Retired

Sharpie

39 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I’ve seen men working on building sites who look in their 60s . That’s not right 

49 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I know what you're saying James but there are many people who are forced to work well beyond 60 because they have no choice. We were fortunate in that respect and yes we did plan it this way.

In no way do I want to come across as condescending; that would never be my intention. I'm not saying this very well but what I mean was at least we had a choice.

Of course there are many who work on because they love what they do 

That was exactly my fathers motivation for directing me to a police career. I have mentioned it often, but on being called to serve his Country, he lost his future, he worked all his life until forced retirement at sixty five and a small work pension. My mother worked for many years as a cleaner at the University, my fathers one break was that he was supplied a house with his job at St Trineans School. They had a very low rental, and late on in life were able to buy it at sitting tenants rates, which was dated at 1930. This removed the rent cost. He didn't live long enough to see me retired but I am sure he would have smiled if he had been able to see it, all based and earned as a result of his motivation. He was not so fortunate.

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great stuff, mon am. 

We can finally have that beer 🍺 

👍

Looking forward to it already, J.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Retired at 60. Was always my intention but luckily I worked for over 30 years for a company with a FS pension / GPP pension. 

My wife finished work 6 months after me also with a decent pension.

Sound pensions advice also allows us to be financially comfortable. 

We now live in Dunblane, walk our dogs and enjoy the rural lifestyle. 

Our three children are all in good jobs so that is great.

We have been fortunate and I never forget that.

Not so much ‘fortunate’ as good planning, I’d say.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Not so much ‘fortunate’ as good planning, I’d say.

Entering the work force at a time when final salary pensions were available is definitely fortunate. Don't think we'll ever see those again. I'm not knocking jonnothejambo, you take advantage of the opportunities that you're given.

Those of us lucky enough to have had Final Salary Schemes may wish to look at transferring to a PP for access at 55 and subsequent growth.. Very much depends on age and circumstances but transfer vales are good at the moment and it's worth considering. 

I did  it earlier this year and, of course ,legally, you have to go through an IFA. They will go through due diligence and will know early on, whether or not it's better for you or not. No transfer, no charge. Certainly with the IFA I used.

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

That was exactly my fathers motivation for directing me to a police career. I have mentioned it often, but on being called to serve his Country, he lost his future, he worked all his life until forced retirement at sixty five and a small work pension. My mother worked for many years as a cleaner at the University, my fathers one break was that he was supplied a house with his job at St Trineans School. They had a very low rental, and late on in life were able to buy it at sitting tenants rates, which was dated at 1930. This removed the rent cost. He didn't live long enough to see me retired but I am sure he would have smiled if he had been able to see it, all based and earned as a result of his motivation. He was not so fortunate.

👍

20 hours ago, Morgan said:

I stopped working at 43. My wife was 42.

We weren’t sure what we were to do next, we had only a couple of vague plans.

We ended up living in four of the larger cities in Spain. Three months each in the first three then Barcelona for 11 months, which was fun, but too frenetic.

We then moved to France where we had a house already and have been there ever since.

Heading home to Edinburgh within the next 4 years, we reckon. 

Typical glory hunter, Hertz starting to resemble a Fitbaw club and the ex-pats start clamouring for a ticket... 😘

7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Typical glory hunter, Hertz starting to resemble a Fitbaw club and the ex-pats start clamouring for a ticket... 😘

You’ve got me sussed, Oliver.  👍

Having retirement date open-ended was fine in my fifties (never thought about it) but, sixties?

So many new influences are starting to appear, mates retiring, younger managers, apprentices that think they ken better until they appear cap-in-hand and ask sheepishly, if a 2k sub-assembly can be brought back to life, I could give them the good news instantly but there's nae fun in that...izzthur?

Fingers crossed, a couple of financial permutations bear the right amount of fruit, then within months, it could be all over...peachy!

I could say i retired at 41 but it was horrible. I worked full time since i was 12.  Run a business since 2005 and done well enough to retire but i simply cant be away from work. Sat around for 7 months and took some holidays but my itchy feet were always for being back running things.

So i guess, i'm semi-retired. Still do the minimum but help out a lot for a charity i'm involved in.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I think I have retired. My wife says I have now. I can’t figure out if she’s embarrassed or proud🤷🏻‍♂️

I have certainly retired from traditional employment and business ownership. I can’t see myself ever going back to that type of lifestyle. The problem is my ego still has urges. 😡

I still have interests and do a bit. Though at times I do feel I should do something more and have more of a focus. Large part of that is to set an example to my kids about hard work, ethics etc, Then I think that’s a fools errand anyway.🤔

My missus, resigned the day she returned from our honeymoon and has never worked another day since. That said she is an awesome mother and probably deserves compo payment from keeping me in some modecum of order. The fact I’m alive is a minor miracle😞

She tells me she’s never been happier since I ‘retired’ and I love being able to spend time with my kids. Little things like the school run have become chatting shit and singing songs together and enjoying that time. As opposed to being a chore and being on phone or rushing somewhere. (Yes I get that was on me)

Im very fortunate that I can I make these choices now. The key is defo doing something you love and you a degree of ability at. 

just wish I hadn’t fallen out of love🤷🏻‍♂️

Sad ending to a nice story. 

highlandjambo3

Worked since 16, now 57 and looking to properly retire at 60……..

Got a decent pension coming in so don’t really need to “plod on” as a lot of retired people do so, here’s the plan:

1.  sell the hoose.

2.  buy one of these and live on it (I am actually serious). It’s 48 foot, accommodation for 5, fully fitted out kitchen/living area, radar, chart plotter, depth sonar, auto pilot 1100bhp.  Spend 8 months in the med, 4 months in the UK, Charter the boat £1k per day (or thereabouts) it can carry 12 people for day excursions, snorkelling, paddle boards etc………I don’t need the charter dosh but it could be “money for old rope”.  Maintenance,insurance, fuel etc would be less than my current combined bills for running my house.  I’ve done powerboat training in the past and have a basic sports boat certificate, I need to do another two courses for competency.

3.  Oh, when I sell the house and buy the boat…..I’ll have about 50k left over.

I’m bang serious…..anyone see any real flaws with this I’m all ears.

D45E4C75-1216-4764-89E9-90693CA51CFF.jpeg

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

I like your attitude, Jimbo.

I've taken jobs (doing one at the moment) which have seriously impacted my health (insomnia, stress, chest pains). Looking forward to hand in my notice in a month or so. Lucky enough to be in a position to try a couple of different things for 2022 which should give me less stress and the chance to do something I know I actually enjoy at the same time.

Have had opportunities in the past to go down the big money route (and presumably, big pension), but I'm simply unwilling (perhaps lazy?) to devote the major portion of my life to something I don't want to do. Life's too short.

I am firmly of the opinion that I wouldn't be here now if I had continued to work, even part-time, just the stress and everything else.

We were lucky in that either mine or Mrs JJ's wages covered running the house, bills etc with more enough spare, and the other's wages were free, so it wasn't a catastrophe when my wages stopped, sure we had to cut back etc, but we were lucky and fortunate enough to be in the position to be able to do that.  10 years previous to that and it would have been a completely different story, shit, creek and paddle spring to mind.

I had years ago, already put in plans what I was going to be doing in retirement, to earn a bit of pocket money, beer money, I just brought it forwards by 15-16 years and that's were I am now and have been for the last 9-10 years.   

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pensioners shouldn't be allowed to spend the young teams money abroad, after they retire.

My kids earn much more than we do, so guess what I've got to say about spending our own money on ourselves.  :mw_tease:

highlandjambo3
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My kids earn much more than we do, so guess what I've got to say about spending our own money on ourselves.  :mw_tease:

Agreed……exactly where I am.

joondalupjambo
22 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Got a decent pension coming in so don’t really need to “plod on” as a lot of retired people do so, here’s the plan:

1.  sell the hoose.

2.  buy one of these and live on it (I am actually serious). It’s 48 foot, accommodation for 5, fully fitted out kitchen/living area, radar, chart plotter, depth sonar, auto pilot 1100bhp.  Spend 8 months in the med, 4 months in the UK, Charter the boat £1k per day (or thereabouts) it can carry 12 people for day excursions, snorkelling, paddle boards etc………I don’t need the charter dosh but it could be “money for old rope”.  Maintenance,insurance, fuel etc would be less than my current combined bills for running my house.  I’ve done powerboat training in the past and have a basic sports boat certificate, I need to do another two courses for competency.

That's the game albeit I would be more of a house boat man near Perth, WA myself 😀

Only issue when we were planning it all was Health cover.  We would have to be both residents of the country we were spending the most time in and then go semi private.  Lot's of detail surrounding that in Oz so will not bore you but guess the question is now that we are not in the EU how do you overcome the 8 months Med in relation to your status? 

Obviously health care and health cover is all about risk but living and working on a boat and then combine that with travel then the risk surely increases.  That is over and above anything more serious that may happen, never a nice thought but need to be factored in I think.

So status in terms of residency, because you are not on holiday if you want to rent out the boat, take income for that and will not mention tax but that needs thought through I guess as well and health cover,  That would be the two for me to square the circle.

Sounds great though.

Edited by joondalupjambo

highlandjambo3
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

That's the game albeit I would be more of a house boat man near Perth, WA myself 😀

Only issue when we were planning it all was Health cover.  We would have to be both residents of the country we were spending the most time in and then go semi private.  Lot's of detail surrounding that in Oz so will not bore you but guess the question is now that we are not in the EU how do you overcome the 8 months Med in relation to your status? 

Obviously health care and health cover is all about risk but living and working on a boat and then combine that with travel then the risk surely increases.  That is over and above anything more serious that may happen, never a nice thought but need to be factored in I think.

So status in terms of residency, because you are not on holiday if you want to rent out the boat, take income for that and will not mention tax but that needs thought through I guess as well and health cover,  That would be the two for me to square the cirlce.

Sounds great though.

I need to register the boat in a “home” port so, wherever I get the boat from (it’s an Italian sports boat baia flash 48) its hard to find in the UK.  I’ll need to de register its eu status and re register its UK home, so long as I return to the UK for 4 months a year I’m covered as a UK citizen (I believe)  I’m also aware there is an import tax bill to be paid.

Regarding charter, they don’t get the boat on their own….I’m the skipper and I’ll be on board all the time, yes tax on extra earnings…..details tbc.

Medical cover, I guess I’ll need to declare my intention and pay premium rates.

More research required but, I’ve got 3 years to plan this out.

As soon as I had enough money to live the rest of my life I was out the work door sharpish. Never looked back, despite 4 years later still getting offered jobs on linkedin

On 02/10/2021 at 09:21, Tazio said:

Not old Mr Usher by any chance? 

Stuart usher. That’s the chap. 

I for some reason though he was Stuart Gilmore. I tried to look him up when I got home but couldn’t find him because I got his second name wrong. 

played chess and drank beers with him. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 01/10/2021 at 22:25, Morgan said:

I stopped working at 43. My wife was 42.

We weren’t sure what we were to do next, we had only a couple of vague plans.

We ended up living in four of the larger cities in Spain. Three months each in the first three then Barcelona for 11 months, which was fun, but too frenetic.

We then moved to France where we had a house already and have been there ever since.

Heading home to Edinburgh within the next 4 years, we reckon. 

Living in France must be lovely ? I’ve been there loads . Strasbourg , Paris , Cannes , Monaco , Lyon , Lille . Such a cultured place really . When I first visited with my ex I was impressed by the French dress style . Very classy . Then loved the food and the wine 🍷 and their attitude  about life . Oh and the accent !!! Oh la la 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I need to register the boat in a “home” port so, wherever I get the boat from (it’s an Italian sports boat baia flash 48) its hard to find in the UK.  I’ll need to de register its eu status and re register its UK home, so long as I return to the UK for 4 months a year I’m covered as a UK citizen (I believe)  I’m also aware there is an import tax bill to be paid.

Regarding charter, they don’t get the boat on their own….I’m the skipper and I’ll be on board all the time, yes tax on extra earnings…..details tbc.

Medical cover, I guess I’ll need to declare my intention and pay premium rates.

More research required but, I’ve got 3 years to plan this out.

It will be exciting just planning it all, sounds a great opportunity.  No idea about that 4 month thing with you being sea based when overseas.  Sure that will be a tester for the Home Office 😀😀 Mind you Merchant seamen must live along similar lines.  Yeah the medical one is a thing we looked at and we're going to just have to bite the bullet.  Even land based with a mix of Government assistance and private cover we were looking at about 3500k per year based on our age and residency status.  And we were on terra firm 😀😀

Hope you can realise your dream and would be good to get a few updates now and again.  Love to hear folk doing something different.  

highlandjambo3
46 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It will be exciting just planning it all, sounds a great opportunity.  No idea about that 4 month thing with you being sea based when overseas.  Sure that will be a tester for the Home Office 😀😀 Mind you Merchant seamen must live along similar lines.  Yeah the medical one is a thing we looked at and we're going to just have to bite the bullet.  Even land based with a mix of Government assistance and private cover we were looking at about 3500k per year based on our age and residency status.  And we were on terra firm 😀😀

Hope you can realise your dream and would be good to get a few updates now and again.  Love to hear folk doing something different.  

Thanks……I won’t be a proper old salty sea dog, I’m not really sea based as I have a registered home port (my home address if you want), I’ll just be on an extended euro holiday, not spending more than 3 weeks in the same country.  I plan on berthing in a port most of the time, spend 2-3 weeks plying my trade with day excursions then move on.  I’ll only spend overnight out of port when doing excursions for over 24hrs, even then I won’t be moving at night, I’ll have reconnaissance on overnight secluded bays and drop anchor for the evening.  The boat has underwater external LED lighting……cool as 👍.  When I do my advanced powerboat training, I’ll be limited to 150 miles or closer to land…….so, I can sneak out of the UK…..head over France way then south, Portugal, hard left past Gibraltar…..I’m sure the sat nav will get me there 😂😂

Seriously, I’ll be taking some pretty advanced training including navigation by night……I’ll be fine.

On 03/10/2021 at 12:21, JamesM48 said:

Living in France must be lovely ? I’ve been there loads . Strasbourg , Paris , Cannes , Monaco , Lyon , Lille . Such a cultured place really . When I first visited with my ex I was impressed by the French dress style . Very classy . Then loved the food and the wine 🍷 and their attitude  about life . Oh and the accent !!! Oh la la 

Yes, it certainly has its plus points.

When and where were you in Monaco, James?  We live about 10 minutes from there and I’d be interested in your thoughts and opinions of it.

It’s a wee bit over-rated in our opinion, a wee bit touristy.

We had a season ticket at AS Monaco for 4 seasons but it was pretty dire stuff.  😆

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yes, it certainly has its plus points.

When and where were you in Monaco, James?  We live about 10 minutes from there and I’d be interested in your thoughts and opinions of it.

It’s a wee bit over-rated in our opinion, a wee bit touristy.

We had a season ticket at AS Monaco for 4 seasons but it was pretty dire stuff.  😆

Morgan it was a few years back with an ex . We did the amazing train journey London to Paris the Lyon went down to Monaco Cannes then down to Italy via Milan Rose then Naples . Only stayed in Monaco for that day.  I recall it being fairly bland really snd expensive the beach just had stones on it . Weather was magnificent though 

Fxxx the SPFL

Been in Civil Service most of my working life 16-64 give or take a few years out took part of my pension at 55 and still in it now and went part time at 60 babysitting grandkids on Fridays but not needed now. Will work until 67 take my state pension at 66 stop paying national insurance and just chuck it into the bank collect my civil service pension at 67 and finish. Wife has to work until she’s 67 to get her state pension I’ll be 71 sorted. Keep going to the states for our holidays been six times now love it different cities each time but always end up in Vegas at the end for five nights 

51 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Been in Civil Service most of my working life 16-64 give or take a few years out took part of my pension at 55 and still in it now and went part time at 60 babysitting grandkids on Fridays but not needed now. Will work until 67 take my state pension at 66 stop paying national insurance and just chuck it into the bank collect my civil service pension at 67 and finish. Wife has to work until she’s 67 to get her state pension I’ll be 71 sorted. Keep going to the states for our holidays been six times now love it different cities each time but always end up in Vegas at the end for five nights 

Viva Las Vegas, home from home for my wife and I. The good lady was always careful with a dollar, until you put her in front of a Vegas 25c slot machine. I hope they have them in heaven, because they sure made her heaven on earth.😇

Fxxx the SPFL
5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Viva Las Vegas, home from home for my wife and I. The good lady was always careful with a dollar, until you put her in front of a Vegas 25c slot machine. I hope they have them in heaven, because they sure made her heaven on earth.😇

Lovely to hear that hope so too the only time we have a gamble in Vegas and the slots

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Morgan it was a few years back with an ex . We did the amazing train journey London to Paris the Lyon went down to Monaco Cannes then down to Italy via Milan Rose then Naples . Only stayed in Monaco for that day.  I recall it being fairly bland really snd expensive the beach just had stones on it . Weather was magnificent though 

I remember travelling to Central America via Miami, we had to stop off overnight in Miami so, on the lash as you do.  There were 4 of us and the plan in the morning was to bomb down to Miami Beach as it was only about 500m from where we were staying (this was the time of Miami vice on tv….helicopter swooping down the beach on the opening credits, high rise buildings on one side, sea on the other etc…….).  Got down there and it was pish, the sand was a heavy grey gravel type of affair and not another soul in sight except the 4 of us.  Got a dooking in the water by one of my mates (arsehole) and, after a good gub full of salt water I puked 🤢🤮…….so, puked on Miami Beach 😂……any one better that?

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I remember travelling to Central America via Miami, we had to stop off overnight in Miami so, on the lash as you do.  There were 4 of us and the plan in the morning was to bomb down to Miami Beach as it was only about 500m from where we were staying (this was the time of Miami vice on tv….helicopter swooping down the beach on the opening credits, high rise buildings on one side, sea on the other etc…….).  Got down there and it was pish, the sand was a heavy grey gravel type of affair and not another soul in sight except the 4 of us.  Got a dooking in the water by one of my mates (arsehole) and, after a good gub full of salt water I puked 🤢🤮…….so, puked on Miami Beach 😂……any one better that?

😂😂 that doesn’t at all fit the image of Miami 😂

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

😂😂 that doesn’t at all fit the image of Miami 😂

I know…..bit disappointed tbh……accommodation was great, James hotel, downtown Miami, small apartment type of accommodation for 4 of us…..very reasonable………gunfire was a bit close though 😂😂

See the wee blue speck on the map 

A8CE14CD-63AE-4800-80C1-22BA55F70471.png

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I know…..bit disappointed tbh……accommodation was great, James hotel, downtown Miami, small apartment type of accommodation for 4 of us…..very reasonable………gunfire was a bit close though 😂😂

Well I don’t know if you ever watched” Dexter “ but that was set in Miami and it looked an amazing place 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Well I don’t know if you ever watched” Dexter “ but that was set in Miami and it looked an amazing place 

Aye…..the Sherman’s are good at showing the good bits…not to keen on showing the “leith/niddire” bits of Miami 

46 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Aye…..the Sherman’s are good at showing the good bits…not to keen on showing the “leith/niddire” bits of Miami 

Thats actually pretty true about most of the high tourist areas of the States. Good for you though I have been reading your posts and you are continuing your interesting life in retirememt. Well done.

Stayed at the Kimpton Hotel in South Beach Miami in 2014 and didn't realise that Memorial Day was during our stay. Well that weekend SB was saturated with cops; on bikes, motorcycles, quad bikes, cars as well as the usual beat cops. A very colourful experience I can tell you with people of all shapes and sizes. Never felt threatened but the owner of the local convenience store ( he was of Indian ethnicity, not Native American Indian) and he said watch out for the blacks!

Miami itself was unimpressive except for Coconut Grove which was very affluent.

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Think I vomited close to the “C” on the Miami beach map 😂

WorldChampions1902
On 03/10/2021 at 09:07, highlandjambo3 said:

1.  sell the hoose.

Wow! What fantastic retirement plans. And I really believe that you will make this happen. Good luck !

As for me, well, I’m 62 in a few months and still working F/T. The missus retired nearly two years ago and has taken up a lifelong ambition to develop her drawing and painting. I built a log cabin in the garden which is her art studio and and I have to say, it’s been money well spent. She spends endless time in there being creative and left me in the house to work, where I have been since last March working from home due to COVID.

Had it not been for COVID, I would probably have retired by now. It all seemed pretty pointless with all the never-ending lockdowns and foreign travel restrictions. Gonna see how the next few months pan out and hopefully if a degree of normality develops, will take the plunge.

17 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I pished on the Vatican steps one night after finding the toilets closed.

Not my proudest moment. (or was it?)

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

👍tops mine…….well done.

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Check this out…….

Start early retirement in December, day before 63rd birthday .. done 45 years at same place .. that's plenty. Looking forward to the future

23 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I stayed in South Beach, Miami, a couple of years ago and loved it. It is very touristy as you say, especially down on Ocean Drive.

We got an Uber from South Beach to Hard Rock Stadium while we were there and it went through some pretty rough areas though, so much so that I made sure the doors were definitely locked and was hoping the driver wouldn't get held up in a traffic jam!