Psychiatry

rudi must stay

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Being a pedant, its actually about psychiatry the thread was about.

Psychology is a talking therapy, that a bit different from psychiatry which used talking to help diagnose the condition and then give you meds to treat the problem, they are an actual medical doctor. They’re are also a lot more expensive that a psychologist.

A psychologist if a doctor by virtue of PhD not a medical doctor.

You deserve a double Livia Soprano for that 

67ACB5FB-0EA0-4C06-B795-06C6CDF936B8.jpeg

3FB3196A-7082-4959-91D2-55F6DAFD8722.gif

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Being a pedant, its actually about psychiatry the thread was about.

Psychology is a talking therapy, that a bit different from psychiatry which used talking to help diagnose the condition and then give you meds to treat the problem, they are an actual medical doctor. They’re are also a lot more expensive that a psychologist.

A psychologist if a doctor by virtue of PhD not a medical doctor.

Actually psychology is the study of the human mind ! Psychiatry is methods used to treat the human mind ! If you really want to be pedantic 

Edited by JamesM48

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I didn’t say psychology was study of anything or what psychiatry was a method to treat anything 🤷🏻‍♂️ So your post is more a random statement than be a pedant.

image.gif.889e75e8c3eee014ee24d8bd5b687daa.gif

4A26D915-0D10-41AF-8ED9-F64065B6C818.gif

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

In my opinion it's the best sit com ever.   You can see the John cleese influence in Kelsey grammar but still brilliant.

Edited by Auldbenches

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

She was the youngest by 6 years. She was positively spoilt...My older sister and me didn't get the holidays to the USA (but we did get France and Spain). Moreover my father retired the year after I left for university so she saw him - for my childhood, he was commuting to London Sun to Fri and playing golf on weekends. If I had to consider the contrasts, I'd say it would be my older sister and me who have some cause for complaint, not her. Fact is that I recognise my older sister and me had it good too compared to many other kids, just not as good as my younger sister...

So you'd hold firmly to the line that your and your sisters' upbringing was stable and "boring even".  Are you absolutely sure that there were no issues there?  None at all?

45 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

James' counsellor Fred says he's too sexy for his hat.  James that is, not Fred.

C6537EB0-4BB8-41B6-80DA-C847B8227418.gif

49 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

So you'd hold firmly to the line that your and your sisters' upbringing was stable and "boring even".  Are you absolutely sure that there were no issues there?  None at all?

What ridiculous questions - You want to psychoanalyze me? Are you qualified?

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Ok I kinda see where those qus are coming from in retrospect. FWIW I get on fine with my parents, well my mother at least. My father has dementia and finds communication very difficult. I was never close to him but we've never had a cross word either.  On the plus side I never had to support Morton so did as he did and picked for myself the team nearest where I was born. I'm 47 in a couple of weeks and left home the day after I turned 18 to go to Uni. My father paid for a good education for me but I was never into golf so we just never really bonded. He's still my father though.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

What ridiculous questions - You want to psychoanalyze me? Are you qualified?

:whistling:

Ok I kinda see where those qus are coming from in retrospect. FWIW I get on fine with my parents, well my mother at least. My father has dementia and finds communication very difficult. I was never close to him but we've never had a cross word either.  On the plus side I never had to support Morton so did as he did and picked for myself the team nearest where I was born. I'm 47 in a couple of weeks and left home the day after I turned 18 to go to Uni. My father paid for a good education for me but I was never into golf so we just never really bonded. He's still my father though.

I was being a bit smart-arsed, but it wasn't meant unkindly.  However, if you'd ended up as a Morton supporter, I would have suggested counselling at least. :laugh:

They say you end up either being your parents, being the deliberate opposite of your parents, or else finding a spouse who does all that for you.  In the words of Philip Larkin:

screenshot-www.poetryfoundation.org-2021.09.21-00_45_04.png

As a Southside polis beat man I often offered a psychiatric diagnosis to a member of the public. You are f.....g nuts.  I often would also adopt the psychological role by advising if you are going to constantly have the urge to fight the polis, then you are going to suffer emotional and physical difficulties.

14 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I'd go further and say there is pressure to have problems! My sisters and me had the most stable upbringing you could imagine - boring even. Now it just so happens that my younger sister is gay and she thought my parents wouldn't accept it, and for whatever reason she went to a psychiatrist. Cut a long story short, she told me, I assured her our parents would be fine...She didn't do anything except pick a fight with my mother, and fall out with her for several years whilst wheedling herself in with my father - she created all sorts of trouble. Eventually I brought them together and they set aside their differences. Eventually she told my parents - just after she got married (without telling or inviting any of the family)  and lo-&-behold my parents were fine about it (though they did wonder "where it came from?" Haha Old people are funny!). What had happened was that this psychiatrist had delved into all my sister's insecurities - real and imagined - and my sister sat in my kitchen one evening when up visiting saying all this stuff about our parents being cold fish, rubbish parents, and that my mother is a closet lesbian herself! - Truly it was a crock of absolute shite! I told her so. Upshot is that I now don't have much of a relationship with my sister. I don't know if the psychiatrist turned her from bit of a drama queen into a manipulative, 2-faced wee so-&-so but she sure didn't help!

I’d suggest most of our insecurities are imagined but real to ourselves. Your sister was genuinely worried about something that was maybe at the time a taboo subject. I’d try and repair your relationship if you can with your sister. Life is too short. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Spellczech showing some resentment issues, they thought they didn't have. 

LOL thanks Prof Headcase...I have no time for one of my relatives. Sure that is the case in many a family.

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

I’d suggest most of our insecurities are imagined but real to ourselves. Your sister was genuinely worried about something that was maybe at the time a taboo subject. I’d try and repair your relationship if you can with your sister. Life is too short. 

Yeah but I only alluded to some stuff that she did. You guys are simply confirming my opinions of people who call themselves psychiatrists which I stated above! Haha - inference, joining up dots without all the facts, creating conclusions! It's all here.

A Boy Named Crow
16 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The thing the pills do is they mean you have no emotions. If he values feeling anything, which I would say is vital in life, he should stay away from psychiatrists 

You get good psyches and bad psyches, like any job, some folk are better than others.  The bad ones are very pill happy, throw you a prescription for SSRIs and send you on your way.  A good one will help you through the root causes etc and if necessary use meds 

16 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I'd go further and say there is pressure to have problems! My sisters and me had the most stable upbringing you could imagine - boring even. Now it just so happens that my younger sister is gay and she thought my parents wouldn't accept it, and for whatever reason she went to a psychiatrist. Cut a long story short, she told me, I assured her our parents would be fine...She didn't do anything except pick a fight with my mother, and fall out with her for several years whilst wheedling herself in with my father - she created all sorts of trouble. Eventually I brought them together and they set aside their differences. Eventually she told my parents - just after she got married (without telling or inviting any of the family)  and lo-&-behold my parents were fine about it (though they did wonder "where it came from?" Haha Old people are funny!). What had happened was that this psychiatrist had delved into all my sister's insecurities - real and imagined - and my sister sat in my kitchen one evening when up visiting saying all this stuff about our parents being cold fish, rubbish parents, and that my mother is a closet lesbian herself! - Truly it was a crock of absolute shite! I told her so. Upshot is that I now don't have much of a relationship with my sister. I don't know if the psychiatrist turned her from bit of a drama queen into a manipulative, 2-faced wee so-&-so but she sure didn't help!

I’ve re read this again and put my counselling head on ! You say that your sister thought your parents would not accept her sexuality ? That’s a common anxiety for gay or lesbians growing up and it’s a very real fear to be rejected by those who are meant to love you the most ( parents ) . You and your other sister didn’t have this fear and anxiety growing up so it didn’t intrude into your experiences of childhood and adolescence . 

Again due to feeling she may get rejected she didn’t tell your parents she was getting married . Why should she spoil her moment of societal acceptance and happpiness with the possible negative responses of her parents ? This would have caused her pain .   

The comment about your parents wondering “ where did it come from ? Regarding your sisters sexuality is very telling . Did they really not know their daughter that well enough to be genuine surprised or shocked about this revelation ? That’s sad that they didn’t as it evidences a void in their relationship . Seems your sister was right really. 

Again it’s your sisters experiences about her parents being “ cold fish “ to her . Sounds like they were emotionally unavailable to her when she needed that . You could have responded with more empathy to her in this instance . 

It’s no wonder you do not have much a relationship with as you seem to be repeating behaviours your parents were displaying so creating a gulf between you and your sister . I beg to differ the psychiatrist . I think she has really helped your sister . 

All my analysis ! 👍

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Agreed 

20 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

You get good psyches and bad psyches, like any job, some folk are better than others.  The bad ones are very pill happy, throw you a prescription for SSRIs and send you on your way.  A good one will help you through the root causes etc and if necessary use meds 

Yes they can do a combo of both 

16 hours ago, Spellczech said:

She was the youngest by 6 years. She was positively spoilt...My older sister and me didn't get the holidays to the USA (but we did get France and Spain). Moreover my father retired the year after I left for university so she saw him - for my childhood, he was commuting to London Sun to Fri and playing golf on weekends. If I had to consider the contrasts, I'd say it would be my older sister and me who have some cause for complaint, not her. Fact is that I recognise my older sister and me had it good too compared to many other kids, just not as good as my younger sister...

You need to speak to someone about all this stuff. 

Yeah but I only alluded to some stuff that she did. You guys are simply confirming my opinions of people who call themselves psychiatrists which I stated above! Haha - inference, joining up dots without all the facts, creating conclusions! It's all here.

Yeah it’s all pretty loose advice. I don’t know the facts. Maybe your mum is a closet lesbian? Who knows and who really cares? 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes they can do a combo of both 

They all just send you pills. Anyway a few months and I'll stop taking them 

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

The bad ones prescribe mad drugs. I've had a few gp trainees as well a belter moment was him pointing as his head and calling them doctors of the mind like the welcome to the world of tomorrow guys in Futurama 

Edited by rudi must stay

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve re read this again and put my counselling head on ! You say that your sister thought your parents would not accept her sexuality ? That’s a common anxiety for gay or lesbians growing up and it’s a very real fear to be rejected by those who are meant to love you the most ( parents ) . You and your other sister didn’t have this fear and anxiety growing up so it didn’t intrude into your experiences of childhood and adolescence . 

Again due to feeling she may get rejected she didn’t tell your parents she was getting married . Why should she spoil her moment of societal acceptance and happpiness with the possible negative responses of her parents ? This would have caused her pain .   

The comment about your parents wondering “ where did it come from ? Regarding your sisters sexuality is very telling . Did they really not know their daughter that well enough to be genuine surprised or shocked about this revelation ? That’s sad that they didn’t as it evidences a void in their relationship . Seems your sister was right really. 

Again it’s your sisters experiences about her parents being “ cold fish “ to her . Sounds like they were emotionally unavailable to her when she needed that . You could have responded with more empathy to her in this instance . 

It’s no wonder you do not have much a relationship with as you seem to be repeating behaviours your parents were displaying so creating a gulf between you and your sister . I beg to differ the psychiatrist . I think she has really helped your sister . 

All my analysis ! 👍

Are you qualified in any way to do "analysis"? Well I'll give you this - you've done exactly the same re my sister, as a professional psychiatrist did re my mother. Make a bunch of inferences and reach conclusions without ever having met the person....So that's us back exactly where we started, and my original point is now validated.

9 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Yeah it’s all pretty loose advice. I don’t know the facts. Maybe your mum is a closet lesbian? Who knows and who really cares? 

Haha yeah, she's not. I'm sure the gay gene is in the family, but on my father's side where I have a spinster aunt who I'm pretty sure is. But as you say, who cares...

10 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

You need to speak to someone about all this stuff. 

? All what stuff? - I have no problems. I get on fine with my parents and one of my 2 sisters. My parents taught us to be independent, hard-working, and good savers. Thus I have no mortgage, no debt at all. I have my own family. The only problem I have in my life is that Covid killed my business and I had to go back into paid employment, which is a bit of a pain, but I'm adjusting...

16 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Are you qualified in any way to do "analysis"? Well I'll give you this - you've done exactly the same re my sister, as a professional psychiatrist did re my mother. Make a bunch of inferences and reach conclusions without ever having met the person....So that's us back exactly where we started, and my original point is now validated.

Yes actually I am ! I’m only making an hypothesis  on the information you provided . Don’t shoot the messenger 

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes actually I am ! I’m only making an hypothesis  on the information you provided . Don’t shoot the messenger 

I don't have a problem with you theorising anything about what I wrote. Just observing that it proved my point.

One thing I'll add, is that I don't regret patching up my sister and mother's relationship, fact that it ultimately cost my own relationship with her is ok (She's high drama, my sister - I'm sure you understand better than anyone else on here what I mean by that. It was exhausting. Things are better as they are. She's in London, I'm in Edinburgh, my other sister is in Brazil, my parents in Glasgow. It's not like we all live in Albert Square)

Edited by Spellczech
it not is

47 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I don't have a problem with you theorising anything about what I wrote. Just observing that it proved my point.

One thing I'll add, is that I don't regret patching up my sister and mother's relationship, fact that it ultimately cost my own relationship with her is ok (She's high drama, my sister - I'm sure you understand better than anyone else on here what I mean by that. It was exhausting. Things are better as they are. She's in London, I'm in Edinburgh, my other sister is in Brazil, my parents in Glasgow. It's not like we all live in Albert Square)

High drama ? ? How would I know that better than others. !! 😀

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

So, you want to bang yer ma, eh?

_77670989_freud-engraving.jpg

No, but someone else's maw? .... There's a blonde at work who walks past my desk every day in these supertight dresses - cracking figure, serious 10/10, but she has these photos of a toddler all round her monitor...

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

4d7446ecf7fbd41355de42ad712eaf6b94-12-si

Sigmund says, "Close enough, see if you can get her in zee stationery cupboard, ja."

I'd get sacked for breaching Covid protocols...

The only problem I have in my life is that Covid killed my business and I had to go back into paid employment, which is a bit of a pain, but I'm adjusting...

Good luck with that pal. 👍