hydrocephalus (fluid in the brain)

Tynieman

Hi fellow Jambos,

I have received had a CT and MRI scan after a fall and they’ve discovered I have Hydrocephalus. I believe it’s excess fluid in my brain.

It’s been there for a while according to the doctors and I’ve now got an appointment with a neurosurgeon in November.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect? Also, I’ve been suffering black outs for a while now which I presume are part of said condition?

Edited by Tynieman

I have no medical background, however a quick google search states the below procedure may possibly be required. Maybe best asking your GP for some advice.

The most common treatment for hydrocephalus is a medical device called a shunt, a flexible tube, which is placed in the ventricular system of the brain and connected to a valve. A small hole called a burrhole is made in the skull and the tube is gently guided through the brain to the fluid-filled ventricles.

8 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

I have no medical background, however a quick google search states the below procedure may possibly be required. Maybe best asking your GP for some advice.

The most common treatment for hydrocephalus is a medical device called a shunt, a flexible tube, which is placed in the ventricular system of the brain and connected to a valve. A small hole called a burrhole is made in the skull and the tube is gently guided through the brain to the fluid-filled ventricles.

Sounds like a good time that.

Glad it appears to be treatable.

2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

Hi fellow Jambos,

I have received had a CT and MRI scan after a fall and they’ve discovered I have Hydrocephalus. I believe it’s excess fluid in my brain.

It’s been there for a while according to the doctors and I’ve now got an appointment with a neurosurgeon in November.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect? Also, I’ve been suffering black outs for a while now which I presume are part of said condition?

Obviously speak to your neurologist first and foremost.

I think this is very treatable though, my understanding is that it's excess fluid that causes pressure within the skull and causes impaired function. They essentially drain the fluid to treat it.

My partner had this condition nearly 20 years ago. After the GP telling her she had an ear infection she was eventually airlifted unconscious to Aberdeen Royal for emergency brain surgery for a hemangioblastoma and also had to get the hole drilled into her skull to relieve the pressure caused by the fluid.

So 1 you should be ok.

and 2, skip the GP and deal with the neurosurgeon

Thanks all. I really love kickback, I’ve met so many helpful people. If I die, I will leave my will to kickback.

It’ll cost them as the only thing I really own is debt, but the principles there 😊

Edited by Tynieman

When I was a lad, it was said that the cure for water on the brain was a tap on the heid!   

On a serious note, I wish you all the best in your treatment and recovery.

3 hours ago, Tynieman said:

Thanks all. I really love kickback, I’ve met so many helpful people. If I die, I will leave my will to kickback.

It’ll cost them as the only thing I really own is debt, but the principles there 😊

It's the thought that counts. :biggrin:

Best of luck with your treatment and recovery.

10 hours ago, Tynieman said:

All the best Tynieman.Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.