’m always frozen in the winter . It looks like it’ll be time for my “ big” winter coat as well . It’s a very stylish military tunic type with 3 buttons  on either side and tapers in at the waist and has a high colour so it very flattering and stylish . And why not . Something like this . Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you have to go about liking like Ernest Shackleton 

5DD2C48B-1300-47AE-9DC6-6400036CB963.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

Twice this week.

But only because I wanted to check it was OK and the radiators all got toasty throughout the house. I'm not waiting until it gets really cold to get that potential surprise as think last time it was on was March.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes ! I’m always frozen in the winter . It looks like it’ll be time for my “ big” winter coat as well . It’s a very stylish military tunic type with 3 buttons  on either side and tapers in at the waist and has a high colour so it very flattering and stylish . And why not . Something like this . Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you have to go about liking like Ernest Shackleton 

5DD2C48B-1300-47AE-9DC6-6400036CB963.jpeg

You also don't need to go about looking like an SS officer :laugh2:

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

You also don't need to go about looking like an SS officer :laugh2:

Well I’ve mentioned before about how I look quite Germanic / Nordic so if the cap or coat fits wear it 😂

ECFEBEEC-DB4B-47B5-99D9-A382D793D2B1.jpeg

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well I’ve mentioned before about how I look quite Germanic / Nordic so if the cap or coat fits wear it 😂

ECFEBEEC-DB4B-47B5-99D9-A382D793D2B1.jpeg

You have to hand it to them, they were a smart looking bunch. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

You have to hand it to them, they were a smart looking bunch. 

Blame Hugo Boss et al 

16 hours ago, FWJ said:

Any ideas?

Maybe clean/hoover up underneath them. Mines were freezing for ages and i didnt even think to look under them. Packed with dust and shit. Hoovered them and it was absolutely superb. Roasting hot flat in 30 mins

Mac_fae_Gillie

Turned it on this morning for 1st time in 6 months, was going to try to hold off but wanted a kick to the heat.. turned it off after 45mins enuff time to get house toasty, it will chill down as the day goes on so I will layer up then about 6pm put heating on again for an hour to reheat house for evening.