Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in BBC drama "The Reckoning"

Lone Striker

No date for this yet. The screenplay has been written by the guy who did the screen dramas about Fred West and Peter Sutcliffe.   

Seems  ironic (in a sick way)  that the BBC are commissioning it when they played a big part in enabling his horrific abuse to take place.       Coogan was brilliant playing the role of BBC journalist Martin Sixsmith in  Philomena, which told the story of how the Catholic church in Ireland tried to bury news about  unmarried girls having babies - a positive role in uncovering a scandal.      But Jimmy Savile ?              

Thoughts ?

The Real Maroonblood

It does seem a bit early to do this.

It’ll be interesting to see who will play the parts of well known people who were friendly with him.

I wrote to Jim I’ll fix it to ask to go to the Tower of London and “ also see Sherlock Holmes “ house at 221b Baker Street . Thankfully I didn’t get a reply 😂 mind you I was 22 at the time ( joke 😎

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It does seem a bit early to do this.

It’ll be interesting to see who will play the parts of well known people who were friendly with him.

Good point.  Wasn't there a Chief Constable among his "circle" ?    Cyril Smith too (allegedly) ?     It's beyond belief that no-one at the BBC was aware of what he was up to - especially other DJs.       The tag line on your profile seems quite relevant in his case.

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Good point.  Wasn't there a Chief Constable among his "circle" ?    Cyril Smith too (allegedly) ?     It's beyond belief that no-one at the BBC was aware of what he was up to - especially other DJs.       The tag line on your profile seems quite relevant in his case.

It’ll certainly open up a lot of wounds for the victims.

I live about 10 minutes from Broadmoor and there was a fairly tidyish woman of about 50 odd at my old work who was from the area and mentioned that she had been in Jimmy Saville's roller when she was about 14. She seemed almost put out that he hadn't tried it on with her!

Салатные палочки

Seems a strange topic to make a film about. That said, I would still watch it. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I wrote to Jim I’ll fix it to ask to go to the Tower of London and “ also see Sherlock Holmes “ house at 221b Baker Street . Thankfully I didn’t get a reply 😂 mind you I was 22 at the time ( joke 😎

A boy I knew had Jim fix it for him to wrestle with Rowdy Roddy Piper. 😂

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A boy I knew had Jim fix it for him to wrestle with Rowdy Roddy Piper. 😂

Oh dear ! I fixed it myself to visit those places . Even as a kid I thought Saville was creepy ! Who didn’t really ? 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh dear ! I fixed it myself to visit those places . Even as a kid I thought Saville was creepy ! Who didn’t really ? 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Hows his holiday hoose in the highlands, is that still there.

Passed it a couple of weeks ago and it's still there  I heard that it has been bought and is getting pulled down.

There was graffiti ins while ago but has be cleaned off. 

They should've took it down when this all came to light.

Creepy place to pass now we know what he got up to. 

Stunning location as well. 

17 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Should not be making anything about that creep. 

What does this achieve apart from tell a disgusting story? 

Салатные палочки
16 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

tenor.gif

Quite an appropriate shirt he has on there. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

What does this achieve apart from tell a disgusting story? 

As mentioned above it's probably the BBC trying to exorcise their demons/responsibility for him getting away with it for so long more than anything else. 

4 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

Not a fan of Coogan, but he was really good in the recent 'Steven' drama about Steven Lawrence.

Ditto. Place him in the same category as Frank Skinner. About as funny as genital warts and firmly up their own arses. But he was good in that drama to be fair.

Apparently the weirdo invited Colleen Nolan (aged 14) back to his hotel after the Nolans had appeared on TotP with him  - she said she recognised that he was  a dirty old man and didn't go.   Her older sisters would probably have stopped her anyway.

I thought the council had demolished  his Glencoe cottage .....  but it seems they didn't.    

I like Steve Coogan. Always have. No young aspiring actor would risk their career with such a role so he's probably not worried about that aspect. It says the show has been written with the input and consent of victims which even still puts it on very risky territory. Ultimately it should be highlight the utter ignorance and ineptitude of the BBC stars and staff at the time who looked the other way while a huge TV celebrity was allowed to inflict abhorrent abuse on kids.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Apparently the weirdo invited Colleen Nolan (aged 14) back to his hotel after the Nolans had appeared on TotP with him  - she said she recognised that he was  a dirty old man and didn't go.   Her older sisters would probably have stopped her anyway.

I thought the council had demolished  his Glencoe cottage .....  but it seems they didn't.    

Its going apparently but like any council plans it'll most likely take a while.

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

In the recent 'Steven' drama about Steven Lawrence I thought he was very good.

I never knew he could act straight parts. (not comedy)

I thought he looked rubbish in that. Dodgy accent