McCabe……Grass

rudiatemyhamster

rudiatemyhamster

Never knew a McCabe, however if you were from a certain part of Edinburgh at a certain point in time ‘McCabe Grass’ was the most prolific graffiti of all time.

’McCabe Grass’ appeared literally everywhere.  Written in huge letters across the West side of Edinburgh.   Was a quasi cultural phenomenon.  It even inspired copycat ‘McCabe Grass’ graffiti.  Even ‘Banksy’ would have a slight tinge of jealously if they had been witness to it.

Anyway.  Whilst driving today, 30 years later, it popped in to my mind.  ‘McCabe Grass’ I reminisced.  Who was that dare devil and what was their grudge that inspired several trips to B&Q for paint, and numerous nights slopping paint all over themselves daubing unfathomable amounts of graffiti in giant letters on everything from bus stops to underpasses to over bridges? 

Oh come on what about the classic “ Marilyn Clark “ graffiti from the early 90s? There were various bits of graffiti about her , mainly in the city centre , on the Waverley bridge . One was 

“ Marilyn Clark is a wee wee ( sic) blonde bitch “ . The abuse gradually got worse worse . I often wondered who she was 👍😂

Салатные палочки

You never seem to see graffiti like that anymore. Social media has probably seen to that.  

There was a spate of grafitti attacks in my village around the early 90s, "McNaughton's are Murderers". I think they got a bit excited one night whilst doing the side of the local garage and wrote "McNaughton's are Murdererers". 

"O'Neill's are Innocent" was another around that time. I believe they actually were fitted up for a murder they didn't commit.

We need more surname statements painted in our towns and villages IMO. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh come on what about the classic “ Marilyn Clark “ graffiti from the early 90s? There were various bits of graffiti about her , mainly in the city centre , on the Waverley bridge . One was 

“ Marilyn Clark is a wee wee ( sic) blonde bitch “ . The abuse gradually got worse worse . I often wondered who she was 👍😂

The Marilyn Clark stuff was like an early pre internet example of something going viral. It ended up all over Edinburgh with people not even knowing what it was but putting it up for a laugh. It even spread to Leith. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Marilyn Clark stuff was like an early pre internet example of something going viral. It ended up all over Edinburgh with people not even knowing what it was but putting it up for a laugh. It even spread to Leith. 

Yes it went “ viral “ in it’s day . I eagerly awaited the updates about her and so did my friends . It was a big discussion point with us ! 

Exploited barmy army on the wall at the end of my street very early 80s 

Can still make it out to this day if you look really really close 

I’m coming up for 30 this year In my years of growing up I got up to no good but I have never ever thought about spraying shit on walls and never knowing anyone to do this 😂😂 who are these people 😂😂

Maybe the odd bit of graffiti in the work bogs about Celtic or Hibs fans in work sucking cock but nothing outside on shop walls or under bridges 🤣

Edited by Stu_HMFC

6 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

In the early 1970's  Bay City Rollers was sprayed over the city.

It was done by Tam Paton.

Last one to survive was top of Waverley Steps, in fact it was the only one I recall, and that lasted probably until the escalators were put in, during that development period.  Was iconic really!

Best graffiti from.my youth was...

Clash city Nitten in the bus stop outside the back tattie shop at the start of Newtowngrange. 

They could've updated it in the 90s with  Newtongrunge...

Governor Tarkin
17 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it went “ viral “ in it’s day . 

So did Miss Clark, according to the graffiti.

14 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

In the early 1970's  Bay City Rollers was sprayed over the city.

It was done by Tam Paton.

Is your surname McCabe by any chance?

The lyrics from The The's Heartland was sprayed on the walls outside New Register House in the late 80s/90s.

This is the land where nothing changes. 

The land of red buses and blue blooded babies. 

This is the place where pensioners are raped. 

And the hearts are being cut from the welfare state. 

19 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

You never seem to see graffiti like that anymore. Social media has probably seen to that.  

There was a spate of grafitti attacks in my village around the early 90s, "McNaughton's are Murderers". I think they got a bit excited one night whilst doing the side of the local garage and wrote "McNaughton's are Murdererers". 

"O'Neill's are Innocent" was another around that time. I believe they actually were fitted up for a murder they didn't commit.

We need more surname statements painted in our towns and villages IMO. 

No you don't. These days it would probably be something like 'HANG MCCABe'.

Edited by Lemongrab

7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

No you don't. These days it would probably be something like 'HANG MCCABe'.

Social media has amplified all this grass stuff.  Look at the 'podcast wars..' and you'll see that are all accusing each other of being nonces and grasses. 

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

So did Miss Clark, according to the graffiti.

Yes apparently she had “ the virus “