***Official Heart of Midlothian v Livingston fc match day thread***

Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, Barack said:

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/07/low-block-park-the-bus-jose-mourinho-diego-simeone/

This is quite interesting. Watch out for it tomorrow, & how Hearts set about trying to defeat it. 

4-2-3-1...

As I harped about most of last season, we struggled to break down deep defences in too many games last season.

Most games so far, opponents have been offensive, this will be a test for our Head Coach.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• sadj

• King prawn

22 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I agree totally. I have to say so far I am very disappointed in his contribution albeit early in the season.

Maybe he is one of those players that is quite happy sitting on the bench, I hope not but he doesn't look like he has a lot of fight in him.

image.png.fb573ab35336fd4acef0d5f4a4175c3b.png

seemed to have plenty of fight in him here.

it's a long season for which RN has built a strong squad. All the forward players will get their chance. 

23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

As I harped about most of last season, we struggled to break down deep defences in too many games last season.

Most games so far, opponents have been offensive, this will be a test for our Head Coach.

A test for our players as well, presumably. 

ROBBIE NEILSON INTERVIEW:

https://t.co/IY6BORkGvu 

Robbie’s thoughts from the pre-match press conference: speaks about last weekends draw in Dingwall, the threat Livingston pose, fitness levels of new signings improving and fan grumbles. 

As always reads appreciated, article also on my twitter @jamiemcint0sh 

Good interview with Cameron Devlin out tomorrow.

Jambo na hÉireann

I don't buy all this stuff about perpetual nil-nil draws. Teams made up of different players don't maintain the muscle memories of previous teams. 

Having said that, this one has nil-nil written all over it...

17 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

image.png.fb573ab35336fd4acef0d5f4a4175c3b.png

seemed to have plenty of fight in him here.

it's a long season for which RN has built a strong squad. All the forward players will get their chance. 

Wrong type of fight though. The jury is still out on him for me. On his game he is undoubtedly a good player but I have a feeling that most of the time his head has to be in the right place for him to play well.

I think back to the Aberdeen game where he made no attempt to track back resulting in their goal and after that his head went right down and he looked deflated and was desperate to get off the park.

I know no two players are the same and some need an arm round them and encouragement and others just need a kick up the backside.

I agree it is a long season and Robbie has built a decent squad but at the moment I can only see Ginnelly as a bit part player.

Hope I am wrong, I really want him to be playing well. I really would prefer him to be playing instead of GMS but I just don't see that happening.

25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A test for our players as well, presumably. 

We need players like GMS to convert their chances more often than they do.

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Wrong type of fight though. The jury is still out on him for me. On his game he is undoubtedly a good player but I have a feeling that most of the time his head has to be in the right place for him to play well.

I think back to the Aberdeen game where he made no attempt to track back resulting in their goal and after that his head went right down and he looked deflated and was desperate to get off the park.

I know no two players are the same and some need an arm round them and encouragement and others just need a kick up the backside.

I agree it is a long season and Robbie has built a decent squad but at the moment I can only see Ginnelly as a bit part player.

Hope I am wrong, I really want him to be playing well. I really would prefer him to be playing instead of GMS but I just don't see that happening.

Wrong type of fight? sounds like the old "wrong type of leaves on the line" thing that British Rail used to say :) 

That goal v celtic showed desire, commitment and a will to score and win. But do agree that his defending was very poor for the Aberdeen goal (hence why I wouldn't play him at wing back).

all about opinions and perceptions - its what makes watching footy great.

I would rather have Ginnelly on from the start - he's still one of the few players we have who's happy to try beat his man on the wing and put a cross in. 

If we have any aspirations of finishing top 3 or 4 then this is a must win game. 

We have better players than them, we just need to take our chances and ideally take one early doors.

9 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

WTAF??????????

Edit: never mind, looks like you've had the pish ripped enough already! :)

😂 and deservedly so 🤦🏻‍♂️

52 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Wrong type of fight? sounds like the old "wrong type of leaves on the line" thing that British Rail used to say :) 

That goal v celtic showed desire, commitment and a will to score and win. But do agree that his defending was very poor for the Aberdeen goal (hence why I wouldn't play him at wing back).

all about opinions and perceptions - its what makes watching footy great.

I would rather have Ginnelly on from the start - he's still one of the few players we have who's happy to try beat his man on the wing and put a cross in. 

If he only he would try and do this. I have hardly seen him do this so far this season and that's what he should be doing.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

I don't buy all this stuff about perpetual nil-nil draws. Teams made up of different players don't maintain the muscle memories of previous teams. 

Having said that, this one has nil-nil written all over it...

I'll bet my muscles have forgotten more than yours can remember 😎

So NO requirements to bring any COVID jag documentation at tomorrows game against Livi then..  

Just matchday ticket and wallet for bevy..🍻

Just now, maroonlegions said:

So NO requirements to bring any COVID jag documentation at tomorrows game against Livi then..  

Just matchday ticket and wallet for bevy..🍻

Correct. Your round!

54 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

If he only he would try and do this. I have hardly seen him do this so far this season and that's what he should be doing.

I’ve seen him do it this season (as with you I’d like to see more) - but quite often he’s  at a standing start so always difficult - but he does have that explosive burst of pace.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, 8skacel8 said:

If we have any aspirations of finishing top 3 or 4 then this is a must win game. 

We have better players than them, we just need to take our chances and ideally take one early doors.

Not it's not. 

We could win this 5-0 and fall of a cliff later in the season, like wise- we could drop points and finish 3rd. 

Folk talking about this game like it is a must is nonesense. 

Lots of drama inside folks heads on this thread. 

Agreed tho, an early goal could make things a lot easier. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not it's not. 

We could win this 5-0 and fall of a cliff later in the season, like wise- we could drop points and finish 3rd. 

Folk talking about this game like it is a must is nonesense. 

Lots of drama inside folks heads on this thread. 

Agreed tho, an early goal could make things a lot easier. 

Maybe not a must win but, if we have ambitions of top 3/4, it really is a should win. 

Sooner we get into the habit of winning these games, the better. If we don't, home draws could become common place and they won't get us where we want to be.

It would do wonders for confidence if we could win and win well.

I'd happily accept Hearts 1-0, however.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Maybe not a must win but, if we have ambitions of top 3/4, it really is a should win. 

Sooner we get into the habit of winning these games, the better. If we don't, home draws could become common place and they won't get us where we want to be.

It would do wonders for confidence if we could win and win well.

I'd happily accept Hearts 1-0, however.

Agreed, much better than this   "must win" nonsense. 

We shouldn't just chuck the next 30 odd  games should we not win this one. 

Plenty points available, the more we get the better. 

37 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I’ve seen him do it this season (as with you I’d like to see more) - but quite often he’s  at a standing start so always difficult - but he does have that explosive burst of pace.

You would think that the coaches would see this and try and get the ball over the fullbacks so he can use his pace.

I think that is one of the drawbacks with our style of play with Smith at RWB.

22 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You would think that the coaches would see this and try and get the ball over the fullbacks so he can use his pace.

I think that is one of the drawbacks with our style of play with Smith at RWB.

hopefully they do and when playing Ginnelly / wingers this is the plan, but rarely happens due to the pesky opposition closing down space - or pushing up to play for the offside.

think Ginnelly is featuring a tad less this season as he was possibly our main attacking threat (in terms of creating chances as well as taking) - we now have GMS, Woodburn & McKay ( to a lesser degree Walker) vying for starts

Just now, Jim Panzee said:

hopefully they do and when playing Ginnelly / wingers this is the plan, but rarely happens due to the pesky opposition closing down space - or pushing up to play for the offside.

think Ginnelly is featuring a tad less this season as he was possibly our main attacking threat (in terms of creating chances as well as taking) - we now have GMS, Woodburn & McKay ( to a lesser degree Walker) vying for starts

He is also a bit injury prone to which seems to hold him back a bit. His type of player with explosive pace do tend to get more than their fair share of injuries, unfortunately.

Massive pressure on the team and manager in this game. Fail to win and it's 1 win in last 6, which would be concerning.

At some point we surely must start putting all these chances away? GMS has to stop missing absolute sitters as well.

Must win game 🙃 this place is beyond parody at times.  It's must win if we are to go a full season unbeaten in the league. Any other way of.looking at it, it clearly is not.

No wonder people will be frothing at the mouth if we don't win 4-0. Chill out lads

6 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Once the oppositions crossing is assessed and in respect of the average percentage of elevation from the ball leaving the pitch (opposition stats), and type of trajectory in the air, the block stance is then recommended to the defensive player. 
Low block does not really allow for anything other than the lower part of the body to be used. 

😳

3 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Must win game 🙃 this place is beyond parody at times.  It's must win if we are to go a full season unbeaten in the league. Any other way of.looking at it, it clearly is not.

No wonder people will be frothing at the mouth if we don't win 4-0. Chill out lads

Maybe you need to chill out bud.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed, much better than this   "must win" nonsense. 

We shouldn't just chuck the next 30 odd  games should we not win this one. 

Plenty points available, the more we get the better. 

If we have aspirations to finish in the top 3 then beating the likes of Livy can be termed a must win type of game.

If we don’t who the feck is suggesting we Chuck the next 30 games - pure drivel from you Tosh!

highlandjambo3

I think we should have a go and shoot on sight, don’t try to run the ball into the back of the net if they are going to sit in deep….hopefully they would then push out to protect the back line/keeper and in we pop😂….easy peasy if you ask me.

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Massive pressure on the team and manager in this game. Fail to win and it's 1 win in last 6, which would be concerning.

At some point we surely must start putting all these chances away? GMS has to stop missing absolute sitters as well.

🤣🤣🤣

A_A wehatethehibs

Interesting to see what we get in this game.

I think it’s fair to say, the team has done well for a start to the season but there will be increasing pressure tomorrow from the home fans. It’s the first league home game where we 100% expect to dominate the game and win. Obviously folk will say Hibs but you know what I mean, it’s been 3 of last seasons top 4 at Tynecastle so this is the first game where you realistically expect nothing less than a win. 

I can see us making hard work of it with the fans getting frustrated to be honest. Tomorrow is all about finding any way to get 3 points. I don’t expect it to be particularly pretty. If we’re in to half time at 0-0 folk shouldn’t boo because there’s nothing wrong with that. The most important thing first half for us is to avoid conceding a goal because Livi will shut up shop and look to smash and grab. Keep it level to the second half, and we’ve got plenty fire power off the bench, we will get chances. 

The Grim Reaper
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's what? In the League? 

Our form is as follows in all competitions since the first league game of the season. 

WWLDWDD

48 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

:rofl: 

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

It's hilarious. 

If we don't win, third is goosed. 

There really will be no way back if we don't win this- "must win" game. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Our form is as follows in all competitions since the first league game of the season. 

WWLDWDD

Very decent form that is, happy with that so far, considering 4 of those games have been against top 4 sides

But definitely needs backed up now with another similar good run  

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's hilarious. 

If we don't win, third is goosed. 

There really will be no way back if we don't win this- "must win" game. 

Am afraid it is a must win game, your hero GMS won't start.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Thankfully it's not a must win game. 

GMS- my hero?

You on the bingo? 

A_A wehatethehibs

Just checked, out our next 9 games only 2 are against top 4 from last season opposition. So if we could get 4 or 5 wins, a few draws and only 1 or 2 losses, we would be looking secure for top 6, and giving ourselves every chance to compete for Europe maybe with an addition or 2 in January depending on the market. A win tomorrow really is very important. This run up to Christmas now is the bread and butter for the season, this is where we can set ourselves up at the right end of the table not playing catch up 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Can see us winning, but won't be easy. Ultimately, after the dropped points vs Aberdeen, Hibs and County, I just want to get 6 points in the next 2 games by any means necessary. Livi always seem to drag us down to their level so bite your hand off for a 1-0 win.

Not sure if pointed out elsewhere in the thread, but Wednesday was 3 years to the day since Livi held us to a frustrating 0-0 draw after a strong, unbeaten start to the season. We bounced back with a hard-fought home win the following week vs St Johnstone (Motherwell next week), followed by a trip, and subsequent first defeat, to Ibrox immediately after the international break. So with that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see us falter to a aneurysm inducing 0-0 draw tomorrow. :) 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

He is also a bit injury prone to which seems to hold him back a bit. His type of player with explosive pace do tend to get more than their fair share of injuries, unfortunately.

he certainly has had time off with injury(s) with - around 3 months - but nothing out of the ordinary before - I remember him being a tad peeved about this (https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/josh-ginnelly-hits-back-injury-prone-jibes-hearts-winger-thanks-tynecastle-support-3118782)

as long as he can look after those hamstrings we'll hopefully see more of him

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s a should win game. 

Its a find any ****ing way to win by hook or by crook make sure you get the 3 points game. 

Seems to be a few similar posts today. I don’t think many of us will be looking for a performance, really it is all about the 3 points tomorrow. Precisely because of it being a “should” win game, which in turn means Livi can play without any pressure on them whatsoever with all the pressure on us.

I think we will deal with it in the end and get over the line. It’d be nice to see McKay and/or Woodburn get a first goal 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

It would be good to get an early goal in these types of game. If Livvy come to sit in I'd like to see what they did if we scored in the first 15 minutes.

Bazzas right boot

I'll pretend for a few seconds that it's a must win game. 

If we lose or draw, the consequences will be dire...... 

Naw they wilnae 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Penny for an Aberdeen fans' thoughts, on teams under "massive pressure." 

He's two or three smashing  results from turning it round or if it goes the other way their season could be shattered. 

Their fans will be hoping for cracking performances but I hope it all ends in pieces. 

8 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Their dealer/manager more or less said that would be their game plan in his interview yesterday

I'd love to walk away from Tynecastle back to the car tomorrow knowing we have hammered them 5-0 6-0 someone is due a hammering and I really hope it's them and their daft looking manager. 

Whats the team news for tomorrow is Smith back or still injured? 

Hoping GMS is dropped tomorrow. 

Guest ToqueJambo
41 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Not sure you get what a must-win game is. Must-win games are games with dire consequences if we don't win it. St Mirren at the end of 19/20 for example - must win game. A relegation play-off or title decider - must-win.