Jimmy Greaves…RIP

Angel eyes

I liked Greavsie.

Liked a wee laugh about the "Jocks", especially goalies, but it was always good natured.

RIP, Jimmy.

Would love to see the S&G clip after Jimmy insisted Henry Smith couldn't possibly be Scottish as he was too good. The following Saturday Henry showed his birth certificate to camera then said his teammates had a special message for him.

Camera panned to the squad who turned around and did the one arm under the other, giruy gesture.

Edited by martoon

Shanks said no

I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2011. He was staying in the same hotel in Lanzarote as us. Mentioned I was a Hearts man and he smiled from ear to ear.  He regaled me with tales of Dave MacKay.

From then on we were nodding acquaintances. One thing you saw by watching him from afar was that everyone wanted to talk to him, he never got a minutes peace.

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2011. He was staying in the same hotel in Lanzarote as us. Mentioned I was a Hearts man and he smiled from ear to ear.  He regaled me with tales of Dave MacKay.

From then on we were nodding acquaintances. One thing you saw by watching him from afar was that everyone wanted to talk to him, he never got a minutes peace.

Tremendous 👏🏼👏🏼

Guess The Crowd
16 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Great memories, things like that. I met Dave MacKay at a hotel in Spain during the 1982 World Cup. Great guys, and wonderful players. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

An integral part of my childhood. Pivotal viewing on a Saturday. 

This. Sad news.

59 minutes ago, martoon said:

I liked Greavsie.

Liked a wee laugh about the "Jocks", especially goalies, but it was always good natured.

RIP, Jimmy.

Would love to see the S&G clip after Jimmy insisted Henry Smith couldn't possibly be Scottish as he was too good. The following Saturday Henry showed his birth certificate to camera then said his teammates had a special message for him.

Camera panned to the squad who turned around and did the one arm under the other, giruy gesture.

Was a great bit of TV. And Greaves took it in good spirit. Rip to a real legend 

I only saw him play in his twilight years but remeber him saying how he didn't shoot to score, just passed it into the net. 

I'm pretty amazed he made it this far, given his battle with booze throughout his life. 

Saturdays back then. Bit kids telly. Saint & Greavsie, listening to radio from 3pm (When ALL the games were played) then vidiprinter on World of Sport

As others have said Saint & Greavsie was top telly. Not as po faced as other football shows. Paved the way for the likes of Soccer AM

and, of course he played for West Ham.

RIP Greavsie

Probably the finest finisher England have ever produced and a great guy to boot. RiP Jimmy Greaves. A very sad loss to football and the world in general.

S&G on a Saturday was a staple when i was a kid. Unreal goalscorer , his scoring rates were just levels and it wasn’t just in one league or at one team it was everywhere he played. Sad news , RIP ❤️

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I’ll have to dig it out but I have a book somewhere of the 100 best British players ever, something along those lines.

Dave Mackay had an entry, and in his piece, Jimmy Greaves said he was the best player he’d ever played alongside. 

Jimmy was an absolutely brilliant player himself. 

RIP, JG.

3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

This ..Greavsies’ wise cracks and Saints’ hearty laugh...great entertainment! 

RIP.

complete control
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

He always maintained that Dave Mckay was the best spurs player ever. Some alocade coming from him.

Shanks said no
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’ll have to dig it out but I have a book somewhere of the 100 best British players ever, something along those lines.

Dave Mackay had an entry, and in his piece, Jimmy Greaves said he was the best player he’d ever played alongside. 

Jimmy was an absolutely brilliant player himself. 

RIP, JG.

This is from a mirror article when Dave died in 2015 but originally from 2011

Jimmy “In bars, we would win so many pints off fellow drinkers, when I would bet people that I was actually taller than him. This barrel-chested Scot had such a physical presence and was so famed for his fierce determination that, when we were both sitting on barstools, you'd think he was 6ft or more.

But he was actually only 5ft 7in a fact which won us bets with many a mug punter. Dave won the Double, two more FA Cups and a European Cup Winners Cup with Tottenham after previously inspiring his boyhood club Hearts to the first of only two Scottish League titles in the 20th century.”

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, complete control said:

He always maintained that Dave Mckay was the best spurs player ever. Some alocade coming from him.

same article I just quoted

My old Tottenham team-mate Dave Mackay was the most complete professional footballer I've ever known, on and off the pitch.

He was a genuinely hard b****d and a truly gifted ball player a combination which is so rare.

Dave could play in any outfield position, was a world-class midfield enforcer and sweeper and even understudied for me up front when I was suspended for a European semi-final.

He was also a first-rate p***-taker, a great drinking partner and lover of life

3 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Also a world class finisher in his day,  no mean feat when you consider what players there was then....👏👏👏👏👍👌

Saw him many times at Spurs and Chelsea.

I think I remember him scoring with a scissors kick on his return match to Spurs from Italy. Not seen very often in the UK at that time.

R.I.P. Jimmy.

32 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

This is from a mirror article when Dave died in 2015 but originally from 2011

Jimmy “In bars, we would win so many pints off fellow drinkers, when I would bet people that I was actually taller than him. This barrel-chested Scot had such a physical presence and was so famed for his fierce determination that, when we were both sitting on barstools, you'd think he was 6ft or more.

But he was actually only 5ft 7in a fact which won us bets with many a mug punter. Dave won the Double, two more FA Cups and a European Cup Winners Cup with Tottenham after previously inspiring his boyhood club Hearts to the first of only two Scottish League titles in the 20th century.”

👍🏻

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Teaming up again with St John for a heavenly Saint & Greavsie. RIP a great player. 

4 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Very sad to hear. His partnership with Ian St John on the television was wonderful. 

Best football show on the telly (if you're old enough to remember 😁).

Too young to see him play.  I just about recall WC 66 but not any games Greaves played in. 

RIP

Only saw footage of his playing days but his goalscoring record is phenomenal.

Pity about the injury in 66 he deserved to play in the final and get why he didn't feel part of it.

Saint and Greavsie was just brilliant. They two just combined so well together

For all the memories, I find myself gravitating towards his famous criticism of British weather forecasters. There's something truly special about this, and he does have a valid point. 

Credit to @jbee647 for sourcing that Tynecastle pic - my screen saver for this week. 

4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Saturdays back then. Bit kids telly. Saint & Greavsie, listening to radio from 3pm (When ALL the games were played) then vidiprinter on World of Sport

As others have said Saint & Greavsie was top telly. Not as po faced as other football shows. Paved the way for the likes of Soccer AM

and, of course he played for West Ham.

RIP Greavsie

😭😢😥 they were amazing days....seems a long time ago now 😭😢😥

Guest ToqueJambo

Probably up there slagging off the Jock goalies. Rightly so, most were absolute shite at that time. Him and Saint were the antidote to Bob Wilson's more serious take on things - great entertainment.