VAR proposed for Scotland

August Landmesser

August Landmesser

If we can do whatever we can to get this into the bin, then let's do it. A dogshit concept.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58765745

Scottish Premiership clubs will meet next week to discuss the introduction of VAR for all top-tier matches and latter rounds of cup competitions.

The Scottish FA and SPFL will co-host a video conference from Hampden on 8 October.

Howard Webb, who refereed the 2010 World Cup final, will deliver a presentation on the technology.

The SFA is prepared to underwrite the training costs for match officials.

"VAR is here to stay and in a short period its implementation has advanced significantly, while its set-up and maintenance costs have reduced," said SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell.

"We are now at the point where we need to discuss and ideally agree on its introduction into Scottish football."

VAR was written into the Laws of the Game by the International Football Association Board in 2018 and used at the World Cup in the same year.

It was used throughout the delayed Euro 2020 finals, including the four matches played at Hampden Park, and is deployed in nearly 50 leagues across the world.

"Now that there has been a meaningful bedding-in period in several leagues, it is a good time to look again at the benefits of the technology," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"We are keen to hear the views of the clubs, officials and fans and look forward to discussions over the next few months."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• Mikey1874

• Smoked-Glass

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

Horatio Caine

VAR based in Glasgow, a west of Scotland ref with the same shortcomings as all the other refs.  The same nit picky excuses brought out for disallowing non OF goals.  Great.  Can't wait.

Edit: yes I can wait.

Edited by Horatio Caine

August Landmesser

I'm fully on board with goal-line tech - that works, and is instant.

VAR though? What a lot of shite - ruins the spontaneity of goal celebrations, takes the fun out the game, and ultimately it still relies on a ref making a choice

I have no idea of the additional expense this will piut on our game, but in theory I'm all for it.

However, year on year our officials get worse and worse. I literally have no faith in them to administer VAR effectively.

If EPL have issues with the abundance with money, where do our incompetents to go with this plan.

Yours already demoralised,

TB

Jambo na hÉireann

If this took important refereeing decisions out of the game, and placed them in the hands of effective AI tech, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't. It just gives referees more time to come to ridiculous conclusions. 

9 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's going to happen eventually, might as well accept that fact. 

Think this is true . Plus point is the operation of VAR seems a whole lot better now than previously

VAR has improved a lot recently (esp Euros) and is now used in a wide variety of sports at the top level.

Would also suggest that the constant interpretation and changing of the rules i.e. hand ball/offside/phase of play over the last couple of years has not helped the referees much, and has lead to a delay in decisions being made.

There are significant benefits to the game when using VAR,  such as diving has all but been eliminated, players no longer abusing referees on the pitch and a reduction in the number offsides (helps game flow).

It's going to come and the sooner we accept it the better.   

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Celtic, Rangers and Hibs have benefitted from dodgy decisions that VAR (in theory) would’ve overturned.

I’m all for it if it helps to reduce the impact of Scottish refs old firm bias.

For goal line technology and offside I'm in favour but in the case of penalties only where the referee has made a very clear error in awarding a penalty. The worst effect of VAR has been to intervene to award lots of really soft penalties - which just spoils the game.  

I'm not keen on it but it has to be implemented up here. Refs up here are absymal and need calling out.

That said I don't have any confidence those reviewing VAR would be much better!

jambo-in-furness

If this comes in it will only be a “clear and obvious” error is when if favours the Uglies.

Boyces beard

I can imagine the GFA all chomping at the bit to award one of the bum cheeks a penalty because Beni farted in the direction of one of there players while the corner was being taken.

wont change a thing imho

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Understand the scepticism BUT videos of VAR calls will be public so even if it starts as being west coast bias it won’t stay that way for long due to public scrutiny.

I don’t have the same scepticism.

Scottish football needs VAR. Over time it will be beneficial to non-OF teams. I guarantee that.

Celtic and Rangers will knock this back. They are the biggest beneficiaries of incorrect or "missed decisions" 

The only issue would be if we mess it up like the EPL did last year. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

VAR has been horrendous. Get it to ****. If anything it will give them even more decisions than they already get. 

Typical insular Scottish attitude.

We need change, modernisation and innovation in many areas of Scottish football - unfortunately for you moving forward all top pro leagues will have VAR so get used to it buddy.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, luckydug said:

I'm in favour of goaline technology but not VAR. 

But but but it could be biased in favour of the old firm and our goal in the Cup Final could have been voided by the Weedgie gang….

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Typical insular Scottish attitude.

We need change, modernisation and innovation in many areas of Scottish football - unfortunately for you moving forward all top pro leagues will have VAR so get used to it buddy.  

Absolute pish. English fans hate VAR. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Understand the scepticism BUT videos of VAR calls will be public so even if it starts as being west coast bias it won’t stay that way for long due to public scrutiny.

I don’t have the same scepticism.

Scottish football needs VAR. Over time it will be beneficial to non-OF teams. I guarantee that.

:rofl:Replays are public ya plonker. 

"Now that there has been a meaningful bedding-in period in several leagues, it is a good time to look again at the benefits of the technology," said SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"We are keen to hear the views of the clubs, officials and couldn't gave a shiny shite what the fans think and look forward to discussions over the next few months."

Fixed that for him.

Ex member of the SaS

Never mind VAR how about linesmen raise the flag for an off side, rather than waiting until the ball is in the net?

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

I'm fully on board with goal-line tech - that works, and is instant.

VAR though? What a lot of shite - ruins the spontaneity of goal celebrations, takes the fun out the game, and ultimately it still relies on a ref making a choice

completely agree. Seen it in action down here and it sucks the life from the game.

Unfortunately I suspect the ship has sailed and it's only a matter of time before it is foisted on us, that being the case at the very least I'd like to know that in another break from tradition that it is free from bias or favour.

1 hour ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

If this took important refereeing decisions out of the game, and placed them in the hands of effective AI tech, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't. It just gives referees more time to come to ridiculous conclusions. 

pretty much sums up my feelings 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
48 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:rofl:Replays are public ya plonker. 

Not in the same way that VAR is and you know it. 

Ya plonker 🙄

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

VAR, if worked properly, makes sure that the big decisions are correct so I'm all for it. 

'if worked properly' 

In England currently it only changes 'clear and obvious mistakes' so for example clear penalties don't get given if they think the referee couldn't see it properly. 

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

For goal line technology and offside I'm in favour but in the case of penalties only where the referee has made a very clear error in awarding a penalty. The worst effect of VAR has been to intervene to award lots of really soft penalties - which just spoils the game.  

The worst effect currently in England is that clear penalties aren't given. 

Hard boiled eggs and nuts

Have long since lost any interest in the EPL, VAR extinguished any remaining flicker of interest for me. For the armchair fan and pundits to froth over. All for the game progressing, but this is awful! 

6 minutes ago, Hard boiled eggs and nuts said:

Have long since lost any interest in the EPL, VAR extinguished any remaining flicker of interest for me. For the armchair fan and pundits to froth over. All for the game progressing, but this is awful! 

Ditto, it became ridiculous when they started calling offsides because a players toenail is over the line and giving pens because the balls it someone's pinky. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ditto, it became ridiculous when they started calling offsides because a players toenail is over the line and giving pens because the balls it someone's pinky. 

Exactly Cruyff, this isn’t about seeing football  “ in days gone by” through rose tinted specs, this will ultimately destroy/ruin the game for the paying pundit, VAR is not for their benefit.

Edited by Hard boiled eggs and nuts

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's the use of VAR rather than VAR itself tho. 

I'm all for it if it was used the same way it was in the euros. 

It's also happening anyway, so we may as well get on board with it. 

It also creates another issue in terms of the part time clubs and their status as pro clubs. 

It might eventually lead to 2x ft leagues and then regionals. 

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

That's the use of VAR rather than VAR itself tho. 

I'm all for it if it was used the same way it was in the euros. 

It's also happening anyway, so we may as well get on board with it. 

It also creates another issue in terms of the part time clubs and their status as pro clubs. 

It might eventually lead to 2x ft leagues and then regionals. 

I agree it will happen eventually, unfortunately, but to the detriment of the level playing field we currently enjoy in the game we have, to appease the modern day glitz, glamour and razzmatazz fanboys/ girls, press, sky tv brigade etc etc, detrimental to the origins of the simple game, a real shame for this old dinosaur.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

:wtfvlad:

A replay is shown after the match and may be used to criticise the ref but always has the excuse “he didn’t get to see this replay at the time”

With VAR the replays are shown in real time with the specific purpose of a decision being reviewed. They are also shown in real time (during televised matches at least).

Point being refs aren’t accountable during the game for replays in Scottish games but would be re VAR replays so they are not at all the same thing.

Do you get it now?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

It all depends on how they implement it.

Going by England none of the controversial decisions last weekend would have been changed. 

I’m not a fan of VAR at all. The idea of waiting before properly celebrating a goal detracts from the enjoyment.

But regardless of your views on it, the notion of introducing it up here (at vast expense) where we don’t even have full time refs and top flight teams play on fake pitches, seems a bit daft. Particularly when we keep hearing how little spare cash there is in Scottish football.

Captain Canada

I really don't want VAR in Scotland. Almost every week in England they still get decisions badly wrong and it's only as good as the person sitting in a studio somewhere who will also be biased no doubt! 

Referees make mistakes but I don't think the majority are as bad these days as the times of Dallas, Valentine and Syme etc. 

49 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A replay is shown after the match and may be used to criticise the ref but always has the excuse “he didn’t get to see this replay at the time”

With VAR the replays are shown in real time with the specific purpose of a decision being reviewed. They are also shown in real time (during televised matches at least).

Point being refs aren’t accountable during the game for replays in Scottish games but would be re VAR replays so they are not at all the same thing.

Do you get it now?

Incorrect because not every decision missed goes to VAR but those decisions would be seen by the public via a replay, thus making no difference whatsoever whether or not referees are more or less accountable. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Incorrect because not every decision missed goes to VAR but those decisions would be seen by the public via a replay, thus making no difference whatsoever whether or not referees are more or less accountable. 

Information has been available in England after games about the reasoning behind decisions. Don't expect that in Scotland.