Johnny Depp (cancel culture)

AlimOzturk

16 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It was about being found guilty on here without a trial.  I saw a pist you agreed with on this. 

Ok 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Ok 

I might've said she hit him but she wasn't found guilty of anything 

Though that's stretching it after seeing the pics. 

Leigh Griffiths never got charged and there's no holding back on him 

16 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I think getting a whallop from a guy is probably harder than from a female ? That’s the issue . Anyway heading to Gorgie farm for a coffee and roll before the match ! No exactly rock and roll 🎸 but nice clear head though 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think getting a whallop from a guy is probably harder than from a female ? That’s the issue . Anyway heading to Gorgie farm for a coffee and roll before the match ! No exactly rock and roll 🎸 but nice clear head though 

Enjoy the game and coffee.  

30 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Amber Heard cut JD's finger off with a broken bottle, after she threw it at him for not hitting her back. She's a psychopath and @Cade has, I see, posted his usual bollox.

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Never hit a woman in my life and never intend to. I came close to once when a female tried to stab me in the face with a screwdriver, but still walked away. My auntie died from the constant beatings she took from her husband. Despise men who beat women, but it’s still in no way acceptable for a woman to think it’s alright for her to physically abuse a man.

My brother was once clawed by a female to the extent that he had strips of flesh hanging off his arms. Doctors at the hospital said this is bad, don't ever let anyone do this to you again. Man or woman.

As for the domestic abuse that's something else and despicable.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

What does "being cancelled" even mean? It's not like there's an official procedure or a ceremony or anything like that. If I choose to stop paying attention to Johnny Depp because he appears to be a pretty creepy character, all while a few million other people are doing the same thing, is that not just an organic "cancelling"? Some of these posts are talking like cancelling is an organised and structured process. 

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

What does "being cancelled" even mean? It's not like there's an official procedure or a ceremony or anything like that. If I choose to stop paying attention to Johnny Depp because he appears to be a pretty creepy character, all while a few million other people are doing the same thing, is that not just an organic "cancelling"? Some of these posts are talking like cancelling is an organised and structured process. 

"Cancelling" can presumably involve losing one's job. 

Was Joanna Cherry "cancelled" from the SNP front bench? It probably felt like it. 

And presumably there are university lecturers etc who feel they are treading on egg-shells, lest they voice an opinion that causes offence.

6 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Cancel culture has been on the go for years and we just hear about people doing it now.

I like some rolling stones stuff but wouldn't buy any of there stuff as I can't stand mick Jagger...

I think I heard it in relation to the northern Irish problems that it isn't free speech if it costs you a slap.*

Express your views but accept their will be consequences if aired in public. 

*not advocating a slap.

Yeah, it’s not though. Cancel culture is an absolute myth. 

6 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Kevin Spacey has lost several roles since the allegations came up.

37 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

As has been said in previous posts, look at the film industry.  

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
59 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Kevin Spacey has been accused by over 15 men of sexual assault. As far as I know, he hasn't denied it, just that he can't remember. I think it's fair game that a few multi-million dollar movie and TV roles were shelved. If that's what people mean by cancel culture, then count me in. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Also, the movie industry is a terrible example to build an argument from about this. It isn't a meritocracy. Actors are only as employable as they are likeable to audiences for a million reasons. Film execs have probably wisely thought guys like Spacey and Depp aren't going to pull in viewers like they once did. Poor them. They can now join the ranks of thousands of women, to highlight just one example of Hollywood is a terrible benchmark for this, who found work like they had before dry up for having the audacity to turn 40 and then keep ageing. 

1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Kevin Spacey has been accused of sexual assault by 15 men. If that’s the best example you can come up with, your argument is falling flat here. 

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

As has been said in previous posts, look at the film industry.  

A couple of actors losing their gigs doesn’t really equate to a culture though, does it?

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Suffering any consequence for your actions = being cancelled by the woke mafia.

:rofl:

There is only one of that couple with a conviction for domestic violence….. and a conviction for hitting female partners….. and it ain’t depp

Kevin Spacey has been accused by over 15 men of sexual assault. As far as I know, he hasn't denied it, just that he can't remember. I think it's fair game that a few multi-million dollar movie and TV roles were shelved. If that's what people mean by cancel culture, then count me in. 

I'm clearly missing the point then.

if that's not cancel culture what is?

23 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Kevin Spacey has been accused of sexual assault by 15 men. If that’s the best example you can come up with, your argument is falling flat here. 

A couple of actors losing their gigs doesn’t really equate to a culture though, does it?

So it's okay to cancel on the basis of unproven allegations as long a they're serious enough and there's a few of them?

What exactly constitutes a culture then?

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Suffering any consequence for your actions = being cancelled by the woke mafia.

:rofl:

Losing your livelihood without due process is pretty grim ……

Marilyn Manson being a case in point.

heard has a conviction for domestic violence- no career impact.

Depp accused of something , loses roles.

the inherent sexism in this is ridiculous.

Kelly brook wrote about hitting her partner in her book, no consequences .

Women hitting men is laughed off .

Its base descrimination.

37 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I agree and that's why I said thre film industry.  

Previous post included actors who work with Polanski etc.   

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

TBH, I've always been on the look out for a blow from Kelly Brook.

(Izzat acceptable in 2021 :mw_confused:)

Anything that stops her taking is good …

43 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

So it's okay to cancel on the basis of unproven allegations as long a they're serious enough and there's a few of them?

What exactly constitutes a culture then?

I think it's fine to remove someone from the public eye while he's being investigated, yes. 

Question, if you employed someone who allegedly raped one of their colleagues, would you suspend them while this was being investigated or would you let them keep on working through the process?

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Its base descrimination.

Brilliant post.   

A different context but illustrates the differences. 

That comedian Shaun walsh got caught kissing a dancer on a night out and was ostracised and career took a hit because he done behind his girlfriend's back.  He was all the illegitimates under the sun etc.

Stacey Dooley the documentary maker was on the same show and done the dirty with a male dancer.  

The reaction to that was amazing. 

Folk even saying that we don't know what she went through in her relationship to make her do that etc.  Her career has went from strength to strength.

Base discrimination sums it up perfectly.  

Edited by Auldbenches

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Its base descrimination.

Aww, poor men. Women have it so easy 😕

I don't think Amber Heard does have a conviction for domestic violence by the way. And Johnny Depp lost a legal case at the freaking High Court in London over the label "wife beater". I'd say that was due process. 

Aww, poor men. Women have it so easy 😕

I don't think Amber Heard does have a conviction for domestic violence by the way. And Johnny Depp lost a legal case at the freaking High Court in London over the label "wife beater". I'd say that was due process. 

Heard was convicted of beating her x girlfriend.

She did hit depp, that was admitted.

How the two of them have been treated for the same thing is poles apart.

There is a tolerance of female on male violence- on TV if a man cheats it’s a slap across the face .

Its almost made out to be funny.

Whether women have it easy or difficult in other aspects of life is irrelevant.