Hibs v Hearts Women

Kiwidoug

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

They never do - seen loads of their mob on the pitch getting ushered gently back into the stands by stewards.

It's just exuberance, NB.

A comment that removed any doubt that Hibernian FC know their fanbase well and it's, ahem, culture.

There's a magnetic force between that club and the city's underbelly.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Stendelnator

• Mikey1874

• Kiwidoug

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm all for womens football, said it before, and will say it again, but the women in my family just aren't interested, only in the mens game, its hard to see how this will ever take off no matter how hard its pushed.

I reckon the 2 most popular womens spectator sports are tennis and golf, both really competitive, not sure why football has not got to that stage, even the WSL down south has difficulty getting competition up. Somehow they have to get more people involved, raise the bar, otherwise this could be a very expensive project long term, sustainable seems to be the word of the decade, not sure this is.

The women’s game at our level is already doomed to failure. 

Everything is geared towards the major clubs that can throw £millions at their affiliated women’s teams and there is no interest in developing the rest to bring more competition. They have learnt from their mistakes with the men’s game and will not want anything other than BIG clubs playing BIG matches. 

Media consumed by that ethos too. The Guardian has a healthy interest in the game but not one mention online (I think) of last nights game. Not one positive report on the crowd size. Plenty of chat about Chelsea v Man Utd (attendance 2700) though. 

We should continue to play and hopefully it will grow organically but there seems little sense in throwing money at an impossible dream. 

3 hours ago, dannymack said:

WTF ????? 

Is this a wind up ? 

Heard today it was a hearts fan arguing with other hearts fans about a player on the park 🤷🏻‍♂️ he does have a maroon jumper on

Kalamazoo Jambo
51 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Media consumed by that ethos too. The Guardian has a healthy interest in the game but not one mention online (I think) of last nights game. Not one positive report on the crowd size. Plenty of chat about Chelsea v Man Utd (attendance 2700) though. 

BBC website had reasonable coverage (including live updates, albeit fairly sparse ones). Although they do love a typo…

B9C2DBCA-55FC-45B8-92B3-D2363A89029A.jpeg

ooh-aah-cantona
2 hours ago, Sergio said:

Heard today it was a hearts fan arguing with other hearts fans about a player on the park 🤷🏻‍♂️ he does have a maroon jumper on

From my vantage point of this incident, the laddie didn’t seem the full shilling and was calling 4 guys “Jambo C U Next Tuesdays” and asked to meet them outside.

He appeared to be a Hibby.

10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I'm all for womens football, said it before, and will say it again, but the women in my family just aren't interested, only in the mens game, its hard to see how this will ever take off no matter how hard its pushed.

I reckon the 2 most popular womens spectator sports are tennis and golf, both really competitive, not sure why football has not got to that stage, even the WSL down south has difficulty getting competition up. Somehow they have to get more people involved, raise the bar, otherwise this could be a very expensive project long term, sustainable seems to be the word of the decade, not sure this is.

I have the slightest interest in Hearts' womens' results because it is HMFC-related but I really cannot see myself ever attending a game even if free. I just get the impression the BBC it trying to support women's football for a few years as it is an affordable alternative and they don't have much other sport to offer nowadays. Basically it suits the wokeish agenda and is cheap...It's sad that they don't even see Scottish football as a better option than women's football.

21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I have the slightest interest in Hearts' womens' results because it is HMFC-related but I really cannot see myself ever attending a game even if free. I just get the impression the BBC it trying to support women's football for a few years as it is an affordable alternative and they don't have much other sport to offer nowadays. Basically it suits the wokeish agenda and is cheap...It's sad that they don't even see Scottish football as a better option than women's football.

"The wokeish agenda"? Really? In case you weren't aware, women were *BANNED* by the male-run SFA from playing football for a large part of the last century. If "wokeish agenda" means anyone who troubles your comfy little existence then I'm sorry but you need to look around you and smell the coffee, because the world does not exist to keep you happy. If that's your attitude then tbh I don't think the women of Hearts WFC will miss your support particularly. The Hearts fans who do turn up to Oriam every other week and who were at Easter Road last night are there because they want to support their club and the players who have earned the right to represent the badge. In the case of the women's team that right took a hell of a lot more fighting for and its a credit to the club that they now stand shoulder to shoulder with the male players at various events. Plenty of clubs where that still doesn't happen. As for the final sentence - has it not occurred to you that they're supporting *Scottish* women's football??? 

Let's be serious - Hearts have the resources to buy a women's team that could put a serious hole in the hopes of Glasgow City, etc. and still not impact the men's budget, such are the wages currently commanded in SWPL1. But the strategy they've gone for is to invest instead in bringing through a really class bunch of youngsters, supported by some very dedicated experienced players who are combining training for 10+ hours a week with a 35-hour a week job. The risk for Hearts is that any one of those youngsters could disappear with a "pro" contract in a moment and any one of those experienced players could decide that their regular 9-5 is enough; mine is and I'm sure yours is too. The reward for Hearts is the loyalty of a what is a very promising bunch of players. There are 5 involved in the Scotland U19 squad heading out to the Euros later this month and another 1 or 2 were involved in earlier camps this summer. Imagine if the men's first team, or even the U18s had 5/6 Scotland squad members!

The future is maroon, my friend. And female.

John Findlay
6 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I wouldn't worry Sky are going that way too. They promote their live coverage of the WSL more than they do the Scottish Premiership. Would love to hear Mr Donaster's explanation on that.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I wouldn't worry Sky are going that way too. They promote their live coverage of the WSL more than they do the Scottish Premiership. Would love to hear Mr Donaster's explanation on that.

The men’s game up here is behind the WSL now in terms of media interest across the UK. 

John Findlay
29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The men’s game up here is behind the WSL now in terms of media interest across the UK. 

The English media have ignored Scottish football for more years than I care to remember.

Just now, John Findlay said:

The English media have ignored Scottish football for more years than I care to remember.

True but we have fallen further down the pecking order now. 

There were as many at Easter Road on Wednesday than there were at Goodison for Everton v Man Citu, a game that was heavily promoted as the best the game can offer. 

But yes, we are ignored. You can see it on Sky when they have reporters at diddy English clubs with tiny crowds and completely ignore the likes of us. 

**** Sky. 

Sky et al ignoring men’s Scottish football is a major issue - Doncaster and his useless self interested cronies have to take a good slice of blame for the low profile. I view it as separate to the profile of women’s football rising though. 

19 hours ago, scarletheart said:

"The wokeish agenda"? Really? In case you weren't aware, women were *BANNED* by the male-run SFA from playing football for a large part of the last century. If "wokeish agenda" means anyone who troubles your comfy little existence then I'm sorry but you need to look around you and smell the coffee, because the world does not exist to keep you happy. If that's your attitude then tbh I don't think the women of Hearts WFC will miss your support particularly. The Hearts fans who do turn up to Oriam every other week and who were at Easter Road last night are there because they want to support their club and the players who have earned the right to represent the badge. In the case of the women's team that right took a hell of a lot more fighting for and its a credit to the club that they now stand shoulder to shoulder with the male players at various events. Plenty of clubs where that still doesn't happen. As for the final sentence - has it not occurred to you that they're supporting *Scottish* women's football??? 

Let's be serious - Hearts have the resources to buy a women's team that could put a serious hole in the hopes of Glasgow City, etc. and still not impact the men's budget, such are the wages currently commanded in SWPL1. But the strategy they've gone for is to invest instead in bringing through a really class bunch of youngsters, supported by some very dedicated experienced players who are combining training for 10+ hours a week with a 35-hour a week job. The risk for Hearts is that any one of those youngsters could disappear with a "pro" contract in a moment and any one of those experienced players could decide that their regular 9-5 is enough; mine is and I'm sure yours is too. The reward for Hearts is the loyalty of a what is a very promising bunch of players. There are 5 involved in the Scotland U19 squad heading out to the Euros later this month and another 1 or 2 were involved in earlier camps this summer. Imagine if the men's first team, or even the U18s had 5/6 Scotland squad members!

I was talking about the BBC and you responded about the SFA...They are not the same thing. 

Women have never been banned from playing football they were simply not able to do it under the SFA organisation. That is also very different. If women had wanted to they could've started their own female-only governing body...The reasons women wanted to play football under the auspices of the SFA were credibility and finances ie the exact same things the Hearts Women's Team gets from Hearts... The club doesn't do women's football for money or glory, it does it for equality and community - a cynic might say it is essentially for PR, as is the OF reaction of both jumping on the bandwagon and going pro. That was pure one-upmanship, to show that they are the big fish in our wee pond.

I suspect the Hearts fans who turn up, do so because it is cheap or free and connected to Hearts. 

I suspect women's football is here to stay, at least for a while. Whether it thrives though? Well I'm far less than convinced than you that the future of football is female. I'm not being misogynist saying that, just stating an opinion.

Edited by Spellczech

22 hours ago, scarletheart said:

my granddaughter has just signed for Hamilton Accies under 13s . i await the bid from Hearts to sign her . 

Forever Hearts
On 01/10/2021 at 07:49, Nookie Bear said:

True but we have fallen further down the pecking order now. 

There were as many at Easter Road on Wednesday than there were at Goodison for Everton v Man Citu, a game that was heavily promoted as the best the game can offer. 

But yes, we are ignored. You can see it on Sky when they have reporters at diddy English clubs with tiny crowds and completely ignore the likes of us. 

**** Sky. 

I'd imagine free entry had something to do with that. 

4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I'd imagine free entry had something to do with that. 

Of course. I had a quick check and it was £8/£4 for adults/kids for the Everton game. 

But my point was more the fact that facts never get in the way of promoting the game but ignoring the fact 5k turned up tells us exactly the way Womens football is going…and it won’t be including the likes of us. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Of course. I had a quick check and it was £8/£4 for adults/kids for the Everton game. 

But my point was more the fact that facts never get in the way of promoting the game but ignoring the fact 5k turned up tells us exactly the way Womens football is going…and it won’t be including the likes of us. 

Serious question and not a dig, how many do you think would've been at Easter Road if it wasn’t free entry? 

44 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Serious question and not a dig, how many do you think would've been at Easter Road if it wasn’t free entry? 

Impossible to guess…300?

By the way, I don’t tend to defend the women’s game. - I think it is over promoted and it’s impact on the wider club is minimal. I do think it’s an interesting study in how the brand is being developed using lessons from the men’s game (basically no diddy clubs allowed). 

Edited by Nookie Bear

Stendelnator
45 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Impossible to guess…300?

By the way, I don’t tend to defend the women’s game. - I think it is over promoted and it’s impact on the wider club is minimal. I do think it’s an interesting study in how the brand is being developed using lessons from the men’s game (basically no diddy clubs allowed). 

It would have been a healthy crowd, Hearts Women got more than 1,000 last time they played at Tynecastle. 

12 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

It would have been a healthy crowd, Hearts Women got more than 1,000 last time they played at Tynecastle. 

👍