Iron blue 40th celebrations

Bluesy1874

Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum. Mods move if need be.

As has been mentioned a few times on here we have a an annual trip to Germany made up of Hearts and Schalke fans, the fan group is approaching their 40th anniversary and they are looking to celebrate this in Edinburgh.

Our friend Michael who organises our trips to Germany would like to contact someone from club directly.

I looked on the Hearts website for contact details but it is just a generic leave your name and email and we will get back to you. 

If anyone could provide us with contact details for someone at the club that would be much appreciated and I will pass the information on. It would be really helpful to have a point of contact.

IMG-20200508-WA0006.jpg

12 hours ago, sadj said:

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Is @Locky in that picture?

I sure am in that photo guys. Standing next to Superman. 😎 

Hoping to try and get something special arranged for when the Germans come over. Always thought it would be great to maybe arrange to have them come onto the park at half time and chat a bit about them and they're support for HMFC. I got to do just that at the Veltins Arena a few years ago and it was incredible.

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Hoping to try and get something special arranged for when the Germans come over. Always thought it would be great to maybe arrange to have them come onto the park at half time and chat a bit about them and they're support for HMFC. I got to do just that at the Veltins Arena a few years ago and it was incredible.

Maybe send Scott Wilson a PM on Facebook and ask if he could facilitate this?

32 minutes ago, Walter Payton said:

Maybe send Scott Wilson a PM on Facebook and ask if he could facilitate this?

That's a good shout as well actually. In fairness, the anniversary isn't until 2023 so we're talking a bit away still. But the Germans like to be very organised so think they're just looking to touch base with someone early enough so that when the time comes we've got a good connection with someone at the club.

28 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

How did this start? 

The IronBlue Heidelberg group were part of the travelling support at the Schalke game in 2004 at Murrayfield, and just totally fell in love with Edinburgh and the history of Hearts since then. I first spoke with Michael via Facebook back in 2014, and he invited me over for a match at the Veltins Arena. Similarly, I just got totally taken in by Gelsenkirchen and Schalke and have went back every year pre-Covid for at least one match.

Through myself and others coming, like @Bluesy1874 and @trago13, we've set up our own wee IronBlue Edinburgh branch.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

The IronBlue Heidelberg group were part of the travelling support at the Schalke game in 2004 at Murrayfield, and just totally fell in love with Edinburgh and the history of Hearts since then. I first spoke with Michael via Facebook back in 2014, and he invited me over for a match at the Veltins Arena. Similarly, I just got totally taken in by Gelsenkirchen and Schalke and have went back every year pre-Covid for at least one match.

Through myself and others coming, like @Bluesy1874 and @trago13, we've set up our own wee IronBlue Edinburgh branch.

I assumed that would have been the connect but the OP says it's been going fkr 40 years?

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I assumed that would have been the connect but the OP says it's been going fkr 40 years?

The original fan club was formed in 1983. They've been travelling all over Germany and Europe to watch Schalke for since then so it's their anniversary. But they want to spend the anniversary in Edinburgh and come to a Hearts game, so just looking to try and make it a bit special for them if we can.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

The original fan club was formed in 1983. They've been travelling all over Germany and Europe to watch Schalke for since then so it's their anniversary. But they want to spend the anniversary in Edinburgh and come to a Hearts game, so just looking to try and make it a bit special for them if we can.

Gotcha. OP read as though IronBlue had been going for 40 years.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

IronBlue Heidelberg has. Just the Edinburgh branch and the Hearts connection came much later.

35 minutes ago, Locky said:

IronBlue Heidelberg has. Just the Edinburgh branch and the Hearts connection came much later.

Great stadium at Schalke. Watched a World Cup match there in 2006. 

I’m more a Hannover 96 man though. 😄

Had a pint with 5 of them in the roseburn bar after the murrayfield game when they made us aware of them also being 'denied' the league title in the last few minutes and they were really good guys.  

One even gave a phone number and said if ever in their area to give him a shout.  

An excellent bunch of guys.

Also thought their support were brilliant that night.   Just danced and sang all the way through the game.

Good on you for keeping a connection with them.  

17 hours ago, Bluesy1874 said:

As has been mentioned a few times on here we have a an annual trip to Germany made up of Hearts and Schalke fans, the fan group is approaching their 40th anniversary and they are looking to celebrate this in Edinburgh.

Our friend Michael who organises our trips to Germany would like to contact someone from club directly.

I looked on the Hearts website for contact details but it is just a generic leave your name and email and we will get back to you. 

If anyone could provide us with contact details for someone at the club that would be much appreciated and I will pass the information on. It would be really helpful to have a point of contact.

IMG-20200508-WA0006.jpg

Might be worth speaking or writing an email to [email protected] or call her on 01312007244.

She deals with hospitality and if she can't help you directly then she may be able to tell you someone who can assist.

Hope this helps.

8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Had a pint with 5 of them in the roseburn bar after the murrayfield game when they made us aware of them also being 'denied' the league title in the last few minutes and they were really good guys.  

One even gave a phone number and said if ever in their area to give him a shout.  

An excellent bunch of guys.

Also thought their support were brilliant that night.   Just danced and sang all the way through the game.

Good on you for keeping a connection with them.  

We had a great pre match session with a group of Schalke lads in the Station Tavern. From about 3pm, iirc. Although I probably don't. 🍺 🍻 🥴

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Might be worth speaking or writing an email to [email protected] or call her on 01312007244.

She deals with hospitality and if she can't help you directly then she may be able to tell you someone who can assist.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much I will pass the details to Michael and hopefully we can arrange something special for the occassion.

1 minute ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Thank you very much I will pass the details to Michael and hopefully we can arrange something special for the occassion.

No problem hope they get something sorted.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Apologies I should have made that clear. 

On 29/09/2021 at 18:41, Bluesy1874 said:

IMG-20200508-WA0006.jpg

Why are there Schalke fans 300Km from Gelsenkirchen ? 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I guess the same reason there are Hearts fans 300Km and further from Gorgie. You just feel a connection with a club sometimes.

8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Well in the case of a few of them they're actually from the Rhein/Ruhr area but moved down for work or whatever.

Suppose you could also question why there's a York Hearts for example.

Das Viertel Hearts
4 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'm only 296 Km from Tynecastle by road.  I feel inadequate 😟

Not at all!!! Using the metric system for measurement of distance is all that really matters in this new fangled 21st century!!! 😀

7 hours ago, Locky said:

Well in the case of a few of them they're actually from the Rhein/Ruhr area but moved down for work or whatever.

Suppose you could also question why there's a York Hearts for example.

Just curious - I've met Bayern fans from  Paderborn so I get that even Germans don't necessarily support their local team. 

Das Viertel Hearts
5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Just curious - I've met Bayern fans from  Paderborn so I get that even Germans don't necessarily support their local team. 

Glory hunting is the technical term for that.  Rife in some countries. 

On 30/09/2021 at 08:13, Locky said:

You’re a fine looking lad then Locky. Not as nice as the dame second from the right though.

• 2 weeks later...
Das Viertel Hearts

New Schalke third shirt very very gorgeous maroon colour!!! More maroon than many of the Hearts shirts we've seen over past 30 odd years!!!  My work colleague a Schalke season ticket holder said that this deep red/maroon was the original founding colour ...plus a yellow trim

Ordered for son ... arrived looks great quality but Large size is actually quite small??!!  So will have to enter the world of pain and hurt that is returning a product!!! 😬

Heidelberg is still on my German bucket list.

Is there a specific bar in the town where these guys meet/congregate ?

On 10/10/2021 at 17:50, Das Viertel Hearts said:

New Schalke third shirt very very gorgeous maroon colour!!! More maroon than many of the Hearts shirts we've seen over past 30 odd years!!!  My work colleague a Schalke season ticket holder said that this deep red/maroon was the original founding colour ...plus a yellow trim

Ordered for son ... arrived looks great quality but Large size is actually quite small??!!  So will have to enter the world of pain and hurt that is returning a product!!! 😬

It is indeed maroon! But not dark enough for me to be reminiscent of a classic Hearts shirt and, the amber trim and sponsor logo ruins it - it would work well for Motherwell FC …

Das Viertel Hearts
On 11/10/2021 at 23:42, Jambo-Fox said:

It is indeed maroon! But not dark enough for me to be reminiscent of a classic Hearts shirt and, the amber trim and sponsor logo ruins it - it would work well for Motherwell FC …

Many of the Hearts kits across past 30 years were more watery wine coloured than maroon.  Unfortunately.

Only a very few past muster in that regard.

On 11/10/2021 at 18:50, Midloth_Iain said:

Heidelberg is still on my German bucket list.

Is there a specific bar in the town where these guys meet/congregate ?

Not regularly tbh mate. While the fan club bears the Heidelberg name, the fans are scattered all across the Baden-Wurttemberg region. A couple of the members parents run a hotel/restaurant in Odenheim, which tends to be the congregation for the Christmas do and stuff, but Odenheim is really just a village in the middle of nowhere. 

34 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not regularly tbh mate. While the fan club bears the Heidelberg name, the fans are scattered all across the Baden-Wurttemberg region. A couple of the members parents run a hotel/restaurant in Odenheim, which tends to be the congregation for the Christmas do and stuff, but Odenheim is really just a village in the middle of nowhere. 

Thanks Locky

The Hogfather

I'd quite like to take in a game in Germany and Schalke seems as good a team as any, with the Hearts connection. But Gelsenkirchen doesn't seem that easy to get to, when you compare it to Berlin or Munich.

Doctor FinnBarr
23 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I'd quite like to take in a game in Germany and Schalke seems as good a team as any, with the Hearts connection. But Gelsenkirchen doesn't seem that easy to get to, when you compare it to Berlin or Munich.

Oh, it is mate. Not far from Cologne or Dusseldorf airports. Dusseldorf Weeze however might be a bit further.

12 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

Not too difficult mate. Direct flights from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf, and it's about 45 minutes by train from there. I usually stay in Dusseldorf whenever I do the trip. No real point to stay in Gelsenkirchen itself unless its just for convenience on matchday. But your match ticket covers you to travel to Dusseldorf for free on the day of the game anyway.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Not too difficult mate. Direct flights from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf, and it's about 45 minutes by train from there. I usually stay in Dusseldorf whenever I do the trip. No real point to stay in Gelsenkirchen itself unless its just for convenience on matchday. But your match ticket covers you to travel to Dusseldorf for free on the day of the game anyway.

Nice boat trip in Düsseldorf. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Nice boat trip in Düsseldorf. 

Done that a couple of times. Go right past the Fortuna stadium. One of the trips even had a wee stop off in a place called Kaiserswerth just a few miles up the Rhein. Lovely wee village.