Q&A With Joe Savage

TurboT

Mods - I started a new topic so the Q&A didn't get lost in the HMSA thread.  Please merge if not ok.

There were 32 questions asked at the meeting last night and I enclose the first 18.  I'll get the rest added later today.  Apologies for any spelling mistakes or errors as my short hand isn't gret.

Q1 – Can you give us a brief resume of your job at Hearts

JS – My job covers the full football operation, from the recruitment and analysis to the medical side, the woman’s team and the academy and I enjoy all aspects of the work.

Q2 -You’ve been been the Sporting Director at Hamilton Accies, Norwich & Preston North End, what attracted you to Hearts?

JS – At PNE, I felt I was ready to take the next step up and at the time our daughter was 4.5 years old and would be starting school soon and my wife was pregnant.  In addition my wife is a deputy head teacher and there were more opportunities in Scotland for her and we decided it was the right time to move back to Scotland.  I’m from Carfin near Motherwell and we’d lived in England for 7 years and felt it was the right time to move back to Scotland.

When I cam to Hearts I didn’t realise just how big the club is and how fanatical the fans are which is brilliant and my aim is to win the league and I firmly believe we are capable of winning the league.

Q3- The youth academy looks great and we hear positive things, however, very few players have come through to the first team and been a regular (Hickey aside), why is that?

JS – I’m not going to be disrespectful to what went on previously at Hearts, I don’t care.  My job is to look forward and to change it to make it better.  The pandemic killed the academy for a year as players couldn’t do anything.

Not having a reserve league isn’t great either and I think that’s the way forward, however, only Hibs, Accies, Killie and Morton wanted a reserve league so it was a non starter.

Finlay Pollock played a few games earlier in the season but it’s hard to jump from youth football to the first team and that’s where a reserve league would help.

At the Cas Tournament, we won the under 13s & 14s and got to the final of the 16s and our 15s are also in the final so the future looks bright.

I was told when I joined that the academy isn’t good enough, but I haven’t seen that, we’ve got some great players and coaches and just need the right guidance.

We the coaches and the fans demand that we win every week, regardless of who we play and the players need to get that mentality.

Q4 – IS there a clear path for an 18 year old player to go from the U18s to the first team?

JS – Players develop at different ages and the current set up isn’t great.  Craig Gordon didn’t make his debut at Hearts until he was 19 and could have been lost to the system.  A reserve league is crucial having competitive games with players not playing every week like Walker, McEnuff mixed in with youth team players.

Q5 – Do youth players get too molly coddles and do long term contracts make them more complacent?

JS – Yes, for him it’s a two year maximum contract regardless of how good the player is, none of these 4 year deals.  I’ve spoken to lots of parents and told them this is how it works regardless of how good the player is.  Young players need to realise that just because they’ve got a two year pro deal at Hearts doesn’t mean they’ve made it.

Q6- Gordon, Souttar and Halkett all have their contracts up in the summer, are we discussing new deals with them?

JS – I think it’s great that they want to stay and the way we’ve started the season really helps but I’m not rushing and not concerned.  We are speaking to Souttar and Gordon about new deals and we will speak to Halkett as well.  Ideally I see Gordon here for the long term as a player and then coach as he’d a brilliant player and a Hearts fan. 

Robbie and I speak about it regularly and at the moment nobody can speak to these players so we’re not concerned.

Q7 – Where do you think we need to strengthen most?

JS – Central defence & Attack, Boycie is 30 and we need cover there and we’ve got a couple of defenders out of contract in the summer, I feel we’re ok in midfield.  You’re always looking for better though regardless of who you have, you may not want to replace a player or be looking to replace a player but if someone better comes along and you can get them then we will.  That’s football.

Q8 – It’s been a good start and with a  touch of luck we could have won all our games, can we win the league?

JS – 100% yes, I’m not just pandering to you but I genuinely believe that’s what we should be aiming for.  If you aim to finish 4th, 5th or 6th then you’ll finish there.  If you aim to win the league you never know and especially this year when the old firm don’t look as good as previous seasons and there’s two champions league places.

Q9 – If we beat Motherwell and Rangers & Hibs draw, it would be great if Doncaster called the league early.

JS – There’s history of that 😊

Q10 – We’ve made some good signings, how does the scouting work?

JS – It’s not all about me, it’s a department, we got George Brown from Rangers and Will Landsfield from Southampton and these guys are great.  The players we’ve signed Beni, Woodburn, Devlin, we know about them but it’s a case of can we sign them? 

We’ve created a welcome video showing off Edinburgh, Tynecastle the Oriam etc to really sell Hearts to them.  We’re also happy to blow smoke up them to make them believe just how much we want them. 

We use the data now a lot more than before, George Brown crunched the numbers and came with a list of 6 players that met our needs and we all agreed that Devlin was the one.

Beni had two years on loan at the Championship and rarely played, I told him he didn’t want to drop to League One as it’s a rat race down there and Hearts was the best destination for him and was able to sell Hearts to him.  It’s all early days but it’s started well.

Q11 – How are the medical team involved these days?

JS – The performance department are excellent, they monitor all the players and their outputs so we can ensure that they aren’t being pushed too far where they’ll pick up injuries.  Touch wood we’ve had no major injuries, Souttar was out at the weekend but that was precautionary and will be back soon. 

Q12 – Do you & Robbie sit down together to agree on players?

JS – Yes, but Robbie will always have the final say on a player.  He’s the one that has to work with them every day.  I could recommend a player and really like him but if Robbie doesn’t then he would win as it’s his decision on who plays each week.

Q13 – What areas did you feel needed improvement on arrival at Hearts?

JS – Recruitment, the academy, we’ve few players at the moment in the first team but are working on it.  The ladies team, I was at the game last night and it was great and I’m looking forward to helping them improve also.

Ultimately there wasn’t a massive amount wrong at Hearts when I came in and just needed some tweaks and minor changes.  Levein took Hearts to two cup finals and it was unfortunate that we came up against a very good Celtic team both times.

Q14 – Describe your views on loan signings and are there any demands that we should play them etc?

JS – We’ve got three loan players and Liverpool demand that we play Woodburn but we came to an agreement with them.  Brighton saw us a great place for Cochrane to play football and that was the same for Bristol City and Taylor Moore.  We did try to get all three on permanent deals but couldn’t so a loan was the next best thing. 

Cochrane for example believes he’s good enough to play in the Brighton first team and that’s great for us as it means he’s giving 100% to achieve that. 

We don’t want to loan out players, we’d rather see them playing in a reserve league as some of the teams only train twice a week and don’t play the same style as us.  We do try to ensure they we loan players out to teams that will suit them but we can’t force teams to pick them once they are there.

Q15 – The attitude of the players coming in seems good?

JS – I always say, ability will get you in the door, but it’s your attitude and work ethic that will keep you there and you need to put everything on the line for the club.

Q16 – What’s your thoughts on pre-contracts?

JS – It’s good if you can get them, however, ideally it’d be players from abroad.  In Scotland if you sign a player on a pre-contract and they’re still playing for the club that they’ll be leaving it’s not a great situation for them.  I’d look to keep the deal secret if I could until the end of the season to benefit everybody.  It is a good market for us though as we don’t have vast amounts of money to spend.

Q17 – What is the view of Scottish football in England?

JS – They don’t care, see it as a tin pot league with a few big games a season involving the old firm.  It made me more of a Scot when I was down there defending Scottish football.  We say to them that we love to beat you and they just don’t care, they don’t see Scotland as their rivals.  They’re a big nation and expect to qualify for all tournaments where as we don’t.

Q18 – Do you thin Steve Clarke and Scotland can qualify for the world cup?

JS – Steve Clarke has a system that works and makes us hard to beat.  We underperformed at the Euros, I was at the Croatia game and it was poor, they looked like they had an extra man.  It’ll be typical Scotland, we’ll beat the Faroes & Israel, lose to Moldova and need to beat Denmark who’ll have won 9 out of 9 to get a play off spot 😊

11 minutes ago, TurboT said:

Mods - I started a new topic so the Q&A didn't get lost in the HMSA thread.  Please merge if not ok.

There were 32 questions asked at the meeting last night and I enclose the first 18.  I'll get the rest added later today.  Apologies for any spelling mistakes or errors as my short hand isn't gret.

Q1 – Can you give us a brief resume of your job at Hearts

JS – My job covers the full football operation, from the recruitment and analysis to the medical side, the woman’s team and the academy and I enjoy all aspects of the work.

Q2 -You’ve been been the Sporting Director at Hamilton Accies, Norwich & Preston North End, what attracted you to Hearts?

JS – At PNE, I felt I was ready to take the next step up and at the time our daughter was 4.5 years old and would be starting school soon and my wife was pregnant.  In addition my wife is a deputy head teacher and there were more opportunities in Scotland for her and we decided it was the right time to move back to Scotland.  I’m from Carfin near Motherwell and we’d lived in England for 7 years and felt it was the right time to move back to Scotland.

When I cam to Hearts I didn’t realise just how big the club is and how fanatical the fans are which is brilliant and my aim is to win the league and I firmly believe we are capable of winning the league.

Q3- The youth academy looks great and we hear positive things, however, very few players have come through to the first team and been a regular (Hickey aside), why is that?

JS – I’m not going to be disrespectful to what went on previously at Hearts, I don’t care.  My job is to look forward and to change it to make it better.  The pandemic killed the academy for a year as players couldn’t do anything.

Not having a reserve league isn’t great either and I think that’s the way forward, however, only Hibs, Accies, Killie and Morton wanted a reserve league so it was a non starter.

Finlay Pollock played a few games earlier in the season but it’s hard to jump from youth football to the first team and that’s where a reserve league would help.

At the Cas Tournament, we won the under 13s & 14s and got to the final of the 16s and our 15s are also in the final so the future looks bright.

I was told when I joined that the academy isn’t good enough, but I haven’t seen that, we’ve got some great players and coaches and just need the right guidance.

We the coaches and the fans demand that we win every week, regardless of who we play and the players need to get that mentality.

Q4 – IS there a clear path for an 18 year old player to go from the U18s to the first team?

JS – Players develop at different ages and the current set up isn’t great.  Craig Gordon didn’t make his debut at Hearts until he was 19 and could have been lost to the system.  A reserve league is crucial having competitive games with players not playing every week like Walker, McEnuff mixed in with youth team players.

Q5 – Do youth players get too molly coddles and do long term contracts make them more complacent?

JS – Yes, for him it’s a two year maximum contract regardless of how good the player is, none of these 4 year deals.  I’ve spoken to lots of parents and told them this is how it works regardless of how good the player is.  Young players need to realise that just because they’ve got a two year pro deal at Hearts doesn’t mean they’ve made it.

Q6- Gordon, Souttar and Halkett all have their contracts up in the summer, are we discussing new deals with them?

JS – I think it’s great that they want to stay and the way we’ve started the season really helps but I’m not rushing and not concerned.  We are speaking to Souttar and Gordon about new deals and we will speak to Halkett as well.  Ideally I see Gordon here for the long term as a player and then coach as he’d a brilliant player and a Hearts fan. 

Robbie and I speak about it regularly and at the moment nobody can speak to these players so we’re not concerned.

Q7 – Where do you think we need to strengthen most?

JS – Central defence & Attack, Boycie is 30 and we need cover there and we’ve got a couple of defenders out of contract in the summer, I feel we’re ok in midfield.  You’re always looking for better though regardless of who you have, you may not want to replace a player or be looking to replace a player but if someone better comes along and you can get them then we will.  That’s football.

Q8 – It’s been a good start and with a  touch of luck we could have won all our games, can we win the league?

JS – 100% yes, I’m not just pandering to you but I genuinely believe that’s what we should be aiming for.  If you aim to finish 4th, 5th or 6th then you’ll finish there.  If you aim to win the league you never know and especially this year when the old firm don’t look as good as previous seasons and there’s two champions league places.

Q9 – If we beat Motherwell and Rangers & Hibs draw, it would be great if Doncaster called the league early.

JS – There’s history of that 😊

Q10 – We’ve made some good signings, how does the scouting work?

JS – It’s not all about me, it’s a department, we got George Brown from Rangers and Will Landsfield from Southampton and these guys are great.  The players we’ve signed Beni, Woodburn, Devlin, we know about them but it’s a case of can we sign them? 

We’ve created a welcome video showing off Edinburgh, Tynecastle the Oriam etc to really sell Hearts to them.  We’re also happy to blow smoke up them to make them believe just how much we want them. 

We use the data now a lot more than before, George Brown crunched the numbers and came with a list of 6 players that met our needs and we all agreed that Devlin was the one.

Beni had two years on loan at the Championship and rarely played, I told him he didn’t want to drop to League One as it’s a rat race down there and Hearts was the best destination for him and was able to sell Hearts to him.  It’s all early days but it’s started well.

Q11 – How are the medical team involved these days?

JS – The performance department are excellent, they monitor all the players and their outputs so we can ensure that they aren’t being pushed too far where they’ll pick up injuries.  Touch wood we’ve had no major injuries, Souttar was out at the weekend but that was precautionary and will be back soon. 

Q12 – Do you & Robbie sit down together to agree on players?

JS – Yes, but Robbie will always have the final say on a player.  He’s the one that has to work with them every day.  I could recommend a player and really like him but if Robbie doesn’t then he would win as it’s his decision on who plays each week.

Q13 – What areas did you feel needed improvement on arrival at Hearts?

JS – Recruitment, the academy, we’ve few players at the moment in the first team but are working on it.  The ladies team, I was at the game last night and it was great and I’m looking forward to helping them improve also.

Ultimately there wasn’t a massive amount wrong at Hearts when I came in and just needed some tweaks and minor changes.  Levein took Hearts to two cup finals and it was unfortunate that we came up against a very good Celtic team both times.

Q14 – Describe your views on loan signings and are there any demands that we should play them etc?

JS – We’ve got three loan players and Liverpool demand that we play Woodburn but we came to an agreement with them.  Brighton saw us a great place for Cochrane to play football and that was the same for Bristol City and Taylor Moore.  We did try to get all three on permanent deals but couldn’t so a loan was the next best thing. 

Cochrane for example believes he’s good enough to play in the Brighton first team and that’s great for us as it means he’s giving 100% to achieve that. 

We don’t want to loan out players, we’d rather see them playing in a reserve league as some of the teams only train twice a week and don’t play the same style as us.  We do try to ensure they we loan players out to teams that will suit them but we can’t force teams to pick them once they are there.

Q15 – The attitude of the players coming in seems good?

JS – I always say, ability will get you in the door, but it’s your attitude and work ethic that will keep you there and you need to put everything on the line for the club.

Q16 – What’s your thoughts on pre-contracts?

JS – It’s good if you can get them, however, ideally it’d be players from abroad.  In Scotland if you sign a player on a pre-contract and they’re still playing for the club that they’ll be leaving it’s not a great situation for them.  I’d look to keep the deal secret if I could until the end of the season to benefit everybody.  It is a good market for us though as we don’t have vast amounts of money to spend.

Q17 – What is the view of Scottish football in England?

JS – They don’t care, see it as a tin pot league with a few big games a season involving the old firm.  It made me more of a Scot when I was down there defending Scottish football.  We say to them that we love to beat you and they just don’t care, they don’t see Scotland as their rivals.  They’re a big nation and expect to qualify for all tournaments where as we don’t.

Q18 – Do you thin Steve Clarke and Scotland can qualify for the world cup?

JS – Steve Clarke has a system that works and makes us hard to beat.  We underperformed at the Euros, I was at the Croatia game and it was poor, they looked like they had an extra man.  It’ll be typical Scotland, we’ll beat the Faroes & Israel, lose to Moldova and need to beat Denmark who’ll have won 9 out of 9 to get a play off spot 😊

Interesting answers. I couldn’t make it last night as I had agreed to another event Will be there next month though. 

Rick Sanchez

Could we not do what Rangers do and have a reserve team play the other willing parties in Scotland, as well as English reserves or under 20's?

Appreciate the post and definitely deserves a topic of it's own, looking forward to the other 14.

Loving the way Savage is speaking and approaching everything at the moment.

Edited by AppleTarts

The Old Tolbooth

I reckon he's the reason for our upturn in fortunes, I love the way he talks as well, such confidence and nothing is an issue to him, we're lucky to have such a professional in our ranks! 

scott herbertson

Thanks for typing up and posting this. A lot of work but much appreciated.

Love his attitude and what he is saying.

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks for posting OP. JS has so much optimism and enthusiasm that is bound to rub off on others. I love listening to him and when he says he wants to win the league, it isnt airy fairy stuff. He has started well and long may it continue. 

SuperstarSteve

Love hearing we want to aim for a league title. To quote Ricky Bobby.. If your not first, your last. Granted I’ll not be believing a title win is a possible until we are seconds away from it happening even then I’d have to pinch myself. 

AlphonseCapone
49 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I reckon he's the reason for our upturn in fortunes, I love the way he talks as well, such confidence and nothing is an issue to him, we're lucky to have such a professional in our ranks! 

Agree. Other teams might chuckle at saying we're aiming to win the league but why the hell are we doing this if we don't at least aim for that. We're one of a small number of clubs that could pull off a Leicester up here.

Love JS honesty too. 

Here are the remaining 14 questions:

Q19 – Do you think that because Steve Clarke managed in England that he commands more respect there?

JS – People in England don’t care about Scotland, we’ve now got a lot of top players in the National Team playing for the top clubs in England and they’re passionate about their country and they’ll hear the way people talk down Scotland and will want to perform to prove them wrong.

Q20 – Lots of teams these days sign and release 10 – 15 players every year, is it possible to keep a consistent team these days?

JS – Ideally that’s what you’d want to do but it’s not easy.  Usually when there are huge turnover of players it’s because of a change of manager and the new guy wants his players.  Working in the market we do you often can’t offer long contracts and its one or two year deals.

In League one and League 2 in England it’s a regular occurrence that there will be a dozen players in and out as they chase the dream of the Championship and Premiership as the money there is unreal with a minimum of £100m plus parachute payments, but only last week you saw what happened to Derby chasing this dream.

Q21 – The recruitment policy seems to be similar to Brentford and uses a lot of analytics, is that something we are doing?

JS – We don’t set out to copy anyone, we use the KPIs like a lot of clubs.  Ideally we’d get more players from the academy, however, we’ll look at League 1 & 2 players, Premier League Reserve players anyone we think would fit in.

Ideally if players look at us and look to get 70-80 games over a couple of seasons and then if we can sell them on for a decent profit that would be great.  We don’t want to be a selling club but that’s the reality and Brentford are a club that have done this well and reinvested the money they make wisely.

When looking at players nowadays there’s so much info, a player could have 98% pass accuracy but does he always pass back take or take the easy option or is he a player that can break the lines?  Identifying players is often the easy part but getting them to sign is hard and another club can come along and offer an extra £5k a week and you’re like fair enough.  Woodburn was almost done and then Klopp changed his mind and we had to wait a few more weeks to get the deal done, these things happen.

Q22 – What’s your views on fan ownership?

JS – It’s brilliant for us. 

Norwich City have fan ownership but it’s slightly different with Delia & Michael owning them and they do a great job, however, struggle in the EPL as they don’t have a huge war chest or owners that can invest heavily but you’ll hear them speaking about being in the top 24/26 clubs in England and finishing 16th or 17th in the EPL would be great for them.

Fan ownership at Hearts is wonderful and it’s been great, except for QoS and Brora but I believe that every setback paves the way for a comeback and I’d love to get Brora again as we’d destroy them, I guarantee it!

Q23 – What’s your views on plastic pitches?

JS – Shouldn’t be in the top league.  Livingston have lost once to Celtic out of the last 7 games at home and even though Celtic have plastic pitches at Lennoxtown it obviously benefits Livingston. 

But it can be an earner for smaller clubs, at Accies, all the age groups trained at the stadium which was great, they got to use the same changing rooms as the first team and Hearts, Rangers, Celtic etc which was a buzz for them.

When we played QoS, Robbie said that the pitch was poor and we could struggle whereas they train on it all week, it has odd bounces and for some players it can play on their minds if they’ve had injuries due to the pitch.

Who am I to say that teams shouldn’t have plastic pitches, but I just don’t think they should be in the top league.

Q24 – What do you think of the Tynie pitch?

JS – Brilliant pitch and should be with the money we spent on it, the ground staff are great but they don’t like us training on it.  You hear the groundsman on a Friday speaking about the pitch “She doesn’t like being trained on” 😊

Q25 – Would you want the old firm out of our league and move to England?

JS – Well we’d win the league a hell of  a lot but I can’t see it happening as nobody wants them.  There’s the argument about Cardiff & Swansea but I can’t see it.  Plus it’s brilliant when you beat them, I’d love to win the league beating them both in the process.

Q26 – What’s your thoughts on a midweek North Atlantic league against Danish / Scandinavian teams?

JS – Could be more money and may be interesting, we tried it with the Ramsden cup where we invited Irish & Welsh teams but wasn’t a huge success.

Q27 – How have things changed in football with regards to mental health?

JS – Much better and always looking to improve.  We have a club doctor who can help but some players are guarded and you don’t know what’s going on with them behind closed doors. 

There’s so many issues, split with wife, mum dies, the kids are ill but we can’t let the fans know this and they get on the players back but often don’t know what’s going on.  Often players rely on their families for childcare etc and it can be hard when things change.

Cammy Devlin was buzzing when he came over, but during the international break wasn’t the same and it was because all the player were away or with their families so I invited him to mine for dinner and another guy at the club took him out and now they’re good mates.

Q28 – Campbell Ogilvie suggested that we should have someone to help the wives and girlfriends as it’s a big change for them, what’s your thoughts?

JS – In England these are player liaison officers and are great.  Here we’ve got Claire Cowan who does all this and is brilliant at setting up bank accounts sorting out NI Numbers etc and does all she can to help them.

When a player joins the club we tell them that Claire and Janine Brown (who does the contracts) are the two most important people at the club and you better not fall out with them 😊

Claire knows all the players, wives, and their kids and looks out for them all.

Q29 – The old firm have a B team in the lower league, is this an option for us?

JS – With no reserve league, then yes this is something we would look to enter as it would give players proper games.

Q30- Did you play at a decent level?

JS – Yes, Accies, East Fife, East Stirling and a good few others.  I was passed about the lower leagues 😊.  I was lazy as a footballer and should have done better.  

I’ve worked hard to get to where I am and you reap the rewards.  My wife isn’t happy as I was at the game last night, here tonight and at a game tomorrow but that’s what the job requires.

Q31- What’s your thoughts on dementia in football?

I’m doing a course with the English FA and I’m doing a presentation on heading the ball. It worries me as I played for years and headed the ball thousands of times and don’t know what the impact is.

I could see in 10 – 15 years time, heading being banned and it was trialed at a game down south recently.  Take Halkett, he’ll head the ball 15-20 times a game and needs to do that as a centre half but we’ve no idea of the side effects.

Q32 – Who was your best signing.

JS – Tony Andreu for Hamilton Accies, we signed him in the Championship and his birthday was the same day as me but 6 years younger. 

We played Hibs in the play off and lost 2-0 at home with Cummings scoring two and after the game he was interviewed and said how easy it was like opening a can of beans!  That was all the  motivation we needed and we beat them 2-0 with Tony scoring with a few mins to go, we should have won the game in normal or extra time but it went to pens and we won with Cummings missing a penalty.

Anyway, Cummings was sitting crying in the dugout and one of our players threw him a can of beans 😊.

Thanks for that. Great post of all the questions and answers. No easy feat! 👍

Said it before, and I’ll say it again. I honestly think JS has been, and will continue to be a revelation for us 

32 minutes ago, TurboT said:

Anyway, Cummings was sitting crying in the dugout and one of our players threw him a can of beans 😊.

Absolute gold!

Lone Striker

Thanks @TurboT   Great reading his views.  Whoever identified Joe for us deserves a big vote of thanks.    After reading his comments about Cumdog, some JKB posters might hopefully stop suggesting we sign him.  😀

1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Love hearing we want to aim for a league title. To quote Ricky Bobby.. If your not first, your last. Granted I’ll not be believing a title win is a possible until we are seconds away from it happening even then I’d have to pinch myself. 

Exactly none of this happy to finsih in the top six nonsense.

There is no doubt the club are in a better place by far with this guy on board.

Like his style.

He doesn't give a **** what anybody thinks.

1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

We all pinched ourself in disbelief in 1998 every minute until the final whistle after Stephan Adam scored that peach ... maybe we will get another chance to pinch ourselves at something we once thought would be impossible after falling short in 1986 (that still feckin hurts me.. I so still hate Dundee FC)

Thanks for posting the questions and answers Turbo T. 

Wonderful words and level of ambition from Joe. Tired of reading on here from certain posters that if you want to see success then go watch another team. 

Let’s have a real go! 

Cheers Turbo, that was great. He’s such an asset to our club… kind of makes me think he’s taking a fair bit of pressure/work off Robbies shoulders… and letting him get on with coaching the team. All the pieces seem to be falling into place 🤞

Thoroughly enjoyable read, thanks for taking the time to post TurboT

I’ve just got this feeling we’re on the cusp of something very very special, good times ahead HHGH

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Love his honesty and transparency let alone his desire and obvious ability at his job.

Should possibly have left the bit about blowing smoke up new potential signings asses out though 🤔😂

As the new catchphrase goes:

We should enjoy him while we can…

Worthing Jambo

Great stuff from Mr Savage👍
As others have said, he and his team could be our best signings.

I’m sure though that his ambition must unsettle a few on here mind!😂

4 hours ago, TurboT said:

Q25 – Would you want the old firm out of our league and move to England?

JS – Well we’d win the league a hell of  a lot but I can’t see it happening as nobody wants them.  There’s the argument about Cardiff & Swansea but I can’t see it.  Plus it’s brilliant when you beat them, I’d love to win the league beating them both in the process.

Some really interesting stuff but this was my favourite answer! Thanks for taking the time to post all this. 

That was a great read. Really insightful stuff. Love his ambition with aiming for winning the league. Nice story about helping Devlin settle in too. Savage is a really honest sounding guy who knows his stuff. There’s no nonsense with him and he tells it like it is. We are in safe hands these days. Things are looking as good as they ever had in my 45 years supporting Hearts. Very exciting times. 

Thanks TF for another great effort. I missed this on Friday and just remembered you said you'd do this. Very interesting and so positive. Cheers.