Psychiatry

rudi must stay

34 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

What are people's thoughts on it 

More than has it's merits.  They are different from psychologists in that they are there to provide answers and remedies.

The problem just now is no one is getting to see any of them Dave to face and there's no way they can really gauge how someone is without seeing them.  

Psychiatry can be very good for people but it's getting to see anyone.

What's your thoughts on it.

The key is that they are different from psychologists. 

Still too stigma about seeing a counsellor or psychiatrist I feel . If you broke your arm you would seek medical help so what’s wrong with seeking help with your mental health ? It’s well worth it , even if you have to pay 

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

More than has it's merits.  They are different from psychologists in that they are there to provide answers and remedies.

The problem just now is no one is getting to see any of them Dave to face and there's no way they can really gauge how someone is without seeing them.  

My thoughts are it isn't real medicine to be honest. Doesn't help people infact makes them feel judged and feel worse 

9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Lots are doing face to face meetings now and have been for months. 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

My thoughts are it isn't real medicine to be honest. Doesn't help people infact makes them feel judged and feel worse 

It isn't medicine but they do prescribe what they think is appropriate.   

I don't understand how your point about judging and making them worse. 

Just now, Savage Vince said:

Lots are doing face to face meetings now and have been for months. 

Nor according to the people I've spoken to.  Can't get to see anyone and haven't for two years.  

That's from those wanting the help.  

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Nor according to the people I've spoken to.  Can't get to see anyone and haven't for two years.  

Tell them to look harder. 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I'll take that bit out as it's wrong. They don't judge 

3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

That’s just not true . Unless your talking about Fred counselling ? 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

How do they make them worse. They make them worse by not really being bothered and that is my experience 

Just now, Savage Vince said:

Tell them to look harder. 

These are service users and have been for years.  

How do you know they haven't looked?

Or even what health region? 

They aren't lying.

How do they make them worse. They make them worse by not really being bothered and that is my experience 

I wouldn't disagree with that.  That's what they are supposed to do, but there many who would agree with you.  

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I wouldn't disagree with that.  That's what they are supposed to do, but there many who would agree with you.  

They should give a jot yes 

My thoughts are that if you've came away from a psychiatrist feeling judged and like they don't give a jot, you've seen someone who isn't doing their job properly.

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I meant free counselling not “ Fred “ lol 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Actually the counsellor might be called Fred so maybe it’s not a typo after all 😂

They should give a jot yes 

That's why we need each other to step up. 

Like myself, you've probably seen better advice on here in the depression thread, and probably more empathy.

Really heartening to see how many react on here when someone posts about their own personal concerns. 

Leave it to the services and it's too late 

Story in the record this morning about from Birmingham on holiday here and drove home because she was very unwell. 

Was told an emergency mental health team were going to come and see her.  Never turned up and she took her life.

Tragic 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Most people are needing free counselling. 

What of you can't afford it?

Two years is two long not to see someone face to face.

You also can gauge how bad someone is on a phone call.

Ok if you can afford to go private but how many can?  

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

That's why we need each other to step up. 

Like myself, you've probably seen better advice on here in the depression thread, and probably more empathy.

Really heartening to see how many react on here when someone posts about their own personal concerns. 

Leave it to the services and it's too late 

Story in the record this morning about from Birmingham on holiday here and drove home because she was very unwell. 

Was told an emergency mental health team were going to come and see her.  Never turned up and she took her life.

Tragic 

They are common ordinary people. Not the arrogant jumped up types the NHS hire. It's an NHS problem 

11 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Most people are needing free counselling. 

What of you can't afford it?

Two years is two long not to see someone face to face.

You also can gauge how bad someone is on a phone call.

Ok if you can afford to go private but how many can?  

Yes I agree it should be free but you didn’t say “ free counselling “

originally 

They are common ordinary people. Not the arrogant jumped up types the NHS hire. It's an NHS problem 

Without a doubt.  I know people through something I do that are getting nowhere when asking for help from community psychiatric nurses or consultants.

They haven't seen anyone for over two years.

If they never had things like peer support groups,  they would have nowhere to turn. 

People have died because of it, and if that doesn't shock them into action, what does? 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I agree it should be free but you didn’t say “ free counselling “

originally 

No way.  Off course we are talking about the nhs services.  

Do most of your friends and family pay for counselling?  

That was a cheap cop out.

12 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Expected more empathy regarding this subject. 

No way.  Off course we are talking about the nhs services.  

Do most of your friends and family pay for counselling?  

That was a cheap cop out.

Expected more empathy regarding this subject. 

No as I said you said counselling . I thought of the wider picture as there is also counselling people pay for . Nothing wrong with that . It is wrong that people have to wait for a long for any service from the nhs or charities which provide mental health support/ counselling . More funding from the Govt is required . If people wish to pay for counselling then that’s fine too . If it helps them why not ? . 

I'm currently out in the car park of one just now. My daughter having her first session. Stresses of school (she thinks) etc are bringing on panic attacks and just horrible feelings in general.

Breaks my heart seeing someone so young have to do this but at the same time we couldn't do nothing. Just hope it helps 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

My friend has been waiting for around 3 years now after his initial referral. Obviously lockdown played a big part and he did phone up when the lockdown eased and there is still a long waiting list.

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, Pap said:

My friend has been waiting for around 3 years now after his initial referral. Obviously lockdown played a big part and he did phone up when the lockdown eased and there is still a long waiting list.

The thing the pills do is they mean you have no emotions. If he values feeling anything, which I would say is vital in life, he should stay away from psychiatrists 

14 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The thing the pills do is they mean you have no emotions. If he values feeling anything, which I would say is vital in life, he should stay away from psychiatrists 

Stay away from psychiatrists ? Why ? They do invaluable work 

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Stay away from psychiatrists ? Why ? They do invaluable work 

It's dangerous medicine in my opinion. Dangerous people. Could you imagine living with no emotions other than fear everyday JamesM48?

Edited by rudi must stay

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

He is going to see about having ADHD. The meds he may get arent anti-depressants. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

67867114.jpg

That's really funny. 

No one has said people can't pay for counselling, but I I wasn't referring to that.

I'd keep your memes for another subject. 

9 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

That's really funny. 

No one has said people can't pay for counselling, but I I wasn't referring to that.

I'd keep your memes for another subject. 

Maybe being trivial here but I don’t think we laugh and enjoy ourselves enough anymore. It’s all pressure to succeed. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Maybe being trivial here but I don’t think we laugh and enjoy ourselves enough anymore. It’s all pressure to succeed. 

Not just pressure to succeed, it's becoming difficult in different ways.

Don't mind a meme but you expect a better reply if effort has been put in on a serious subject. 

We would all go for whatever help we need if we could afford it, how many can?  

It was obvious we were talking about the public services on offer.  

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Eh? It's a thread about the merits of psychiatry and I posted a picture of one of the most famous fictional psychiatrists of all time, who may, thanks to the show's popularity, turned people on to the field. Indeed, a lass I know who was a real uberfan of the show, ended up getting into the subject herself.

Let's meet for a cappuccino at Cafe Nervosa to discuss matters further :) 

Sorry mate   back of the wheatfield...

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

My thoughts are that if you've came away from a psychiatrist feeling judged and like they don't give a jot, you've seen someone who isn't doing their job properly.

or it is the wrong psychiatrist for you. there are different types, the way they interact with and try to help you. for some people one psychiatrist will help them immediately due to their methods but for others they wont and might make it worse.

4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I'd go further and say there is pressure to have problems! My sisters and me had the most stable upbringing you could imagine - boring even. Now it just so happens that my younger sister is gay and she thought my parents wouldn't accept it, and for whatever reason she went to a psychiatrist. Cut a long story short, she told me, I assured her our parents would be fine...She didn't do anything except pick a fight with my mother, and fall out with her for several years whilst wheedling herself in with my father - she created all sorts of trouble. Eventually I brought them together and they set aside their differences. Eventually she told my parents - just after she got married (without telling or inviting any of the family)  and lo-&-behold my parents were fine about it (though they did wonder "where it came from?" Haha Old people are funny!). What had happened was that this psychiatrist had delved into all my sister's insecurities - real and imagined - and my sister sat in my kitchen one evening when up visiting saying all this stuff about our parents being cold fish, rubbish parents, and that my mother is a closet lesbian herself! - Truly it was a crock of absolute shite! I told her so. Upshot is that I now don't have much of a relationship with my sister. I don't know if the psychiatrist turned her from bit of a drama queen into a manipulative, 2-faced wee so-&-so but she sure didn't help!

rudi must stay
57 minutes ago, Pap said:

He is going to see about having ADHD. The meds he may get arent anti-depressants. 

Tell him to go and see a councillor, warm people that will listen. Pills are all the same, they sick any pleasure out of life trust me

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

It is indeed a fine line between recognising issues and fermenting them. I've known people on both sides of the equation.

Indeed. I would say it is professional negligence for a psychiatrist to be telling a young woman that her mother (whom she's never met) is a closet lesbian and a crap parent, but I don't regard psychiatrists as professionals... I have no doubt that some are indeed very good, but I'd bet the majority are just nosy folk who like to poke around in other people's insecurities. It's a very dangerous area of pseudo-medicine...especially the way that "mental health" has exploded - there will be all kinds of shysters and snake-oil salesmen trying to take advantage. No wonder the NHS gets it tight...

51 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Not just pressure to succeed, it's becoming difficult in different ways.

Don't mind a meme but you expect a better reply if effort has been put in on a serious subject. 

We would all go for whatever help we need if we could afford it, how many can?  

It was obvious we were talking about the public services on offer.  

No it was not obvious I hat it was about public services . The discussion was about the merits of psychology 

33 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'd go further and say there is pressure to have problems! My sisters and me had the most stable upbringing you could imagine - boring even. Now it just so happens that my younger sister is gay and she thought my parents wouldn't accept it, and for whatever reason she went to a psychiatrist. Cut a long story short, she told me, I assured her our parents would be fine...She didn't do anything except pick a fight with my mother, and fall out with her for several years whilst wheedling herself in with my father - she created all sorts of trouble. Eventually I brought them together and they set aside their differences. Eventually she told my parents - just after she got married (without telling or inviting any of the family)  and lo-&-behold my parents were fine about it (though they did wonder "where it came from?" Haha Old people are funny!). What had happened was that this psychiatrist had delved into all my sister's insecurities - real and imagined - and my sister sat in my kitchen one evening when up visiting saying all this stuff about our parents being cold fish, rubbish parents, and that my mother is a closet lesbian herself! - Truly it was a crock of absolute shite! I told her so. Upshot is that I now don't have much of a relationship with my sister. I don't know if the psychiatrist turned her from bit of a drama queen into a manipulative, 2-faced wee so-&-so but she sure didn't help!

You do know that two different children can have very different experiences of living in the same family group ? Just because it was ok for you it doesn’t mean it was ok for your sister . Sounds like you have struggled to accept her experience as it conflicts with your own one . 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You do know that two different children can have very different experiences of living in the same family group ? Just because it was ok for you it doesn’t mean it was ok for your sister . Sounds like you have struggled to accept her experience as it conflicts with your own one . 

She was the youngest by 6 years. She was positively spoilt...My older sister and me didn't get the holidays to the USA (but we did get France and Spain). Moreover my father retired the year after I left for university so she saw him - for my childhood, he was commuting to London Sun to Fri and playing golf on weekends. If I had to consider the contrasts, I'd say it would be my older sister and me who have some cause for complaint, not her. Fact is that I recognise my older sister and me had it good too compared to many other kids, just not as good as my younger sister...

You all need to watch “ The Sopranos” it highlights how the patient / counsellor really well  . Therapy Mainly helps  people reflect on their coping mechanisms and how they can have a negative impact  on their relationships and responses to life in general . Early childhood experiences do impact on us and how we deal with things as adults I believe .  . At  the end of the therapy the patient should feel they are able to

manage their lives more effectively ( in other words be more happy ) 😂however you could go mad over Analysing everything ! 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I'm sure Freud would read plenty into that comment ;)

Anyway, nothing wrong with going to see a psychiatrist. Not always sure they're helpful, however. If some folk find them helpful, then that's cool.

Freudian slap?   

Twice I've used this ...