The Eagles

Morgan

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I guess they were one of these bands that you either loved, or hated.

I loved them and still do.

Joe Walsh was epic

10 Memorable Movie Taxi Scenes | EW.com

I'm with The Dude on this one. I've never been forcibly-ejected from a taxi as a consequence, however.  :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to listen to country-rock that isn't bland*, may I suggest Gram Parsons / The Flying Burrito Brothers or Sweetheart of the Rodeo by The Byrds?

(*Or even, dare I say, Creedence Clearwater Revival!)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Love the eagles, one of their CDs in the car at the moment.

The Complete Greatest Hits.

lyin eyes is a superb track.

2 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Why would anyone 'hate' the Eagles?  

I don't hate them but they just don't do it for me.  Tried to give gram parsons a bash as well and just a bit soft for me.  

Like that west coast sound like the Byrds etc but the eagles etc are too country.  

2 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

10 Memorable Movie Taxi Scenes | EW.com

I'm with The Dude on this one. I've never been forcibly-ejected from a taxi as a consequence, however.  :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to listen to country-rock that isn't bland*, may I suggest Gram Parsons / The Flying Burrito Brothers or Sweetheart of the Rodeo by The Byrds?

(*Or even, dare I say, Creedence Clearwater Revival!)

CCR are brilliant. John Fogerty is a great songwriter.

10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

CCR are brilliant. John Fogerty is a great songwriter.

They sure are / were, and he sure is!  :icon14:

I stayed in a hotel in Anaheim a few years ago.  It was a nice hotel, but the background music they played in the bars and restaurants was non-stop Eagles.

The odd thing is, I was able to check out OK, but the doors were all locked so I couldn't leave.

True story .... maybe!

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I stayed in a hotel in Anaheim a few years ago.  It was a nice hotel, but the background music they played in the bars and restaurants was non-stop Eagles.

The odd thing is, I was able to check out OK, but the doors were all locked so I couldn't leave.

True story .... maybe!

😄:clap:

31 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

True story .... maybe!

:clap: 

That’s the spirit.

You haven’t had that since nineteen sixty nine.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

:clap: 

That’s the spirit.

You haven’t had that since nineteen sixty nine.

And still those voices are calling from far away.

56 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

And still those voices are calling from far away.

They wake me up in the middle of the night.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Don Felder was the better guitarist. 

Joe isn't my favourite guitarist, but he was a larger than life character .. and it's debatable who was the best between the two

Edited by hmfc_steve

I can remember reading the Sunday Post way back in 1973. It was a piece called the Honest truth. It was a pipe major being asked the questions.

He was asked who is the best musician you have ever met?

His answer. Joe Walsh of the American rock band the Eagles. The reason he gave was that he taught him how to play the Rowan Tree on the bagpipes in just 24hrs. That's what Joe played when coming on stage at their first concert.

The Eagles along with Supertramp are one of my favourite bands. Love the track. Life in the fast lane.

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks! Was trying to remember Gram Parson's name the other day. Was belting through a load of songs that reminded me of old girlfriends and couldn't remember his name! Could be a bottle of vino and Apple Music night again tomorrow night at Casa Jonesy.

:fonzie:   Always happy to help!   

39 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The Eagles along with Supertramp are one of my favourite bands. Love the track. Life in the fast lane.

A great track on a great album.

I was staying at the Mandalay Bay years ago and the resident band played this. There wasn't much of a vibe and the lead singer asked if anyone knew the song or the original artist. Cue mass shaking of heads. Band looked like they wanted to walk off. 

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

I g

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

uess they were one of these bands that you either loved, or hated.

Me too. I'll always be an Eagles fan. It annoys me when people act like Hotel California was their only hit.

Lone Striker
19 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Don Felder was the better guitarist. 

tbf, they're both amazing guitarists.    I saw an interview with JW a while back when he said that he missed not having DF alongside him, because they used to show off to one another on stage about their riffs etc.   It's amazing that that JW is still alive, given his lifestyle.

Didn't they  move away from their style of "country rock" when they gave Bernie Leadon a free transfer ? 

Eagles are definitely one of the greatest of all time - fantastic range of music they've produced over the years.    Some of it is quite simple but very catchy at the same time.    I didn't discover them till the mid 70s, but have loved them ever since.      Great music from Henley & Frey when they went solo too.

13 hours ago, Sylvia89 said:

Me too. I'll always be an Eagles fan. It annoys me when people act like Hotel California was their only hit.

Yes, I agree with that.

To be honest, I have Hotel California quite far down on my list of favourite Eagles tracks.  I much prefer their early songs.

Started off as a decent enough country rock type band working with the likes of Jackson Brown and then gradually slipped into dreadful 1970's MOR. 

So it's a no from me. 

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

tbf, they're both amazing guitarists.    I saw an interview with JW a while back when he said that he missed not having DF alongside him, because they used to show off to one another on stage about their riffs etc.   It's amazing that that JW is still alive, given his lifestyle.

Didn't they  move away from their style of "country rock" when they gave Bernie Leadon a free transfer ? 

Eagles are definitely one of the greatest of all time - fantastic range of music they've produced over the years.    Some of it is quite simple but very catchy at the same time.    I didn't discover them till the mid 70s, but have loved them ever since.      Great music from Henley & Frey when they went solo too.

They are both great but in the context of the Eagles, Don Felder was the guy that composed the music to Hotel California and the guy that created that solo. 

Auld Reekin'

Regarding Hotel California, here's one someone else prepared (much) earlier*...   :whistling:

(*We Used To Know, Jethro Tull, from the album Stand Up, released in 1969. The similarities - entirely coincidental, of course - between this song and Hotel California (from the Eagles' album of the same name, released in 1977) are truly uncanny. Uncanny but, as I said, entirely coincidental... No, no... they really are. No, honestly. :thumbsup:)

38 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Regarding Hotel California, here's one someone else prepared (much) earlier*...   :whistling:

(*We Used To Know, Jethro Tull, from the album Stand Up, released in 1969. The similarities - entirely coincidental, of course - between this song and Hotel California (from the Eagles' album of the same name, released in 1977) are truly uncanny. Uncanny but, as I said, entirely coincidental... No, no... they really are. No, honestly. :thumbsup:)

I've never listened to Jethro Tull tbh, so never heard that before or known about it. Tull's is in E minor so I'm guessing that's why the Eagles moved it up to the 7th fret and played (almost) the same chords in B minor :lol:

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I've never listened to Jethro Tull tbh, so never heard that before or known about it. Tull's is in E minor so I'm guessing that's why the Eagles moved it up to the 7th fret and played (almost) the same chords in B minor :lol:

Hmmm... :huh2:   You could be on to something y'know.  :thumbsup:

I think there's a video of an interview with Ian Anderson - the singer and main songwriter in JT - elsewhere on YouTube, where he likens Hotel California to a "tribute" to We Used To Know, in the same way that the Thai "rollex" he was wearing was a "tribute" to a well-known and highly-renowned maker of precision Swiss watches! Apparently The Eagles supported Jethro Tull on a US tour some years before Hotel California was written and released; coincidentally, WUTK happened to be on Tull's set-list for these shows. :whistling:

Some of Jethro Tull's early stuff is worth a listen if you're interested in exploring late-60s and early-70s British blues / folk rock. :icon14:  No doubt you've got better things to do though! :ermm:

William H. Bonney

Take it to the limit is my favourite eagles song. I’ve never seen them, but I have seen the illegal eagles play. 

Jamstomorrow
8 hours ago, micole said:

There is no other band Like the Eagles,  harmony,great songs ,great musicianship, they had the lot ,I loved them.

This.   Saw them in concert on Sky Arts I think it was, a week or so ago.  Might be repeated with any luck.

Francis Albert

The Illegal Eagles is an excellent tribute band which has just embarked on a UK tour including Dundee and Glasgow at the end of this month and Lanark and Dunfermline later in a long tour.  I am not suggesting it is worth making a long trip to see a tribute band but if you are a fan and in the area worth considering. They are on at our local theatre this week and enjoyed them a few years back enough to go again.

Saw the real thing at Wembley many years ago and it was a great show but  enjoyed the good fake in a small venue better than watching remote miniature figures in the stadium.

Edited by Francis Albert

Horatio Caine

I shouldn't really like the Eagles as I'm not a fan of C&W.  However, I love them!  Some really great songs, eg Peaceful easy feeling, Lyin' eyes etc  and, as said already, their harmonies are very pleasing.

Edited by Horatio Caine

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

This.   Saw them in concert on Sky Arts I think it was, a week or so ago.  Might be repeated with any luck.

Recorded that to my Tivo box along with Supertramp in Paris and Fleetwood Mac in Boston. All on Sky Arts channel

16 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I hadn’t heard the Jethro Tull song before. The similarities are extraordinary. I wonder why Anderson didn’t go down the court route and make even more millions for himself. Unless, of course, his own song was so obviously lifted from something else that he knew it wouldn’t stick. Great spot, sir.

Btw: I’m not a huge fan, but their gig at the Usher Hall in around 1975 - or whenever they started touring again after the Passion Play hissy fit - was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Absolutely fantastic.

Auld Reekin'
16 minutes ago, leginten said:

I hadn’t heard the Jethro Tull song before. The similarities are extraordinary. I wonder why Anderson didn’t go down the court route and make even more millions for himself. Unless, of course, his own song was so obviously lifted from something else that he knew it wouldn’t stick. Great spot, sir.

Btw: I’m not a huge fan, but their gig at the Usher Hall in around 1975 - or whenever they started touring again after the Passion Play hissy fit - was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Absolutely fantastic.

Aye well, in rock, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, blues, soul, and country, almost everyone has “borrowed” extensively from what’s gone before, so this is just another example, I suppose.

Jazz is a bit different as many jazz musicians incorporate a lot of “standards” into their repertoire, but put their own interpretations on them. Many jazz players also reference other musical works within their solos; Jimi Hendrix also did this quite often. 

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Aye well, in rock, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, blues, soul, and country, almost everyone has “borrowed” extensively from what’s gone before, so this is just another example, I suppose.

Jazz is a bit different as many jazz musicians incorporate a lot of “standards” into their repertoire, but put their own interpretations on them. Many jazz players also reference other musical works within their solos; Jimi Hendrix also did this quite often. 

I guess the chord sequence in itself may not be entirely original. But even the guitar solos have a very Hotel California sound.

I remember hearing a Frank Black song from his very good Fast Man, Raider Man album and thinking that the chord sequence bordered on genius. Years later I discovered the music was actually by Fauré. (This is no doubt acknowledged in the sleeve notes, which I never saw.)

3 hours ago, leginten said:

I guess the chord sequence in itself may not be entirely original. But even the guitar solos have a very Hotel California sound.

I remember hearing a Frank Black song from his very good Fast Man, Raider Man album and thinking that the chord sequence bordered on genius. Years later I discovered the music was actually by Fauré. (This is no doubt acknowledged in the sleeve notes, which I never saw.)

If it was from Fauré it wouldn’t need to be credited as classical music is past copyright date. There’s a Maroon 5 song which is a complete copy of Pachalbel’s canon. 

6 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Eagles supported Jethro Tull in 1971. Definately would have heard We Used to Know.

Ian Anderson's said it's the same chord sequence, but doesn't feel it's been plagarised..takes it as sincere flattery iirc.

Auld Reekin'
55 minutes ago, felix said:

Eagles supported Jethro Tull in 1971. Definately would have heard We Used to Know.

Ian Anderson's said it's the same chord sequence, but doesn't feel it's been plagarised..takes it as sincere flattery iirc.

Very magnanimous of him!  :thumbsup:

Bert Jansch could probably have sued the asses off Led Zep and would've had very strong grounds for doing so (as would numerous black, American, blues artists), but decided not to as he was skint, relatively speaking anyway. Same story with many other writers and musicians I suspect.

3 nights in a row she’s had it on

Been on for an hour tonight but I’m going through for chocolate in a minute and will be putting it off without telling her.  

She will probably click on within a couple of hours that it’s off 

26 minutes ago, theshed said:

3 nights in a row she’s had it on

Been on for an hour tonight but I’m going through for chocolate in a minute and will be putting it off without telling her.  

She will probably click on within a couple of hours that it’s off 

Wild guess but this should be on the heating thread?

Auld Reekin'
12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Wild guess but this should be on the heating thread?

Unless theshed's missus is a big Eagles fan - although one whose attention wavers and sometimes drifts-off altogether due to the bland tedium emanating from the speakers - and he is not? That's my theory anyway. :thumbsup:

Edited by Auld Reekin'