VAR proposed for Scotland

August Landmesser

I'm not particularly against VAR, and it should be a great addition to the game, but the way it's used constantly means it's absolute dogshite.  Some rules should also be tidied up to make VAR easier to manage, instead of making it more difficult.  If a player is 1mm offside with their forehead, they should not be offside (I still maintain offside should be from where the feet are, regardless of the rest of the body).    It would be great if it was used for a handful of things:

Coupled with Goal-line technology to check a goal should stand for whatever reaon.

Check if a player was offside (but within a reasonable time, not calling back things that happened 30 seconds before).

Confirm penalty decisions, especially if it was actually inside the box.
Red card checks and in the event of mistaken identity by the ref.

The decision should also be shown on a screen in the stadium, in real time, so everyone can see what the referee is seeing.   This might stop some of the god-****ing-awful decisions that we see week in, week out with VAR.

What I don't want up here is GAR, which it will inevitably turn into.  "Oh, you scored a 91st minute equaliser at Parkhead or Ibrox, did you?  It's a shame you were 0.1 microns offside 3 minutes ago in the build up. "

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

43 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Not against VAR in principal but I don't like the way it is implemented.  For me it should work like in tennis and be at the request of the teams.

A set number of challenges per match and if you wrongly challenge then you lose one.  If you want to challenge a throw in going the wrong way or a wrongly awarded corner then you can.

I also think they should change the offside rule so that if any part of the attacker is in line with any part of the defender then it's onside.  This kneecap or big toe being 2cm in front of the defender is ridiculous if you are micro analysing everything.

I like this idea.  2 or 3 challenges per game, otherwise you let the game flow like it would have without VAR.  What would happen though is teams who haven't used their challenges, using them all at the end to waste time so there needs to be some sort of using them in bad faith rule, where teams are punished if they start VAR'ing throw ins in the 94th minute.

Offsides should be nice and simple - in line with the feet.  If the attacker's forehead is offside, but his feet are in line with the defender, there is no real advantage there as they both still need to move their feet to get to the ball.  Draw a line, and if the attacker's foot is in front of the defender, they are offside. 

If they are bang in line with each other , and a specified width of VAR line cannot be used to immediately distinguish if they are offside or not, then they are not.  Give the attacking team the benefit of the doubt, instead of the way the defending team get 2 bites at it just now (can be called offside in play, or called back for offside if the goal is scored).

Don't want the game stopped for any reason never mind to challenge decisions.

VAR works very well when implemented properly, I like the way it's being used in the EPL this season. Trust the on field referee and only get involved when absolutely necessary.

Can the on field referees be trusted in Scotland, it's a no from me. Get that part right first.

10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I like this idea.  2 or 3 challenges per game, otherwise you let the game flow like it would have without VAR.  What would happen though is teams who haven't used their challenges, using them all at the end to waste time so there needs to be some sort of using them in bad faith rule, where teams are punished if they start VAR'ing throw ins in the 94th minute.

Offsides should be nice and simple - in line with the feet.  If the attacker's forehead is offside, but his feet are in line with the defender, there is no real advantage there as they both still need to move their feet to get to the ball.  Draw a line, and if the attacker's foot is in front of the defender, they are offside. 

If they are bang in line with each other , and a specified width of VAR line cannot be used to immediately distinguish if they are offside or not, then they are not.  Give the attacking team the benefit of the doubt, instead of the way the defending team get 2 bites at it just now (can be called offside in play, or called back for offside if the goal is scored).

Be like ruby. VAR calls and the clock stops dead. Re-starts after decision is made. Stop the time wasting bassas!

Byyy The Light
31 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Agreed. I'm sure you could do something. Like other poster said stop the clock and not allow claims that are not contentious like someone boots the ball out with nobody near them and then makes a claim.

You could also just give them 1 claim a half, they aren't going to use it unless they are very sure they have been wronged.

3 hours ago, Homme said:

Pinched this from another forum. 

Anything that adresses the clear bias / cheating that goes on in our country with regards to the way some teams are treated compared to others is welcome.

Of course you need the VAR officials not to be biased, cheating arseholes as well.

gn20.png

A table like that comes out every year or so…and always shows the same bias. 

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Not against VAR in principal but I don't like the way it is implemented.  For me it should work like in tennis and be at the request of the teams.

A set number of challenges per match and if you wrongly challenge then you lose one.  If you want to challenge a throw in going the wrong way or a wrongly awarded corner then you can.

I also think they should change the offside rule so that if any part of the attacker is in line with any part of the defender then it's onside.  This kneecap or big toe being 2cm in front of the defender is ridiculous if you are micro analysing everything.

Tennis has moved beyond that to having sensors call the ball out immediately in pretty much every tournament now. 
You can ask see a replay but there are no challenges as such  

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Tennis has moved beyond that to having sensors call the ball out immediately in pretty much every tournament now. 
You can ask see a replay but there are no challenges as such  

Fair enough but principal applies.  Let the person who may feel wronged make the call, not someone sitting at a computer.  Hopefully let the game flow as it does now as much as possible.

17 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Fair enough but principal applies.  Let the person who may feel wronged make the call, not someone sitting at a computer.  Hopefully let the game flow as it does now as much as possible.

Tennis has natural breaks in it between points anyway.  Football should flow more. 

VAR =GTF 

Byyy The Light
11 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Tennis has natural breaks in it between points anyway.  Football should flow more. 

VAR =GTF 

Pretty sure the gap between points and football stopping for freekicks/corners/goalkicks isn't that much different.

I'd rather have no VAR if it's like it is in England so we can agree on that.  Just hate the feeling of leaving games being completely shafted like Maloney getting Takis sent off, Miko incident, Jamie Walker dives and things like this...

If we had the ability to make the ref watch it again then surely that's a good thing?

1 hour ago, Byyy The Light said:

Pretty sure the gap between points and football stopping for freekicks/corners/goalkicks isn't that much different.

I'd rather have no VAR if it's like it is in England so we can agree on that.  Just hate the feeling of leaving games being completely shafted like Maloney getting Takis sent off, Miko incident, Jamie Walker dives and things like this...

If we had the ability to make the ref watch it again then surely that's a good thing?

No. Spoils the game even if its for you. 

We are still talking about hand of god plus the thumb's free kick and Frank lampard goal in 2010 wc. 

Be crap of those things had effectively never happened. 

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Var would have stopped this gem. 

Still. Its correct to be given.. But that's football. 

1886413025_NotIn.jpg.58b21ab3527ac80187c9b7e6d12987ab.jpg

Nah, goal line technology would though

55 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Var would have stopped this gem. 

Still. Its correct to be given.. But that's football. 

1886413025_NotIn.jpg.58b21ab3527ac80187c9b7e6d12987ab.jpg

I keep seeing this being posted as an example of an incorrect refereeing decison but I really don't know what people think they are seeing here.

Never a goal. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

I keep seeing this being posted as an example of an incorrect refereeing decison but I really don't know what people think they are seeing here.

Never a goal. 🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Nah, goal line technology would though

Yea. But still this is something that will be talked about in years to come. It wouldn't be had it been corrected. 

• 1 month later...