Ryder Cup

Vlad Magic

50 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I remain sceptical. 

Fair enough

My own course has a waiting list of over 100 for the first time in nearly 10 years, and that is from being under the maximum numbers three years ago.

Junior Membership up 30%

Ladies Membership up 40%.

Beginners golf coaching vastly oversubscribed.

Speaking to other club members there is a similar picture at a healthy number of clubs in the area.

It may not last obviously but things massively on the up at present.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrymac

• Sooperstar

• Malinga the Swinga

• Samuel Camazzola

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Fair enough

My own course has a waiting list of over 100 for the first time in nearly 10 years, and that is from being under the maximum numbers three years ago.

Junior Membership up 30%

Speaking to other club members there is a similar picture at a healthy number of clubs in the area.

That's obviously good news. Out of interest what do the %s equate to in actual numbers?  I just believe numbers would be far greater if at the very least all the Mens and Womans majors + Ryder and Solheim cups were on fire to air live. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I remain sceptical. 

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Fair enough

Junior Membership up 30%

Similarly my club has a membership waiting list for the first time in around 20 years.

18 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That's obviously good news. Out of interest what do the %s equate to in actual numbers?  I just believe numbers would be far greater if at the very least all the Mens and Womans majors + Ryder and Solheim cups were on fire to air live. 

Agree on free to air. Although I believe a lot of junior golf is funded by Sky via payments to Home unions.

In terms of numbers our junior numbers are well in excess of 100 now, and Ladies numbers have shown an incredible increase over the last  five years, going from about 40 members up to over 100.

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Fair enough

Junior Membership up 30%

Golf was one sport to benefit from lockdowns, as folk joined golf clubs as you were allowed to play when most other sports were off limits. My Dad plays at Duddingston and said the number of new members joining last year was the highest in a long time.

1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

Golf was one sport to benefit from lockdowns, as folk joined golf clubs as you were allowed to play when most other sports were off limits. My Dad plays at Duddingston and said the number of new members joining last year was the highest in a long time.

Yep, its actually caused another problem, in that its pretty impossible to get a tee time any day any time.

Also courses are taking a hammering with the amount of play on a daily basis.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, merrymac said:

Fair enough

Junior Membership up 30%

Good to hear. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That would definitely help exposure, so much is on social media nowadays as a way to help the game grow. 
As it’s been said it is an expensive sport. 

Samuel Camazzola
46 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I reckon they will dominate this event for the forseeable sad to say. 

They have a cracking team and a handful of others that could have stepped into the side if picked. BUT, the same statement has been rolled out over the last 20 years. 

53 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They have a cracking team and a handful of others that could have stepped into the side if picked. BUT, the same statement has been rolled out over the last 20 years. 

Just my feeling. It's been a good run since 85 but there is a dearth of talent right now by compare to that era and this one. You look at the average age of the U.S team, 29, and they're probably only going to get better. The pendulum has finally swung back imo.

57 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Were they not saying the last time they won it was the start of an era where they'd finally got it. Almost trying to dismiss previous losses as down to attitude. It all starts here, then promptly lost the next one

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Just my feeling. It's been a good run since 85 but there is a dearth of talent right now by compare to that era and this one. You look at the average age of the U.S team, 29, and they're probably only going to get better. The pendulum has finally swung back imo.

This is just a myth and you'll know that if you watch the regular tour. 

I think Europe can win it back. Our fans will help and less Yanks with their boorish behaviour! I didn't really like the course and I'm sure some of our team didn't either. Just need to sort out our putting!

4 hours ago, Jeff said:

The Hojgaard twins & Guido Migliozzi are ones to watch.

Tell you what the Polish fella Adrian Meronk looks decent too

Yes! Niall Horan's Modest Golf Stable has Guido and Leona Maguire on their books...

Samuel Camazzola
25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Yes! Niall Horan's Modest Golf Stable has Guido and Leona Maguire on their books...

Guido has impressed over the last couple of seasons and hopefully he can keep progressing. 

Christiaan Bezuidenhout is part of Modest and looks like he is one who could seriously contend for Majors. Unfortunately, unless he does a Sabatini, won't be a Ryder Cup star for Europe. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Guido has impressed over the last couple of seasons and hopefully he can keep progressing. 

Christiaan Bezuidenhout is part of Modest and looks like he is one who could seriously contend for Majors. Unfortunately, unless he does a Sabatini, won't be a Ryder Cup star for Europe. 

:yas: 

We agree on something. Talent search and preparation, 2 years ain't long. Maybe the future has been inspired by the USA's big win, we'll need something extra special to beat the shermans in Rome, they have a really good team, with an abundance of talent just waiting in the wings.

On 27/09/2021 at 12:46, Pasquale for King said:

He should’ve won the Masters when Tiger did, he had played with him and beat him when he won the Open. He hit a tree and dumped his ball in the water at the 15th at Augusta and has never recovered. 
Hopefully he can find his way back. 

He has a back injury.

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If we do what Eurovision did and adopt Australia we should defo adopt South Africa.

They have some seriously good players coming through

The Mighty Thor
On 27/09/2021 at 13:39, Pasquale for King said:

I think you’re a bit out of date with that, there’s been a huge upsurge in folk playing the game during the pandemic. 
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/national-golf-foundation-reports-numbers-for-2020-were-record-se

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/golf-clubs-warned-pandemic-boom-wane/

That short term surge will fall off just as quickly as it came bud. 

The trajectory for golf is not upwards 

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That short term surge will fall off just as quickly as it came bud. 

The trajectory for golf is not upwards 

I agree that it’s an expensive sport but once you’ve got the bug again it’s hard to shrug it off. I hope it keeps growing. 
Europe certainly needs a upsurge in young golfers reaching the top of the game. 

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

:notsure:

Dead serious. He was the only major winner from back in the day not to get it. Faldo, Langer, Woosie, Seve, Ollie, but no Sandy. Pleased for Sam and Monty but Sandy should have got it.

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Dead serious. He was the only major winner from back in the day not to get it. Faldo, Langer, Woosie, Seve, Ollie, but no Sandy. Pleased for Sam and Monty but Sandy should have got it.

Thought you meant Lyle should have been captain this time. 😂👍🏻

Jimenez would have been my pick but happy with Stenson.

His methodical approach to detail could be key to getting the cup back in European hands.

We will likely be outgunned again by the Yanks. They will have a formidable team to choose from.