Volcano Las Palmas

steve123

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's been theorised for many years.  If there's a major slip of La Cumbre Vieja into the ocean then there could be a massive Tsunami.  

That is absolutely crazy but after the last couple of years who knows ...

15 minutes ago, steve123 said:

That is absolutely crazy but after the last couple of years who knows ...

A side slip eruption.  The whole side of the volcano could slip into the ocean and pretty much cause the same sort of water displacement as a sub-ocean earthquake.  As it radiates west,  there's not much to dissipate the energy before it reaches North America.  

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

A side slip eruption.  The whole side of the volcano could slip into the ocean and pretty much cause the same sort of water displacement as a sub-ocean earthquake.  As it radiates west,  there's not much to dissipate the energy before it reaches North America.  

Scary stuff, I was reading they would have 6-8 hours to flee but that is horrendous.

Just now, steve123 said:

Scary stuff, I was reading they would have 6-8 hours to flee but that is horrendous.

Roughly yes.  It could move across the Atlantic at around 500 to 600 mph with very little amplitude until it reaches the continental shelf.  Then the amplitude would build to a huge wave.

16 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Which is of course nowhere near enough time to evacuate a city. Also the small problem of Florida being pancake flat if it were to hit there. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Which is of course nowhere near enough time to evacuate a city. Also the small problem of Florida being pancake flat if it were to hit there. 

Totally surreal to be honest !!

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yeah but land would cause the tsunami wave to break, just as as shallow water would. Not sure how far a tsunami goes over land and there might be a surge of some sort but it surely wouldn't be more than a few miles at most (Google says up to 10 miles).

10 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

I’m in Tenerife just now thankfully can’t see anything on the horizon 🙏

Horizon only 14 miles away, get yersel up El Tiede, us Brits, expect a full report by noon...:biggrin:

13 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah but land would cause the tsunami wave to break, just as as shallow water would. Not sure how far a tsunami goes over land and there might be a surge of some sort but it surely wouldn't be more than a few miles at most (Google says up to 10 miles).

While I don't think there's going to be such a tsunami, or at least not anytime soon, I do think such a wall of water hitting the American East coast and advancing inland 10 miles would be catastrophic. Millions could die while the material damage would be incalculable.

Shanks said no

We have been to La Palma and our hotel was around 20km south of where it is erupting. Some of the tremors pre-eruption are plotted below the hotel!

I was booking a Canaries holiday last Friday and debated going back there but chose Jandia as the food was better in the hotel there. Might have been lucky for once.

For anyone wanting data etc on volcanoes / earthquakes then this is a good site

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/la-palma/news/141838/La-Palma-volcano-Canary-Islands-Spain-activity-update.html

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

While I don't think there's going to be such a tsunami, or at least not anytime soon, I do think such a wall of water hitting the American East coast and advancing inland 10 miles would be catastrophic. Millions could die while the material damage would be incalculable.

The US has a load of buoys floating in the Oceans which would alert them to a giant swell. Evacuating people 10 miles would not be that difficult as the traffic would all be one way so you'd just use both sides of the road to get the hell out of Dodge...In places like NYC the first few buildings might get hit hard but it wouldn't be a domino effect, the wave would be broken so as long as you are up a few storeys you'd be ok.

39 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The US has a load of buoys floating in the Oceans which would alert them to a giant swell. Evacuating people 10 miles would not be that difficult as the traffic would all be one way so you'd just use both sides of the road to get the hell out of Dodge...In places like NYC the first few buildings might get hit hard but it wouldn't be a domino effect, the wave would be broken so as long as you are up a few storeys you'd be ok.

Even if all the traffic was going the same way it would be chaos. You just have to look at the city bypass or Queensferry Road. I’ve also driven a fair bit in LA with massive freeways through the city that get gridlocked on a regular basis. The 405 is one of the biggest roads I’ve ever driven on and I’ve done a lot of it at 5mph. 

29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Even if all the traffic was going the same way it would be chaos. You just have to look at the city bypass or Queensferry Road. I’ve also driven a fair bit in LA with massive freeways through the city that get gridlocked on a regular basis. The 405 is one of the biggest roads I’ve ever driven on and I’ve done a lot of it at 5mph. 

But emergency services would all be focussed on keeping the traffic moving - nobody is going to slow down to rubberneck a shunt or breakdown if there's a tsunami coming! Besides if I lived in Florida I'd take my chances in a medium height building with a large footprint, back from the seafront with an inflatable rubber ring - better than getting caught in your SUV any day! Haha

55 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Exactly, I struggle just to get to work in the rush hour in Oklahoma. Constant slow downs. See accidents all the time. Not happening but the aftermath of roads snarled up even more.

Imagine that magnified many times over as an entire population all tries to hit the same roads at the same time after little to no notice. Here's the news, hit the road now if you wanna live.

Throw in Americans and their guns and you've got another catastrophe brewing even before the wall of water arrives.

6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Megatsunami explained here

Great video. Does seem like parts of the world are on a knife-edge for the time being, but will have to face it sooner or later...

Howdy Doody Jambo
43 minutes ago, kila said:

Great video. Does seem like parts of the world are on a knife-edge for the time being, but will have to face it sooner or later...

Planet Earth has been on a knife-edge for the last 4 and a half billion years, volcanoes and all types of weather are just part of it 

Shanks said no

lavamap21sep21.jpgIn the last hours, the lava flows have been approaching the urban centers of Todoque town, part of Los Llanos de Aridane, located southwest of area known as Isla Bonita.