Elton John

rudi must stay

Not a fan at all, other than quite liking a (very) few of his songs over the years, but certainly admire his talent as a writer and musician. He seems a decent person as well.

Massive fan of his. Seen him live a good 12 times, got a signed ticket and Davey Johnstone's plectrum from a gig. 

The way he has managed to stay top of his game for over 50 years is incredible. Talent and clearly kept a passion for what he does. 

Just now, buzz said:

Big fan of early Elton. His later stuff, not so much.

Songs From The West Coast is his best album in my opinion from early 00s. I love all his music but a lot of his albums to me aren't consistent all the way through with the exception of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Too Low For Zero. Every song from Songs From The West Coast is a beauty.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

Songs From The West Coast is his best album in my opinion from early 00s. I love all his music but a lot of his albums to me aren't consistent all the way through with the exception of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Too Low For Zero. Every song from Songs From The West Coast is a beauty.

Made In England is a belter 

1 minute ago, EH11_2NL said:

Always think folk are deid when all that's on the title is a name. So he's not deid?

No deid. New album out next month in fact...

Although he did postpone his tour dates til 2023 due to a dodgy hip... Gutted as I was looking forward to it

Just now, rudi must stay said:

No he isn't 

I think he's like Bowie. When he's good, he's amazing but there has been some meh stuff too. 

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Made In England is a belter 

It is! I think a lot of his later stuff is very underrated. Bernie Taupins lyrics have much more maturity and I prefer his post surgery deeper voice

A genius in my eyes.

Will never be one of the greatest though due to him never writing his lyrics and not being a multi instrumentalist.  That been said he is a master of his craft.

9 minutes ago, jambostuart said:

I’ve got a CD I bought in the early 90’s I think. Called ‘Two Rooms’ . It’s a compilation of Elton John/Bernie Taupin songs done by other artists.

Some great tracks on it but I’ve not heard it for ages as I’ve not got a CD player any more and I can’t find it on Sonos.

11 minutes ago, buzz said:

I’ve got a CD I bought in the early 90’s I think. Called ‘Two Rooms’ . It’s a compilation of Elton John/Bernie Taupin songs done by other artists.

Some great tracks on it but I’ve not heard it for ages as I’ve not got a CD player any more and I can’t find it on Sonos.

There's some good songs on that. If I recall Sting and Bon Jovi do a couple of tracks.

There's been a few attempts since by modern artists. A deluxe version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road had other artists singing the tracks and Elton and Bernie released Revamp, with pop stars like Ed Sheeran singing the songs, which was terrible, and Restoration, which had country stars singing the songs, which I really liked.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

A genius in my eyes.

Will never be one of the greatest though due to him never writing his lyrics and not being a multi instrumentalist.  That been said he is a master of his craft.

That's quite a strict criteria that rules out a lot of genuine geniuses. 

So Paul McCartney, Prince, Stevie Wonder and so on as they meet the essential parts of the person spec? 

A Boy Named Crow
6 hours ago, jambostuart said:

No deid. New album out next month in fact...

Although he did postpone his tour dates til 2023 due to a dodgy hip... Gutted as I was looking forward to it

New album, a tour booked in for 2023? Did he not have that big retirement world tour thing a couple of years ago?

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Malinga the Swinga

Saw him doing concert at Playhouse years back. Great show from a great entertainer.

Candle in the Wind and Daniel best songs for me.

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

That's quite a strict criteria that rules out a lot of genuine geniuses. 

So Paul McCartney, Prince, Stevie Wonder and so on as they meet the essential parts of the person spec? 

In my eyes McCartney is the master of all.

7 hours ago, buzz said:

This is what I wanted to mention. It's a fantastic album and goes to show how strong so many of the John/Taupin songs are and, for me, it also shows just how unlistenable Elton John's voice is. They did some brilliant match ups for that album:

Kate Bush on Rocket Man

The Who on Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

George Michael on Tonight (just awesome!)

Beach Boys on Crocodile Rock

Definitely worth looking out for.

As well as "Dill Dandin", this parody by Neil Innes kind of nails the John/Taupin dynamic. Love a bit of Neil Innes:

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

My guess was that was what you were angling at. 

I love Elton John though. My post could not have said this more. But it can't be overlooked that he does and has never written his lyrics or played anything but the piano. The guy is a genius.

When McCartney writes a song however he is involved in every singe note, key, word and beat of it. If there is even a click of a finger or a blink of an eyelid in it, his ear and creation has made it happen.

Elton is so so good but he will never be a McCartney. This is not a bad thing. Maradonna was world class but just wasn't a Pele.

Edited by i8hibsh

11 hours ago, buzz said:

Big fan of early Elton. His later stuff, not so much.

This

Captain Fantastic album is a classic 

Could proper rock back in the days 

6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

New album, a tour booked in for 2023? Did he not have that big retirement world tour thing a couple of years ago?

It's like the tour that never ends but instead it's the tour that never plays... He postponed some due to pneumonia, some for Covid and still keeps adding new dates...

His new album is called The Lockdown Sessions and is songs he has collaborated on with artists such as Gorillaz, Rita Sawayama and others such as Nicki Minaj. I've heard a few of the tracks and it is very hit or miss. As mentioned, loved "It's a Sin" and loved "Chosen Family" but his remixes and hip hop collaborations where he just plays piano and doesn't sing can bolt

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I love Elton John though. My post could not have said this more. But it can't be overlooked that he does and has never written his lyrics or played anything but the piano. The guy is a genius.

When McCartney writes a song however he is involved in every singe note, key, word and beat of it. If there is even a click of a finger or a blink of an eyelid in it, his ear and creation has made it happen.

Elton is so so good but he will never be a McCartney. This is not a bad thing. Maradonna was world class but just wasn't a Pele.

Pity Paul can't sing and Pele is famed for his misses. Maradona is a far superior player to anyone who has played the game. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pity Paul can't sing and Pele is famed for his misses. Maradona is a far superior player to anyone who has played the game. 

McCartney had an amazing voice ffs. His vocal range was exceptional too.  Pele won 3 world cups and made it all happen before Maradonna was even born. He was a real pro with such talent. He was a pioneer like McCartney. Maradonna was immense but was an idiot I am afraid, a waster and due to this only shone for a short while.

McCartney can't sing ffs, go and listen to the Beatles properly man for the love of ****.

10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Saw him doing concert at Playhouse years back. Great show from a great entertainer.

Candle in the Wind and Daniel best songs for me.

Was that the one it was just him and his piano, no backup musicians at all? I was there and it was fantastic, he started the show coming up from below the stage playing the organ

Don't diss McCartney.  He gave us the Frog Chorus, FFS.

Seriously, though, while not an Elton John fan as such (I could sit and listen to a greatest hits album quite happily), credit where credit's due.  You don't have the career he's had without being one of the best at what you do.

18 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

I think he's like Bowie. When he's good, he's amazing but there has been some meh stuff too. 

Bit like most artists, mind you Abba were hard to beat, got Eltons greatest hits, some great tunes.

Hes a great entertainer . Not the greatest vocalist but puts on a show . Camp as Xmas really !   I like 

I’m still standing

i guess that’s why I call it the blues 

Your song 

I  was lucky enough to see Barbra Streisand In Concert at an open air venue ( always the best ) .  What a voice and stage presence . Totally owned the crowd . An Amazing night! 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

In my eyes McCartney is the master of all.

But wasn't at the levels of Prince. Dode Harrison named him as the greatest in his eyes too. 

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

McCartney had an amazing voice ffs. His vocal range was exceptional too.  Pele won 3 world cups and made it all happen before Maradonna was even born. He was a real pro with such talent. He was a pioneer like McCartney. Maradonna was immense but was an idiot I am afraid, a waster and due to this only shone for a short while.

McCartney can't sing ffs, go and listen to the Beatles properly man for the love of ****.

Paul McCartney is the reason that the Beatles diversified with their music.  

No sergeant pepper etc without him.

Like him or not, hebis the most successful artist in world history 

More people own a bit of art by him than anyone else. 

He just wasn't as mouthy* as Lennon. 

*which is why I like Lennon. 

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I think there's a big music gig he's playing on, soon. Can remember what it is.

it's the global citizen event, only gig he's not postponed due to his hip as it's for charity and only 5/6 songs he'll be playing

44 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Elton John or Vic Reeves pub singer : 

The other funny one is that Asian lassie singing ken lee. 

Just type that into YouTube