New phone.

Sharpie

Because of my personal circumstances I thought it advisable to buy an I phone, and cancel my home phone service while retaining that number. I made the purchase exactly a week ago. While the tech person was programming the new phone, she removed and replaced the SIM card as things were not going as planned. I got the phone home, checked all the Apps etc, and entered my numbers addresses etc.  After a couple of days I was surprised how few calls I was getting, then my grandson and his Mum came to my house as his Dad was worried he could not contact me as the phone was dead. Went to the supplier and a new SIM was inserted, voice mail back. This morning on my PC I check my Emails nothing new, although my son said last night he was E mailing me.  No E mail, another trek to the supplier today, probably another SIM card.  Does it sound like I have been taken, if another SIM is needed that would be four in seven days. The phone is a Samsung A12, rated as not the most expensive but probably good enough for a minimal user such  as I, I will be back at the people who sold me the phone today and it is my intent to tell them to see how the signal is after they have inserted it in their anal orifice, and I will watch the new SIM card being installed. I have of course signed an agreement for the service so to some extent they have me pretty good. I know there is nothing you guys can do, I just have to ventilate to someone, so JKB get the ticket. Don't wait for a call, if I get my E mail sorted the phone will probably die again.

jack D and coke

Bob you said you were getting an IPhone. A Samsung is an android device pal and tbh if giving you issues I’d ask for a new phone. I can’t see how you’d need new SIM cards in all honesty. Sounds like some blocks or bars on calls somewhere but sometimes the dingbats in these shops can’t fix anything, I know from experience. 
Upgrade the handset to a better Samsung or actually get an iPhone. Apple iPhone. Bit more expensive but generally less buggy especially on the less expensive handsets. 

Don't get an apple iphone ffs, over priced fashion accessory. 

I bought my mum a smart phone off amazon for £40 and it's lasted her 5 years. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Don't get an apple iphone ffs, over priced fashion accessory. 

Agreed. Easier to work tho. Better OS or easier to use OS. 

My old dear had Android and trying to get her to work stuff was a pain. iOS defo a bit easier. 

highlandjambo3

I’m sure there is a get out clause with any new contract……14 days I think to change your mind……..they have to tell you this by law but it’s usually mentioned in font size 6 somewhere in between page 2376 and 6527 of the new contract.

Get on Tech-Radar and find a phone that has the functions you need, or decide a price limit and Google "best phone for under £x 2021".

Sure people can provide a list of functions you may want, but bear in mind the salespeople always oversell especially to older people - Last time I was in a Carphone Warehouse I was queuing behind this old dear who really didn't need the latest Iphone at £60pcm - she only wanted talking and texting...

Then go and return what you bought as they've already had 3 chances.

Not having emails on your PC shouldn't have anything to do with your phone? 

I assume you have WiFi installed at home?

The phone should be able to connect to the WiFi even without a sim card that works and be fine for everything except text (SMS) messages and phonecalls.

The phone you have will be fine fkr your needs.

Think you just need to get the family (probably best with the Grandson!) To come round and help set everything up for you. Absolutely no reason those things shouldn't work unless the phone is actually broken. Which should be obvious to those in the shop.

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’m sure there is a get out clause with any new contract……14 days I think to change your mind……..they have to tell you this by law but it’s usually mentioned in font size 6 somewhere in between page 2376 and 6527 of the new contract.

I actually went and asked about that and they assured me there was no escape clause. They did say I could check again in six months. As of time of writing it seems to be working, my needs to be honest are minimal, and it seems thats what I am getting. Like they say no fool like an old fool. My full objective was that I could keep my land line number, as I no doubt fairly soon will have to sell my house and go in to an assisted living facility. This simple as it seemed action was so that I would not have to advise persons of my new number, I suppose it will work out, heres hoping.

2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I actually went and asked about that and they assured me there was no escape clause. They did say I could check again in six months. As of time of writing it seems to be working, my needs to be honest are minimal, and it seems thats what I am getting. Like they say no fool like an old fool. My full objective was that I could keep my land line number, as I no doubt fairly soon will have to sell my house and go in to an assisted living facility. This simple as it seemed action was so that I would not have to advise persons of my new number, I suppose it will work out, heres hoping.

I've never heard of someone being able, or even trying, to transfer a landline number to a mobile. It may be possible but things may be different in Canada.

As much as it is a pain to have to update everyone you know of your new number it may just be an inevitable nuisance you need to sort out over a day or 2 calling or texting everyone whose number you have.

A Boy Named Crow

Phones are getting that complicated and expensive,  I'm weighing up the pros and cons of only communicating in person, or if distance is a problem, handwritten letter.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

8 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Is the phone on a contract?  If it is, it sounds like they're just palming you off.  According to the Canadian Government 'Wireless Code'...

Trial period

You can return your cellphone within 15 days, without penalty, if you are unhappy with your service. Use up to half of your allowed monthly usage during the trial period.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/code.htm

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

They’re at it……..it’s called a “cooling off” period.  It’s designed to allow you to read through the small print of the contract, something which is reasonable to assume you won’t be able to do at the point of sale because of the time it would take.