• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• PortyBeach

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

So far, I don't  mind big Ange, seems honest enough guy and not flying the Celtic bullshit flag yet.

I think they are a better team than Rangers, who have dipprd from last season.

Whether Ange is out of his depth, reamains to be seen, imo.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just need to keeping injuring their Japanese player.

In other news.

I'll be careful what I say here but a certain current septic player underwent some form of assessment by a person close to me and they said that they had absolutely 0 core strength to the point they couldn't hold a plank longer than 30 seconds. I'm talking about a very well known player.

It seems their training is pretty much all cardio and no strength or core work. Pretty embarrassing for him in particular and the entire team.

16 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I'll be careful what I say here but a certain current septic player underwent some form of assessment by a person close to me and they said that they had absolutely 0 core strength to the point they couldn't hold a plank longer than 30 seconds. I'm talking about a very well known player.

It seems their training is pretty much all cardio and no strength or core work. Pretty embarrassing for him in particular and the entire team.

How big was the plank?

Spotted an article earlier on a sport website (can't remember which one) talking about major football clubs whose finances were in a bad way. The crest's featured on the article were Barcelona, Derby County and another I didn't recognise. I wonder what is going on financially at Celtic. I tell you, if foreign Owner's start pulling out of England, that league is in BIG trouble. Some of the spending is unsustainable. Has big Ange not spent quite a few bob since he came in? Best bit about Celtic, they let the best Goalkeeper in the league go for nothing...brilliant transfer business.

Clark Griswold

Was nice to see they had about three quarters of the Livi stadium, so basically a home game, and still couldn’t win. 

3 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Was nice to see they had about three quarters of the Livi stadium, so basically a home game, and still couldn’t win. 

That was lovely to see 

38 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Couldn't have happened to a better club.

Unfortunately I think they had cash reserves to cover this loss so probably no massive debts.

31 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Oh how I love seeing them struggle.

Also, anyone remember anything special happening in 1998?👀

Too early to get too excited. In 2018-19 they were 1 point better off after 6 games and won the league comfortably on 87 points. In 2014-15 they were 2 points better off on 11 and ended up with 92 points. Of their relatively poor starts in the last 10 seasons, only the 11 points taken in 2012-13 came in a season when they finished with a notably poor points total - 79points. Even then they won the league by 16 points, but it was at least a points total that teams outside the old firm have achieved on occasion.

51 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Oh how I love seeing them struggle.

Also, anyone remember anything special happening in 1998?👀

Aye, we almost got relegated.  

26 minutes ago, wigwam123 said:

Spotted an article earlier on a sport website (can't remember which one) talking about major football clubs whose finances were in a bad way. The crest's featured on the article were Barcelona, Derby County and another I didn't recognise. I wonder what is going on financially at Celtic. I tell you, if foreign Owner's start pulling out of England, that league is in BIG trouble. Some of the spending is unsustainable. Has big Ange not spent quite a few bob since he came in? Best bit about Celtic, they let the best Goalkeeper in the league go for nothing...brilliant transfer business.

I was listening to the sportsound podcast during my cycle home from work last night and they were saying Celtic have spent £20+ million this transfer window. 

Pasquale for King

Love it, **** them. 
Haven’t won away from home since February, won’t get a better chance to finish above them with their current manager in charge. 

5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Did we? 🤔

When the season started in 1998, yes. 

Colin Cameron was out injured for the first 3/4 of the season and we rallied towards the end thanks to him, Darren Jackson and Gary McSwegan finding his shooting boots. We were bottom as late as mid-March iirc.

Did we? 🤔

We were close. Going into the second last game against Dundee Utd, we were only two points ahead of them in eighth place. We won that and the sheep game the following week to finish 6th.

It was the days before the split, with two up, two down

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just need to keeping injuring their Japanese player.

In other news.

Saw yesterday that McCarthy was signed with no input from Ange or the scouting department. Desmond just wanted an Irish international at the club and as he was Premier league player he seemed ideal. Then gave him a 4 year contract.

There does seem to be a lot of problems behind the scenes. Seems to be internal struggles and would not surprise me if Lawell has not really left.

Bazzas right boot

His style he is implementing has it's flaws. 

Can see them handing out lots of thrashings but also dropping points in games where the opposition team matches them or holds on and doesn't fold. 

Might take him another transfer window to sort it out or it could come good quicker. 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

We were close. Going into the second last game against Dundee Utd, we were only two points ahead of them in eighth place. We won that and the sheep game the following week to finish 6th.

It was the days before the split, with two up, two down

We finished 3rd in 1998. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Colin Cameron was out injured for the first 3/4 of the season and we rallied towards the end thanks to him, Darren Jackson and Gary McSwegan finding his shooting boots. We were bottom as late as mid-March iirc.

98', did we not end up 3rd? 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

We finished 3rd in 1998. 

The above Sky piece was talking about their start to the 98-99 season.

That was the season we took a nosedive.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Love it, **** them. 
Haven’t won away from home since February, won’t get a better chance to finish above them with their current manager in charge. 

Big statement that. 

I'd be suprised if they got less than 80 points, think only 1 non of team has ever got more than 80 points and it's happens once 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yes. If he's talking about 98/99 then that's stretching things a bit. We won the cup in 98 and finished 3rd. End of. 

5 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Early April we were bottom. The two victories against Dundee Utd probably saved us.

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We finished 3rd in 1998. 

but the season in reference is 1998/99 not 1997/98 when we finished 3rd and won the cup

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Yes. If he's talking about 98/99 then that's stretching things a bit. We won the cup in 98 and finished 3rd. End of. 

98-99 season to the 2021-22 season is 23 years. No stretching at all.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

1997/98 - third. 98/99 (the season that Celtic had their bad start and the topic of this thread) we struggled badly through the winter. 5 wins in the last 8 games (after no wins between 6th December and 6th April) saw us finish a remarkable 6th place. It did not look good for a long spell. Went 7 games without scoring.

The thread is about 1998/99. 

Yet again a foreign manager arrives and already you can feel the media starting to sharpen the knifes, Glass at Aberdeen is a shambles, Gerrard got 3 years at Rangers, Jim Goodwins St Mirren are pish, McPake at Dundee not won a game, McKay at County no wins. I know Celtic are a big story but you get the feeling another couple of iffy results and it’ll be all out attack on Ange. 

Don’t get me wrong the more Celtic struggle the happier I’ll be but there’s a pattern in our media.

22 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I was listening to the sportsound podcast during my cycle home from work last night and they were saying Celtic have spent £20+ million this transfer window. 

That is incredible. I posted a thread about expectations yesterday in The Terrace. Imagine if we had spent £20m and were currently where Celtic are.

2 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

1997/98 - third. 98/99 (the season that Celtic had their bad start and the topic of this thread) we struggled badly through the winter. 5 wins in the last 8 games (after no wins between 6th December and 6th April) saw us finish a remarkable 6th place. It did not look good for a long spell. Went 7 games without scoring.

Aye, it was a long way from the evening KO, first game when we beat the old Rangers !

Thought we were going to kick on after winning the cup but it was a painful season !

Had a ST in the old stand then. Was rocking that night.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

That's actually more amusing than the other two pieces. 

Said in the paper this morning that he wasn't singer bu the manager or scouted by their scouts.

Someone else was moaning about him not having his own coaching staff.

They are mess behind the scenes and no one in our media says anything. 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Said in the paper this morning that he wasn't singer bu the manager or scouted by their scouts.

Someone else was moaning about him not having his own coaching staff.

They are mess behind the scenes and no one in our media says anything. 

Would love to know why Eddie Howe broke off negotiations with them. I suspect he saw the state of the place and opted for a few more months unemployed. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Yet again a foreign manager arrives and already you can feel the media starting to sharpen the knifes, Glass at Aberdeen is a shambles, Gerrard got 3 years at Rangers, Jim Goodwins St Mirren are pish, McPake at Dundee not won a game, McKay at County no wins. I know Celtic are a big story but you get the feeling another couple of iffy results and it’ll be all out attack on Ange. 

Don’t get me wrong the more Celtic struggle the happier I’ll be but there’s a pattern in our media.

The board making signings like vlad but nothing said.  Go for the foreign manager though. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Would love to know why Eddie Howe broke off negotiations with them. I suspect he saw the state of the place and opted for a few more months unemployed. 

Probably trid to force Kennedy et al on him  

Just now, Boab said:

Aye, it was a long way from the evening KO, first game when we beat the old Rangers !

Thought we were going to kick on after winning the cup but it was a painful season !

Had a ST in the old stand then. Was rocking that night.

In a way Forever Hearts is right, we are maybe stretching it a bit to say we nearly got relegated after finishing 14 points from bottom. However, when we took the field against Dunfermline at teatime on Monday May Day we were only 4 points ahead of them and they really fancied their chances of closing that to 1 point with 3 games left. Another historical reason that 2019/20 being ended was a ridiculous decision. 

34 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

They have also received a fair bit of cash for players such as Ajer, Edouard and Christie

Edited by Footballfirst