Thinking ahead

tcjambo

Some very interesting results in the league these days. Does start to look like the OF are not going to have it their own way this year. I  know it's early days but, should we reach January and there is little between the top teams, would you support the club pushing the boat out on signings to try to win the SPFL? I  guess we would probably need a top striker (for our level) and possibly one or two other areas.

Edited by tcjambo

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Pasquale for King

• Jambo61

• part_time_jambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Some very interesting results in the league these days. Does start to look like the OF are not going to have it their own way this year. I  know it's early days but, should we reach January and there is little between the top teams, would you support the club pushing the boat out on signings to try to win the SPFL? I  guess we would probably need a top striker (for our level) and possibly one or two other areas.

If we can afford it, yes. If we can't, no.

Leveins Battalion

We need to get to a point where we are only signing 2/3 players per window.

Pretty sure soon with the continued level of FoH pledges we will be very competitive in the transfer market.😎

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We need to get to a point where we are only signing 2/3 players per window.

Pretty sure soon with the continued level of FoH pledges we will be very competitive in the transfer market.😎

In the 'free transfer market'! We won't be shelling out big fees!

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Even outwith wining the league, 3rd place could be very rewarding. 

The of will be way out in front at some point tho, unfortunately. 

Absolutely. 

I'd put every penny we had into it. 

When a non OF team eventually wins the league, it has to be us. 

Imagine watching on if it was Aberdeen or worse, Hibs.  

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

In the 'free transfer market'! We won't be shelling out big fees!

I think yu will see us bid for players sooner rather than later. 

The midfield lad at St Mirren and Fuchs at Utd are the type of players I'd like us see bid for. 

gordon simpson
13 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

What about the match officials though, can't see anything changing in Scottish fitbaw 

exactly Scottish football west coast bias is ingrained in our game 

Leveins Battalion

No way have we appointed,Savage,Lancefield and Brown to shop about for free transfers.😂😂

Already this window we have paid fees for Beni and Devlin.🤣

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

The midfield lad at St Mirren and Fuchs at Utd are the type of players I'd like us see bid for. 

But it won't be big money........£50k here and £100k there!

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

But it won't be big money........£50k here and £100k there!

I think we'll buy a player for around £500k or so within he next 2 summer windows, if the opportunity arises. 

We should be going for that St Mirren lad imo. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

No way have we appointed,Savage,Lancefield and Brown to shop about for free transfers.😂😂

Already this window we have paid fees for Beni and Devlin.🤣

Yip, we are planning for the future. 

2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Being at or near the top of the league in September means diddly squat. 3 seasons ago we were top well into November and finished 6th.

After years of pushing the boat out, it nearly sank in 2013 with all hands on deck.

The speculate to accumulate model has had its day in Scottish football.

Edited by Beni

Every season there is talk of a challenge by one team or another at this stage. Every season ends the same, sorry for being so negative but this year will be no different. 

6 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Every season there is talk of a challenge by one team or another at this stage. Every season ends the same, sorry for being so negative but this year will be no different. 

Imagine this squad with a top manager 😍

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Absolutely. 

A non-of team won't win the league until someone is prepared to back one of the other clubs with big money over several years. Can't see it happening unfortunately.

part_time_jambo
9 minutes ago, db211833 said:

It's not negative, it's realism.

7 minutes ago, db211833 said:

If either of the uglies falls behind or sees an outside challenge going into January, they will simply throw money at it to get the players in to deal with it.

For a side like Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen to overcome that from both of them is improbable.

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

:cornette:

Don't think Pep or Tuchel will be jumping at the chance to manage us, somehow.

part_time_jambo
2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

It would make no difference. This squad still can't beat Hibs, Aberdeen or the mighty Ross County.

1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

It's not negative, it's realism.

Precisely.

The closest we have come to that was in the 2005-2006 season where a combination of Vlad brain-farts and suspicious refereeing decisions ended that.  That was all done with completely out of control spending that nearly killed the club.

avhudtheteeshirt

It looks to me that the Old Firm are not going to get it all their own way this season!

The refs will have a big say in the matter, even today look at their fouls for and against, and bookings???

That is why no matter how hard any other team tries, they will be suppressed by curious refereeing decisions!!!!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Absolutely. 

Hibs win the league 

neilson/budge delighted with us finishing in a European spot - great season :)

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Hibs win the league 

:sleep1:

Here was me thinking FOH were in charge now.

8 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

It would make no difference. This squad still can't beat Hibs, Aberdeen or the mighty Ross County.

True. Strange we’d build a squad around beating Celtic, St Mirren and Dundee United 🤯

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree with  you SRB,

Love to see us go in for McGrath, but have a feeling the lochenders will go back in for him again.

13 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Neither can the OF

10 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Hibs win the league 

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

:rofl:

:rofl:

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If either of the uglies falls behind or sees an outside challenge going into January, they will simply throw money at it to get the players in to deal with it.

For a side like Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen to overcome that from both of them is improbable.

True, unfortunately.

part_time_jambo
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:sleep1:

Here was me thinking FOH were in charge now.

On that point, how does it work that the majority shareholder/owners don't control what happens at the club? It didn't work that way with Robinson, Vlad, Budge etc.

Can you imagine the Man City owners for example putting in all that money, buying the club, then saying "ok, you can run it for me, I don't get a say in any decisions"? 

18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Precisely.

The closest we have come to that was in the 2005-2006 season where a combination of Vlad brain-farts and suspicious refereeing decisions ended that.  That was all done with completely out of control spending that nearly killed the club.

We were closer in 97/98 with a more modest squad. Would love to see us put together a team of similar stature again.

part_time_jambo
53 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think we'll buy a player for around £500k or so within he next 2 summer windows, if the opportunity arises. 

Sorry, buying "a" player for £500 would be a waste of money. It won't make any difference to the Rangers-Celtic duopoly, and shouldn't be necessary to just finish 3rd.

Just now, part_time_jambo said:

On that point, how does it work that the majority shareholder/owners don't control what happens at the club? It didn't work that way with Robinson, Vlad, Budge etc.

Can you imagine the Man City owners for example putting in all that money, buying the club, then saying "ok, you can run it for me, I don't get a say in any decisions"? 

The fans get to elect the people onto the board to run the club.  They don't get to sack the manager because some have a personal issue with Robbie Neilson, for example - that would just lead to chaos.

24 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

A non-of team won't win the league until someone is prepared to back one of the other clubs with big money over several years. Can't see it happening unfortunately.

I've said for years a Samsung or British Gas or some big company might buy a Scottish club, rename the stadium etc, free wall to wall advertising, build a team to get into Europe, more free advertising etc etc etc...........eventually cheaper than paying for adverts!!!!!!!!!

part_time_jambo
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The fans get to elect the people onto the board to run the club.  They don't get to sack the manager because some have a personal issue with Robbie Neilson, for example - that would just lead to chaos.

I get that, and agree with too many opinions being unworkable, but do the fans elected representatives control the running of the club the way previous majority shareholders/owners did? i.e. have the final say?

Edited by part_time_jambo
policing my own grammar

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yet the holders of original shares, that were worthless when the club nearly disappeared have a shareholding with a vote and potentially a value...........how's that work?

1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

I get that, and agree with too many opinions being unworkable, but do the fans elected representatives control the running of the club the way previous majority shareholders/owners did. ie, have the final say.

NO!

55 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sorry but no chance we will be paying £500k for a player 

Throw in wages for this £500k player then your talking over a million so it ain’t happening 

Rangers drop two points at home after winning last 20 odd games in a row and all of a sudden we are talking about challenging for the league 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

We cant beat a terrible Aberdeen team and hibs at home and will be at least 20 points behind rangers and Celtic in a few months 

3 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

I get that, and agree with too many opinions being unworkable, but do the fans elected representatives control the running of the club the way previous majority shareholders/owners did? i.e. have the final say?

I'm not an expert on the detail of the FOH rules - perhaps someone more knowledgeable on them can elaborate.

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Throw in wages for this £500k player then your talking over a million so it ain’t happening 

Rangers drop two points at home after winning last 20 odd games in a row and all of a sudden we are talking about challenging for the league 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

We cant beat a terrible Aberdeen team and hibs at home and will be at least 20 points behind rangers and Celtic in a few months 

Didn't we pay £500k for Petric? Remember how that worked out.

:jj_facepalm:

part_time_jambo
1 minute ago, theshed said:

Far too realistic for here!

3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

I've said for years a Samsung or British Gas or some big company might buy a Scottish club, rename the stadium etc, free wall to wall advertising, build a team to get into Europe, more free advertising etc etc etc...........eventually cheaper than paying for adverts!!!!!!!!!

In theory.  But shareholders would maybe have something to say. That would be a huge gamble and not please all their customers either

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Even outwith wining the league, 3rd place could be very rewarding. 

The of will be way out in front at some point tho, unfortunately. 

Does 3rd place get a guaranteed group place in any of the European peasant cups? 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

No. Nothing has changed, Budge still runs the club 

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

Exactly. Rangers and Celtic will be streets ahead by the end of the season.  It’s how it works over 38 games.  Talk of title challenge is fanciful and dreamland. 
What we need to do is aim 100% for 3rd place as the euro money for that is £3m+  and we cannot let Hibs get their hands on that.  It doesn’t bear thinking about