Ryan Stevenson - Talks Sense

suds66

complete control
18 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Anyone that thinks Celtic and Rangers won't finish 1st and 2nd quite comfortably is away with the fairies. 

Im away with the fairies then. Rangers will finish 1st and celtic 2nd.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, complete control said:

Im away with the fairies then. Rangers will finish 1st and celtic 2nd.

You might be... But I didnt mean it in that order, I should have said those two in either order, 1st and 2nd.

22 hours ago, Bickfest said:

They were all more than 2 years ago. No goals this season, and only one last season, in November against Alloa.

Maybe the fact that he hardly played due to injury had something to do with that

complete control
1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You might be... But I didnt mean it in that order, I should have said those two in either order, 1st and 2nd.

aye nae bother mate. At least 20 points aswell.

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

We will drop points and have dips in games tho, I expect that, we won't dominate every game. 

It won't be easy to win the games v them away but I can see us winning there. 

We’ve ‘dominated’ one league game this season. That was at Tannadice and even then they had a spell in the game.

We, along with 4 or 5 other teams in this league are at the upper end of average. The margins between finishing 3rd and finishing 6th are going to be slim, you can see that already.

Simple things like GMS missing a sitter per game against Aberdeen and Hibs cost us 4 points. That could be 2 or 3 league places at the end. 

We’ve got to be ruthless. Consistently dropping points at home to rivals doesn’t say ruthless to anyone. No one fears us. It’s about time they did.

complete control
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve ‘dominated’ one league game this season. That was at Tannadice and even then they had a spell in the game.

We, along with 4 or 5 other teams in this league are at the upper end of average. The margins between finishing 3rd and finishing 6th are going to be slim, you can see that already.

Simple things like GMS missing a sitter per game against Aberdeen and Hibs cost us 4 points. That could be 2 or 3 league places at the end. 

We’ve got to be ruthless. Consistently dropping points at home to rivals doesn’t say ruthless to anyone. No one fears us. It’s about time they did.

Agreed

It's funny, I always thought of Stevo as a loose cannon when he was a player at Hearts but this is all very level-headed sense.

No harm in aiming for the moon though.

On 21/09/2021 at 14:17, Bickfest said:

I agree with this. They appear very vulnerable and we have a squad which should be good enough to take advantage. But I personally feel our biggest weakness may be a lack of goals from midfield, rather than an absence from the forward line. Every good side we've had in the last 20-30 years has seen a big scoring contribution from midfield (Bannon, Mackay, Fulton, Cameron, Hartley, Skacel etc), but I just don't see where that will come from in this squad. Devlin, Woodburn, McEneff perhaps? Certainly not Beni, Haring, Cochrane. We desperately need a goal threat/spark from that area. If we can get that, we're in with a shout.

Spot on. The three teams that won the Scottish Cup all had one thing in common: a top class number 10. In 1998 it was Cameron and in 2006 and 2012 it was Skacel. In the 91/92 team that finished second, John Millar contributed a decent amount of goals. With a goalscorer like that we'd probably have beaten Aberdeen, Hibs and Ross County. Woodburn and McKay both look like good attacking midfielders but not convinced that either will be a 15 goal a season type player. Hope they prove me wrong though. 

Edited by stirlo

Guest ToqueJambo
On 22/09/2021 at 00:46, mikey51 said:

😂😂completely agree and it is clear to see why folk start foaming at the mouth when we drop a point, if they genuinely believe we can win the league 😂

Sure I'm not alone amongst people who were around for 85/86 in believing that anything is possible in football, especially considering how we started that season and how the previous 3 seasons we'd been 7th and 5th, and couldn't even win the old First Division when getting promoted. That season has shaped me as a football fan - I don't get stressed at a 6-2 defeat early in the season and don't get too carried away if we're leading the league.

You probably had to have been there as it's too unbelievable otherwise to think pretty much the same squad of players and manager(s) could go from 7th the previous season to 7 minutes from the title in one season - and in probably the most competitive time in Scottish football when D Utd and Aberdeen had top class (world class even) teams as well as Rangers and Celtic still being strong compared to the rest.

Just one injury to Robbo, JC or Levein after the first few games of 85/86 and we could easily have been in a relegation fight instead of challenging for the title that season! Always such fine lines in football - never stop believing!

On 22/09/2021 at 17:39, JimmyCant said:

We dominated at Ross County - check the stats. We had enough chances to win two games