Dogs know best

Naisys Tackle

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've got two older dogs, 10 and 8, it's only a matter of time before one goes but no matter how many dogs you have over how many years, it never gets easier when the day comes, it breaks my heart every time.

It is heart breaking. We lost our jack Russel about 6 years ago now. We went with a cat after a couple years after she died for a couple of reasons

1.  We had a mouse problem after our jack Russel was gone as she was no longer around to deal with it. 

2. I couldn’t stomach losing another dog but felt the kids would benefit from having a pet around. Cats are also easier to care for on the whole. 

3.  Cats live longer in general and I didn’t really like cats anyways. 

Turns out I like the cat. 🤷🙈

Edited by AlimOzturk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Unknown user

• mrmarkus1981_1

• Dawnrazor

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It is heart breaking. We lost our jack Russel about 6 years ago now. We went with a cat after a couple years after she died for a couple of reasons

1.  We had a mouse problem after our jack Russel was gone as she was no longer around to deal with it. 

2. I couldn’t stomach losing another dog but felt the kids would benefit from having a pet around. Cats are also easier to care for on the whole. 

3.  Cats live longer in general and I didn’t really like cats anyways. 

Turns out I like the cat. 🤷🙈

I think when any pet dies it's hard, I'm definitely not a cat person, but my Mum was, it's the draw back about having animals in your life, daft as it sounds, we just sold our Bull, he's a Luing Bull and as soft as shite, he would follow me about a field like a dog, I was gutted when he went, he's gone to a neighbour to sire more calves and not to the slaughter house!, but he was such a big character, almost a ton of character, it's no difference for a cat or a dog.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Cherish every moment you have with dogs guys. Truly man’s best friend. 

Spot on.    The old saying "you don't know what you've got till its gone"  is very apt when you've been a dog owner.   

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've got two older dogs, 10 and 8, it's only a matter of time before one goes but no matter how many dogs you have over how many years, it never gets easier when the day comes, it breaks my heart every time.

So true.   Some touching stories from other posters too.

We spent last fortnight  in tears most days, knowing that our lovely lurcher  girl Angel was suffering increasingly with arthritic pain - pain relief medicine wasn't containing it, and it had got  to the point that she couldn't lie down for more than 10 seconds without yelping and jumping down from the bed or couch.  Every dog owner knows that awful & indescribable feeling of dread when you realise the only humane outcome is to get the vet to end your dog's  life.   Remorse, regret, guilt .... all adding up to a broken heart.

Angel went over the rainbow bridge last Wednesday, with Mrs L.S.   cradling her head.   

The vet suggested that we bring our other wee dog Yodika in to see her big "sister" lying lifeless on the table, to help with "doggy grief".     I brought her in and lifted her up to see - she stared at Angel for about 10 seconds, then turned away and buried her head in my arms.  It felt like she understood the situation.   Yodi was "out of sorts" for a day or two afterwards - but in true doggy style, she just "got on with it".   She will have witnessed lots of doggy "disappearances" during her earlier life as a street dog in Romania.   The rescuers over there christened her Yodika - which means "warrior" in English.  

I guess you have to be a bit of a warrior yourself, to survive the heartbreak at the end.  Yet we willingly put ourselves through it  again in order to help a dog in need.

Angel @ Glamis Castle

image.thumb.jpeg.5f820d34eb8b42dd012d6584fed074f7.jpeg

Angel waiting for a squirrel to come "in range".

image.thumb.jpeg.956285cf9c201096dd11078495a14bd4.jpeg

Edited by Lone Striker

6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Spot on.    The old saying "you don't know what you've got till its gone"  is very apt when you've been a dog owner.   

We spent last fortnight  in tears most days, knowing that our lovely lurcher  girl Angel was suffering increasingly with arthritic pain - pain relief medicine wasn't containing it, and it had got  to the point that she couldn't lie down for more than 10 seconds without yelping and jumping down from the bed or couch.  Every dog owner knows that awful & indescribable feeling of dread when you realise the only humane outcome is to get the vet to end your dog's  life.   Remorse, regret, guilt .... all adding up to a broken heart.

Angel went over the rainbow bridge last Wednesday, with Mrs L.S.   cradling her head.   

The vet suggested that we bring our other wee dog Yodika in to see her big "sister" lying lifeless on the table, to help with "doggy grief".     I brought her in and lifted her up to see - she stared at Angel for about 10 seconds, then turned away and buried her head in my arms.  It felt like she understood the situation.   Yodi was "out of sorts" for a day or two afterwards - but in true doggy style, she just "got on with it".   She will have witnessed lots of doggy "disappearances" during her earlier life as a street dog in Romania.   The rescuers over there christened her Yodika - which means "warrior" in English.  

I guess you have to be a bit of a warrior yourself, to survive the heartbreak at the end.  Yet we willingly put ourselves through it  again in order to help a dog in need.

Angel @ Glamis Castle

What an absolutely gorgeous girl. Sorry for your loss. 

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Angel @ Glamis Castle

Beautiful girl, sorry for your loss

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Angel @ Glamis Castle

She's a beauty. 

rudi must stay
11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Angel @ Glamis Castle

Is he names after Hearts Temporary Manager Angel Cherenkov

My pup has started sneaking up the stairs in the morning, jumping up on the bed and cuddling in to me when my partner gets up for work.  Like full on spooning, at full stretch.  Depending on which way I'm lying, he'll either lie against my back or weasel his way up against my front.  He'll then sleep until I get up for work. 

He's got it sussed, honestly. Some life :lol:

(At full stretch, he's about 7ft long, so it's like having an incredibly lanky person to cuddle into!) 

Edited by tian447

• 2 weeks later...

As for trying to choke an officer in the course of his duty, which the dog is, a baseball bat should be more applicable than a tennis racket.

Daytona Beach Officer Uses Tennis Racket Against Burglary Suspect Trying To Choke a Police Dog

henrysmithsgloves
On 15/08/2023 at 09:13, tian447 said:

My pup has started sneaking up the stairs in the morning, jumping up on the bed and cuddling in to me when my partner gets up for work.  Like full on spooning, at full stretch.  Depending on which way I'm lying, he'll either lie against my back or weasel his way up against my front.  He'll then sleep until I get up for work. 

(At full stretch, he's about 7ft long, so it's like having an incredibly lanky person to cuddle into!) 

7 feet😳 I thought my German Shepherd was big😳 

Jambof3tornado
On 15/08/2023 at 09:13, tian447 said:

Oscar my lab does this too. So relaxing cuddling into a hairy beast!!!!

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Oscar my lab does this too. So relaxing cuddling into a hairy beast!!!!

The dog, or the missus? 

:jj:

13 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

7 feet😳 I thought my German Shepherd was big😳 

That's full stretch with legs in front and legs behind.  He's huge! 

He is a Shepherd/Retriever mix, but I'm convinced he's a generic experiment gone wrong.  He is so much bigger than either breed, but still a skinny wee thing as well. 50kg fur missile when he jumps at you for a cuddle on the couch though :lol:

Im 6ft 3, and he jumps up and puts his paws on my shoulders to give me a kiss on the cheek (or sneakily try and nibble my ears)! 

Edited by tian447

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

The dog, or the missus? 

:jj:

Ohhhh separate beds to the missus mate!!!! Great nights sleep now!! Kingsize bed to me and the dug!!!

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Picked up this wee guy today 😍

IMG-20230826-WA0005.jpg

❤️

I've been thinking I don't have enough dog in my life

Day@theraces
On 11/08/2023 at 23:10, Lone Striker said:

Angel @ Glamis Castle

What a beautiful dog. Grew up with 4 dogs over time and losing them feels no different to a family member. We don't deserve them.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Picked up this wee guy today 😍

IMG-20230826-WA0005.jpg

Oh,  he's a lovely wee fella. :rock2: What breed is he ?

32 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

What a beautiful dog. Grew up with 4 dogs over time and losing them feels no different to a family member. We don't deserve them.

Thanks mate.  👍 In the 7 years we had her, we've never seen  any other  dog which looked the same as her - which is actually a wee bit of a comfort, knowing that we were blessed to have such a rare cross-breed girl. 

Gosh, you've earned a long-service  badge for  your time with the 4 dogs.   The house feels so strange after a dog passes away - you suddenly realise just how much attention you paid to them, and how  calm & content they could make you feel.   They truly are man's (and woman's) best friend.

mrmarkus1981_1

He's a border terrier aye, we lost one to heart failure, he was only 2 and a half. A breeder got in touch and gifted us this healthy pup, there are some wonderful people out there 👌

15 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

He's a border terrier aye, we lost one to heart failure, he was only 2 and a half. A breeder got in touch and gifted us this healthy pup, there are some wonderful people out there 👌

Great wee dugs 👍

mrmarkus1981_1

They were thick as thieves these two (Ralphie, on the left died). Cooper, now has another wee brother to torment him ♥️

FB_IMG_1625084038538.jpg

CavySlaveJambo

It is International Dog Day.  

So here is the most amazing snuggle buddy and helper.   The little one is great too. 

IMG_0834.jpeg

ScottieMac17

Just found out last night that my parents are planing on putting one of our family dogs down on Thursday night. She had a big seizure over the weekend then a little one the following day, she seems OK now, still eating, playing, excited to go for walks etc, just looks a little shaky. Not sure I agree with my parents and also don't want to lose my wee best pal. I actually think that they don't want to go through a seizure with her again because they rightly got a big scare. 

Pretty sh** times, pretty much dreading every second and struggle not to crack up when I think about tomorrow night. 

mrmarkus1981_1
On 30/08/2023 at 08:53, ScottieMac17 said:

Just found out last night that my parents are planing on putting one of our family dogs down on Thursday night. She had a big seizure over the weekend then a little one the following day, she seems OK now, still eating, playing, excited to go for walks etc, just looks a little shaky. Not sure I agree with my parents and also don't want to lose my wee best pal. I actually think that they don't want to go through a seizure with her again because they rightly got a big scare. 

Pretty sh** times, pretty much dreading every second and struggle not to crack up when I think about tomorrow night. 

I hope your fairing ok ScottieMac. One of mine went fairly recently so I (like many others) know your heartache. 

On 01/09/2023 at 15:42, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

I hope your fairing ok ScottieMac. One of mine went fairly recently so I (like many others) know your heartache. 

Cheers man. Appreciate it 

Put this here because I think this bear wants to be a  dog, and if anybody is looking for a sturdy child proof swing set, check this out. Bear proof.

On 26/08/2023 at 21:06, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Lovely gesture by the breeder.  But so sad that Ralphie had such a short life - you must have totally heart-broken when that happened.  Photos like the one below are so precious - they invoke the memory of the place and the day, and make you wonder what the dogs were thinking at that moment.

I feel that we owe it to our departed dogs to remember them forever, and to talk about them too.    Thanks for sharing. 👍   

On 26/08/2023 at 21:46, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

They were thick as thieves these two (Ralphie, on the left died). Cooper, now has another wee brother to torment him ♥️

FB_IMG_1625084038538.jpg

They break your heart every time.

Our family dog was a big daft Labradoodle called Jester.  He was aptly named.  He'd greet you at the door with a huge toothy grin.  He'd hide your shoes.  He'd sprawl on the queen-sized bed so that there was little or no room for humans.  When he wanted to go for a walk, he'd pick up his leash and drop in into your lap.

One time his brother, an Alsation called Johnny, was playing with a toy that Jester wanted.  Jester went to the window and barked at nothing.  Johnny jumped up and ran to the window to see what Jester was barking at, whereupon Jester ran over and grabbed the now available toy. 

We lost Jester two weeks ago to cancer.

It's so difficult every time because every last one is so unique and because dogs are so attached plus attuned to us, we to them. It's estimated they have been with us up to 30,000 years, nothing else is anything like so attuned to us. It's not just like a family bereavment when they go, it is one and that's being somewhat more recognised.

Then aside from the companionship plus loyalty it's amazing to think how many critical jobs they do in society. From rounding up sheep to running down fleeing criminals to guiding blind people to alerting people of an oncoming seizure and so much more.  Remarkable animals.

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

It's so difficult every time because every last one is so unique and because dogs are so attached plus attuned to us, we to them. It's estimated they have been with us up to 30,000 years, nothing else is anything like so attuned to us. It's not just like a family bereavment when they go, it is one and that's being somewhat more recognised.

Then aside from the companionship plus loyalty it's amazing to think how many critical jobs they do in society. From rounding up sheep to running down fleeing criminals to guiding blind people to alerting people of an oncoming seizure and so much more.  Remarkable animals.

Great dancers too

16 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

They break your heart every time.

Our family dog was a big daft Labradoodle called Jester.  He was aptly named.  He'd greet you at the door with a huge toothy grin.  He'd hide your shoes.  He'd sprawl on the queen-sized bed so that there was little or no room for humans.  When he wanted to go for a walk, he'd pick up his leash and drop in into your lap.

One time his brother, an Alsation called Johnny, was playing with a toy that Jester wanted.  Jester went to the window and barked at nothing.  Johnny jumped up and ran to the window to see what Jester was barking at, whereupon Jester ran over and grabbed the now available toy. 

We lost Jester two weeks ago to cancer.

So sorry to read of your latest heartbreak, ML.  Jester sounds like he was a wonderful combo of cheekiness & playfulness.   Its a grief like no other when you know they're about to pass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Real intelligent piece of herding. Note how at one point the dog has to smartly jump over a fence, get ahead of the herd and stop them going in through the wrong open gate.

Lone Striker
On 09/09/2023 at 01:33, JFK-1 said:

Very true.  There's also the breeds who are trained to guard livestock on farms,  or live out  on the high hills to protect  sheep from predators.   

A few interesting and with foreknowledge obvious differences between a dog and a wolf. First up is the wolf who is called Honey, then Bob the dog.

Man's First Friend | Full Documentary

He has been an integral part of our existence for over 20,000 years. Throughout history, his contributions have been diverse and invaluable. He's aided us in procuring sustenance, safeguarded our domesticated animals, served as a shield against adversaries, provided navigation during harsh conditions, and rescued us from imminent danger.

Presently, he offers solace, alleviating solitude and assisting us in managing the challenges of advancing age. He has evolved into an unwavering comrade. The origins of dogs raise intriguing questions: How did these remarkable creatures emerge? How did they ascend to such prominence in our lives? How did we forge a collaborative relationship, leveraging their distinct abilities? Moreover, what remarkable feats do they accomplish for us in contemporary times?

Prepare to embark on a journey that unveils the extraordinary escapades of these exceptional beings, showcasing their heroic deeds. Transitioning from wild wolves to beloved companions, from predatory instincts to steadfast friendship, we will traverse the globe to narrate the captivating narrative of how dogs earned their title: man's first friend.

Pardon if this has been posted already.

From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.”

They don’t understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog.”

Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.”

Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,” but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you probably understand phrases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.”

Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that its’ not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a man” or “just a woman.”

So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog,” just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

- Author: Richard A. Biby