Beni and Devlin

julienbrellier

Lets hope there is NO tinkering with those two.  Barring injuries and bookings they should start every game..  Lets hope Nelson sees that they pair are first team starters .  Devlin could become a cult hero if he maintains such form. Outstanding today. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts1975

• Sub4TiddlerMurray

• jamboinglasgow

• RobNox

LarrysRightFoot

Let’s remember it’s very early days for both - especially Devlin.

I do hope though the standard of player we have brought in helps improve our youngsters- they can see how these guys train and play. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Missed yesterday but really looking forward to seeing Devlin next Saturday - him and beni in midfield together sound some pair, particularly when you think of some of the guff we've had play there in recent years. Exciting times!

Edited by JH-HMFC

Cannae remember which thread it was on, but one poster was thinking that Devlin might be better replaced by Haring for certain games due to him maybe getting a hard time from bigger opponents.

His performance v Livi was an eye opener. He looked tiny, and yet is 5' 7". He was winning headers and was all over the park. Also, having seen the highlights, when he went down in the box just before Baningame got fouled for the pen, he sprung right back up like a jack-in-the-box looking for the return pass (and had his foot on the ball when the whistle went).

Maradona was, what, 5'5"? and Messi not much 'taller', and they're not exactly known for being out-muscled.

Devlin and Beni were having a good old laugh with each other after the penalty was given. I think Devlin thought he was slotting it in before Beni went down. Great to see smiles on faces. It was a tremendous display by the pair.

Club is in good hands while those two are playing together.

Full of talent, skill and energy which as someone said above the other players seem to feed of it.

What a great engine room.

jamboinglasgow
19 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I remember thinking a few years ago and around why we never fulfilled our vision of putting good young players in the side (via the academy or dev fees) who were ambitious, would show their worth with us and then get picked up for big money and preferably down south. 

And then just recycle the strategy. 

your last sentence is bang on and that is simply the pay off. It’s so important to have the right type of people to identify these type of players and we have that now with our recruitment team. 

Such a huge leap in a very little period of time. Augers well for the future indeed

Its still early doors, but looks like its been a strong strategy. 

Think key is that we are not just signing players with talent, but also players determined to prove themselves and view Hearts as the ideal place to do that. I think of Woodburn, a guy who could have easily lived off past glories and the fact he was on the edge of the Liverpool team at the start of the season. But he has knuckled down and even though he has not scored yet, I think he has been fantastic working hard moving the ball around and getting into positions required. 

One thing I am intrigued to see if it happens, is that if we got a big fee for our players, say we sold Beni for £4m (maybe overselling or underselling it, dont know) what do we do with that money.  We are not in debt so would not need to service that, do we put all the money to the first team budget (so can increase wages and transfer fees.) Do we reinvest it in the club to improve facilities. If our ultimate plan that we can sell players regularly (i.e. 1 a season at least) for a few million, then if it does happen it would be interesting to see where the money goes.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself as we have not sold any player for more than Hickey for a long time (and Hickeys money appears to be used to help us keep going in Covid times) but it is an interesting thing to think about after the early stages success of recruitment this summer.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Think key is that we are not just signing players with talent, but also players determined to prove themselves and view Hearts as the ideal place to do that. I think of Woodburn, a guy who could have easily lived off past glories and the fact he was on the edge of the Liverpool team at the start of the season. But he has knuckled down and even though he has not scored yet, I think he has been fantastic working hard moving the ball around and getting into positions required. 

One thing I am intrigued to see if it happens, is that if we got a big fee for our players, say we sold Beni for £4m (maybe overselling or underselling it, dont know) what do we do with that money.  We are not in debt so would not need to service that, do we put all the money to the first team budget (so can increase wages and transfer fees.) Do we reinvest it in the club to improve facilities. If our ultimate plan that we can sell players regularly (i.e. 1 a season at least) for a few million, then if it does happen it would be interesting to see where the money goes.

I know I am getting way ahead of myself as we have not sold any player for more than Hickey for a long time (and Hickeys money appears to be used to help us keep going in Covid times) but it is an interesting thing to think about after the early stages success of recruitment this summer.

It’s a good question indeed. 

Again, trying to not get carried away but When I look at the squad I can’t help but think that there are players in there that could net us serious money. Coupled with the fact that these same players still have some way to go to fulfil their overall potential 

On the basis of what you said and hypothetically, how would be re-invest the money I would then be more interested in where the academy comes into play

Would we invest in the academy or use the money to try and buy good young talent but who could come in to the 1st team squad. Like u say, with a point to prove.

Could be a combination of both. Would be interested to hear the likes of RN, JS, AM and AB in terms of what they think our long term strategy in terms of the academy will be 

Thought these 2 were outstanding and have been 2 excellent pieces of business by the scouting/management departments of the club.

My worry now is that other clubs will start to take serious note of players that Joe Savage starts to show an interest in.  clubs that have WAY deeper pockets than us in Scotland.  (You all know who I mean).

I'm not getting too excited as it's still early days but if these two can strike up a real partnership in midfield and if players like Woodburn and McKay keep being the outlets for their vision and energy, then who knows where we could be.

Motherwell on Saturday will be a different game, more of a bell weather game if you like, and the Sevco game on the 16th?  Well, if we can win there then maybe, just maybe, I will let the stauner spring forth.

But 1st, Motherwell.  Livi were shite on Saturday and, I hate to agree with their manager, but maybe the 2 games against the arsecheeks took a wee bit too much out of their legs.  3 tough games in a week for them.  Not saying we were not superb cos we were.  

No midweek games for either of us before Saturday so I'm just hoping we keep the standards up and hand out a royal fisting to them.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

It’s a good question indeed. 

Again, trying to not get carried away but When I look at the squad I can’t help but think that there are players in there that could net us serious money. Coupled with the fact that these same players still have some way to go to fulfil their overall potential 

On the basis of what you said and hypothetically, how would be re-invest the money I would then be more interested in where the academy comes into play

Would we invest in the academy or use the money to try and buy good young talent but who could come in to the 1st team squad. Like u say, with a point to prove.

Could be a combination of both. Would be interested to hear the likes of RN, JS, AM and AB in terms of what they think our long term strategy in terms of the academy will be 

Yeah its how I would ultimately would want us to be built, mainly a mix of academy products and well scouted players who have a point to prove (and some experienced players as you need that in a squad.)

I do think we should reinvest in the academy, I do think there should be money kept aside for academy recruitment. Celtic and Rangers can snap up the best talent as they can pay compensation fees to clubs, not saying we could do the level of Rangers and Celtic but if we had more money to play with we could look to recruit better young players.

Hackney Hearts
On 25/09/2021 at 20:58, Clear few said:

🎼“2 Cammy Devlins”

“There must be 2 Cammy Devlins, 2 Cammy Devlins there must be 2 Cammy Devlins!”🎶

Underselling him.

"Ten Cammy Devlins, there must be ten Cammy Devlins....."

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

We are due Budge £3.1m she loaned the club for her failures. Pay that off first and then look for more bargains like Beni and Devlin who look fantastic already. 

The movement and touch of these 2 combined with Woodburn and Mckay are in a different class to most in this league. Still think we are a bit short up front though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We do the Brentford model re player sales.

Use the money from player sales to buy undervalued talent but who are better than the players we sold. So we raise ourselves out of the free transfer market.

Then we sell them for more.

Incremental and marginal gains until we are performing at a higher level than we were and we can attract a higher quality of player than we previously could on the basis that players know we are a great platform and we can win things, play in Europe etc

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We are due Budge £3.1m she loaned the club for her failures. Pay that off first and then look for more bargains like Beni and Devlin who look fantastic already. 

Give it a break FFS. 
She has brought to the club (personally and through introductions) far more than she will ever receive back out again. Yes there have been mistakes. Yes she underestimated the work needed on football side. Yes she relied on one individual (who no-one called out as wrong at the time) and was far too long in fixing that. But she’s fixed it. I think we all agree, it’s early yet, but the foundations on the football side are now in place. 
Why do you feel the need to have a dig at her at this point in time? 
move on. 

On 25/09/2021 at 17:12, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Cracks me up that Aberdeen signed a washed up prick scott brown while we’ve signed them 2 😂

I'd love to know how much Beni is costing us (wages, signing fee, agent fees, etc) and how much Brown is costing Aberdeen. Beni is the better player now by an absolute country mile, and I'd be surprised if he's costing us any more than Brown, and he may well recoup all of it and more for us in time! The mutton molesters have zero chance of recouping a penny for Brown!

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Sid said:

Give it a break FFS. 
She has brought to the club (personally and through introductions) far more than she will ever receive back out again. Yes there have been mistakes. Yes she underestimated the work needed on football side. Yes she relied on one individual (who no-one called out as wrong at the time) and was far too long in fixing that. But she’s fixed it. I think we all agree, it’s early yet, but the foundations on the football side are now in place. 
Why do you feel the need to have a dig at her at this point in time? 
move on. 

It’s not fixed, the stand isn’t finished yet and anyone standing in a queue to be served by two staff on a match day to get your ST to work after three games of problems will attestify to that. 
I won’t ever move on from the millions her mistakes have cost us. 
I was responding to a post saying we had no debt, I gave a truthful response. 
Savage is doing a wonderful job as the two players this thread concerns shows, can’t remember being so impressed and happy with all eleven players as I was on Saturday, maybe we should stick to talking about that. 

On 26/09/2021 at 09:12, TheBigO said:

Ki

Yeah me too. But Blackie at his best. 2012 version.

2 things stood out for me.

How high up he and Beni played. Facilitated by our defenders allowing it and them trying to sit in. Ok, you u want to low block? We won't play Infront of it, we're confident enough to play right in it, in your box.

Our penalty came from this. Beni and Dev just wouldn't let them out.

You could say they're defensive players in a way but you use them to win the ball in the final third, that ain't defensive!!

Other thing was just how brilliant his interception was when they had a pass on to our right back area for a one on one. He saw it, he bust a gut to block it. It was properly impressive.

Great signs all round and you'd think this teams only Gona get better, right?!?!

That was some block, bust a gut to get it, loving the wee Oz buzz bomb.

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not fixed, the stand isn’t finished yet and anyone standing in a queue to be served by two staff on a match day to get your ST to work after three games of problems will attestify to that. 
I won’t ever move on from the millions her mistakes have cost us. 
I was responding to a post saying we had no debt, I gave a truthful response. 
Savage is doing a wonderful job as the two players this thread concerns shows, can’t remember being so impressed and happy with all eleven players as I was on Saturday, maybe we should stick to talking about that. 

Agree with last point. 

jamboinglasgow

Loved after Beni had his shot on goal which forced a good save from the goalkeeper, Devlin had an arm around him and joking with him. Love that they get on so well.

SpruceBringsteen

Devlin ruffling the hair of Slattery, a mutant hammerthrower twice his size is all I needed to see.

Love him. :loved:

I was sitting having a chuckle with my nephew who told me that a couple of seats behind us he hears a fellow fan say "take that Devlin aff, He's done F all."

😂

The upside of not being in Europe is that the players get plenty of rest between games.  No read to rest anyone unless they become a bit stale.

Should be a great battle at Ibrox when they are up against Kamara and Davis (I think).

Really rate Kamara, fantastic player but he has supposedly been off the boil in recent games.

21 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

I was sitting having a chuckle with my nephew who told me that a couple of seats behind us he hears a fellow fan say "take that Devlin aff, He's done F all."

😂

novichok does the job