VAR proposed for Scotland

August Landmesser

5 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm in favour of goaline technology but not VAR. 

Me too.

My initial thoughts are,  in England it showed how good match officials are but was being used to over rule in the most ridiculous way/smallest of margins (Jotas goal for Wolves at Anfield disallowed because he has 2cm offside - hardly a "clear & obvious mistake"). 

In Scotland the standard is so poor I can see demands for VAR to be introuduced along cricket lines eg 3 challenges because Scotland needs much more improvment than just deciding whether it's a penalty or offisde at a goal as officals are so poor. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

6 hours ago, 1953 said:

VAR, if worked properly, makes sure that the big decisions are correct so I'm all for it. 

I'm with you on that.  However, VAR if worked improperly, as it has been to a large extent, means that absolutely marginal incidents are pored over for several minutes, with lines being drawn across a pitch to decide if someone's big toe is offside.

The original concept behind VAR was to eliminate clear and obvious errors, not as it has seemingly become to try and get every single marginal decision correct, and even then you'll have people debating whether it was correct or not. 

I've always been in favour of imposing a time limit on VAR.  Say 30 seconds, or maybe at most 60 seconds to allow for multiple angles of view.  If you can't decide in that time, then by definition it's not a clear and obvious error, so you go with the ref's decision.

Will be fine but only if we get a reciprocal agreement with another country on the provision of VAR officials. OF toadies from Greater Glasgow  can do Belgian or similar games no problem but not Scottish ones...

Edited by Spellczech

think this will be good for the refereeing in our game it'll give referees in this country a better chance at getting major tournaments and European games as there are currently only two referees in Scotland that are trained in var. also think it'll potentially wipe out a lot of stupid decisions and potentially cut out biased decisions that benefit the old firm.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Information has been available in England after games about the reasoning behind decisions. Don't expect that in Scotland. 

Like the two penalties Ronaldo should have had v West Ham, missed by VAR. 

51 minutes ago, jambocall51 said:

think this will be good for the refereeing in our game it'll give referees in this country a better chance at getting major tournaments and European games as there are currently only two referees in Scotland that are trained in var. also think it'll potentially wipe out a lot of stupid decisions and potentially cut out biased decisions that benefit the old firm.

It will have the opposite sadly, its the refs that control it and its set up to protect the refs, so dodgy penalty given away to old firm - not clear and obvious safety blanket. 

Some 50/50 tackle, pulled back from VAR to send non old firm player off.  It would be a shambles.

20 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

If we can do whatever we can to get this into the bin, then let's do it. A dogshit concept.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58765745

Scottish Premiership clubs will meet next week to discuss the introduction of VAR for all top-tier matches and latter rounds of cup competitions.

The Scottish FA and SPFL will co-host a video conference from Hampden on 8 October.

Howard Webb, who refereed the 2010 World Cup final, will deliver a presentation on the technology.

The SFA is prepared to underwrite the training costs for match officials.

"VAR is here to stay and in a short period its implementation has advanced significantly, while its set-up and maintenance costs have reduced," said SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell.

"We are now at the point where we need to discuss and ideally agree on its introduction into Scottish football."

VAR was written into the Laws of the Game by the International Football Association Board in 2018 and used at the World Cup in the same year.

It was used throughout the delayed Euro 2020 finals, including the four matches played at Hampden Park, and is deployed in nearly 50 leagues across the world.

"Now that there has been a meaningful bedding-in period in several leagues, it is a good time to look again at the benefits of the technology," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"We are keen to hear the views of the clubs, officials and fans and look forward to discussions over the next few months."

If Doncaster has any input, it'll resemble a sketch artist with a pencil and notebook.......!

7 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

It will have the opposite sadly, its the refs that control it and its set up to protect the refs, so dodgy penalty given away to old firm - not clear and obvious safety blanket. 

Some 50/50 tackle, pulled back from VAR to send non old firm player off.  It would be a shambles.

Yeah that could happen. In serie A juventus have had a lot more decisions giving against them since var got put in place so you never know

15 hours ago, stirlo said:

For goal line technology and offside I'm in favour but in the case of penalties only where the referee has made a very clear error in awarding a penalty. The worst effect of VAR has been to intervene to award lots of really soft penalties - which just spoils the game.  

Thats where I’m at. 

If the public can see the footage the VAR official sees then at least it would lay bare any bias. Not that it will change anything of course. 

Thing is that it is. It always the big decisions that give certain teams an advantage, it is a succession of small errors that ultimately give them the advantage and these would never be reviewed. 

16 hours ago, a11ank said:

One thing it should sort out is the predominace to lose footing in the opposition box whilst wearing a hibs top?

that will be hard when its a hibee ex referee thats been asked to do  the job already

16 hours ago, a11ank said:

One thing it should sort out is the predominace to lose footing in the opposition box whilst wearing a hibs top?

that will be hard when its a hibee ex referee thats been asked to do  the job already

Seymour M Hersh

Bent SFA referees on the pitch will be supported by bent SFA referees in a building in Glasgow. If the referees operating VAR were not Scottish or even British I'd be all for it otherwise it will be more of the same and so no thanks.

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Thing is that it is. It always the big decisions that give certain teams an advantage, it is a succession of small errors that ultimately give them the advantage and these would never be reviewed. 

Therein lies the truth, especially with the Bigot Brothers.

It reached its peak with the referees during the SFA Miko campaign in just about every match.

21 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

I'm fully on board with goal-line tech - that works, and is instant.

VAR though? What a lot of shite - ruins the spontaneity of goal celebrations, takes the fun out the game, and ultimately it still relies on a ref making a choice

Just watch perfectly good goals v the uglies get chopped off because somebody's nose was offside. Goal line tech: Yes VAR: can GTF.

SFA/SPFL should use the VAR facilities being used in England.  No need to build our own.

part_time_jambo

If we had VAR this season, Rangers would be 3 points worse off due to their offside goals being disallowed. Maybe.

Edited by part_time_jambo

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

SFA/SPFL should use the VAR facilities being used in England.  No need to build our own.

You'd still need cameras (decent ones) at all relevant games. 

But having seen a pic of the 2nd penalty, that linesman should be sacked. How he didn't spot the keeper off his line....

August Landmesser

Scotland could be a 'football backwater' without VAR - Andrew McKinlay - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58774664

Seems as though we can't rely on the club to oppose it. 

Honestly who gives a **** if Scottish refs are on the FIFA list or not? We already have a few on it, and they're still shite. John Beaton and Kevin Clancy are FIFA refs ffs.

Edited by August Landmesser
typo

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Scotland could be a 'football backwater' without VAR - Andrew McKinlay - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58774664

Seems as though we can't rely on the club to oppose it. 

Honestly who gives a **** if Scottish refs are on the FIFA list or not? We already have a few on it, and they're still shite. John Beaton and Kevin Clancy are FIFA refs ffs.

Clancy? Feck me, I hadn't realised FIFA standards dropped that low. Deary me. Wouldn't want either of them in the VAR room under any circumstances.

30 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

VAR may have overturned our second penalty yesterday.

Maybe. Certainly would have been retaken with goalkeeper well off the line. 

I'd be supportive of it if I had confidence that the officials were competent enough to use it effectively, but I can't help but think that all the wrong calls would be for the non-OF teams rather than being a leveller for officials ineptitude. 

I’m not a fan of var, especially when they use it to look for offences in the run up to a ‘goal’, but I feel it’s inevitable. 

Lone Striker
On 01/10/2021 at 16:58, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Understand the scepticism BUT videos of VAR calls will be public so even if it starts as being west coast bias it won’t stay that way for long due to public scrutiny.

I don’t have the same scepticism.

Scottish football needs VAR. Over time it will be beneficial to non-OF teams. I guarantee that.

Agree with that.   Refs will have fewer places to hide if the VAR decisions continue to show OF bias.   Scottish football has enough foreign owners now to kick up a fuss about it.    15 years ago our mad Russian chap was on his own, and the media just laughed at him.   Different now.

Been to a VAR game in England and it's pish when they review an goal. Fans seem to half celebrate a goal and then half celebrate it again when it's allowed. 

9 hours ago, viva hate said:

Been to a VAR game in England and it's pish when they review an goal. Fans seem to half celebrate a goal and then half celebrate it again when it's allowed. 

Exactly. 

10 hours ago, viva hate said:

That's my biggest concern.  If you lose that moment of jubilation when the ball hits the net then what's the point.  

Phil D. Corners

I thought the use of VAR in the euros was quite good. Also in Bundesliga. 

The way EPL utilises it is a poor. 

• 2 weeks later...
Hagar the Horrible

VAR installed and Managed properly the OF will be about 9 to 10 points worse off a season. The closer wr get to being a threat the more noticeable the decisions start to go against us. Dodgy sending offs before we play them etc. Mikos 4 sending offs etc.

My only issue with VAR is that its not always the big decisions that cost us. Its the hundreds of small ones. Especially when ypu are pn top. Returning the ball back to them. Every 50/50 that VAR never checks. But if it is done right. Only the OF will suffer........so it has to be non Scottish Refs

Bring it in. It will go against us, but it will also go for us. And if there's blatant cheating, it will expose it to the world. 

Pinched this from another forum. 

Anything that adresses the clear bias / cheating that goes on in our country with regards to the way some teams are treated compared to others is welcome.

Of course you need the VAR officials not to be biased, cheating arseholes as well.

gn20.png

8 minutes ago, Homme said:

Anything that adresses the clear bias / cheating that goes on in our country with regards to the way some teams are treated compared to others is welcome.

Of course you need the VAR officials not to be biased, cheating arseholes as well.

gn20.png

Thing is, VAR won't fix this.  In fact it may make it worse... bear with me while I go a bit tinfoil here.

I said on another thread that over and above the obvious giving them penalties, offside goals etc, what really kills me against the OF is the small stuff.  A foul against our CF for nothing when we've gained a wee foothold, which gives them back possession and takes our rare pressure off them.  A throwin the wrong way on the halfway line.  Their defenders being allowed to climb on our forwards, but ours being penalised.  Our guy booked for descent, while theirs all scream at the ref.  All this shit adds up.

None of this shit gets picked up by VAR.  With refs in theory less able to gift them big decisions, watch all of that sky rocket.

I'm not sure my thoughts on VAR.  I'm a bit of a luddite in general and what I like about Scottish football is that it's still REAL.  Would prefer we didn't go down this route.  That said, our refs are soooooo bad, if this improves on-field decisions, then maybe just maybe.  All depends who is in the booth - can this be someone truly independent???

Also, the big thing, which is hard, is making our officials professional.  Difficulty is so many of them are on good wages outwith football PLUS picking up a fulltime wage from football too.  It's also something of a short career, so there are many hurdles without huge budget.  This is all part of Doncaster et al not bringing enough money in to our game.

The Old Tolbooth

I've actually seen Celtic fans moaning about it saying they would get even less decisions than they already do, you couldn't make that shit up, they really are a special kind of stupid that mob! 

The Old Tolbooth
43 minutes ago, Homme said:

gn20.png

I'm actually shocked at the Rangers figures (unless the table was made by one of them of course which wouldn't shock me) because they used to be on a par with Celtic's, and it's everything that's wrong and biased about our corrupt little league.

On 01/10/2021 at 23:45, Cruyff said:

Like the two penalties Ronaldo should have had v West Ham, missed by VAR. 

Were they not given because he is a diving shitebag?

On 01/10/2021 at 15:57, August Landmesser said:

I'm fully on board with goal-line tech - that works, and is instant.

VAR though? What a lot of shite - ruins the spontaneity of goal celebrations, takes the fun out the game, and ultimately it still relies on a ref making a choice

Without VAR Scotland would have no hopes of finishing 2nd in our qualifying group.

No penalty v Austria

2nd goal chopped off v Israel

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I've actually seen Celtic fans moaning about it saying they would get even less decisions than they already do, you couldn't make that shit up, they really are a special kind of stupid that mob! 

It's frightening isn't it!!!!

August Landmesser
16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Without VAR Scotland would have no hopes of finishing 2nd in our qualifying group.

No penalty v Austria

2nd goal chopped off v Israel

And without VAR Scotland Women would've made it into the knockout stages at the 2019 WC - decisions go both ways, but the process of reaching those decisions with VAR is shite. I don't see that it's worth obliterating the fun from watching live football, for the sake of a TV audience

Just now, August Landmesser said:

And without VAR Scotland Women would've made it into the knockout stages at the 2019 WC - decisions go both ways, but the process of reaching those decisions with VAR is shite. I don't see that it's worth obliterating the fun from watching live football, for the sake of a TV audience

Funny, that was first thing that popped in to my head.  The VAR decisions against Scotland and the ones that weren't looked at which should have been for us, were a bit of an eye opener for me.  It was in its infancy and had a bit of a feeling of amateurs doing a pro job cos it was "only the women's world cup" and you could see lots of the officials were out of depth, but then we won't have pros doing it either....

Byyy The Light

Not against VAR in principal but I don't like the way it is implemented.  For me it should work like in tennis and be at the request of the teams.

A set number of challenges per match and if you wrongly challenge then you lose one.  If you want to challenge a throw in going the wrong way or a wrongly awarded corner then you can.

I also think they should change the offside rule so that if any part of the attacker is in line with any part of the defender then it's onside.  This kneecap or big toe being 2cm in front of the defender is ridiculous if you are micro analysing everything.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Were they not given because he is a diving shitebag?

Nah, both were pens. The second one was a stonewaller, the boy halved him. 

InternationalJambo
2 hours ago, Homme said:

gn20.png

That’s damming. Wow.