• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooperstar

• Tazio

• Des Lynam

• Greedy Jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to see Usyk unify the division and add a well needed respectability to what has been an ongoing circus. That was a masterclass of text book boxing on display. Joshua would be well advised to avoid a rematch as Usyk has his number. I think the Ukrainian would have too much skill for Wilder but Fury is maybe a step too far. He seems an amiable guy and we can but hope he doesn’t get sucked in to the politics and The charlatans that oversee the game

57 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I would like to see Usyk unify the division and add a well needed respectability to what has been an ongoing circus. That was a masterclass of text book boxing on display. Joshua would be well advised to avoid a rematch as Usyk has his number. I think the Ukrainian would have too much skill for Wilder but Fury is maybe a step too far. He seems an amiable guy and we can but hope he doesn’t get sucked in to the politics and The charlatans that oversee the game

Tyson Fury is without doubt the best, technically gifted boxer. Would beat anyone.

SuperstarSteve

I was chuffed Usyk didn’t get robbed on the scorecards. Hatton’s son was gifted a decision earlier on that night so I feared the worst. 

9-3 Usyk for me. Don’t see AJ winning a rematch. Bulk up and blow Usyk out within a few rounds is his only hope. High possibility He will likely end up gassed and KO’d himself though.

Crazy decision to stand there and try outbox Usyk, even more so with his feet in the wrong position against a southpaw. Goes to show just how much he’s still learning on the job because that’s amateur stuff. Should’ve been corrected by his team instantly. 

All in all bittersweet result. Biggest fight in British boxing history is no longer a possibility. As a fury fan I really wanted his comeback to end with a win over AJ for undisputed.

Although As a purist I can’t complain about Fury v Usyk. It will be an incredible chess match. Win that then retire and let the new generation of heavyweights enter the scene. AJ’s 2nd championship reign comes to an end and incredibly he didn’t face either of the other top 2 fighters in his division. That’s how I’ll remember his reign.  

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Tyson Fury is without doubt the best, technically gifted boxer. Would beat anyone.

I wouldn’t say fury is more technically gifted than Usyk. They are probably equal in the technical department what he has is a significant height, reach and weight advantage over usyk and unlike Joshua knows how to use it to his advantage. 

SuperstarSteve
54 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Agree

Agreed. Would handle himself in any era. If he can win undisputed he’s up there alongside Ali, Tyson, Lewis etc as one of if not the best heavyweight ever. 

21 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Agreed. Would handle himself in any era. If he can win undisputed he’s up there alongside Ali, Tyson, Lewis etc as one of if not the best heavyweight ever. 

Nonsense. 

SuperstarSteve
15 hours ago, Costanza said:

It was Fury's side that kiboshed the fight between them though?

Joshua is a limited boxer but not sure he's ducked a fight.

Wilder and Whyte rematch. AJ/Hearns fault those didn’t happen I personally feel. 

Fury fight was on fury’s team. 

28 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

None of the current crop of heavyweights are as good as the three above nor indeed Frasier Foreman Hollyfield and Larry Holmes.

SuperstarSteve
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Nonsense. 

It’s really not. He will be labelled as one of if not the best heavyweight to do it. Fury will be alongside those names in terms of greatness 100%. 

Does he beat them? Well thats a totally different debate. 

SuperstarSteve
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

None of the current crop of heavyweights are as good as the three above nor indeed Frasier Foreman Hollyfield and Larry Holmes.

Nah they aren’t but similar to joe Louis nobody from his era could compete with those guys either. Louis is still considered one of the best heavyweights and I believe fury will also regardless of level of competition.

Fury has two things going for him, he’s very good at dodging punches and he’s bloody enormous. His pawing style of punches is very effective when you’re 6’9” to keep fighters at bay. 

2 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Nah they aren’t but similar to joe Louis nobody from his era could compete with those guys either. Louis is still considered one of the best heavyweights and I believe fury will also regardless of level of competition.

Rocky Marciano statistically is one of the all time greats and a legend in his time. At 5 ft 10 and 13.5 stone he would have been overwhelmed by the giants of today. Joe Louis was destroyed by Marciano although in fairness he was nearing the end of his career. Like football we tend to romanticise the earlier eras but in truth athletes are generally fitter due to modern methods. Despite that I think the60/70s boxers would have more then held their own today. The other sporting events I can think off in relation to unsurpassed achievement is in the long jump and triple jump. Strange that two similar events have seen so much yesteryear dominance.

Byyy The Light

Usyk on points won me a few quid at 9/2. The odds were utterly ridiculous.  Also took him to win in the 10th and 11th at 40/1.  Crazy prices.

On 27/09/2021 at 08:23, ri Alban said:

Usyk"I thought he'd be tougher "

Joshua"I thought I was winning until the ninth" :rofl: Sure A 'Audley Mk 2' J.

To be fair, after 8 rounds he was ahead on one scorecard, behind on another and level on the third.  I personally had him 5-3 down at that stage, but rounds 2 and 4 were close (I gave both to Usyk) so I wouldn't die in a ditch arguing with someone who had it all square.

The Ukrainian judge gave AJ round 4 while the neutral judge gave him round 2, so they both had Usyk 3-1 up after 4 rounds, while I had it 4-0.  The British judge had it 2-2 after 4 rounds, and if he'd given AJ rounds 2 and 4 I'd have thought fair enough, as that would have meant 2 of the 3 judges had given AJ those rounds.  But the British judge gave AJ the first 2 rounds, no way AJ won round 1.

All 3 judges gave AJ rounds 5 and 6, and Usyk round 7, as did I.  The British and neutral judge gave AJ round 8, as did I, but the Ukrainian made it an even round.  So the neutral judge had it all square after 8, the British judge had AJ 2 rounds up and the Ukrainian had Usyk 1 up.

That tells us that the fight was still in the balance going into the championship rounds, however all 3 judges, me, and anyone else watching the fight gave Usyk the last 4 rounds.