• wfbarrel

• Big Drew

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

Howdy Doody Jambo

"Walkerism" the term used back in his day to describe his style of play

once described as the finest player in Europe 

23 hours ago, maroonblood said:

There is also James and John Speedie, John McCartney and Walter Fairgrieve. We are currently updating the website for the cemetery which will have a map of these locations and other notable graves. 

Good to hear this Maroonblood. Would be good to have a sort of 'go to' directory as to where all former players were laid to rest.

Good to hear that books are arriving. Would love to hear any feedback that anyone has? It really was a labour of love for Colin and I and fantastic to be able to contribute the profits back to enhancing our superb museum.

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

New delivery made - Now Available from the Hearts shop Friday 8th October, or to order online via Hearts direct.

Ordered online today as can’t make it into the shop this week. 

Kalamazoo Jambo

New delivery made - Now Available from the Hearts shop Friday 8th October, or to order online via Hearts direct.

Hopefully Mrs Kalamazoo took the hint and ordered a copy for my Christmas.

WorldChampions1902

Received mine at this start of the week. Was taken aback at the thickness of the book and after flicking through and viewing the images, was astonished at the volume and rarity of the photographic material alone! Really looking forward to reading this and have dipped in and out so far and it looks like a fantastic read! 

Congratulations to everyone involved. This looks like a very fitting tribute to a true Hearts legend!

been here before

I picked up a copy of this today. Not got round to really reading it yet but from the few snippets I have glanced over then it looks very interesting and well researched.

Some cracking pictures, the fancy dress ones in particular stand out. If Ive one criticism and maybe its just a personal thing, but I dont like the 'colourised' pictures in the middle. Ive never seen a colourised picture that ever looks like anything but a b/w pictured coloured in. It detracts from the authenticity of the original image. It appeals to some I suppose making it appear more contemporary but its not for me.

Its a small niggle though and doesnt detract from whst looks like a well produced book, I look forward to reading it.

One more thing, and in all seriousness, its got a great smell to the pages!

Popped into the shop today and picked-up my copy.  They must have just got a delivery, as there were boxes of them piled up next to the till.  

Oh and they've got Christmas jumpers on sale at £10.  Bargain!

Kalamazoo Jambo
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

One more thing, and in all seriousness, its got a great smell to the pages!

If it doesn’t smell like Battenberg cake they’ve missed a trick, IMO.

On 07/10/2021 at 20:50, davemclaren said:

Ordered online today as can’t make it into the shop this week. 

Thanks Dave, Hope you enjoy! Let us know what you think.

22 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Received mine at this start of the week. Was taken aback at the thickness of the book and after flicking through and viewing the images, was astonished at the volume and rarity of the photographic material alone! Really looking forward to reading this and have dipped in and out so far and it looks like a fantastic read! 

Congratulations to everyone involved. This looks like a very fitting tribute to a true Hearts legend!

Thanks for your feedback - pleased you enjoyed. Hopefully, it brings Bobby back into focus and unearths more information.

Bazzas right boot

Bawz, I'm mising the Dundee game and not paying £6 for delivery. Hope they don't sell pot. 

Edited by Smith's right boot
"sell oot" I'm leaving that mistake there 🤣

WorldChampions1902
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Bawz, I'm mising the Dundee game and not paying £6 for delivery. Hope they don't sell pot. 

If you get Pot with your book, I want the same. Nae favouritism.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

I assume you know you can do “click and collect”?  There doesn’t seem to be a time window for how long they’ll hold it.  There better not be, as the first time I’ll be in Edinburgh and able to collect my order is for the Dundee game!  

£5.95 for delivery does seem a bit steep for just a book.  No doubt it is more reasonable for bigger orders, and it is free for orders over £65.  A proportionate rate to the actual delivery and packing costs would be preferable, I think.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Devorgilla said:

I assume you know you can do “click and collect”?  There doesn’t seem to be a time window for how long they’ll hold it.  There better not be, as the first time I’ll be in Edinburgh and able to collect my order is for the Dundee game!  

£5.95 for delivery does seem a bit steep for just a book.  No doubt it is more reasonable for bigger orders, and it is free for orders over £65.  A proportionate rate to the actual delivery and packing costs would be preferable, I think.

Aye, but I'm in wallyford. 

Click and collect is the next home game and I'm missing that. 😢

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, but I'm in wallyford. 

Click and collect is the next home game and I'm missing that. 😢

Will they not hold it for you until (checks fixtures) 6th November, home to Dundee United?  After all you will have payed for it!

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Devorgilla said:

Will they not hold it for you until (checks fixtures) 6th November, home to Dundee United?  After all you will have payed for it!

I'll shall find out. 👍

23 hours ago, Devorgilla said:

The delivery cost is standard for anything under £65. You could order a wee pen only at a couple of quid and it would be £5.95 delivery. Click and collect sounds the best option so hopefully you get a hold of one before they sell out. And.... Whit aboot Smith's Left Boot a couple of week's ago?

An image not used in the book which shows Hearts registered players for Season 1897-98 which shows the payments to be made in the first team and the reserves and the date the agreement was signed.

Registered Players 1897-98.jpg

Bobby Walker Caps Display.

Bobbys Caps used to be displayed in the ship Inn in Musselburgh which he owned from about 1909 to 1923. They were later displayed in the Rosebud in Paisley (now the Tartan Rose) which was run by Bobby's Brother George Walker. The display formed the basis for the famous caps portrait held in the Hearts Museum

bobby walker caps display.jpg

museum cabinet bobby walker.jfif

WorldChampions1902
4 hours ago, wfbarrel said:

Bobby Walker Caps Display.

Bobbys Caps used to be displayed in the ship Inn in Musselburgh which he owned from about 1909 to 1923. They were later displayed in the Rosebud in Paisley (now the Tartan Rose) which was run by Bobby's Brother George Walker. The display formed the basis for the famous caps portrait held in the Hearts Museum

bobby walker caps display.jpg

museum cabinet bobby walker.jfif 35.53 kB · 1 download

Very, very interesting. In what publication did that image appear please and do you know the date?

The Paisley pub reference is also extremely interesting, as I suggested in an article in 2006-7 that Bobby’s caps had been on display in a Paisley pub in the 1960’s(?) and the pub name I turned up was the Argyll Bar in Old Sneddon Street. I wonder if the name was later changed to The Rosebud/Tartan Rose?

Bobby Walker Framed Photo complete with Autograph of the great Hearts Legend. Curtesy of Billy McKay. This photo was used for the cover of the Bobby Walker biography recently published in aid of  Hearts Heritage and Museum. The Photo was colourised for the book by Andy The Photo Dr

@andythephotoDr. The book is available Here BOBBY WALKER THIS IS HIS STORY | Heart of Midlothian (heartsdirect.co.uk) 

Best Bobby Walker Framed Photo Billy Mackay.jpg

An artists impression of the Dundee v Hearts Scottish Cup Semi-final in 1903 when photographs were still in their infancy in the early Edwardian era. Newspapers still relied heavily on this type of image.

Dundee 0-0 (SC) 28.2.1903 Cartoon.jpg

The Match Report from the 1903 Scottish Cup Semi Final replay which was used for referral in the contents of the book on page 75 and 76. The actual report wasn't used. This game broke the Tynecastle attendance record at the time.

Dundee 1-0 (SCR) 1903 Report 1.jpg

Dundee 1-0 (SCR) 1903 Report 2.jpg

Dundee 1-0 (SCR) 1903 Report 3.jpg

Dundee 1-0 (SCR) 1903 Report 4.jpg

If your going along to Tynecastle on Saturday why not pop in to the Hearts Club Shop and pick up a copy of the New Bobby Walker Book "This is his Story" In Stock and available. Priced at £15.99 with proceeds donated to Hearts Heritage Museum.

PowerPoint 21_10_2021 16_40_01 (2).png

scott herbertson
On 09/10/2021 at 21:07, Smith's right boot said:

Good explain the 'great smell' referred to above?

Francis Albert

Got the book but have only had time to skim through it. Does it cover the story (or myth?) that his fame was such that the King of Norway made the effort to watch him play?

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

😂😂

Oot! 

3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

There were still quite a few on display this afternoon(4pm) do you want me to pick one up for you on Saturday?

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, brownkg said:

There were still quite a few on display this afternoon(4pm) do you want me to pick one up for you on Saturday?

I should really pop in myself mate - I am on a bus from Birnam that gets me in to Edoinburgh in time to get to Gorgie by 12ish - will you be there earlier?

25 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I should really pop in myself mate - I am on a bus from Birnam that gets me in to Edoinburgh in time to get to Gorgie by 12ish - will you be there earlier?

Probably not Scott it clean slipped my mind that you live up here now and therefore will be going to the game

Article in the Hearts Programme Yesterday with background on the Ibrox disaster match in 1902. Bobby Walker played in the match and the game played to a finish. The match was declared a friendly and no caps were awarded robbing Bobby of another cap. The disaster and subsequent Fund Raisers for the injured are covered in  the new book Bobby Walker This is His story available from the Hearts shop. https://t.co/TtjasIIgHs?amp=1image.png.8beddf0c7ddfc33eebcbe35189884b7c.png

A press cutting from 2nd December 1905 (not used in the recently published book) with Bobby Walker being interviewed at Dundee on his way up to Hearts match for Aberdeen about our then unbeaten record in 1905-06. Ironically, Hearts lost 2-1. Fingers crossed we don't see a repeat tonight or on Saturday !

2nd December 1905.png

🗓 Hearts Heritage are delighted to welcome supporters to the official book signing & meet the Authors event to mark the launch of 'Bobby Walker - This is his Story' by Colin Robertson and Andrew Hoggan.
When: Thursday 18th November | 6.30pm
Where: Heart of Midlothian Museum, Tynecastle Park
🎟 Attendance is free, however, booking is required.
Click here to book your free ticket 📲 https://bit.ly/3GAaQ9B

Bobby Walker Cover 21-09-21 - PRINT[38163].pdf and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge 28_09_2021 13_35_22 (2).png

Bobby Walker Cover 21-09-21 - PRINT[38163].pdf and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge 28_09_2021 13_35_22 (3).png

Bobby Walker Book  This is His Story. All funds being donated to Hearts Heritage Museum

If Your Going along to the Foundation Day at Tynecastle Today Pick up a copy at the Hearts Shop or the in The Hearts Museum .Own the History.

145576850_BobbyWalkerPrintCosts.pptx-PowerPoint31_10_202112_35_43(2).thumb.png.04a5005b29e200d521c2e13ad24e34db.png

Bobby Walker Book for sale in the Hearts Museum Today 

21 hours ago, Tams bird said:

Bought one today at museum. It's going to Australia tomorrow..

Well Done Spread the word to our Aussie Family 

On 27/10/2021 at 15:43, Big Drew said:

A press cutting from 2nd December 1905 (not used in the recently published book) with Bobby Walker being interviewed at Dundee on his way up to Hearts match for Aberdeen about our then unbeaten record in 1905-06. Ironically, Hearts lost 2-1. Fingers crossed we don't see a repeat tonight or on Saturday !

2nd December 1905.png

Tempted Fate there Big Drew Lets get back on track against United this Saturday

2 hours ago, wfbarrel said:

yes, eerily prophetic! 
shouldn’t ask what their next result was because obviously not superstitious… 

but wonder what their next result was 🤔😁

hope the book sells really well. 👍

3 hours ago, wfbarrel said:

Yep, I did somewhat. Same scoreline too - spooky or what? The good news is we won the next game 4-0 against Port Glasgow at Tynecastle with Bobby Walker scoring twice.

Port Glasgow 4-0 (H) 9.12.1905.png

On 17/10/2021 at 10:45, wfbarrel said:

Bobby Walker Framed Photo complete with Autograph of the great Hearts Legend. Curtesy of Billy McKay. This photo was used for the cover of the Bobby Walker biography recently published in aid of  Hearts Heritage and Museum. The Photo was colourised for the book by Andy The Photo Dr

@andythephotoDr. The book is available Here BOBBY WALKER THIS IS HIS STORY | Heart of Midlothian (heartsdirect.co.uk) 

Best Bobby Walker Framed Photo Billy Mackay.jpg

On 29/10/2021 at 13:02, wfbarrel said:

Bobby Walker Cover 21-09-21 - PRINT[38163].pdf and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge 28_09_2021 13_35_22 (2).png

Bobby Walker Cover 21-09-21 - PRINT[38163].pdf and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge 28_09_2021 13_35_22 (3).png

Should the stockings/socks not be black with maroon & white turnovers ? 

Nevertheless Andy has done wonders with his colouring on various Hearts pictures. 

Yep, I did somewhat. Same scoreline too - spooky or what? The good news is we won the next game 4-0 against Port Glasgow at Tynecastle with Bobby Walker scoring twice.

Port Glasgow 4-0 (H) 9.12.1905.png

Great stuff 👍

‘the Hearts turned out a surprise eleven containing four players not in the ordinary team…’

Would Robbie similarly dare … 🤔😁 

4-0 would do me for our next result!