Tynecastle rated 9th best atmosphere in UK by Four-Four-Two (Old Firm 1st and 2nd)

AlphonseCapone

They haven't done their homework. 

According to them nothing equals the passion and atmosphere of an OF Derby. 

This season there is only one set of fans at these games. 

Last season away fans were restricted to 800 tickets. 

Added to the fact any 'atmosphere' generated has nothing to do with football. 

Based on the Scottish grounds listed in the Glasgow Times article as making the list, doesn't look like the stuck very closely to the 'atmosphere' requirement. Maybe that wasn't what 4-4-2 actually said. Victoria Park 5th best club ground would be a weird call. Including Hampden can only be on the basis it is used for big games, we all know its design is rubbish for atmosphere. Then there is the list of smaller grounds that can only be included on the basis that they are in interesting/ beautiful locations, not because of their atmosphere - Dumbarton, Fort William, Inverness, Fraserburgh, Eriskay, Arbroath.

highlandjambo3

It’s all based on the clientele who are asked to conduct the survey…. 1000 glesswigians asked about best stadium atmosphere………the result is split between ibroke/darkheed…..ask the sheep and it’ll be their pit.

I watched a program few years back where the vote was about the 10 best scenic places in the UK, believe it or not Scotland didn’t have any scenic spots in the top 10 but, the lake districts came 1st😂 with their jet skies, banana rings towed by speed boats etc………..eg:

1 million people visit the Lake District every year, 250,000 (25%) say it’s the dugs nuts……then 100,000 people visit Loch Ness 75,000 (75%) say it’s the K9’s tickled bits…..by sheer volume of voters, the Lake District wins.

1 hour ago, Under the floodlight said:

Found this little gem on TripAdvisor, how strong are the drugs in Edinburgh.😁

1979685420_2021-09-2118_04.33www.tripadvisor.com23cc733f6938.jpg.5eb3b7a5f9620b1eb35d4b900137022b.jpg

You can bet your house on it that "jonny "was passing harthill services around 4.15pm on Saturday 19th may 2012

6 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

1979685420_2021-09-2118_04.33www.tripadvisor.com23cc733f6938.jpg.5eb3b7a5f9620b1eb35d4b900137022b.jpg

August 2020 when there were no supporters.  Sure 

6 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

What a bizarre thing to brag about - cleaner stadium on non-match days!! Like bragging about undersoil heating or floodlights. I wonder if they could come from the same sort of person?

13 hours ago, jambo-fletch said:

Anyone got a link to the full list, can’t seem to find it?

Sunderland & Newcastle should be quite high. In Scotland, Tynie is the away fans favourite to attend (saw that statement a few years ago). I thought septic park was good in the 1998 final. As a stadium I prefer it to castle greyskull. Norwich before redevelopment was good. They had a corner similar to the old shed (not as good obvs) which was bouncing throughout the game. 

15 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

“Not a fan of either team” :lol:

Aye, ok Jonny :rofl:

The list is of the 100 Greatest Grounds. Criteria used are beauty, atmosphere, location, history & away end. The icon used for location is a pint glass so it's presumably proximity to pubs that counts.

11 hours ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Wtf is Hampden doing on the list?

The atmosphere at a full Hampden is tremendous.  

The ground itself is awful, but there's no lack of atmosphere

37 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

The list is of the 100 Greatest Grounds. Criteria used are beauty, atmosphere, location, history & away end. The icon used for location is a pint glass so it's presumably proximity to pubs that counts.

If it was proximity to pubs, Ibrox would be in 100th place !

Edited by Boab

2 hours ago, King prawn said:

Does this article even exist? I can't find it from searching 442 magazine atmosphere UK :lol: 

Yes it does..I work on a news mags dept & 442 magazine came in today so I had a quick look

11 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

What a bizarre thing to brag about - cleaner stadium on non-match days!! Like bragging about undersoil heating or floodlights. I wonder if they could come from the same sort of person?

It's like saying they have better mops.  

16 hours ago, 22games nro said:

You can bet your house on it that "jonny "was passing harthill services around 4.15pm on Saturday 19th may 2012

🤣🤣🤣

18 hours ago, luckydug said:

They haven't done their homework. 

According to them nothing equals the passion and atmosphere of an OF Derby. 

This season there is only one set of fans at these games. 

Last season away fans were restricted to 800 tickets. 

Added to the fact any 'atmosphere' generated has nothing to do with football. 

Buckfast and other high-alcohol concoctions play a significant part from what I’ve seen over the years…🤢

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Grounds don't make atmospheres. The people inside them do.

Only to a degree John. Look at the difference in atmosphere with West Ham. Upton Park had a great atmosphere as the stands were on top of the pitch whereas the current dust bowl they play in struggles due to how far the fans are from the pitch. Even although there is nearly double the number from the UP days. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, rubyruby said:

Yes it does..I work on a news mags dept & 442 magazine came in today so I had a quick look

Is that what W H Smith and John Menzies are calling it nowadays? 

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

It's like saying they have better mops.  

Well, they did invent them.  :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Well, they did invent them.  :thumbsup:

Their most fickle first is that scoreboard.   It was just a big plugged in version of thoese ones you got with subbuteo.

19 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Written August 12th 2020 

By Jonny the Hibby.

Season ticket holder and smack addict of 30 years 

😁

4 hours ago, King prawn said:

Does this article even exist? I can't find it from searching 442 magazine atmosphere UK :lol: 

The actual paragraph on Tynecastle 

" Ask scottish supporters to name their best away ground,and the chances are most opt for Tynecastle. It's a belting ground-the crowd are almost on top of the players, while steep stands keep the noise in."

Then it states this ..

"Did you know? 

An ambitious overhaul of the main stand was delayed when the club forgot to order seats for it.No, really."

20 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

Written by Jonny age 7 from Leith 

I remember after the Liverpool game i took a look on their forum and they were blown away by the atmosphere. Second only to some Turkish team they played. High praise.

I remember during the game it was almost like their fans were shell shocked. You'd think scousers up for a party to Edinburgh and expecting a win would be pissed up and bouncing. It got to the point where we sang, "shall we sing a song for you" :laugh:

Forever Hearts
9 hours ago, Marvin said:

Sunderland & Newcastle should be quite high. In Scotland, Tynie is the away fans favourite to attend (saw that statement a few years ago). I thought septic park was good in the 1998 final. As a stadium I prefer it to castle greyskull. Norwich before redevelopment was good. They had a corner similar to the old shed (not as good obvs) which was bouncing throughout the game. 

You prefer being stuck in a corner behind a pillar? Really?

PS. Castle Greyskull is where the good guys stay.

15 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

You prefer being stuck in a corner behind a pillar? Really?

PS. Castle Greyskull is where the good guys stay.

I never stood behind a pillar. I stood to the side so that I could see the pitch 😛

Forever Hearts
44 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I never stood behind a pillar. I stood to the side so that I could see the pitch 😛

I'm surprised the lovely stewards and police who work at Parkhead let you away with that.

Top 10 are:

1 Ibrox

2 Celtic Park

3 Anfield

4 Craven Cottage

5 Old Trafford

6 Villa Park

7 Tottenham Stadium

8 St James' Park Newcastle

9 Tynecastle

10 Wembley

Other Scottish in top 100

18 Easter Road

28 Hampden Park

34 Victoria Park

38 Pittodrie

43 Dumbarton Stadium

52 Recreation Park Alloa

54 Glebe Park Brechin

57 Bellslea Park Fraserburgh

60 Claggan Park Fort William

70 Caledonian Stadium Inverness

74 Balmoor Stadium Peterhead

77 Gayfield Park Arbroath

89 Cappielow Greenock

In the lower half of the list, a scenic location or an unsual feature seems to be the most importatn criteria.

Edited by Gibbo

Tough to disagree with the top 10, although I would have Tynie at the top.

Been to Spurs a few times and I thought it lacked atmosphere!  Never been to Craven Cottage, so can't comment.

Would change Wembley for Sunderland which has a cracking atmoshere when full

The rest deserve to be there though!

1 hour ago, a11ank said:

Tough to disagree with the top 10, although I would have Tynie at the top.

Been to Spurs a few times and I thought it lacked atmosphere!  Never been to Craven Cottage, so can't comment.

Would change Wembley for Sunderland which has a cracking atmoshere when full

The rest deserve to be there though!

Agree with you about Spurs a11ank - very quiet unless they have scored or are on top. And Craven Cottage?! Been a few times and wouldn't rank the atmosphere. They have those clappers like Leicester and Brighton - can't stand them. Any idea where Crystal Palace are Gibbo? My son will not be happy that Hearts are above them! 😄😄

23 hours ago, EagleJambo said:

Agree with you about Spurs a11ank - very quiet unless they have scored or are on top. And Craven Cottage?! Been a few times and wouldn't rank the atmosphere. They have those clappers like Leicester and Brighton - can't stand them. Any idea where Crystal Palace are Gibbo? My son will not be happy that Hearts are above them! 😄😄

Selhurst Park is 64th.