Jimmy Greaves…RIP

Angel eyes

RIP Greavsie

Recommend you google Greavsie’s commentary of the u17 World Cup final in 89 between Scotland and Saudi Arabia.  ****ing hilarious.

11 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Very sad to hear. His partnership with Ian St John on the television was wonderful. 

The chemistry between them was excellent.  As I recall, it came about after Saint had Greaves on as a guest on his show, and the audience feedback was so positive that ITV decided to bring Greaves on board permanently as part of the show.  It was a brilliant decision.

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Only saw footage of his playing days but his goalscoring record is phenomenal.

Pity about the injury in 66 he deserved to play in the final and get why he didn't feel part of it.

Saint and Greavsie was just brilliant. They two just combined so well together

Brian Clough once pointed out that he had a better goal scoring record than Greaves (in fact, Clough probably pointed out far more than once).  Greaves pointed out that Clough did his scoring in the then second division while Greaves did it in the top flight.

Greaves autobiography is a good read, especially considering what he went through off field.

Best bit for me is when he talks about Dave McKay coming to Spurs, says he was the missing part of the jigsaw that turned Spurs from a very good side into a great side that won the double.  He cites McKay as the best footballer he ever played with.

When you consider some of the players he played with, including England players who went on to win the WC, that's some testimony.

jack D and coke

Loved Saint & Greavsie as a young lad. My old man said he was something else as a player. 
Saint passed away fairly recently too. Two fantastic players and guys. Two proper handsome *******s in their day as well. These old geezers are a cut above imo. 
RIP Greavsie. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Loved Saint & Greavsie as a young lad. My old man said he was something else as a player. 
Saint passed away fairly recently too. Two fantastic players and guys. Two proper handsome *******s in their day as well. These old geezers are a cut above imo. 
RIP Greavsie. 

This is something that gets at me. Especially with the anecdotes about Dave McKay.  That era were proper gentlemen, respectful but no doubt ruthless when they needed to be. There will be a few stories that’ll never see the light of day no doubt.

Proper men. 

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

This is something that gets at me. Especially with the anecdotes about Dave McKay.  That era were proper gentlemen, respectful but no doubt ruthless when they needed to be. There will be a few stories that’ll never see the light of day no doubt.

Proper men. 

Dave was my sister in laws uncle and I met him a few times. I wanted him to do the billy bremner pic with me at my brothers wedding but he told me didn’t like that image of him. I was partly kidding but I’d have loved it if he’d done it :lol: 

Billy tried to do him after his leg break and he lost the rag he said but it portrayed him as a bully he thought. Not his style at all. 
My dad is a Rangers man but said Dave might’ve been the best player he’s ever watched in the flesh. 

These older guys are a dying breed. 
Edit my dad could play as well apparently. His best pal John White was also some player👍🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

23 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

So sad to hear this news. One of the greatest strikers ever and he won his battle with alcohol to become an inspiration to many.

To then become part of a brilliant partnership on TV with Ian St John was wonderful. 

I wish he had played in the 1966 World Cup as he would have shown the world what he could do.

He did play in the 1966 World Cup but his contribution was hampered by injury.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I am aware of that, sirwalter. However I didn't word it properly.

Thanks for picking me up on it....

Heard a very interesting and quite moving radio programme some years back in which Jimmy spoke at some length about not being selected for the final. Probably the most iconic player I have seen at Tynecastle. 

Jimmy Greaves and many others like him were from an era when they knew how fortunate they were to be footballers, as it meant they weren't having to go down the pit or do some mundane factory job. Although compared to today's footballers they were by no means earning a fortune, their weekly wage was still a bit above the average working man's wage, and even more so from 1960 when the maximum wage of £20pw was abolished.

They appreciated it far more than the vast vast majority of modern day footballers do.

16 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Dave was my sister in laws uncle and I met him a few times. I wanted him to do the billy bremner pic with me at my brothers wedding but he told me didn’t like that image of him. I was partly kidding but I’d have loved it if he’d done it :lol: 

Billy tried to do him after his leg break and he lost the rag he said but it portrayed him as a bully he thought. Not his style at all. 
My dad is a Rangers man but said Dave might’ve been the best player he’s ever watched in the flesh. 

These older guys are a dying breed. 
Edit my dad could play as well apparently. His best pal John White was also some player👍🏼

The book "the ghost of White Hart Lane" is excellent. 

It's written by John White's son. 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

The book "the ghost of White Hart Lane" is excellent. 

It's written by John White's son. 

Nice one. Mibbe get it for my dad👍🏼

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I am aware of that, sirwalter. However I didn't word it properly.

Thanks for picking me up on it....

You can’t sneeze on here without being picked up on.  🙄

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Nice one. Mibbe get it for my dad👍🏼

It really is excellent. A bit poignant because John White died when his son was barely a toddler. 

So, in part, it's about the son finding out what sort of person his father actually was. 

The mother remarried, and the family just didn't talk about John White. Not out of malice, they all just moved on... 

The book was triggered by the author finding a box of memorabilia about his father in the loft. 

It's gives a really good feel for football at that time, and the Spurs team specifically. 

More about John White and Dave Mackay.

How Dave Mackay would get the team bus to pick up John White's son and take him to the match when Derby played in London.

Been featured here before but a wonderful story about the wonderful game.

(Possible paywall though)

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13204228.farewell-dave-hero-side/

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, CF11JamTart said:

It really is excellent. A bit poignant because John White died when his son was barely a toddler. 

So, in part, it's about the son finding out what sort of person his father actually was. 

The mother remarried, and the family just didn't talk about John White. Not out of malice, they all just moved on... 

The book was triggered by the author finding a box of memorabilia about his father in the loft. 

It's gives a really good feel for football at that time, and the Spurs team specifically. 

Nice one man cheers I’ll defo check that out. A proper shock the way John died. Talk about bad luck.