Bobby Walker Book - This Is His Story

Big Drew

Now Live on Hearts Website:-

We are pleased to announce the launch of the new book 'Bobby Walker - This is his Story' by Colin Robertson and Andrew Hoggan.

The first book to ever tell the story of Bobby Walker, considered by many to be the finest player in Europe at his peak from 1896 to 1913, reveals the highs and lows of his career with Hearts and his outstanding international record. The extensively researched publication also contains numerous images that cannot be sourced in modern day publications.

Co-author Colin Robertson said: "While researching Bobby Walker’s career with Hearts we constantly heard that no book had ever been produced. We hope that this book will serve as a tribute and tremendous record for Hearts fans and historians."

Members of the late Bobby Walkers family will be attending Saturday’s match against Motherwell at Tynecastle to mark the official launch of the book for sale.

The book will be on sale exclusively in the Hearts Clubstore from Monday 4th October, but you can pre-order from today in person at the store or online via Hearts Direct. The book is a limited-edition print, so ordering early is advised to reserve your copy.

All profits from sales of the book are being kindly donated to Hearts Heritage & Museum.

"We’re delighted with the generous donation of profits to Hearts Heritage & Museum; the funds will enable us to begin some exciting new heritage related projects in 2022." - David Allan, Museum Manager.

Book Launch Event

Hearts Heritage will be hosting a book launch event at the Hearts Museum in the coming weeks - keep an eye out for details and how to book your place.

JKB ADMIN? : Can this information be made a 'Stick' for a week please?

Cover Image (2).jpg

Edited by Big Drew
Image added

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wfbarrel

• Big Drew

• davemclaren

• Hearts Heritage

Can be pre-ordered using the link which follows. Superb production - 330 pages, it covers his childhood memories, junior days, Hearts career and his successes, Scotland career and statistics, Hearts statistics, lots of match pictures, memorabilia, colour section, his life after retiring from football, his record against Hibs, poems, his family and his legacies. It really is an outstanding tribute to arguably Hearts greatest ever player.

BOBBY WALKER THIS IS HIS STORY - PRE ORDER | Heart of Midlothian (heartsdirect.co.uk)

Mods: Any chance of making this a 'sticky' for a week or so?

All profits being donated to the Hearts Heritage and Museum.

Edited by Big Drew
full info not given

6 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Can be pre-ordered using the link which follows. Superb production - 330 pages, it covers his childhood memories, junior days, Hearts career and his successes, Scotland career and statistics, Hearts statistics, lots of match pictures, memorabilia, colour section, his life after retiring from football, his record against Hibs, poems, his family and his legacies. It really is an outstanding tribute to arguably Hearts greatest ever player.

BOBBY WALKER THIS IS HIS STORY - PRE ORDER | Heart of Midlothian (heartsdirect.co.uk)

Mods: Any chance of making this a 'sticky' for a week or so?

All profits being retirns to the Hearts Heritage and Museum.

Being on the front page gets more hits than being a sticky - trust me!  😎

Thanks Dave. So is the trick to keep the thread there? Just trying to make the availability as best-known as possible so that it hopefully sells out and nets the Hearts Heritage Trust and Museum the maximum amount. 👍 

2 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Thanks Dave. So is the trick to keep the thread there? Just trying to make the availability as best-known as possible so that it hopefully sells out and nets the Hearts Heritage Trust and Museum the maximum amount. 👍 

I’m sure members will comment on it enough to keep it up there. If not we can then sticky it. 👍 

Francis Albert

What with this and the forthcoming Robbo book I will soon need another Hearts bookshelf. Changed days since my first purchase of a Hearts related book nearly 50 years ago  - the Illustrated History from our centenary year.

19 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Now Live on Hearts Website:-

We are pleased to announce the launch of the new book 'Bobby Walker - This is his Story' by Colin Robertson and Andrew Hoggan.

The first book to ever tell the story of Bobby Walker, considered by many to be the finest player in Europe at his peak from 1896 to 1913, reveals the highs and lows of his career with Hearts and his outstanding international record. The extensively researched publication also contains numerous images that cannot be sourced in modern day publications.

Co-author Colin Robertson said: "While researching Bobby Walker’s career with Hearts we constantly heard that no book had ever been produced. We hope that this book will serve as a tribute and tremendous record for Hearts fans and historians."

Members of the late Bobby Walkers family will be attending Saturday’s match against Motherwell at Tynecastle to mark the official launch of the book for sale.

The book will be on sale exclusively in the Hearts Clubstore from Monday 4th October, but you can pre-order from today in person at the store or online via Hearts Direct. The book is a limited-edition print, so ordering early is advised to reserve your copy.

All profits from sales of the book are being kindly donated to Hearts Heritage & Museum.

"We’re delighted with the generous donation of profits to Hearts Heritage & Museum; the funds will enable us to begin some exciting new heritage related projects in 2022." - David Allan, Museum Manager.

Book Launch Event

Hearts Heritage will be hosting a book launch event at the Hearts Museum in the coming weeks - keep an eye out for details and how to book your place.

JKB ADMIN? : Can this information be made a 'Stick' for a week please?

Cover Image (2).jpg

When will we hear about the book launch event?

"Three Nuns Tobacco". 😄

Back in the day when smoking was good for you. 

Googled it and it's still on the go. A Glasgow produced pipe tobacco.

Edited by martoon

3 hours ago, martoon said:

"Three Nuns Tobacco". 😄

Back in the day when smoking was good for you. 

Googled it and it's still on the go. A Glasgow produced pipe tobacco.

Bobby probably smoked a ten pack before every match. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Bobby probably smoked a ten pack before every match. 

Calmed the nerves and gave him strength, no doubt.

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

When will we hear about the book launch event?

There's a launch event this Saturday with Bobby's Grandson, Great Grandson and Great, Great Grandson in attendance at the game against Motherwell. Scott Wilson will be mentioning the book and one will be raffled in the Gorgie Suite. There is also going to be a launch event in the museum I believe but no details finalised as yet.

19 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

There's a launch event this Saturday with Bobby's Grandson, Great Grandson and Great, Great Grandson in attendance at the game against Motherwell. Scott Wilson will be mentioning the book and one will be raffled in the Gorgie Suite. There is also going to be a launch event in the museum I believe but no details finalised as yet.

👍

6 hours ago, martoon said:

Calmed the nerves and gave him strength, no doubt.

He used to drink a 1/4 gill of whisky before every game as was discovered during the research and mentioned in the text of the book!

2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

He used to drink a 1/4 gill of whisky before every game as was discovered during the research and mentioned in the text of the book!

Very much looking forward to reading it, Drew.

Both Bobby and Robbo's story.

9 hours ago, martoon said:

Very much looking forward to reading it, Drew.

Both Bobby and Robbo's story.

Absolutely Martoon. The career stories of Two hammers of the H1b5 all at once eh? Like yourself, I am looking forward to Robbo's one too.

1 hour ago, Big Drew said:

Absolutely Martoon. The career stories of Two hammers of the H1b5 all at once eh? Like yourself, I am looking forward to Robbo's one too.

👍

Having read the other Bobby Walker threads on JKB, I'm aware that some Jambos visit North Merchiston Cemetery and help keep his final resting place tidy. I haven't managed to get there since late March this year. Can any of the JKB community who visit advise if the grave is tidy or not? Bobby's relatives are coming up tomorrow night and will be at the Motherwell game on Saturday. Their intention is to also visit the grave. Is it tidy? or if not? can anyone spend 15 minutes or so to tidy it up? Would be good to show the family that he is still remembered and the JKB community help keep the resting place tidy.

44 minutes ago, Big Drew said:

Having read the other Bobby Walker threads on JKB, I'm aware that some Jambos visit North Merchiston Cemetery and help keep his final resting place tidy. I haven't managed to get there since late March this year. Can any of the JKB community who visit advise if the grave is tidy or not? Bobby's relatives are coming up tomorrow night and will be at the Motherwell game on Saturday. Their intention is to also visit the grave. Is it tidy? or if not? can anyone spend 15 minutes or so to tidy it up? Would be good to show the family that he is still remembered and the JKB community help keep the resting place tidy.

DB3179FA-3247-4C16-AC0D-96FC6A42C33C.jpeg

Edited by Deevers

16 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Is that an up to date photo Deevers of how it looks at present?

It was one taken by the Friends of North Merchiston Cemetery Group recently and posted on their page.

Hearts Heritage

Had a wonderful meal in the Ship Inn last night with Patrick, Tom, Ben (Bobby Walker's grandson, great grandson & great-great grandson), Colin & Andrew.

Bobby used to own the Ship Inn from 1900s to 1923.

Pictured with Bobby's biography.

https://www.heartsdirect.co.uk/item/2789/GiftsMerchandise/BOBBY-WALKER-THIS-IS-HIS-STORY-PRE-ORDER.html

IMG_1961(1).jpg

IMG_1967(1).jpg

Yes,my mate,cleared the weeds,cut the grass and cleaned the headstone last week,his partner put in on Lost Edinburgh.He does it quite regularly because of the history of Bobby Walker,he is a huge Jambo but does not read kickback 

17 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Is that an up to date photo Deevers of how it looks at present?

It’s generally fairly tidy I presume you know where to find it?

1 hour ago, Hearts Heritage said:

Had a wonderful meal in the Ship Inn last night with Patrick, Tom, Ben (Bobby Walker's grandson, great grandson & great-great grandson), Colin & Andrew.

Bobby used to own the Ship Inn from 1900s to 1923.

Pictured with Bobby's biography.

https://www.heartsdirect.co.uk/item/2789/GiftsMerchandise/BOBBY-WALKER-THIS-IS-HIS-STORY-PRE-ORDER.html

IMG_1961(1).jpg

IMG_1967(1).jpg

👍👍

12 hours ago, maroonblood said:

Good to hear it was looking good for today as Bobby Walker's relatives made a visit to the resting place. Yes, Been a few times maroonblood but not since late March this year, as the book research took over a wee bit! Thanks to everyone who goes up and does their wee bit. 

125 years ago today on 3rd October 1896, Bobby Walker made his League debut for Hearts and scored the fifth goal in a 5-2 win which contributed to the League Championship success in 1896-97.

Debut 1896 v St Bernards 1.jpg

Debut 1896 v St Bernards 2.jpg

Debut 1896 v St Bernards 3.jpg.png

Kalamazoo Jambo
On 02/10/2021 at 04:37, GorgieJim said:

Yes,my mate,cleared the weeds,cut the grass and cleaned the headstone last week,his partner put in on Lost Edinburgh.He does it quite regularly because of the history of Bobby Walker,he is a huge Jambo but does not read kickback 

Tell your mate thanks from those of us on Kickback :thumbsup:

Hearts Heritage
On 02/10/2021 at 09:53, maroonblood said:

Had a bit of fun and games trying to find it yestersday. There is a pink coloured stone  'obelisk' that we use as a marker point to find the grave. Due to tree and plant growth it is now obsucured from the top path. We did find it and his family were very pleased to see it.

5 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Tell your mate thanks from those of us on Kickback :thumbsup:

Tom Purdie’s  grave is also in North Merchiston Cemetery.

735B11E7-F799-4873-A8D7-12DDD015076C.jpeg

Edited by Deevers

Hearts Heritage
Patrick, Tom and Ben (Bobby's Grandson, Great Grandson and Great-Great Grandson) visiting Bobby Walker's grave on Saturday.

IMG_0023b.jpg

been here before

Had 15 mins to kill a wee while ago so nipped into the shop for a browse, never saw the book for sale.

Never saw any staff about either right enough.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Had 15 mins to kill a wee while ago so nipped into the shop for a browse, never saw the book for sale.

The first batch that was delivered sold out very quickly today. The rest will be delivered on Thursday. It's not ideal but it is what it is. Worth getting a hold of though and in demand it seems!

Just now, Big Drew said:

The first batch that was delivered sold out very quickly today. The rest will be delivered on Thursday. It's not ideal but it is what it is. Worth getting a hold of though and in demand it seems!

How many are being produced?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Where your eyes shut? 

🤣

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Try emailing the club about it. 

Felix Lighter

Anyone know what the script is with pre-ordering and choosing click and collect. It says allow for 72 hours, is that 72 hours from the date of purchase?🤷‍♂️ I bought a copy last week,

I'm in Fife so don't want a wasted journey.

been here before
35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Try emailing the club about it. 

Not sure why Id do that. Im not that fussed about it.

5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

How many are being produced?

Only 1000 Dave. As far as I am aware, the shop has sold out for now on the first batch sent, but the second (and last) batch is being delivered on Thursday 7th October. The Norm for a Hearts book is 2500 to 3000 sales. Colin and I had to self-finance the costs (hence the low print run), but once we have that outlay returned, all the profits are going to the Hearts Heritage and Museum.

On 03/10/2021 at 22:06, Deevers said:

Tom Purdie’s  grave is also in North Merchiston Cemetery.

735B11E7-F799-4873-A8D7-12DDD015076C.jpeg

Interesting post Deevers. Where is Tom Purdie in relation to Bobby Walker's plot? Would like to do a double-visit next time. Is there any other ex-Hearts in North Merchiston Cemetery?

Hearts Heritage
4 hours ago, Big Drew said:

Interesting post Deevers. Where is Tom Purdie in relation to Bobby Walker's plot? Would like to do a double-visit next time. Is there any other ex-Hearts in North Merchiston Cemetery?

It is at the 'top' of the path where you turn down to go to Bobby's plot.

9 hours ago, Big Drew said:

There is also James and John Speedie, John McCartney and Walter Fairgrieve. We are currently updating the website for the cemetery which will have a map of these locations and other notable graves. 

My copy arrived this morning.

Looking forward to reading, loads of illustrations too.

hearts @ heart
1 hour ago, Deid Heid said:

My copy arrived this morning.

Looking forward to reading, loads of illustrations too.

My copy arrived today also.

Looking forward to reading it. I has a slight problem and registered with Hearts Direct and it processed 👌

Cheers