Ben Woodburn Yellow Card Rescinded

Jambo in Bathgate

Jambo in Bathgate
Just now, 1953 said:

It was hard to see from the other end but I assumed the booking was for arguing with the ref. He seemed adamant that he was the one who was fouled right enough.

Says on Twitter it was for simulation. 

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Should think so as well. That ref was ****ing hopeless. *****!

I thought up then that the ref who I had never heard of was doing ok.

He then gave a free kick against Boyce when pulled down from behind with opponents arm wrapped around him.

I just seemed to be constantly shouting "you're joking ref" for the rest of the match.

I was in line with the penalty box at that end. After I sat down I turned to my brother-in-law and said that was a stonewaller. The County fans around me thought l was joking. Vindication

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I thought up then that the ref who I had never heard of was doing ok.

He then gave a free kick against Boyce when pulled down from behind with opponents arm wrapped around him.

I just seemed to be constantly shouting "you're joking ref" for the rest of the match.

Tbh, I didn’t notice him much before that point either. You could see by his face he knew he’d got it wrong booking Ben. 

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

So that's 2 points deducted by the SFA.

Nice of them to take away the yellow card right enough.....

This is what annoys me. They’ll rescind the booking, but we’re left with the aftermath of the bad decision. Just as we were on 1/1/06, where the red card was cancelled, but the effect that it had on our title challenge remained.

3 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

This is what annoys me. They’ll rescind the booking, but we’re left with the aftermath of the bad decision. Just as we were on 1/1/06, where the red card was cancelled, but the effect that it had on our title challenge remained.

Almost makes you wish we had VAR. 😳

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Almost makes you wish we had VAR. 😳

If the VAR referees watching the TV pictures were the same crap/biased Scottish refs, I'm not sure I'd have any more confidence that we'd get correct decisions. I'd want it to be neutral, non- Scottish VAR refs.

37 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I didn't think it was a dive at the time but neither was it a penalty. 

1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I didn't think it was a dive at the time but neither was it a penalty. 

Correct, if you completely ignore the fact that the rules state that a deliberate foul in the box is a penalty.

Ref couldnt wait to get the card out. Knew he was crap when their keeper rushed out the box to clear a ball and was then out of position, gave offside against Boyce (I think) for a ball he hadnt gone for. How many times does play continue when a player is offside but we end up with a throw in in our own half and no offside.

The ball to Woodburn was played behind him so he did have to stretch back but it definitely wasnt a dive, wonder if players from a different team would have got the free kick. Boyle seems to get one every time someone touches him.

11 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Correct, if you completely ignore the fact that the rules state that a deliberate foul in the box is a penalty.

It didn't look a clear cut foul.

I didn't think it was a foul either. The way I saw it, Woodburn was reaching back for the pass that was played slightly behind him. But as he was running at full pelt, he lost his balance and went down. And the ref randomly called that simulation.

Would like to see it again though...if others think it should have been Hearts' pen. Anyone got the footage?

13 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

I didn't think it was a foul either. The way I saw it, Woodburn was reaching back for the pass that was played slightly behind him. But as he was running at full pelt, he lost his balance and went down. And the ref randomly called that simulation.

Would like to see it again though...if others think it should have been Hearts' pen. Anyone got the footage?

Full 90 mins are on the BBC iPlayer. Go to the ALBA section. It's around the 47 minute mark on the programme, 41st minute of the match.

I agree with you, Woodburn just over stretches. No foul either way for me.

35 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

The RC player clearly clipped him on the back of the leg!

52 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The RC player clearly clipped him on the back of the leg!

Just had a look on the iPlayer – it's quite hard to tell in real time but this screenshot suggests it was a foul, albeit outside the box.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.11.58 pm.jpg

I knew the ref a few years ago while he was still only doing lower league games. His main attribute was a refusal to ever see a ref as having called anything wrong. Even when it was totally blatant and everyone in the media was in agreement and the TV evidence was undeniable, still he would defend every decision. He certainly wasn't pro-Hearts, believing that the club was too critical of refs.

This was an absolute travesty of the highest order. He plainly was tripped by the RC player 

At worst, and at the very very worst, We don’t get the penalty 

But to book the player for simulation! Absolutely incredulous

Its about time these so called referees are asked to explain and justify their decisions to the paying public. They think that they are beyond giving an explanation to justify some of the nonsensical decisions that they make 

It’s the fact that he booked Ben basically saying that he dived, therefore was trying to get a penalty in addition to trying to get their player sent off - deliberately. It’s a f…… joke of the highest order 

No fecking wonder they introduced VAR. That should in theory work wonders in Scotland. More muppets involved with running our game than most other places 

still seething about that one tbh 

So Hearts got nothing instead of a goal scoring chance with a penalty,but what happens to the referee the financial cost of these mistakes could be significant.What repercussions does he suffer.

14 hours ago, 1953 said:

It was hard to see from the other end but I assumed the booking was for arguing with the ref. He seemed adamant that he was the one who was fouled right enough.

Booking was for simulation.  RN ws incensed at it as it tarnishes a players reputation and immediately after the match said the Club would appeal it.. I didnt know a yellow card could be appealed and rescinded. 

1 minute ago, Disco Ball said:

Booking was for simulation.  RN ws incensed at it as it tarnishes a players reputation and immediately after the match said the Club would appeal it.. I didnt know a yellow card could be appealed and rescinded. 

Can be appealed for simulation and mis-identification of a player, I.E wrong player booked instead of a teammate.

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Can be appealed for simulation and mis-identification of a player, I.E wrong player booked instead of a teammate.

So is it the match referee who sanctions the rescinding of the card after a review (like VAR pitchside on screen) or a panel?

Ex member of the SaS

Time for full time ref's with the sanction of demotion to lower league money if mistakes are made. In the mean time Hearts lose a chance to go top and possibly lose money in league position at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Disco Ball said:

The only yellow card that can be appealed. 

We've had a few 

But not a more clear and obvious error when player booked after opponent tripped by his own player

Edited by Mikey1874

The frustrating thing about this is how the habitual cheats, like Boyle, seem to get away with diving for penalties more often than they should. 

To be fair to referees, it can't be easy sometimes, when so many players these days go down looking for decisions that can put an professional player in trouble. The current addition of the girly scream from the likes of Davidson of St Johnstone makes those players look even more pathetic. 

3 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Fair point about reputation. Either way it's a poor substitute recinding the card instead of a penalty and potential 2 more points.